Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2019, 07:48 AM   #21
DDC

I’d think you could have one of three problems, 1, garbage in the tank, for instance the cutout left in there. 2, the cable is not opening the valve fully. 3 the vent pipe is too long and the end is submerged in the water in the tank eliminating the vent.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmysstailights View Post
One of the main reason i never bought one. The toilet wand is the best imo.
The times to use the back flush is when the tanks are not draining and clogged and full . the wand will not help then . the back flush will get it going help break up stuff and then you can do a clean with the wand . still some people think they can leave the black tank valve open .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
We use the Flush King to back flush our black water and grey water tanks when we are at the dump station. On/Off water valve attached has a back flow preventer valve built in.
Looking at your pic, I'd say you're doing a great job of flushing out the "Hose" but not much for either tank. The angle of the spray nozzle is directed down the hose and not towards the tank.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlewand53 View Post
..... What do you use to backflush that type of greywater tank line? A hose that you run up there or a power washer fitting on the end of the sewer line or????
Not sure what your blockage is caused from, but you've had many good suggestions, ... when you've solved that, as to actually flushing the gray tank, an aftermarket system that you install inside the tank named Quickie Flush, is about as good as you can get, ... there is one called Tornado, that is suppose to spin, but I've read several reviews where it stopped spinning, I guess you then have a Quickie Flush by default, ... I've installed four QF, two black tanks and two gray tanks, ... it is nice to have a spray unit in the gray tank as well as the black, most campers don't come with that, ... not difficult to do, just gotta get past the fear of drilling into your tanks, ... link below is a site that compared three aftermarket flush units, ...

RV Holding Tank Rinse Systems Compared.

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Looking at your pic, I'd say you're doing a great job of flushing out the "Hose" but not much for either tank. The angle of the spray nozzle is directed down the hose and not towards the tank.
We use our Flush King as a simple way to back fill the tanks. Close the valve on it, leave the tank valve open. Turn on the water. When the tank is filled, you get a good, powerful flush/rinse when you open the valve.

Never expected the Flush King to agitate inside the tank. Impossible to do with any external source unless you have a short, straight pipe shot to the tank. I have never had one of those on either end of the tank.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetime View Post
Curious, what would block up a Grey Water drain...food debris from the sink?
Since the OP is saying it's the grey water tank that serves the bathroom my guess would be a buildup of soap and hair residue in the line.

You would be surprised at how much bath soap and shampoo can behave just like grease in a drain line. Couple that with the hair we shed (I said we because it isn't just women that put a lot of hair down a shower or sink drain).

Back flushing may not get the job done. You may need to use a drain snake that you can power with an electric drill. One with a "zig-jag" bend on the end will scrape any buildup off the sides of the pipe from the tank. Might also be a good idea to "snake the drain" from the shower and sink as well.

I haven't had the issue in my trailer as I add one of the grey tank chemicals, usually a citrus type, and it seems to keep the tank and it's line clear.

My departed wife had long hair and trust me, I've dealt with more than my share of soap and hair buildup in drain lines. Usually in P-traps.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #27

Well I have solved the problem with slow drainage of bath grey tank. I put 2 cups of laundry detergent down the bath sink with about 5 gallons of hot water, I think, in an empty tank. Let it sit for 3 hours and drained it. Drained a little faster. Then put down another 2 cups of laundry detergent and let tank fill as normal. When I drained the next time, whoosh, came out fast and drained quickly. So must of been a build up of soap, hair, and toothpaste. All good now. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.
dlewand53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:22 PM   #28
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlewand53 View Post
Well I have solved the problem with slow drainage of bath grey tank. I put 2 cups of laundry detergent down the bath sink with about 5 gallons of hot water, I think, in an empty tank. Let it sit for 3 hours and drained it. Drained a little faster. Then put down another 2 cups of laundry detergent and let tank fill as normal. When I drained the next time, whoosh, came out fast and drained quickly. So must of been a build up of soap, hair, and toothpaste. All good now. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.
You need to use more water... yes... even in the grey tank(s)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 04:30 PM   #29
Canadian Member

You can also take measures to minimize the amount of hair and grease getting into the grey tank. I regularly put a degreaser called Super Clean in the grey tank before a trip and let it agitate in there while driving and dump it when I get to the campground.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #30

