Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2020, 10:08 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedog View Post
Finally had to buy a Kindle (couldn't find enough paperbacks) last December. Some digital books are cheaper than print ones.

Catching up on Tom Clancy, Brad Thor, Brad Taylor, Larry Bond, Lee Childs, etc.

I blow through 2 books per week & the pickings are getting slim.

I do miss my paperbacks though.
I hear you! My wife forced me to get an e-reader when I started piling up books in corners as I had run out of bookcases, and places to put more bookcases. I love the used book exchange, problem was I always came back with more than I exchanged.
I still miss the feel and smell of books, but I really enjoy the advantages of an e-reader.
Also found this ebook service for free and discounted ebooks. Lots of new authors as well as classics. Most ebooks through this service are $1 to $3, as well as free. It's free to join, so check it out at https://landing.bookbub.com/covers_e...SAAEgLgFvD_BwE

My favorite genre is sci-fi (love a good space opera), then horror and westerns. I have collected most books written by Asimov, Koontz, King, Heinlein.
I am currently reading an 1800 page series 'The All Souls Trilogy' (bought for $3 from Bookbub) by Deborah Harkness, a new author to me. It has witches, vampires, and daemons and is surprisingly well written with lots of actual history.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:45 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I hear you! My wife forced me to get an e-reader when I started piling up books in corners as I had run out of bookcases, and places to put more bookcases. I love the used book exchange, problem was I always came back with more than I exchanged.
I still miss the feel and smell of books, but I really enjoy the advantages of an e-reader.
Also found this ebook service for free and discounted ebooks. Lots of new authors as well as classics. Most ebooks through this service are $1 to $3, as well as free. It's free to join, so check it out at https://landing.bookbub.com/covers_e...SAAEgLgFvD_BwE

My favorite genre is sci-fi (love a good space opera), then horror and westerns. I have collected most books written by Asimov, Koontz, King, Heinlein.
I am currently reading an 1800 page series 'The All Souls Trilogy' (bought for $3 from Bookbub) by Deborah Harkness, a new author to me. It has witches, vampires, and daemons and is surprisingly well written with lots of actual history.
I've had a few e-readers over several years...Kindle, Barnes & Noble and Calibri.
I've been a book nut since the early 1970's and have a large library.
Many of my books are now Kindle or Calibri if they're available.
It's so much easier to store them and read them...they're cheaper too.
I download them on my computer, no problem.
gcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #63
Trailer Park Supervisor

The Institute - Stephen King
The First American: The Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin - H.W. Brands
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:00 PM   #64
Paul & Dianne

My wife and I both had the same problem with creeping books. We’ve given away hundreds over the years, and still have a lot. I built a bookcase years ago, just for paperbacks, that has several hundred books in it and it’s still full. A lot of those are my SF classic collection. Some Asimov, almost all of Heinlein, Harry Harrison, David Weber, Elizabeth Moon, others. Plus a lot of WEB Griffin, including his police stories set in Philadelphia that he wrote under another name. I am bummed that I can’t afford to replicate most of those on the Kindle, since the publishers of all those authors want $8-$10 and up per book... for stuff that has been in print for decades. Crazy, but there you are. And yeah, Bookbub is a big help. I find lots of new stuff there for free or not much. Highly recommended to everybody.

Ten years ago we got into e-readers just because you can have so many more books in general, and especially traveling. We started with Nook, unfortunately, since I now have a few hundred books there and I have to remember to go look for them. We mostly do Kindle, now, and I have over a thousand books on my iPad. Lots of which I haven't read yet! And, I still reread some of what I do have. Overall, I really like reading on the iPad for the number of books and the ability to reset the font size for my old eyes. I miss being able to flip around a real book, but I’ve learned to live with it. I’ve also learned to live with the “It’s not a real book” thing, you get used to that over time. At least, we have LOL.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimKTuttle View Post
I have the Kindle app on my iPhone & iPad. Download ebooks from the local library for free. Not all titles are available for Kindle but usually find some by the authors I like.
Yeah, I download library books to phone and then transfer to a Kindle, which I find easier to read.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #66

John Glenn autobiography on my Nook.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 05:36 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Yeah, I download library books to phone and then transfer to a Kindle, which I find easier to read.
I have both a Kindle Paperwhite (awesome for reading outdoors in daylight!) and a Kindle Fire (tablet).

The Fire allows me to load the Libby app which we use to borrow library books here in Canada.

Sadly we can't borrow from library to the Paperwhite yet here in Canada (but we can to the clunky Nook ereader).

