Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #1

What did you forget the first time out?

Just bought my first TT.. Salem 26TBUD... What is the number one item most people forget when they first start trailer camping?
sleblanc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know if it is number one, but you better have toilet paper if you plan on doing number two.

Matches or or a way to light the stove. Don't go very far, so you can go home and get it. This time of year, some campgrounds may have the water turned off, so you may need water. Good luck and welcome. Many also suggest your first trip, you camp in the yard, and try not to go in the house for anything.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #3

Toilet Paper!!!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #4

CPAP. Had to go back and get it. Luckly was only 2 hrs from home.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

When we bought our first pop-up we camped close to home. Between the five of us we forgot, hair brush, pillow, tooth brush, mostly minor things. The most important thing we always do is locate the closest WalMart to where ever we go. If they don't have it, you probably don't need it!!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
Infractee

We made an all encompassing list of things to bring, Wife and I sat down, planned every day out for food, activities, etc. I wrote in all of the items both the camper and tow vehicle would need, everything and then some more!
We get to the CG, get all setup, cook dinner, make a fire, burn some marshmallows and at the end of the day when we thought we had done well..... My daughter sticks her head out the door and says "where are my PJ's?" We had completely forgotten to bring clothes!!!
Luckily only about 45 mins away....
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #7

First unit was an old pop up cabover truck camper, don't remember the brand. First trip was to Galveston Island. Started to set up and found I had a 20 amp plug with 30 amp service and no adapter. Little 4-5 year old girl was watching me setup as I started to fuss she quitely says "they sell those adapters at Walmart" and turned and skipped away.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #8

Not that I dont have faith.... but I'm bringing more than my little yellow tool box... just in case.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
The Old Man

Extra lengths of:

Sewer hose
Power cord
Water hose

Found out the hard way with my first camper one night when the utility box was 10ft farther away than my power cord and water hose would reach. I also learned that they don't stretch.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #10

So many trips and so many things forgotten!

One trip there were 3 of us with campers and our families and several others joining us for a fish cookout. I had fished pretty hard for a couple of days and cleaned fish for a few hours. I had the fryers all heated up and ready to go, then we realized we didn't bring any fish batter mix, corn meal or anything else. Delayed the meal while my wife made a quick run to the store. Everything turned out great and we had a good time.

Two MUST items are patience and a sense of humor. Those two items will get you through most issues.

Good luck and happy camping.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #11
Pete

Second sets of keys to the motorhome and toad OR your TT and tow vehicle.

Generator oil.
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #12

Our 1st "free" camping trip. Had a great time, plenty of food, drinks & clean clothes. The only thing we forgot was to bring down the TV antenna So much for our "free" camping.

We never forgot again!
Old 01-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
rebmeM

Forgot the camper and stayed in a hotel.

2014 F-350
2011 Stealth 2612
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
CampeRooo

We usually take at least 3 local (within 30 miles) camping test runs early in the season to eliminate the "list" you're looking for. But to answer the question, I usually forget to restock the coffee grounds... or filters... or sweetener... or creamer and well, the last two can make for one grumpy @$$ wife in the morning.

So, for the love of God, whatever you do, don't forget the "creamer" of your families needs.

But seriously, it's usually something minor like coffee. Anything else that might come up can be remedied fairly easily by making a quick 7 mile trip back into town or we do without until the next round and just make sure we put it on the list and back into the camper for the next time.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #15

Be certain to bring extra camper keys and keep them on your person. Once when our daughter was two she locked herself in the camper accidentaly and could not open the door. My keys were on the hook inside the trailer. Luckily the side compartment was open and my mother in-law was small enough to wiggle thru the opening and up thru the compartment under the dining room table bench.
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffkm View Post
Luckily the side compartment was open and my mother in-law was small enough to wiggle thru the opening and up thru the compartment under the dining room table bench.

I bet the camera was inside the tt too.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #17

We were leaving a campground near San Antonio last summer and stoped to dump the trash. We got out of the truck and left the engine running. The Idiot Yorkie locked the doors. Good thing I had the TT keys in my pocket and the second set of truck keys were in the TT. Leason learned make sure the second set of truck keys are in the TT. Make sure the TT keys are in my pocket (second set of TT keys are in the truck glove box). NEVER LEAVE THE TRUCK RUNNING WITH THE IDIOT YORKIE IN CHARGE.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #18

I forgot to bring a hammer; started out tent camping, needed it for the tent stakes! Unfortunately, there was a summer thunderstorm, wind, and heavy rain- the tent blew down around us with us inside!!! What a mess! We all got drenched, and always remembered the hammer from then on!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:45 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Well, since I posted the first reply, I feel pretty fortunate, and haven't forgotten as much as some. I will offer one more piece of advice that works for us. Buy all your toiletry needs just for the camper, toothbrush, comb, shampoo, etc. Put them in a small plastic basket, and make sure they get in the camper. Bring them in only for restocking, and the make sure they return. We also keep bath towels, paper towels, plates/dishes, etc., just for the camper. It may come in and get washed, then get stacked on the dryer as a reminder it needs to go back out to the camper. We have seasonings, (salt, pepper, flour, etc.), silverware, pots, etc., just for the camper, and that is where they stay, during the camping season. Once it turns cold, we use them in the house and then replenish for the next season. Bottom line, without adding a ton of weight, try to keep everything you need in the camper. Now what do you need? You have to figure that out. For survival, water, then shelter, then food. Everything else is just a luxury, and that includes the television remote and a hair dryer. Happy Camping.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #20
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Well, since I posted the first reply, I feel pretty fortunate, and haven't forgotten as much as some. I will offer one more piece of advice that works for us. Buy all your toiletry needs just for the camper, toothbrush, comb, shampoo, etc. Put them in a small plastic basket, and make sure they get in the camper. Bring them in only for restocking, and the make sure they return. We also keep bath towels, paper towels, plates/dishes, etc., just for the camper. It may come in and get washed, then get stacked on the dryer as a reminder it needs to go back out to the camper. We have seasonings, (salt, pepper, flour, etc.), silverware, pots, etc., just for the camper, and that is where they stay, during the camping season. Once it turns cold, we use them in the house and then replenish for the next season. Bottom line, without adding a ton of weight, try to keep everything you need in the camper. Now what do you need? You have to figure that out. For survival, water, then shelter, then food. Everything else is just a luxury, and that includes the television remote and a hair dryer. Happy Camping.
We pretty much do the same thing. One thing we always have is a pad and pen in one of the drawers. We take an inventory of what's in the coach, paper plates, cups, napkins, TP, etc. When our trip is over we have generated a list of things to replenish if we didn't need it immediately. If for any reason we are going to the store, the list goes with us and items get purchased and crossed off the list.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote