Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2022, 12:17 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
Our Albertsons/Safeway Rewards is only good for the first 25 gallons. Still better than nothing.

Our biggest tank is only 20 gallons making me wish we carried a gas can around to get our full value.

Even if it were for the first 25 gallons, that's a deal and worth it to go there. Unfortunately, no Albertsons/Safeway's around here. There are a couple grocery chains here that offer fuel rewards, but not many of the stores have gas stations too, so we're limited and I'd have to drive 20 miles one way to get to one of those stations from where I live. I'd burn up any savings having to go that far just for gas. Plus, they don't give anywhere near a 50 cent discount and normally its only on the first 10 gallons, and none of them offer diesel.
__________________
2020 Forest River Sabre 37FLH
2013 Ford F-350 XL Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel DRW
Tulip, the Wonder-Shepherd
GPs37FLH is offline  
Old 03-10-2022, 12:34 PM   #82
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Covid and the War have messed up supply chains. I am willing to pay higher prices to stop importing oil from Russia. Even though the US has recently been a net exporter of oil we still need imports. The refineries in the US were mostly retooled in the 1990s and early 2000s for heavy sour crude. Now fracking is mostly producing light sweet crude. We import oil with a profile to fit our refineries.

I agree with you and I'm also willing to pay more to stop the Russian imports. Not sure I agree yet with ending the embargo with Argentina to substitute for the shortfalls on Russian oil. But, unless US oil producers start to build new drilling sites on areas they already have rights to, there's not much of an alternative, other than pressuring the middle east for increased production. I don't see any incentive for US or middle eastern producers to budge when prices per barrel and per gallon of gas hit new records every day. They can just sit back, do nothing, and continue to make record profits.
__________________
2020 Forest River Sabre 37FLH
2013 Ford F-350 XL Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel DRW
Tulip, the Wonder-Shepherd
GPs37FLH is offline  
Old 03-10-2022, 02:17 PM   #83
Fully COVID-19 vaccinated
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: About 30 miles west of Beantown.
Posts: 3,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2aBus View Post
You say you rates for electric have not changed but your BILL must have increased! If not what did you disconnect electrically at your home to off-set the additional electric to charge the car???

My electric rate aka the amount I pay per kW of electricity hasn't changed in several years. That's what I'm referring too. Of course my electric bill has gone up since I bought my car but the amount I "pay at the pump" has remained flat.
__________________

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now  
Old 03-10-2022, 02:29 PM   #84
Member
 
Craig and Carol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Lake Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 71
New normal

Shorter trips and longer stays...we don't eat out often, so not much of a change. Different times require new adaptations.
Craig and Carol is offline  
Old 03-10-2022, 03:24 PM   #85
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Novi, MI USA
Posts: 511
Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
My first post-retirement trip last year was cheap and used very little gas.

Amtrak from Detroit to San Diego, Bicycle from San Deigo to St Augustine, My son drove me from St Augustine to Detroit. All told over 6000 miles, 9+ weeks and less than $6000 dollars staying at some of the finest motels and campgrounds in the middle of no where. About as cheap a vacation as I could do.

https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot...hern-tier.html

In the past I drove my bike to someplace to ride, for the last two years I have biked from home with 2 exceptions (one being to the train station for my cross country ride). This saves gas and adds extra exercise. The trips to start biking were 3-10 miles each way, so now I get 6-20 more miles on a given ride than many of my co-riders and save gas. Now the spring is almost here, I also plan to bike to the store more often.

On our motorhome I am adding a back box that will hold two bikes, mine and an eBike for my wife. We can use these for short trips (under 20 miles) around parks and to stores. Saves gas and burns enough calories that I can stop and enjoy local bakeries without putting on more weight.

I think others have said this, all conditions are temporary, both the good and the bad. So enjoy when times are good and know that bad time will end. Most of the changes are far outside of our control (world politics, health issues, wars), we can only control how we respond. I try to be kind to others.
NoviBill is offline  
Old 03-10-2022, 03:33 PM   #86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
I think others have said this, all conditions are temporary, both the good and the bad. So enjoy when times are good and know that bad time will end. Most of the changes are far outside of our control (world politics, health issues, wars), we can only control how we respond. I try to be kind to others.

