Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 10:40 AM   #1

What are you doing to adapt to current times

This is not meant to be a gas price watch or political comment thread. Hopefully those commenting will resist the urge

It's a given that current events have caused prices for EVERYTHING to go up.

What are you doing to adjust and meet the challenges?

Eating out less?

Traveling less?

Planning trips, both local errand types as well as longer travel?

Lowering the heat setting in your house or RV and just wearing warmer clothes?

Care to share what you are doing, or planning to do, in order to deal with the increased costs?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
Old 03-09-2022, 10:44 AM   #2
KSH

Educating others on the importance of voting.
Old 03-09-2022, 10:47 AM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

I was already taking many of the above listed 'austerity measures'. Hoping wife continues to be able to work from home (3 days per week, goes in for 2), that has already saved us a ton on commuting costs. Now, it's become even more valuable.

Will definitely be gathering firewood and splitting logs a good part of Spring and summer to heat house next year.

Considering cancelling far away RV destinations and trying to find something nearby instead.
Old 03-09-2022, 10:58 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
What are you doing to adjust and meet the challenges?
If I'm being completely honest... nothing.

Prices go up every single year due to things beyond my control. It's just part of life.

I'm not eating out any more or less than I used to. I'm not driving any more or less than I used to. I'm not cancelling any planned trips or vacations.

I don't exactly live an extravagant lifestyle as it is.

I'm just living my life as best as I can and will continue to do so for as long as I can.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

Prices go up every single year due to things beyond my control. It's just part of life.

I'm not eating out any more or less than I used to. I'm not driving any more or less than I used to. I'm not cancelling any planned trips or vacations.

I'm just living my life as best as I can and will continue to do so for as long as I can.
Totally agree that prices are beyond our control but when they increase abnormally isn't it usually necessary to take some conservation measures?

I too don't live an extravagant lifestyle and fortunately have no debt. Still I am starting to look more closely on what I spend and what I spend it on. The more I save on a day to day basis the more I'll have for camping trips.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 03-09-2022, 11:08 AM   #6
Fully COVID-19 vaccinated

Having an electric car as my daily driver is a HUGE help. Since I mostly charge at home and my electric rates have not risen in a few years, my "fuel" costs have remained unchanged.

As far as my RV goes, I have trips that were planned long before Russia invaded Ukraine so those are still on. Future trips will be decided on a case by case basis.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
Old 03-09-2022, 11:15 AM   #7
Professional Curmudgeon

I've been storing my truck at the Ford dealership since before Christmas. This has saved me lots of money on fuel, travel, camping, going to the hardware store. In fact, just about every aspect of my life has ground to a halt waiting for them to get it repaired...
Old 03-09-2022, 11:16 AM   #8
D W

My bride and I went through this before, 44 years ago, while raising two kids. It wasn't easy. We both made a lot less money back then and those dollars didn't go that far. You had to count your pennies and be smart about your life style. We made it, but it was a rough couple of years. We learned some valuable lessons on the first go-around, so we are better prepared this time. Personally, I see no light at the end of the tunnel. I believe it's going to get worse before it gets better.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 03-09-2022, 11:17 AM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

Getting rid of cable tv years ago was one of the biggest cost cutting measures I've ever made. I know I've saved MANY thousands of dollars over the years. Ditched home phone too. Saving money, and no more criminals calling the house 10 times per day.

**Ok, I added it up. It's been 10 years, saving a thousand dollars per year. $10,000 saved.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:20 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Totally agree that prices are beyond our control but when they increase abnormally isn't it usually necessary to take some conservation measures?
Depends on your personal situation I guess.

As my kids like to say "I here for a good time, not a long time." I want to enjoy the time I have here.

Could I skimp a few pennies here and there by buying generic groceries and never going out to eat or forgoing traveling anywhere fun or refusing to set my thermostat any higher than 65 in the winter and any lower then 85 in the summer? Sure. But that doesn't sound like fun at all.

