Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
I live in Southwest Louisiana, what is winter storage?
It's what people like me have to deal with 6 months out of the year because my grandparents decided for some reason to move to this part of the country and now I've basically become entrenched here and can't really leave because of family, friends, schools, jobs, etc...
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #22
Insert witty title here

All food, toiletries, cleaners, paper products, bedding, clothes and camper bateries. Add Fresh Cab, and Damp Rid.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:20 PM   #23

Nothing, just got home from the mountains. After Turkey Day we head to Charleston SC for a few weeks. Then home for Santa with family before heading to FL 12/31. Here in SE NC we rarely get freezing temps until after we are gone and warms up during the day anyway.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #24

Winter items to remove

I to live in WI. If it doesn't freeze, I typically put everything in totes. I put Fresh Cab around any open - or what I think is open areas. I have a winter cover that goes on also.
Corkyrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
No reason not to really. We've kept the boxes and it only takes a few minutes to stick them back in with the Styrofoam to keep them protected.

I know people say that they'll do fine in cold weather but I have friends that had a TV screen crack over the winter from freezing. So better safe than sorry.

Plus there's always the possibility of theft since our camper is sitting on our seasonal site that's an hour away. One less thing to worry about.
LED screens do not freeze.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Some flat screens shouldn't be stored below certain temperatures.
What about all the LED screens that are available in new cars ?
Old 11-08-2018, 06:24 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by realebill View Post
What about all the LED screens that are available in new cars ?
See Post #13 for my comments on that.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:06 PM   #28

Tv, batteries, food , any liquid that could freeze. We leave small appliances , pots pans, dishes and such .Vacuum pack bedding, towels etc, and store in totes in the camper. All removed items kept in a large tote indoors. Not much to resume camping mid April in MN. though April can seem like an eternity some years.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:53 PM   #29

I’m the opposite of most people I don’t store for winter. I want to go camping with a foot of snow on the ground.

I take nothing out when winter comes other than my water filter and regulator are stored in the house between trips.

I add in 3 gallons of Rv anitfreeze ( emergency plans, although I keep a generator and air compressor to blow the lines out).

I do add winter clothing to the normal clothing I keep in the trailer year around. I keep a 5 gallon bucket full of rock salt in the trailer.
Snow shovel.
Sled

You get the point.

I keep the camper pretty much ready to go camping by adding clothes ( although I keep a couple days worth in it) and food and we can go. Even though I keep non perishable food and bottled water in the camper year around.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicky06 View Post
I’m the opposite of most people I don’t store for winter. I want to go camping with a foot of snow on the ground.

I take nothing out when winter comes other than my water filter and regulator are stored in the house between trips.

I add in 3 gallons of Rv anitfreeze ( emergency plans, although I keep a generator and air compressor to blow the lines out).

I do add winter clothing to the normal clothing I keep in the trailer year around. I keep a 5 gallon bucket full of rock salt in the trailer.
Snow shovel.
Sled

You get the point.

I keep the camper pretty much ready to go camping by adding clothes ( although I keep a couple days worth in it) and food and we can go. Even though I keep non perishable food and bottled water in the camper year around.
I'd love to winter camp, especially if there's snow and things to do. However, my wife HATES the cold. Curious, do you have slideouts? If so, do you jump on the roof and brush the snow off your slideouts if it snows while your camping?

SOLD-2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 w/ Max Trailering Package
willie1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek6669 View Post
We live in Ontario and remove everything from our unit, clothes bedding , food, and all the gear you tend to accumulate through the summer. We then wash everything down with lysol. I put out fresh cab, bounce dryer sheets and a battery operated rodent chaser (change the battery monthly) I also put moisture absorbers in all the sinks to cut down on humidity build up. We are also fortunate to be parked on a gravel pad so less chance of rodents.I also remove the coach batteries and store them in the basement.
Derek
Do you leave the window shades up for sunlight in the winter or close them when in storage?
TC
Old 11-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie1280 View Post
I'd love to winter camp, especially if there's snow and things to do. However, my wife HATES the cold. Curious, do you have slideouts? If so, do you jump on the roof and brush the snow off your slideouts if it snows while your camping?
I have a single super slide. I do clean the slide top off. Sometimes I carry a leaf blower. Sometimes a ladder and a broom.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc cruiser View Post
Derek
Do you leave the window shades up for sunlight in the winter or close them when in storage?
TC
I close mine. In my mind, it keeps the furniture in the trailer from unnecessary fading in the bright winter sun. I don't know how right or wrong I am for that, but I don't see the harm in it.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #34

CURIOUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuncool View Post
Besides freezable liquids and such the only other things I take out/off are the batteries and propane. This is twofold. Being in a public storage facility makes them less likely to walk away and I keep the batteries in the garage putting them on a charger about once a month to keep a decent charge in them. I also use the propane on my grill throughout the winter.

We are actually more likely to put stuff into the camper for winter storage. We can vary between 2 to 13 people on camping trips so the amount of stuff we take varies. During the season any "extra" stuff gets left in the garage as needed but during winter storage I put it all back in. This includes mostly folding chairs and sleeping bags.

How do you sleep and feed 13 people??
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #35

Quote:
I live in WI and I'm curious what folks all take out of their campers for winter storage?

Besides any liquids that could freeze (cleaning supplies, soaps, etc.) we typically take all the bedding out, clothes, food, blankets, etc....basically 6 or 8 totes worth of stuff. Just wondering if i'm being to paranoid or not. Guess i'm worried about mold setting on things that could retain moisture due to temp fluctuations during the fall-winter-spring months until we go to use it next year.

Our camper sits on a gravel pad at an outdoor storage facility without any sort of cover on it.
Great time to get all bedding ready for next spring !!!
We also use Damprid,,, with roof vents open,,, about once a month I must get in and exercise generator by running old ele heater !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:04 PM   #36

We take out nearly everything. Most of it is in totes on shelves in the basement. I have considered removing LP gas bottles & battery, but it is in a secure storage lot a ½ mile from home. We check on it often, and my floor plan is such that without the battery, I can't get to most of the camper. I have to extend the slide enough to get by.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #37
Canadian Member

All food comes out after every trip. For winter storage we focus on:
- what can't handle freezing?
- what might mice get into?, and
- what do we want to take home to clean?

We take home all clothes, bedding, towels, dishes & utensils and completely empty all the lower inside cabinets that would be accessible by mice if they should happen to get in. We have some upper cabinets and a pantry that are not accessible to mice so we do leave some stuff in them. We leave some cleaning products in a lower cabinet and haven't had any problems with them freezing so far.

Most of the stuff we have in the pass through and outside storage compartments remains in the trailer except bagged lawn chairs (that could become a home for mice), the water filter canister and a portable water pump setup I made for filling the FW tank from 6 gallon containers.

What seems to work for us for mice control is Essential Oil of Peppermint on cotton balls in ceramic mugs, and bags of Fresh Cab. They are left out around the TT. All lower cabinets and drawers are left wide open to allow light in and reduce potential hiding places.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #38

We did a "mini-winterization" today. We opened the low-point drains, turned on all the faucets, opened and drained hot water heater and blew a bit of air through the supply lines. We turned the furnace on 48 degrees and opened all the cabinets that have water lines in them.

We are predicted to have a HARD FREEZE overnight and tomorrow night with temps in the high teens.

We also have another camping trip scheduled for Thanksgiving week. Our friends who are parked in our storage lot right beside of us did all the above, but did not empty his water heater. His WH is behind an insulated panel and is open to the inside by way of an access panel.

We'll see if we did enough. Otherwise, we will be fixing busted water lines week after next.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:03 AM   #39

Wife started removing all the spices + salt & pepper last year or 2,,,
Time to replace,,, a few years old !!!
All batteries from all remotes !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:14 AM   #40
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:

Curious, do you have slideouts?

If so, do you jump on the roof and brush the snow off your slideouts if it snows while your camping?
Depends on how much snow there is...

Unless you have a foot of snow sitting or ice (frozen to the seals or slide) on top of a slide...

The slide seals will squeegee off the snow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Campout2012-PC270054.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	191119   Click image for larger version

Name:	A-IMG_20180223_111217027.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	191120   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewDigsSnowSm.jpg
Views:	76