Well said, Bill....."This Too Shall Pass".
__________________
2020 Forest River Sabre 37FLH
2013 Ford F-350 XL Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel DRW
Tulip, the Wonder-Shepherd
GPs37FLH is offline  
Old 03-10-2022, 05:36 PM   #87
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 5,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Well said, Bill....."This Too Shall Pass".
I would say that the jury is still out on that one. We have entered uncharted territory. We've never experienced fuel price increases at this rate, not even during the Oil Embargoes of 1973-74 or 1979. These increases affect everything, not just what you put in your tank. Remember the old saying, "If you got it, it came by truck". At the current rate we have two more steps, stag-flation and recession.
__________________
'07 K3500 Silverado LT Crew Duramax (LBZ)
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now  
Old 03-10-2022, 05:46 PM   #88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 14,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2aBus View Post
You say you rates for electric have not changed but your BILL must have increased! If not what did you disconnect electrically at your home to off-set the additional electric to charge the car???
I too own an EV (Chevy Volt) and use it for everything but towing my trailer.

When I bought it I installed a Level II charger in my garage and at the same time converted every light bulb in the house to LED. Also got rid of the extra refrigerator in the garage which was an older power hog we'd saved when the new one arrived.

The electric bill remained the same as I was able to save enough in modernizing to offset.

Also saved an average of $400/month when I stopped using the truck for my "runaround vehicle". I only have to buy gas once a year with the Volt as it's computer forces the engine to run periodically. I usually buy ~ 4 gallons (1/2 tank) just to make the computer happy. Rest of the time I use it as a 100% EV versus a Plug-In Hybrid.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will." (Japanese Proverb)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now  
Old 03-10-2022, 06:46 PM   #89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I would say that the jury is still out on that one. We have entered uncharted territory. We've never experienced fuel price increases at this rate, not even during the Oil Embargoes of 1973-74 or 1979. These increases affect everything, not just what you put in your tank. Remember the old saying, "If you got it, it came by truck". At the current rate we have two more steps, stag-flation and recession.

You're correct, DW....the point of my reply was that this is all temporary, as Bill originally said in his earlier post. High costs of oil and fuel, everything that depends on fuel prices, higher inflation and a possible recession....its all temporary and will get better with time and positive attitudes. We all just need to be patient for this to work itself out. Better times are ahead for all of us.
__________________
2020 Forest River Sabre 37FLH
2013 Ford F-350 XL Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel DRW
Tulip, the Wonder-Shepherd
GPs37FLH is offline  
Old 03-10-2022, 07:23 PM   #90
Fully COVID-19 vaccinated
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: About 30 miles west of Beantown.
Posts: 3,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I too own an EV (Chevy Volt) and use it for everything but towing my trailer.

When I bought it I installed a Level II charger in my garage and at the same time converted every light bulb in the house to LED. Also got rid of the extra refrigerator in the garage which was an older power hog we'd saved when the new one arrived.

The electric bill remained the same as I was able to save enough in modernizing to offset.

Also saved an average of $400/month when I stopped using the truck for my "runaround vehicle". I only have to buy gas once a year with the Volt as it's computer forces the engine to run periodically. I usually buy ~ 4 gallons (1/2 tank) just to make the computer happy. Rest of the time I use it as a 100% EV versus a Plug-In Hybrid.

It varies based upon weather and my driving habits but my car typically gets 4 mile per kW. After all fees, my home electric rate is $0.26 per kW which translates into my car costing me $0.065 per mile to operate. Gas prices around me currently hover around $4.80 per gallon.That calculates out to 74 miles per gallon equivalent.
__________________

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is online now  
Old 03-10-2022, 07:52 PM   #91
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 14,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
It varies based upon weather and my driving habits but my car typically gets 4 mile per kW. After all fees, my home electric rate is $0.26 per kW which translates into my car costing me $0.065 per mile to operate. Gas prices around me currently hover around $4.80 per gallon.That calculates out to 74 miles per gallon equivalent.
Wow, that's twice what I pay per Kwh. I'm served by a Public Utility District. A lot cheaper than what I've read about from "Private" suppliers.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will." (Japanese Proverb)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now  
Old 03-10-2022, 07:55 PM   #92
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 14,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Well said, Bill....."This Too Shall Pass".
But why does it have to feel so much like a Kidney Stone as it passes?
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will." (Japanese Proverb)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now  
Old 03-10-2022, 08:01 PM   #93
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 15
I'm glad that those that can are still able to travel but unfortunately that's not us. Not delving into politics but here's how I'm dealing the current inflation that I'm pretty sure will be with us for at least the next 3 years and will probably take a couple years after that to get back to any sense of normalcy. We are retired and on a fixed income so after agonizing over the decision, we put the travel trailer and truck up for sale today. No problem selling the truck and I've already received offers for more that I paid for it back in 2020. Have to wait and see on the TT. My thoughts are the RV industry and market will crash and we just can't afford to miss the window on selling. It's a gamble but what's the point of having an expensive toy that you can't afford to use. Not having these payments, taxes and insurance costs will go a long way to helping us survive the next few years. If we were still working I wouldn't be writing this so it is what it is. We've been RVing over 25 years and we'll miss it. Good luck and our prayers are with all of you as well as for our country.
__________________
'19 East to West 29KRK
'20 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi
bstar1952 is offline  
Old 03-10-2022, 08:27 PM   #94
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstar1952 View Post
I'm glad that those that can are still able to travel but unfortunately that's not us. Not delving into politics but here's how I'm dealing the current inflation that I'm pretty sure will be with us for at least the next 3 years and will probably take a couple years after that to get back to any sense of normalcy. We are retired and on a fixed income so after agonizing over the decision, we put the travel trailer and truck up for sale today. No problem selling the truck and I've already received offers for more that I paid for it back in 2020. Have to wait and see on the TT. My thoughts are the RV industry and market will crash and we just can't afford to miss the window on selling. It's a gamble but what's the point of having an expensive toy that you can't afford to use. Not having these payments, taxes and insurance costs will go a long way to helping us survive the next few years. If we were still working I wouldn't be writing this so it is what it is. We've been RVing over 25 years and we'll miss it. Good luck and our prayers are with all of you as well as for our country.
I hear you, I'm retired too. I hope it doesn't get to the point of us selling our new-to-us Yukon Denali and our trailer. But I think we will be making half of the trips we have planned.

Also, I just converted one of my 2% cash rewards on everything cards to a card that gives me 5% cash back on what category I spend the most on, so that will be exclusively gas. At 4.60/gal, the card will give me $.23 per gallon back. That's better than the $.10/gal discount most stations are offering for cash/debit.
NavyLCDR is offline  
Old 03-10-2022, 08:57 PM   #95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Novi, MI USA
Posts: 511
Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
But why does it have to feel so much like a Kidney Stone as it passes?
Best quote of the year!
__________________
=================================
Bill & Renee from Novi, Michigan
2006 Lexington 255DS
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline  
Old 03-10-2022, 09:19 PM   #96
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 5,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
Best quote of the year!
X10,000
TheWolfPaq82 is offline  
Old 03-11-2022, 07:24 AM   #97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
But why does it have to feel so much like a Kidney Stone as it passes?

Got that right, Mike!
__________________
2020 Forest River Sabre 37FLH
2013 Ford F-350 XL Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel DRW
Tulip, the Wonder-Shepherd
GPs37FLH is offline  
Old 03-11-2022, 08:15 AM   #98
Member
 
SVTodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
You're correct, DW....the point of my reply was that this is all temporary, as Bill originally said in his earlier post. High costs of oil and fuel, everything that depends on fuel prices, higher inflation and a possible recession....its all temporary and will get better with time and positive attitudes. We all just need to be patient for this to work itself out. Better times are ahead for all of us.
Yes be patient...because a little time is what all Ponzi schemes need to work themselves out. It always works out in the end! LOL!

Anybody who thinks the dramatic increase of fuel prices are solely the result of the Ukraine invasion have their head in the sand. We (as in the good old USA) have kicked the can down the road too many times. Eventually we are going to have to pay the piper.
__________________
2021 Adrenaline 34GM toyhauler
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500 Denali 6.0 Gas
Propride 3P hitch
SVTodd is offline  
Old 03-11-2022, 09:18 AM   #99
Defender of America
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTodd View Post
Yes be patient...because a little time is what all Ponzi schemes need to work themselves out. It always works out in the end! LOL!

Anybody who thinks the dramatic increase of fuel prices are solely the result of the Ukraine invasion have their head in the sand. We (as in the good old USA) have kicked the can down the road too many times. Eventually we are going to have to pay the piper.
Glad to see someone else also believes in the reality that all around us!
__________________
Retired USAF
2021 Freedom Express 192RBS
2020 F150 STX 4X4 w/Coyote V8
Centerline TS WDH
2004 Heritage Softtail Harley Davidson
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 03-11-2022, 09:42 AM   #100
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 5,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
But why does it have to feel so much like a Kidney Stone as it passes?
Great analogy! If you've ever had a kidney stone you'll understand that before it's over there will be blood, sweat and tears!
__________________
'07 K3500 Silverado LT Crew Duramax (LBZ)
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.