Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2020, 11:46 PM   #41

WEB Griffin ...... just finishing his latest novel The Enemy of My Enemy. Have pretty much everything he’s written.
Lee Child. ....... just about time to reread the Jack Reachers again.

Our house is FULL of books - paperbacks and HC’s. Neither of us are into reading on a kindle or iPad etc. Just like to have that paper book in our hands. Also, like to go back and re-read books.
I still have a daily newspaper delivered, as I find it difficult reading a newspaper or Magazine on line. Just old fashioned, I guess!
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:40 AM   #42

“keep a word; change a word“ thread right here, on this forum.

Bruce
Old 04-27-2020, 04:21 AM   #43

Simon Winchester “Atlantic”. Amazing story of the Atlantic Ocean. He’s my favorite author. Always a good read. Before that Ilona Andrews “Magic Bites”. Pulp fantasy. I’m weird. ��
UKreject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:50 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKdave View Post
Like most of you I am riding out the virus and bad weather at home and doing plenty of reading. I am currently reading a thriller by Brad Thor, "The Apostle". I would like to hear what you read and some favorite authors. I read many different genres as well as non-fiction and am always looking for new ideas.
Almost finished with Hazelgrove's "Forging A President: How the Wild West Created Teddy Roosevelt". I have a trip planned for June (might have to be delayed) to the Pacific Northwest and back to PA. One of our multi-day stops on the way is Medora, ND, near Teddy Roosevelt National Park. The book was a Christmas gift from my son who had no idea we planned to spend three nights near the Badlands area that were such an instrumental influence on Teddy Roosevelt. The book is a great preview to what we plan to see when in the area.

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:53 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fiddlers View Post
After a career of reading and teaching mostly American fiction, I have retired and am trying to catch up with my wife's non-fiction reading over the years. Recent readings: Undaunted Courage (Stephen Ambrose, account of the Lewis & Clark expedition); Endurance (account of Ernest Shackleton in the Anatctic); The Oregon Trail (Rinker Buck's account of his--and his brother's--21st-Century retracing of the Oregon Trail by mule-drawn wagon; Killers of the Flower Moon (sad account of Osage tribal tragedy in 20th-Century Oklahoma. Also highly recommended: any of the highly readable non-fiction by S.C. Gwynne--Rebel Yell (Stonewall Jackson), Empire of the Summer Moon (Quanah Parker and the Comanche nation), The Perfect Pass (the invention of "West-Coast" spread offences that changed football), and, most recently, Hymns of the Republic (last year and aftermath of the Civil War). All these are good history and highly readable.
"Endurance" about Shakleton's Antarctic trip is one of the most exciting books I've every read!

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:43 AM   #46

I'm reading 'Crack The Stem Cell Code' by Christian Drapeau...the creator of StemEnhance Ultra decades ago.
It's a fascinating book that I bought used on Amazon, and they've had tremendous successes with them that it's nice to understand why.
I had a stroke in 2009, and taking StemEnhance Ultra for only a month or shortly longer has had repaired the damaged cells from strokes, diabetics, arthritis suffers, wounds, hearing loss, etc.
In the book, it explains how the bone marrow in our bodies generates stem cells which go out into our bodies and change into the cells of whatever needs repair, restoration or replacement.
As we get older, our bone marrow makes less stem cells...StemEnhance Ultra increases that output within 15 minutes of taking the capsules.
Taking the product eventually, usually within a week, has our bodies generating stem cells as if we were 20 years old again.
It bolsters our immune systems, but more importantly...stroke victims recover the use of their affected arms, legs, hearing, eyes, speech and whatever else was affected in two months.
gcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:39 AM   #47

The Land Beyond the Sea by Sharon Kay Penman.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:11 AM   #48

I like my I like my historical nonfiction. I'm currently reading "1776" by David McCullough, one of my favorite authors. It's sort of ties everything together after I toured Lexington / Concord and all the historical sites there last summer.
" The Path Between the Seas" was also excellent by him. It chronicles the building of the Panama Canal ( for you Teddy Roosevelt fans). I transited the canal in a 40-foot sailboat and shuddered as I went through the Culebra Cut, a particularly difficult stretch during the building of the canal that claimed many lives.
I also I also love anything by Nathaniel Philbrick.
waverider64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:41 AM   #49
DW's 401(k) Plan

Being a little on the conservative side and liking to be prepared... DW and I are reading the "Home" series by Angry American. Interesting how this series of books can possibly correlate with what is happening in our country right now.
If you are into prepping or want a glimpse of what it could be like in a SHTF scenario, this series is for you. Gives a person a lot to think about ... how you could possible react in dire situations.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #50

In light of our current situation I just heard about a book called, "Notes From An Apocalypse" by Mark O'Connell that discusses various "preppers" throughout the world that I plan on reading.
ADKdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:38 PM   #51

Buzz Kill by David Sosnowski
gfnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:14 PM   #52
Paul & Dianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Other than news, forums and other such, my evening reading consists of pure escapist sci-fi
My kind of book!

Wow, most of y’all are way more ambitious than I am, some serious reading so far! I love to read, almost exclusively Kindle Unlimited which I buy on sale every couple years so it’s a pretty good deal. Most of what I’m recommending is available on KU. It’s also pretty light, you’ve been warned. Just a great way to pass the time.

