Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2020, 06:47 PM   #41

I have the 2019 39RKFB with 3 air conditioners and power management system. I bought a 4500 Watt Cummins Onan Digital Inverter Gasoline Electric Start Portable Generator and I love it. It has the RV 30A plugin and I can run all 3 air conditioners. Yes I did install soft starts in all 3 air conditioners. It is very quiet and fits under the pickup bed cover so I don't have to worry about it getting stolen when not towing. It may be more expensive than some, but you get what you pay for.
Husky10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:47 PM   #42

Forgot to mention it is a pure sine wave inverter generator which is what you want.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:48 PM   #43

And electric start and dual fuel
Old 05-07-2020, 07:09 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by stannwen View Post
Can anyone advise me on the best alternate power supply? Generator or Inverter generator. My DW and I are soon to become full timers. The model 39FKTH 5th wheeler didn't come with a generator
I just had to make the same decision after buying a Cherokee 255rr that doesnít come with a generator. I went with the Generac IQ3500 inverter Generator. It boasts to be quieter than Honda and has electric start. I havenít received it yet but I should be getting it soon. Iím pretty sure my wife and I can lug it out of the camper. It was $1156.11 after a rebate. The jury is out on how Iíll like it but I have a Generac whole-house generator at home and itís been dependable for years. Good luck on your decision..
fordguy61mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:36 PM   #45
swj

fuel injected generator inverter- Lifan

Get a Lifan ESI 4000 watt, 3800 running watts Inverter generator. The Lifan has a FUEL INJECTED carburetor, priced at $1000 from HDepot. 30 amp RV output. Quiet enough and weighs in at 180 lbs. The Honda 7000 is also a fuel injected generator. But it's $5000 and outputs 7000 watts.
swj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:28 PM   #46
Midwest Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
You are mistaken sir...I have a Champion 3500 dual fuel with electric start and I love it.
Unless I don't understand what 'stand alone' means?
When I bought my Champion last year I wanted the dual fuel unit but opted for the gas only. The reason for my choice was the electric start on the dual fuel did not support the REMOTE START.

I directly questioned Champion as to why and their response was safety. They did not want a remote start scenario to be unaware of the propane continuing to flow in case the start failed. I took it as a cost/space issue not wanting to install a solenoid controlled propane valve with appropriate control logic to turn off the propane in such a situation.

Westinghouse's owners manual indicates they support remote start when on propane.
Midwest Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:01 PM   #47

I would go with 2 paired 2000 or 2200 Honda or Yamaha suitcase generators . The reason is you have the choice of running 1 or 2 and they are very quiet . Also very light and easy to start . Downside is they are very easy to steal.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:50 AM   #48

Islander Dave

Quote:
Can anyone advise me on the best alternate power supply? Generator or Inverter generator. My DW and I are soon to become full timers. The model 39FKTH 5th wheeler didn't come with a generator
I purchased the Generac 3000i last spring ($1200. Cdn at Home Depot) and I love it. It has plenty of power for my 25 Sport including AC and is only 47 decibels. RV Friends who have Honda 2200i and 2800i thinking of making the switch to this generator. If you use electronic equipment in your RV you need the inverter type generator to prevent damage to this equipment.
Neldnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:45 PM   #49

Model #100262 3500-Watt Wireless Start Inverter
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
Link didn't work for me.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #51

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...tart-inverter/
Old 05-08-2020, 05:24 PM   #52

Yes, seems the Onan 4500 is manufactored in China by Ducar.
jwdawson5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:01 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdawson5 View Post
Yes, seems the Onan 4500 is manufactored in China by Ducar.
Pretty much all inverter generators are made in China. H&Y inverter generators may also be made in China, at least the engines.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:55 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Are the Onan generators in motorhomes, made in China?
Because that inverter generator is made in China, as is its twin Westinghouse 4500/3500 inverter generator.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...g?v=1550179975

The Westinghouse name has sold to various companies, mostly overseas:
"Since 1998, Westinghouse Licensing has*licensed*the famous*brand*for use on a multitude of products, some of which were in similar categories to those sold by the historic version of the company. Though these products advertise the Westinghouse name, they are not manufactured by the historic Westinghouse company".
So.... most generators are made in china. The Predator line runs very well and super quiet.Highly comparable to the Honda line. The only generators made in US are Briggs and Stratton, Champion 3200 & 7500 and Generac 15000 watt. Predator for the money is an awesome choice. I currently own a Firman 3200. My 02 worth.
lookin48197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #55

honda

honda..best in the market
Old 05-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #56

Generator

I went with the Predator 3500 watt inverter/generator for my Rockwood 35' ultralite TT. I have an open frame 4000 watt that is very LOUD, as a backup, but haven't needed to use it. Coming from a 30 amp trailer, to a 50, I haven't had any issues of overload, since I know what one generator can handle. That is the biggest issue, overload. Switch your HW heater to gas and don't run the 2 ac units, or one ac and microwave at the same time and you're usually safe. The inverter/generator isn't as quiet as some YouTube videos make it seem, but the noise level is definitely acceptable. Double the price for the Predator, or even 4x the price for other brands would be worth it, because standard generators decibel levels are so high, that they are basically unusable. I'm not sure how loud a larger I/G would be, because any larger would be unmanageable, in weight and size.
Rockwood Ultralite 2912bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:20 PM   #57

Please do not purchase an open frame/construction type generator. They make way to much noise and your camping neighbors will not like you very much if you do. An inverter type generator would be the best choice. I absolutely love my two 2000 Watt Champion inverter generators.
Joe M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:26 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M. View Post
Please do not purchase an open frame/construction type generator. They make way to much noise and your camping neighbors will not like you very much if you do. An inverter type generator would be the best choice. I absolutely love my two 2000 Watt Champion inverter generators.
Champion generators do seem to be of decent quality. My open frame backup is a Champion and although I'd never use it at a campground, unless it was a last resort, I'd been using it at least monthly for almost 10 years. Sometimes 2, or 3 days at a time. It was perfect for the storage facility my trailer was at. It had become sort of a getaway from the kids and their friends.Lol
Rockwood Ultralite 2912bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:33 AM   #59

gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Inverter generator. You can get one large one (3400+), or two smaller ones (2000+), if you intend to run the A/C.
If you want to run a nurse tank (extended run tank), a generator with a fuel pump is much easier. Most will not have one. Honda's do
As far as which brand, depends on your budget. My first choice will always be Honda. Mine are 13 years old.
Next in line is Yamaha, then Champion. After Champion, as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter what you pick. Last on my list would be Predator.
Good luck and Happy Camping!

100% what he said!

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:22 AM   #60

Quote:
With your Trailer and Truck the "Gold Standard" Honda would be a Starting point the Other Inverter Units always compare "Honda Specs" as a Reference Point! The most Important issue with a Small Engine Generator as Any Small Gas Engine Mower/Chain saw/Blower/Weed eater/ is "Exercise/Run" with Fuel Stabilizer or Drain Fuel as per MFG! Little Carbs need Love! Youroo!!