The best investment I made in the tank system was installing a Tornado in both the black water tank and the grey. It's like having a lawn sprinkler inside and it cleans both completely. No build up and no odor.
EYEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:54 PM   #31

You did say you are sure your drain lines (to the sewer) are at the right angle? Mine had moved I have a fifth wheel in Gatlinburg that never leaves the site, well strong winds might have moved it More level and this stopping proper drainage. after that I had to do some major catch up on old debris that never got to leave
Stormvet1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:54 PM   #32

... Not exactly an answer to the original question, but... Don't backflush the tanks!

Please read the dumping station etiquette:

How To Empty RV Waste Tanks At A Dump Station

It happenned to me last summer. Being behind somebody who wanted to backflush many times all his tanks. The only thing I had to dump was a 5 gallon of grey water (in my hand). I had to wait for the useless refill and emptying of both tanks...

Please don't do your end-of-year cleanup while people are waiting in line!

jf
jflarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #33
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflarin View Post
... Not exactly an answer to the original question, but... Don't backflush the tanks!

Please read the dumping station etiquette:

How To Empty RV Waste Tanks At A Dump Station

It happenned to me last summer. Being behind somebody who wanted to backflush many times all his tanks. The only thing I had to dump was a 5 gallon of grey water (in my hand). I had to wait for the useless refill and emptying of both tanks...

Please don't do your end-of-year cleanup while people are waiting in line!

jf
That has been discussed here many times. At a dump station with a lineup, you are correct but if you have a full hookup site you can flush without bothering anyone.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:04 PM   #34

Brush your teeth?

I had the same problem. Found out it was a buildup of inert mineral scum originating from toothpaste rins water. I inserted a 3/8th inch pressure hose with a nozzle at the end into the tank through the discharge pipe and 'water blasted' the inside of the tank.
We are no longer discharging our toothpaste waste into the grey tank (we use a disposable waste container like a water bottle). Have not had anymore buildup since!
dswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
You can also take measures to minimize the amount of hair and grease getting into the grey tank. I regularly put a degreaser called Super Clean in the grey tank before a trip and let it agitate in there while driving and dump it when I get to the campground.
Good idea... that stuf will dry" remove all oils " in your hands like no other chemical I have used before I bet it works wonders. Simple gloves work well. I like this idea.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:07 AM   #36

super clean in gray black tanks

upon use of this super clean woud you dulute it before depositing it into the tank and traveling? Full strength seems a little harsh for the seals.
Jim1733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #37
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1733 View Post
upon use of this super clean would you dilute it before depositing it into the tank and traveling? Full strength seems a little harsh for the seals.
Yes, I pour in about 16 oz. of Super Clean with probably a couple gallons of water. I don't want to dilute it too much so that its still effective, but the water makes the solution less thick so is sloshes around more. And you're right that having it diluted will probably be less harmful to any seals. Its a balance.

I have to give credit for the idea to forum member OldCoot who uses it in equal parts with Pine Sol and water to clean all his tanks. I use the Geo Method plus some RV Digest-It in the black tank. I've found that the grey tank sensors need the degreaser in addition to the Geo Method to keep them clean and working properly.

EDIT: I don't use Super Clean every time I dump. I just use it if the Geo Method isn't cleaning the sensors.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:02 PM   #38
DanLE

From the prevention perspective we use these simple drop-in drain strainers both at home and in our travel trailer especially for the grey water drains like sinks showers and tubs. You'll be surprised how much these little screens capture.
https://www.amazon.com/Maxware-Stain..._20_6808091011
DanLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #39

Old School

Cup of baking soda followed by a cup or two of vinegar down each drain after each trip.

Store with two gallons of water and septic tank enzymes to ‘eat’ the crud.

Never have had a problem except for a leaking power flush.
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #40

You can get a drain enzyme at any hardware store. Run warm water and dump some in. It will eat your soap . . . then flush your tank. I would personally not run a drain buster up there when you can use a camera or an inexpensive zip strip. It does not take much to slow a drain.

Wildwood 241QBXL
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, flush, grey water, tank, water, water tank