Westerns - Robert Peecher, over two dozen books with great characters and good dialog. The Animus Forks series in particular is a hoot, but he has another dozen or so great books too. I’ve asked, he says we may get back to Animus Forks someday. I want to go camp there.

Science Fiction - JASutherland Alexis Carew series, odd premise but very fun readable books. Helps if you like CS Forester and Alexander Kent.

Mountain Man - Lane Warenski “Grizzly Killer” series, working my way through. Makes you want to move to the Rockies. The Shoshone are OK, watch out for the Blackfeet and Cheyenne though!

More SF - Peter Grant's Maxwell Saga. Some old fashioned space opera at it’s best. Well, I like it anyway.

Action/Adventure - Wayne Stinnett’s Jesse McDermott series... 14 or 15 books plus the associated Chastity Stiles series, another 4-5 books. I think these might be leaving KU, so if you’re at all inclined to adventure mysteries in the FL Keys, look them up sooner not later.

Mystery - David Chill’s Burnside Mystery Series, great books! Liking football is helpful but not a requirement.

Funny Mystery - Ben Rehder’s Blanco County series... these are funny as hell with a few twists to keep it interesting. For a change of pace, his Roy Ballard series is just as interesting but a little more serious. Both set in TX, it’ll make you want to hook up and head on down in the RV so... oh, wait. Damm.

More funny mystery - Jinx Schwartz, Hetta Coffey series. Another funny set of books, set on a boat. This is odd, because Jinx is an RVer herself but that hasn’t really shown up in her stories. Well, she is also a boater so there’s that.

Finally, check out Nick Russell. His Big Lake mystery series, and his John Lee Quarrells mystery series, are both great reads. We might even meet Nick one day - he used to be, or might still be, a full time RVer. He’s written books about that, too, but I haven’t got to those yet. He also has a blog, https://gypsyjournalrv.com/gypsy-jou...vel-newspaper/ - check that out, too.

Well, when I’m not out digging up my yard - way to much brush and brambles and bittersweet and little trees next to the driveway, threatening the fifth wheel - that’s what I’m up to. Fortunately, today is raining so my back gets a break.
Old 04-27-2020, 08:06 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThruHiker View Post
More funny mystery - Jinx Schwartz, Hetta Coffey series. Another funny set of books, set on a boat. This is odd, because Jinx is an RVer herself but that hasn’t really shown up in her stories. Well, she is also a boater so there’s that.
Hetta Coffey is the reason I studied for my Amateur Radio license!! Loved that series for all her experiences and troubles HAHA.

I read a mix of sci-fi, whodunit mysteries, fantasy and romance. Nothing too heavy as life is heavy enough somedays.

I read HC, SC, on the Kindle and on the Libby app with borrowed books from the library (unable to borrow on the Kindle here in Canada).
2006 Dodge RAM 2500 TRX4 Cummins
2011 Cedar Creek Silverback 35K
just4u_cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:23 PM   #54

X2 plus Lee Child, real Tom Clancy (I reread),
Louis LAmour, Zane Grey,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Other than news, forums and other such, my evening reading consists of pure escapist sci-fi
mad.dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:39 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Looking at how intuitionist math can dispel "block universe" theory. It is compelling to read about how Nicolas Gisin' recent research alters how we think about time and space.
https://www.quantamagazine.org/does-...TWy84jqKkNnjCI
SAY WHAT. SERIOUSLY. WOW. I’m flabbergasted.Congratulations.
UKreject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:46 AM   #56
Back On The Go

Legend by Eric Blehm about a medal of honor winner in Viet Nam
The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson a different look at Winston Churchill during his 1st year as Prime Minister
Fire and Fortitude by John C McManus a look at the Pacific War 1941-1943
White Bone by Ridley Pearson about elephant poachers and their selling to Chinese

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #57
Paul & Dianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4u_cara View Post
Hetta Coffey is the reason I studied for my Amateur Radio license!! Loved that series for all her experiences and troubles HAHA.

I read a mix of sci-fi, whodunit mysteries, fantasy and romance. Nothing too heavy as life is heavy enough somedays.

I read HC, SC, on the Kindle and on the Libby app with borrowed books from the library (unable to borrow on the Kindle here in Canada).

Too funny. I like a Hetta a lot. I thought about amateur radio back in the day, not much these days though. Acquaintance of mine is a ham. I helped him put up his first tower, before he went over the top and put a 35m mast in his backyard. He has a “shack” custom built in his basement... it is quite something!

I read a lot like you except for the romance LOL. Substitute action/adventure instead LOL. Although, a lot of that is over the top these days so a little goes a long way. I also like history, especially military history. I really like space opera and some fantasy; seems harder to find good stuff these days. For some really good fantasy, check out Elizabeth Moon. She has written some great SF too.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #58

What Have You Been Reading?

Been reading the novels written by Peter Deutermann, my Naval Academy classmate. They are factual and very well written and have been downloading them to my Kindle, which offers the opportunity to read a Sample before buying. I highly recommend these books!!
LannyCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:04 PM   #59

A couple of my recent audiobooks.....

Old 05-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #60
Paul & Dianne

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyCox View Post
Been reading the novels written by Peter Deutermann, my Naval Academy classmate. They are factual and very well written and have been downloading them to my Kindle, which offers the opportunity to read a Sample before buying. I highly recommend these books!!
I see these are not Kindle Unlimited... aw. You might also like a set of books by Kevin Miller, a retired naval aviator. Set in the current and near future on carriers, they are good.