I know people that live like that. Then they die and all that money they saved over their lives ends up not doing them any good at all.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:22 AM   #11

We also have adopted austerity methods; driving a LOT less, home thermostat down two degrees, not eating out (we seldom ate out before covid), buying more healthy food and less junk food, and just generally being more aware of what we need vs what we want.
We presently have three vehicles, two of which are "daily drivers". We're considering parking one of the two, simply because we don't drive either of them enough to justify the expense of two "daily drivers ". My wife's classic car might or might not come out of storage this summer. That depends on other "non covid" and "expensive fuel" issues.
As far as this year's camping trips, we still plan on our usual yearly trip to Michigan's upper peninsula. Otherwise we plan on offgrid camping much more than previous years. That isn't necessarily an issue of increased costs though. I've been adding to our solar and battery capacities, just so that we could go off-grid for longer periods of time.
We've also decided to keep our F-150 instead of purchasing a newer tow vehicle. At 185,000 miles, the Ecoboost still does an admirable job of pulling the camper and we can't justify the cost of buying a newer truck. It's kind of senseless to spend $50K on a truck that I drive 5000 miles per year.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:23 AM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

65 deg is fine, you get used to it. 85 not! I set it at 75 in summer. And I've been buying more and more generic groceries at half cost of brand names. Adds up to more than just a few pennies. Most of the time it's worth it. Some generic stuff just stinks. You find out quick.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

These are my thoughts and actions to a T. We have been retired for 7 years, are in our early 60s and not getting any younger. Covid already took nearly 2 years out of our long distance travels. We are not rich, but our needs and bills are few and we (ok, it was Liz) planned well, so money is not our main concern. Time is.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
Old 03-09-2022, 11:35 AM   #14

Making money with real estate to keep up with rising prices.

I have always been a frugal person after years of going to college and grad school, it becomes a habit. We still go out to dinner and events. I like to travel with a trailer. Things cost more. No big deal. Boondocking, river trips, backpacking do not cost much except for fuel. Just pay it.
Old 03-09-2022, 12:45 PM   #15

Was just doing some math. My wife and I are planning 2 week trip to Gulf Shores in July. I did the math today and our gas and campground fees are about half as much as we would spend flying and staying at a mid-range hotel. I told her we are still going but maybe not eating out as much. We are also choosing to on shorter trips for our weekend excursions.
Old 03-09-2022, 12:55 PM   #16

We have been anticipating this for some time. I can't help but ponder Psalms 146:3 "Do not put your trust in princes nor in a son of man, who cannot bring salvation."
Man-made governments do not have solutions. Jesus laid out the answer in the Lord's prayer: "thy Kingdom come." It's the only government that can solve the problems.
Old 03-09-2022, 12:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
65 deg is fine, you get used to it. 85 not! I set it at 75 in summer. And I've been buying more and more generic groceries at half cost of brand names. Adds up to more than just a few pennies. Most of the time it's worth it. Some generic stuff just stinks. You find out quick.
I've been used to 65 in the house (and TT) for as long as I can remember. I just don't run around in shorts (the outdoor kind) and T-shirts during winter time. I find a long sleeved flannel or "Chamois" shirt very comfortable along with a pair of blue jeans.

70+ in the house is way to warm for me. Guess I'm just an outdoor type person.

As for heat? Don't do well in it and that takes me out camping more during the hot weather. Nature provides all kinds of natural air conditioning like next to a mountain stream in the woods. Fortunately there are numerous such sites within 60 miles or so from my house.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 03-09-2022, 01:13 PM   #18

KSH

You are so right!

Educating others on the importance of voting.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:24 PM   #19

A Canadian here so I'll be jumping back and forth a bit on dollars and gallons.
Average price of Diesel fuel here is $702.7 CDN for a US gallon. Using 25% as an exchange rate leaves us at $5.27/gallon USD. According to AAA the average for Diesel in the US today is $4.88 and going up as I type. When pulling the 2511S we get an average of 10.5/11.5 miles per US gallon or pretty close to 50 cents per mile. I travel at 60 MPH and that makes it $30/hour for 8 hours a day and you're about $225/$250 per day of travel time. We presently have a trip planned that will take us 2.5 months and 4020 miles based on Google maps but we know it's always a bit more. For quick figuring that's close to 400 gallons at $5.00/gallon (today's average) or $2000 USD. Now add in that 25% for Canadian exchange and I'm at $2500 for fuel. We planned to leave the middle of April so who knows where it could be by then but I'm willing to bet it won't be less. Now add in the Travel Medical Insurance for the two of us 79 year old's to the tune of $2400 and I'm in for $5000 and I haven't left the driveway yet. We will be boondocking about half the time but the first Campground I checked is up 60% over their 2019 rate, the last time we were there. For us $$$$ are a non-renewable resource. The nest egg is going down quicker every day. We are watching and will make our decision as we get closer to April 15 but I suspect we'll be staying home.

Paul

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS
2005 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40TSP
2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel
Old 03-09-2022, 01:33 PM   #20

Retired !

I just retired in time to enjoy all the benefits of Covid.
Now, I keep our TT in MN we live in FL. A short 1600 mile jaunt to get it, then 600 miles to Custer, SD. Then, 40 days and $2500 later, drive back to the invisible money tree !
Closed Thread