Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #1

What are these for?

I bought my 08 Flagstaff 831QBSS used this spring, and over the summer have pretty much figured everything out. There are 2 things that I need help with still. First, there is a switch in the cabinet where my gauges, water heater and pump are that I dont know what it does. The only thing I can figure is that this trailer has heated tanks and this switch is to turn that on. Second, there are red and blue hoses that come out under the trailer near the sewer connection, anyone tell me what they are for? Pictures of both items below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1369.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1370.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1371.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1815   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1372.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1816   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1373.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1817  

SLEDJED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #2

I am going to guess that the switch is for holding tank heaters and the two pipes are your low point drains.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:51 PM   #3

I'm with Kim.
tank heater switch and low point drain lines
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #4

So what did you hit with your camper?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #5

previous owner blew a tire in a construction zone, good thing my best friend owns a auto body shop!!
SLEDJED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #6

I can at very least see an elbow heater installed, as far as tank heaters go I would attempt to confirm that. Some people believe that because they have a "heated or enclosed underbelly" they don't need to heat the tanks. Depending on climate or furnace usage (manufacturer's idea of heated is usually a vent pipe "leaking" in the enclosed area and is only good if furnace is running) this may or may not be true, it varries between make and model. Living in MT I would not depend on the enclosed or "heated" underbelly...I'd freeze up in a heartbeat! So again, I would confirm the tank heaters, but it looks like at least an elbow heater to protect what is outside. Also be careful of your battery usage with the heaters on...it can drain things pretty quickly if you're not paying attention. Look at http://www.ultraheat.com to determine the amperage of each of the heaters so you might be able to predict the usage. They also tell how to test them once installed, so that could be a good way to make sure it's the right switch, and make sure they work.

As others stated the two pipes are your low point drains for winterizing, and they are sticking out quite a bit, so I would be wary of those freezing as well. A solution would be to at least shorten them up to just below the spray foam so they're less exposed.

I'm currently working on some winter fixes for my TT and will post soon, and let everyone know how it works come hunting season. Hopefully I won't have to learn the hard way what I may have missed!

P.S. Don't run the tank heaters without water in the tanks!

froale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

The indicator light in the switch shows only that the circuit to the heaters has been energized. There is an in-line t-stat that comes on when temperature dips to 44 degrees. It is at that temperature that the heating pads get turned on. Once outdoor temps go back above 45 degrees and the t-stat senses it the heater will turn off but the light will remain on the indoor switch until it is manually turned off.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #8

Yes I have the same model in the Rockwood and they are the tank heaters. The red and blue lines are your low point drains. The drain valves are in the cabinet below the pantry near the water pump.

Carl
cenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #9

We also have those drain lines that you have shown, is there anything special that needs to be done when winterizing? Also do all models have drain valves? I have never seen any and wasnt sure if our set up was the same, we have a 8296..thanks
blue eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #10

New question for old thread......SORRY

I know this thread is kinda old but I couldn't figure out how to start a new one. I'm part of the computerly challenged group, so much to look at that I sometimes miss the obvious!

My question is- In the 1st pic from sledjed in the lower left there is a switch with water heater at the top,switch-on, light-reset. What is it, got one on mine can't figure it out.

Thanks, Kirk
KirkwoodinLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Kirk, that switch works the propane side of your water heater. Open the valves to your gas tanks, cut the switch to on, and you should be good to go. The red reset lite will cut on as the heater tries to light automatically, then turn off after the water heater burner lights.

The electric element is operated by a switch on the outside of the unit. Make sure you have water in the heater before operating either, but especially the electric element.....a dry tank will fry that puppy in a heart beat.

As far as starting a new post, click on what category you want to post under from the main page, then under that category there should be a button on the upper left for "New Threads". Click that and start filling in the blanks.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to BENTE
if you click the topic of general discussion. at the top of all the thread names there is a tab that says "new thread" it looks like a feather and peice of paper are besid those words. to start a new thread just click that tab..

i am pretty new at this camper stuff and the switch you pointed out is your water heater switch. if it is in the up position it means you are running on electricity. in the down (labeled on) position it means you intend to run on gas.. there is another switch in your control access pannel (on the outside of your camper). you have to openthat pannell and toggle a switch in there also.. however i am not sure why. there was a thread some time ago about water heaters that has pictures here is the url http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ead.php?t=5270 ...

like i said i read it awhile back and that is all i remember..

i hope this helps you

tb

2009 Wildwood 26tbss
Nights Camped in 2010 38
BENTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENTE View Post

i am pretty new at this camper stuff and the switch you pointed out is your water heater switch. if it is in the up position it means you are running on electricity. in the down (labeled on) position it means you intend to run on gas.. there is another switch in your control access pannel (on the outside of your camper). you have to openthat pannell and toggle a switch in there also.. however i am not sure why. there was a thread some time ago about water heaters that has pictures here is the url http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ead.php?t=5270 ...

i hope this helps you
BENTE, if your water heater is like mine, I don't think the inside switch has anything to do with electric element....it only works the gas burner. The outside toggle switch only works the 120v electric. You can actually have both the electric element and propane burner on at the same time if you want quicker water heater recovery. Each switch is independent of the other.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to BENTE
good to know thanks!!

but i don't think i will need them both at the same time..

tb

2009 Wildwood 26tbss
Nights Camped in 2010 38
BENTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #15

Sorry, didn't read the second page. mtnguy has already answered your question better than I could.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:04 AM   #16

That switch is for the gas portion of the water heater. A lot of the rvs have gas/electric water heaters. If you have no electric hookup you use the lp to heat the water. Some people also use both the gas and electric to get a quicker recovery on the water heater.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #17

Thanks for all the info, ya'll are great!!! Looking forward to learning more about my camper, there's alot to absorb, thankfully there's a place to help with that.

Thanks again, Kirk
KirkwoodinLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #18

reset light

That light just shows that the water heater is turned on.
squeers is offline   Reply With Quote