Nothing beats a real book but then again I can't hold an entire library of books in one hand...tradeoffs!
2006 Dodge RAM 2500 TRX4 Cummins
2011 Cedar Creek Silverback 35K
just4u_cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:27 PM   #68

I am not a fan of e-books, kindles,etc. Since our libraries are closed I have been utilizing the little library kiosks scattered throughout different communities. They are great places to leave books you no longer want and pick up some other reading materials. They are pretty common here in upstate New York and I have seen them in South Florida. Not sure how common they are in other parts of the country, but it might be something to look into starting in your town especially in these times.
ADKdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:40 AM   #69

3 years ago, I had a retina detachment in my dominant eye that was laser re-attached. After the laser work, I am legally blind in that eye. The other eye is slowly growing an old age cataract. The retina doc, general eye doc, and the optometrist all agree to wait on lens replacement in the “good” eye for as long as possible. Wife now drives most of the time.
I listen to audio books as reading most book’s print size is very tiring. Even using a 12” tablet and its zoomable print size gets tiring quickly. I can sit or lay down with ear buds, eyes closed, and not disturb wife with light or page flipping.

Latest “read” is Grisham’s “Camino Winds”. Just prior is Baldacci’s ‘Long Road to Mercy”.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:17 PM   #70

Reading

Dark Ride by Ian Wright. It's scary!
kkhslh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:32 PM   #71

Arguing with solisist by Glen Beck
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:58 PM   #72

Station Eleven

Kinda eerie to read now. Worst case situation for a global pandemic. Jumps around a bit but I've found it engaging. And a little bit scary....

Station Eleven is a 2014 novel by Emily St. John Mandel. It is Mandel's fourth novel. The novel takes place in the Great Lakes region after a fictional swine flu pandemic, known as the "Georgia Flu", has devastated the world, killing most of the population. It won the Arthur C. Clarke Award in 2015.
jaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #73

Race of Aces and The Last Panther.
Smokewagonokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:15 PM   #74

In the morning my Bible. In the evening "The Splendid and the Vile" by Erik Larson about the London bombings and Churchill's leadership in WW2
Old 05-07-2020, 10:13 PM   #75

Amazon Burning (A James Acton thriller #10) by J. Robert Kennedy. Think Indiana Jones type books.

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:08 AM   #76

Send a message via MSN to 3rdTimesaCharm Send a message via Yahoo to 3rdTimesaCharm
Re-reading on my phone via Kindle app Atlas Shrugged. I've read this book every 24 to 36 months since +/-1989. I especially enjoy reading via Kindle as I can make notes about characters, events and timelines. Believe it or not, I can see current events leading to an honest-to-God producers vs. looters showdown. In fact bumpers stickerS on our toad read:

John Galt, paging Mr. Galt
and
Have specie, will travel

Take care all and stay safe
Old 05-08-2020, 07:21 AM   #77

I’m re-reading the first 2 books in Rachel Aaron’s DFZ series preparatory to the release of her third.

Minimum Wage Magic
Making a living is hard. In a lawless city where gods are real, dragons are traffic hazards, and buildings move around on their own, it can feel downright impossible.

Good thing freelance mage Opal Yong-ae has never let little things like impossibility stop her. She’s found a way to put her overpriced magical art history degree to use as a Cleaner: a contract municipal employee who empties out abandoned apartments and resells the unusual treasures she finds inside for a profit. It’s not a pretty job, or a safe one--there’s a reason she wears bite-proof gloves--but when you’re neck-deep in debt to a very magical, very nasty individual, you can’t be picky about where the money comes from.

But even Opal’s low standards are put to the test when the only thing of value in her latest apartment is the body of the previous tenant. Dealing with the dead isn’t technically part of her job, but this mage died hiding a secret that could be worth a lot of money, and Opal’s the only one who knows. With debts she can’t pay due at the end of the week, this could be the big break she’s been waiting for, but in a city of runaway magic where getting in over your head generally means losing it, the cost of chasing this opportunity might be more than Opal can survive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7EA0F788-0D77-46EF-A677-8F933A279CAF.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	228616  
Old 05-08-2020, 08:56 AM   #78

Reading - Seeing Voices by Olivia Smit.

Writing a young adult Christian fantasy.
KrazyWriterGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:33 AM   #79

"Horizon" by Barry Lopez. A great work that weaves cultural and natural history, archaeology, ethnography, philosophy - his stuff has been called "prose-poetry" and it's a great book.
chumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:13 AM   #80

Not a book, but I got out the blueprints for a 1/4 scale RC airplane that I began building years ago and never finished. There were a few things that I did not understand in the beginning, but with the help of the internet and reading those prints, I found a solution to all of my problems. Now have the plane built and ready for a engine test run.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote