Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2020, 10:02 PM   #21

I spoke to a group last year on a trip. They were a 4
Man group. They had 3 dialysis and a tractor trailer. They would go and pick up 3 Large trailers and then put as many smaller trailers on the big rig as would fit. They would work it out so all the destinations were close together.

Once everyone was delivered they would meet yo and put the duallies on the trailer and take turns driving back in the big rig.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:08 PM   #22

After 8 months driving/towing my friend's accountant said, "If you want to make money, quit this non-cents today."
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:16 PM   #23
Befuddled wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
When was the last time you were in a properly maintained taxi???? I bet it wasn't in *this* century. Not likely in the latter 25% of last century either.
I never said that they actually performed proper maintenance, just that they know how much it costs.

2020 Rockwood Ultra Light 2891 BH
1996 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 8.0L V10

"Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice"
cc102bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:36 PM   #24

I looked into it several years ago. All designed for their benefit. Not for me.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #25

Been there

I have delivered Trailers for the past two years. I am retired and just wanted something to do. Most of the companies pay by the mile and it is based On the size or weight of the trailer. You are not allowed to sleep in the trailer so I stay in motels . Some of the drivers do take the back seat out and sleep in the truck. To be DOT legal it has to be modified to get enough length. You do have to keep a log book and pull into weigh stations and are subject to inspection. You either have to lease on to a company or get your own DOT authority and carry unladen insurance, the company pays the laden insurance.Some states require you to stop and buy trip permits which I get refunded to me. A class A CDL is required to pull the larger 5 wheels. You can figure about 1/3 of the pay for expenses (fuel motel and meals 1/3 put back for wear on truck and possible repair 1/3 for your pay.The plus side for me is that I have family out west so we get to visit them more often. Also it slows down in the winter so I go to Southern Texas until Spring . Most companies will allow you to run as hard or as easy as you want
Firefighter306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #26

RV Deliveries

I know a guy whose daughter-in-law is the CFO for a large motor home manufacturer. They hire folks to drive them to where they are going and fly them back home. She talked him into doing a couple deliveries to Alaska this year. The only problem is that they want it there in 7 days and he wants to take a month. I told him to tell her that I would do it if the pay was right and the flights to the factory and back home were paid.
MrMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
If they have done a single pull they or a flat deck load they usually go back empty. Backhauls are pretty rare. Some may haul cars back but not that often.
I beg to differ. I made a great bit of cash hauling dealership cars back and forth. I had a goose neck and could carry 3 mid size cars. Now this was 24 years ago things may have changed now. I almost always went back full. Nightmare when the car you want is first on the ramp.
AceCombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
There have to be better jobs than this. Personally, I would rather work at a fast food joint than do this.
Honestly I loved it. Could schedule my own runs at pretty much any rate. There wasn’t a ton of us out there. I had a good combo 1996 F450 long wheel base with the huge crew cab. Manic single stage hydraulic ramp. That truck never let me down. Other than general maintenance never put a penny in it. Still had the original alternator in it and charging at 14v. I sold it at 840000kms and guy who bought it drove it for four years after.
AceCombat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer