Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #21

really the only part of missing anything....would be the time, it was all enjoyable and made us appriecate what we have now more.....guess the one thing I miss the most is being that young again...lol..lol.....

most of all, the one thing I don't miss from our smaller trailers...."would you move so I can go pass, would you get up so I can get up, or you still in bathroom, I need to come thru, I know your cooking but I need to get pass".......lol....lol...

We went from tent(we still use several times a year) - pop up(coleman) - TT/toy hauler(XLR) - 5th(Cedar Creek)....even rented a motorhome one time(didnt much like it)....We love finding a central point to park and go from there, whether it is an improved RV spot or outback. I still take my 5th to the wild...I leave windows/vents/door open on cool days(use generator sometimes)....if I can't get all the way into an area, we stay close enough to hike in and stay a night or two in a tent, if that is what we want......but love being able to lock everything up, come back, shower, clean gear, when get home basically park, plug in and walk away.....

I am not afraid of admitting it...I love upgrades of progress: awnings, bigger refrig, the hydraulics - one button on/off truck, auto level, twin AC, large tanks to stay longer, larger propane bottles and all the comforts....especially on the cold days after a hike, the bones need warmth...

Outlawadventurer
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 6.7L
2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
OutlawAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #22
Done with this

We did the tent> pop up> TT thing as well. Miss nothing from the tent. I really loved the pop up. Listening to the owls and critters while in the bed, the sound of gentle rain on the bunk ends, just nature. It was a big old girl, Clipper 1465HST, and set up was a pain with the slide, but I didn't mind. The wife thought it was a hassle for me. (You're getting old!!!) The new TT is great, and I think we'll get over selling the pop up.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #23

Missing things?

I miss my dishwasher!! Not ungrateful in any way because I wouldn't go back to living in a house for anything. I love the thrills and excitement about living in an rv and there is always something to do when it rains outside.
taneweideman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #24

I went from tent camping/ sleeping in equipment trailer when really cold to my current 21rr toy hauler. I love the hot shower and the better heating system. I still camp in the tent and love it. But being able to take a shower after riding in mud and 25 degree weather can't be beat
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #25

Went from tents to Pickup slide in camper to a 30 foot FW.

I do not miss anything.

Tent.
Wet sleeping bags, sore back from the ground, finally got some cots.
A tree in the forest.

Camper.
Getting it in the truck was a one hour job, ice box only, hand powered water pump, mountain climbing skills needed to get in and out of it.
A tree in the forest.

Fifth Wheel = Clamping.......
Old 09-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #26

We moved from central texas to west texas straight into renting an rv that was small and had no slides to one with one slide and was crap to buying the one we currently live in and I have to say my creative and inventive side really shows in here. I miss storage space but have learned to be creative and invent new ways to store things. We left a three bedroom house to move to west texas.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:25 PM   #27

For us it was a tent to a 32 foot TT. We tented for 20+ yeats. The only thing I miss is not being able to share a site with friends who had a pop up. They now have a TT also. So even though we camp together, it seems like we're not. We're always cruising over to each others site. Would be nice to have double sites, but those are few and far between
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #28

I feel ya there. Weade friends with the people who were renting an rv from the use person we were and the two trailers faced each other so we were always outside hanging with each other. We both bought RVs about two days apart from each other. Our RVs are next to each other but the lots are not pull through so our doors don't face each other so I totally get what you mean. It's just simply not the same but at least we are still all together.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #29
Broken Toe

Class A>PUP>Hybrid.

I miss crusing down the superslab in the Winnebago. Don't miss having to tow a toad, or being stuck at the campground.

I miss the ease of towing/storage with the PUP. Don't miss the fact that to even change the sheets you had to practically fully erect the thing.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #30
New FR Owner

Tent>PU>TT

At 51 I don't miss much about a tent!

The popup did connect us with nature a bit more but my wife and daughter were alway afraid in thunderstorms and I'll admit there was a few times its was "interesting" and I'm not someone easily concerned about WX.

We love our new TT the amenities are great! But I will say, during the summer camping trips it did seem a bit isolated from the outside (better for bad WX). The past trip it was cooler a few evenings and we were able to open the windows, that was much nicer. Guess it just means less time in the camper, more time around the campfire!

So far we love our FR Grey Wolf!

