Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2020, 06:09 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
That is exactly what I have been saying.

6 db increase is twice the energy, not twice the perceived sound.
10 db increase is twice the perceived sound.

Your education has not failed you.
Close. 3dB is doubling the power, 6dB is doubling the voltage, depending on the person, I.e., psycho-acoustics, doubling the perceived sound can be anywhere from 6-10dB.
I get confused sometimes between doubling of energy vs. doubling of voltage and have to review it occasionally. I'm currently just a part time sound man.
There are a few free decibel meter apps for your phone that I find handy. This spring I plan on sound testing my three generators and will move the meter to a distance that duplicates the listed dB spec.
I'm done.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:40 PM   #42

Thanks for getting the decibels correct. 3 dB is twice the energy but our perception is not the same thing. Further, the frequencies also impact the perceived sound intensity. Of course, age plays a role as well along with just how hard the generator(s) work.

FWIW I use a pair of 2000 Hondas when I want AC; 1`for the rest of the time and they are noticeably quieter than Yamahas and others I've heard.
Eidolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:42 PM   #43

Champion Generators

Do it it’s a good deal —- light weight to handle 1 at the time . Had a large
Champion that worked really well — just really heavy . Champion very reliable
but a bit noisy —- but if all in a Campground have no power — who cares
— fine for boondocking
Ungechbub66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:54 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedhawkCC View Post
We have the 3400 watt duel fuel Champion and it is perfect. Others have mentioned the weight of the 3400 but we leave it in the bed of the pickup for overnights. Also, the Champion website tells us it operates at 59 dBA which is good but not as low as some smaller units. We love our Champion and would buy it again.
Do you run it on LP or Gas most of time?
Zoo Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:37 PM   #45

Costco has a Firman 3200/2900 Watt generator with 30A outlet for $500 after $140 discount. Seems like a great price.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:48 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Costco has a Firman 3200/2900 Watt generator with 30A outlet for $500 after $140 discount. Seems like a great price.
I was going to buy one, but they wanted almost another $100 for shipping and taxes. I'm in Arizona right now and I'll just get one when I get back to Alaska. They sell them in-store there. If anyone wants one, sale ends tomorrow, Feb 4, 2020.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:53 PM   #47

I love my champion !!!
modified52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:55 PM   #48

I have the Champion 3400 watt and it is a good unit. My only issue is that it is very heavy and it's getting harder to lift into the truck every year. I would certainly go for the two lighter units with a parallel kit if I didn't have this one.
RStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:55 PM   #49

I bought the Champion genie and very happy with it. Quiet and starts first pull..

Before you spring for the Harbor Freight genie - better check the warranty period. As I recall, it was only 90 days. Of course you can purchase an upgraded warranty to get a full year, but you better be adding that into the price of the genie in order to properly weigh it against the others...
Thor Vegas 25.5
Randy’s Rod Shop & Fabrication
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:20 PM   #50

champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrosson67 View Post
Was googling around and stumbled on to this deal at Home Depot. Anyone have any knowledge of this generator? Is this really a good deal. 2 generators and a parallel kit all for $900.

TIA
i am a oldie an weight is all ways a factor
I Have the RV READY Champion .
i bought it just for my camper BUT But ..
IT'S A BEAR TO get it in and out of the truck ..
iv been watching these at tractor supply ...
and watching for revuies ..
befor i pul the trigger
BUT THAT IS A GOOD PRICE
BOO-BOO-IS-IN-CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:31 PM   #51

You get what you pay for

I had a champion generator that lasted until a month after the warranty was up. It needed so much work, it was totaled. I then splurged and bought a Honda 2000. The Honda is MUCH quieter, easier to start, and so far has lasted 4 years of heavy use
davidsongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:38 PM   #52

I've had a Champion 3500 dual fuel for almost two years and have dragged it around a fair amount. I'm quite happy with it. It is quiet, but the comparable "Predator", despite the name, is noticeably quieter. I have a friend who has had one for two years for his towable and uses it continuously when on the road. Says he has had no problems.
Jan Gerstner. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:24 AM   #53

Please stop confusing me!

OK, for starters, I don't have the money for any red units.

I have a Generac iX 2000 (2,200 starting, 2,000 running - so it's slightly more powerful than the red or blue ones of that era) that we purchased when we had a C-class with an on-board Onan 4Kw so we could run the little one for the tv, radio, etc. and just use the big Onan for the air conditioner and micro wave.

