Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2020, 10:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
If you want to use the generator for powering your R/V anywhere except your own property or on private land where no one will be close to you, you need an INVERTER generator.

If you want to use it in a campground type setting (State/National Park, COE, etc.) the Parks all have decibel rating limits that would prohibit the non-inverter generators (often called contractor type) from being used as these non-inverter generators make too much noise.

As for best or which is better a generator, as mentioned, there are literally hundreds of past discussions on this topic with many opinionated posts. It is one of the most asked questions on this forum.

If on a computer, just go towards the top of the page and in the green bar click on the word search. (which is between New Posts and Quick Links)
Type in: inverter generator and hit go.
You'll get lots of reading.

Read up and decide what is best for YOU.

I see you have 2 posts... welcome.
Please come back and ask any questions you've not found answers for.
Technically many contractor generators are legal in places like national forests and other campgrounds.

NF noise limit is 71 db @ 50 feet. Many open frame generators meet the db limit at half the distance.

Legal yes. Enjoyable by fellow campers? Not so much.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #22

Thank's to everyone for your input. Champion was my first choice but they don't make a stand alone unit with dual fuel and electric start. I like the idea of using propane because it's already a necessity for daily life.I am leaning heavily towards the Westinghouse iGEN4500 dual fuel/electric start. It should work perfectly from the bed of my truck.
Rostra camera on truck Furrion on 5th wheel
2014 Harley Davidson Triglide
stannwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #23

wow, it seems like that is a good choice, for dual fuel, but that's a big, large, heavy generator - do you 'need' all that potential power?

what I mean is this - look at your current RV design before you find the right 'size' generator - do you have an INVERTER? If so, does it power all your outlets, including the Fridge(if residential 120v), and your Microwave's outlet?
Do you also have PROPANE for water heating, cooking, and warmth?

If you have a 'whole house' Inverter, which many larger RVs do, it provides the 120v power constantly, from the batteries, to all your outlets, fridge, microwave, etc., and sometimes also completely replaces any Converter, since it's no longer really needed - all your 12v lights, fans, and appliance thermostats/controls also work directly from the batteries.
You are essentially an 'off-grid' ready RV....

now, for the items that 'need' 120v power - the Battery Charger(of course! unless you have enough 'solar' to handle most of that), the roof Air Conditioners(high-amp draws), any Electric water heater element, etc... these would require 120v output from a generator, or shore power, of course.

Will the generator be typically needed for running the Air Conditioners? If so, a 20amp to 30amp model(2,400 watts to 3,600watts), may suffice to run the a/c unit(one at least), AND the Battery Charger, at the same time. 30amps is typical for the vast majority of RVs, so it stands to reason that having a much bigger generator may be overkill - and may hurt your back to move it, and may be making more 'power' than you really need, which requires even more fuel.

Certainly, if you are trying to power almost EVERYTHING in your 50amp RV, all at the same time, yes, you'll need a very large generator - but that's not what most folks find the need for a generator for - they really just want a 'backup' if the batteries need charging, or for a few times when 'off-grid' and you just have to have at least one air conditioner giving you cooling.
For a smaller generator, you can easily use an adapter when plugging into even it's regular 'household' 20amp outlet, which still power your Main Panel with the same 120v power, but just limits you to how many things you can 'do' all at the same time.

You may find that you actually don't use a generator much at all.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stannwen View Post
Thank's to everyone for your input. Champion was my first choice but they don't make a stand alone unit with dual fuel and electric start. I like the idea of using propane because it's already a necessity for daily life.I am leaning heavily towards the Westinghouse iGEN4500 dual fuel/electric start. It should work perfectly from the bed of my truck.
You are mistaken sir...I have a Champion 3500 dual fuel with electric start and I love it.
Unless I don't understand what 'stand alone' means?
Old 05-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #25
Aging Junior Member

Have you considered solar? We have a 30' 5th wheel and installed 2 150 watt panels for solar power. It's not enough to run a/c or the microwave, but there are systems that will do that and more. Here's a link to a great web site of the good folks at AM Solar who did our install in Springfield, OR.

Happy trails.

https://amsolar.com/
Jeff95814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff95814 View Post
Have you considered solar? We have a 30' 5th wheel and installed 2 150 watt panels for solar power. It's not enough to run a/c or the microwave, but there are systems that will do that and more. Here's a link to a great web site of the good folks at AM Solar who did our install in Springfield, OR.