Semper Paratus
USCG, Disabled
2015 Grey Wolf 17BH
2001 Ford 4x4 F-250 Crew
Coastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #31

I miss the money that I spent on the new TT I could have gone camping a lot with it with the old one. Just thought I needed a new one. Oh well I like the new one so will go any way. Don't miss the tent we or old popup.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:26 AM   #32

We started with a pop up, I loved it, but really wanted a bathroom we could use while traveling our twins were getting to the age of potty training so we moved up to a hybrid. Hybrid was great, but was a lot of work on me, set up and take down, plus I like being up early and let the family sleep, and the canvas gave no sound protection. Travel trailer was next, but I wanted more bunk space as our kids are getting older and rarely like to travel alone, so now we have the fifth wheel. What I miss about the fifth wheel is the bed of my truck! It towes beautifully and has lots of room and cabinets we don't use! I can't believe Im saying this but I think I'd like to go back to the TT would be cheaper and I get my truck back.
Aca651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:32 AM   #33
Incheon, S. Korea

I am thinking only of a TT because of the truck bed issue and the overall height, so it's good to hear someone thinks the same!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #34

We tent camped with our kids to start. Thunderstorm time was spent in the bath houses. I don't miss chore of tent camping, although it does bring the family together.
We moved to a brand new pop-up, Coleman Stoney Brook, and as pop-ups go, it was a fairly big one. We camped in it with the kids 4 times, that was all I could take. Our last trip in it we didn't finish setting up until 3am, just DW and me. The kids came in the next day and stayed Sat & Sun, we had fun, rode the boat, enjoyed the camper, then everyone left on Sun. Mon morning me and DW had to break camp, load the boat, tow it all home by ourselves, in the rain. We were at each other's throats by the end of that day, lol. I said that's it, won't do it again without help, so we didn't, most expensive camping trips ever. One of my sons still has the pop-up and still use it, but not often.
DW and I bought a 30' TT in July (used '07 Surveyor) and are going on the shakedown cruise tomorrow. I think it will be fine and I'm looking forward to it. We've yard camped a couple of times and it will be a lot better than the pop-up.... I think.
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #35

I went from tent camping occasionally(15 yrs ago) to 5er. I don't remember missing anything... I do wish I had the TV bed room to haul something...or the ability to tow something with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #36

I've went from a dome tent to a pop up when I was allot younger then to a 33' TT and now to a 41.5' 5er. I don't miss anything except pulling a lighter load and turning a shorter radius and better fuel mileage. I'm pulling 16k load now but no regrets I like the luxury camping and having my toy with me in the 12' garage attached. I like getting where I'm going camping popping a cold one and hitting the auto level button. LOL
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
We recently upgraded from a 2004 Coachmen pop-up to a 27 ft TT. Did it for all the normal reasons (real bathroom, more space, more weather- and sound-proof, etc, etc, etc). I have, however, found a couple of things that I really miss from the pop-up (covered storage under the bunk ends and being able to see out of my rear view mirror to name a couple).

So, for those who have made an upgrade (tent to PU, PU to TT, TT to 5er, 5er to C, C to A, etc):
1. What did you have then?
2. What do you have now?
3. What do you miss from your old setup?

Purduepete
Started tent, went pop up. One storm changed it and me forever. Went TT, just love it. The only thing I miss is the ability to maneuver it anywhere while in the camp sit. Larger trailers are limited to the pad area. However I just love my toilet in the middle of the night.
ljlund3872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #38

We had a tent trailer in the 60's, a 15 foot Scotty in the 70's and a 23 foot Fleetwood Resort in the 80's and 90's. In that period we moved three times. What I miss are RV dealers who know how to repair the equipment and do not whine if you did not purchase it from them. They understood some people actually move once in a while.

Thanks goodness I am able to repair most things on my Berkshire myself. Those I cannot I have to drive the 1000 miles to the factory. It is a sad statement on the RV industry.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #39

Went from tent(s) to 16' TT (Toy Hauler - Carson FunRunner) to 23' TT (FR Stealth) to 32' Class C (Fleetwood Jamboree).
Like most others, I don't miss the sore back, load/unload, and seemingly inevitable thunderstorm on at least 1 day in tent. We still have the Stealth, but rarely use it unless we want both Harleys. I don't miss feeling like I was in a (very nice) box. But I do miss the feeling of being closer to nature. There's something about the way you wake up with nature in a tent.
As I get older, the nostalgia of tent camping outweighs the negatives, but I wouldn't trade the comfort of rolling out of bed to go to the bathroom at 3 a.m. in the comfort of my MH vs crawling out into the dar, searching for toilet paper, and remembering where the "potty" tree was located.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #40

We are ordering our TT this winter. What will I miss? Not:

Sleeping on an air mattress that deflates over night
5 of us freezing our butts off at night while roasting during the days
Peeing in the dark

I'm sure there will be something I will miss but it's hard to beat the things i won't
sharkbate is offline   Reply With Quote