The problem is that the Generac won't run the a/c on the new 5th wheel, so I need something larger and this one isn't parallel capable (it's 7 years old - never had a problem other than the primer bulb cracking - we're in AZ and the heat is brutal on plastic stuff).

I settled on a Predator 3500 or whatever it is - but then I read horror stories about their customer service unless you buy an extended warranty.

So based on price COMBINED with customer service I switched over to Champion. (keep in mind I'm looking only at invertors and a minimum of 3Kw).

Then I read about the weight of the larger units, and for our needs, we only need to run the a/c a few trip per year, so I considered two smaller units running in parallel …

Then I found a pair of Yamahas for sale on CL for $700 … by the time I called they were gone. DARN!

Then I read about double the oil changes (not a big deal) and double the gas … something to consider, but again, only for a few trip per year, not a big deal.

Then I read a lot of good things about the newer Predators.

WTH? I wish one or two would go out of business - it would make my decision easier.

Then I find this thread … UGH!!!!!

I think I'm back to leaning on Champion … or maybe Predator … or maybe holding off until I find something on CL or eBay …

(Please note that since I can't really afford Hondas, solar is NOT an option, so please don't go there).

Does anyone know how to build a treadmill or hamster wheel that the dogs can run on to make power? It would be quieter than a Honda, use less fuel than a propane unit and I already have two, so I could run them side by side in parallel ...
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:06 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Camper View Post
Harbor Freight Predator 3500 is cheaper and you only need to fuel and store one instead of two, just my opinion.
The problem I found with Harbor Freight and Predator is if you have a problem and need to order parts (good luck). You can easily wait 10-20 minutes on hold for customer service and then deal with a really screwed up parts system. I have been waiting 4 months for parts. They don't stock anything parts come from China as ordered. I wouldn't buy again.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:25 AM   #55
swj

Fuel injected carb-Lifan

I have a Lifan 4000 EFI peak, 3800 running. The fuel injected carb is the way to go. Honda has a 7000 fuel injected carb gen. Lifan is sold by HDepot, easy return process and extended warranty protection. Lifan also has smaller fule inj gens. I got my Lifan for running in high altitude.
swj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:31 AM   #56

The most important consideration beyond the noise level is ability to get it fixed should it have an issue (bad gas or warranty issue). I almost bought a Predator since they are cheap and seem to be liked by those that own them, but after looking into the ability to get parts/service on a Chinese brand, I decided to not do it. Harbor Freight offers extended returns window, but that is it. Champion generators should be able to get serviced easily, but see how far away you have to go.

2019 Hemisphere GLX 314BUD with Goodyear Endurance tires
2019 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins SRW
Husky Centerline WDH/Anti-sway
TST 507 TPMS
Dual Honda EU2200i w/extended run tank
Mad_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:47 AM   #57

Great “ginny”

I have this unit and the 3500 dual/fuel unit. I bought it from Home Depot on a close out for under $300. (They may have mismarked it) I didnt need it, but The deal was too good to pass up. It is a very good reliable unit that starts first pull. It probably will not run an AC unit even with a hard start, but it will handle everything else. 2 units connected will take care of a 30a TT
Bdlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdlnky View Post
I have this unit and the 3500 dual/fuel unit. I bought it from Home Depot on a close out for under $300. (They may have mismarked it) I didnt need it, but The deal was too good to pass up. It is a very good reliable unit that starts first pull. It probably will not run an AC unit even with a hard start, but it will handle everything else. 2 units connected will take care of a 30a TT
It's not like the Predator is having a unique and special high tech carb made for it.... It's the same super easy to find carb that's on a million engines out there and for sale everywhere you look.

Harbot Carburetor for Harbor Freight Chicago Predator 3000 3500 3050 3200 4000 Watts Gasoline Generator with Fuel Filter Gasket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HCGH2H3..._9vyoEbVDTDK7A

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:24 PM   #59

I would also look at the 2500 watt Westinghouse, same weight a Yamaha/Honda and as quiet, can be hooked in parallel for very little.... Heck they are all made in China.
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:02 PM   #60

Better Deal on Amazon

I've been looking at generators this size with a pure sine wave output. Amazon has two; one with a Yamaha engine for $499 and an identical one, same manufacturer, with a Senci engine for $389. After researching both I discovered that the Senci engine is identical to the Yamaha, parts are interchangeable. Also, both these generators have a 30 amp plug in addition to the 120 volt plug. You might want to look at the i-Power generators I mention here. The $499 model is also available at Costco if you want to eyeball it first. Only real difference is that the $499 model case is blue and the other is red.
kjlars is offline   Reply With Quote