Happy trails.

https://amsolar.com/
But you still need a generator to run a/c and especially the microwave. Just got back from a week of boondocking with some friends who have ample solar. But still have to carry generator for coffee pot and microwave. But his wife can watch satellite TV all day and all night on solar charged battery!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #27

Look at this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67113.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	228226  
cristofer.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristofer.a View Post
Look at this
My...that's a big one...
Old 05-03-2020, 09:51 AM   #29
FLY4FUN

Inverter generators seem best for efficiency as well as "clean" power for electronics, so maybe worth a couple of extra bucks over the cost of contractor's gens(?). Those with a minimum "running watts" near 3,000 can be expected to power 13,500 ACs...many report that they power 15,000s OK. An interesting note on pricing (to me, anyhow ;-)) -- I'd "watched" the etrailer remote start 3200 for a while last year & it was priced then at $629. Soon, the price began to increase(!)...I pulled the trigger & bought @ $669 in December (included free ship). Since then, the prices have been: 01/27 = $776, 02/03 = $779, 02/06 = $786, 04/23 = $837, 04/27 = $855, and 05/02 = $927. Wow...talk about inflation! It's a great generator, no doubt China built, but runs well, quiet & makes plenty of power for our RV. We also have a 2000i Honda that we've had for years & it will "almost" power the 13,500 AC (w/hard start kit) on this trailer...almost. The 3,000 handles with no problems. There are a number of very good inverter gens around & at good prices. Again, 3,000 seems to be a minimum, 'though "paralleling" smaller ones (2,000) works for many...and, the newer Honda 2500i just may be right over the edge alone for many applications(?). ...rambling a bit...FWIW. Mc
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #30

If your fifth wheel has the generator prep why not put one in the front compartment.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:04 AM   #31
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by stannwen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
You are mistaken sir...I have a Champion 3500 dual fuel with electric start and I love it.
Unless I don't understand what 'stand alone' means?
Correct.
Champion DOES make a dual fuel model with electric start.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/

But... if I were to buy a new one it would be the Westinghouse/Onan iGen 4500wDF Inverter. (dual fuel/remote electric start)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:08 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk341 View Post
If your fifth wheel has the generator prep why not put one in the front compartment.
Don't know if the OP's RV is prepped, but he did say it didn't come with one. Most are not prepped and it's a $4k to $6k option to order. Even more to add after market. Which is why so many folks use much cheaper portable generators.
There are also many like my friends who have an Onan installed, but it uses so much propane, and is so loud, that they frequently use a small inverter generator just to charge batteries.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #33

If you decide to go with the Harbor Freight Predator 3500 inverter/Gen go to their website. At the bottom of the page enter your email for special coupons. I just purchased one last week for $100 off.
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #34

These have been hard to find at a decent price but looks like there are some available now. Inverter, Dual fuel, remote start. Still breaking ours in:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
DES-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:39 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
But you still need a generator to run a/c and especially the microwave. Just got back from a week of boondocking with some friends who have ample solar. But still have to carry generator for coffee pot and microwave. But his wife can watch satellite TV all day and all night on solar charged battery!
Sounds like they just need a larger inverter. If all they're running is a coffee pot and microwave a 2 Kw Inverter should eliminate their need to carry a generator and if their solar is tuly "ample" recharging the batteries should be a piece of cake.

A/C is of course a different story.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:54 AM   #36
KSH

My champion 3500 has been great. I've had it 4 years now.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Sounds like they just need a larger inverter. If all they're running is a coffee pot and microwave a 2 Kw Inverter should eliminate their need to carry a generator and if their solar is tuly "ample" recharging the batteries should be a piece of cake.

A/C is of course a different story.
That's what I said, larger inverter. Then I learned something. The larger the inverter, the more idle power it consumes. So he sized his system for just one outlet where the TV and receiver are plugged in, plus some USB ports. He didn't want the entire RV 120v system powered by a large inverter that would be rarely needed. Thus, the smaller inverter.
He does run three batteries, and his wife can watch satellite TV 24 hours a day w/o generator, as well as the heater.
He is looking for an old fashioned stove top coffee pot
Old 05-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
That's what I said, larger inverter. Then I learned something. The larger the inverter, the more idle power it consumes. So he sized his system for just one outlet where the TV and receiver are plugged in, plus some USB ports. He didn't want the entire RV 120v system powered by a large inverter that would be rarely needed. Thus, the smaller inverter.
He does run three batteries, and his wife can watch satellite TV 24 hours a day w/o generator, as well as the heater.
He is looking for an old fashioned stove top coffee pot
Seems counter intuitive that one would go camping and then watch TV 24 hours a day.

To each their own.

As for the extra overhead for a larger inverter, I have a small one and a large one in my TT. The difference amounts to about one amp hour or less of power consumption. When I use the large one I turn it on with a remote switch and when done, turn it off.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Seems counter intuitive that one would go camping and then watch TV 24 hours a day.

To each their own.

As for the extra overhead for a larger inverter, I have a small one and a large one in my TT. The difference amounts to about one amp hour or less of power consumption. When I use the large one I turn it on with a remote switch and when done, turn it off.
Yep, so you already know all that about the different sizes of inverters.

As far as watching TV while camping, she doesn't really like boondocking, but she will go if she has the option of watching all the TV she wants. So he made it happen.
Amazing the things we do for our partners, and vice versa.......
Old 05-05-2020, 01:23 PM   #40

does anyone have a Northern Tool powerhorse 7500 watt inverter 50 amp generator. I got one as a backup for my house. I use the same cord as my camper to power my house during an outage. I am wondering about the longevity of it. The smaller ones had good reviews. I got the extended warranty just in case. Had electrician install the 50 amp 220v inlet and a load center generator interlock plate to prevent back feeding to the street. during outages. This unit is pretty quiet at 55db.
boatnik is offline   Reply With Quote