Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #1

What Happens to all the unsold RVs

This question may not even be relevant. As far as I know, dealers and manufacturers sell all the units that they make. However, I often wondered if all the RVs that were made, did in fact get sold. And if, not, where do they go. I did hear some time ago that liquidation centers buy them up and sell at greatly reduced prices. Chime in anyone.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fema?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

your statement is true rugged !
I have a dealer a few miles away from me that has a 2004 2006 and several 2007 tt's and 5er's that are brand new and never been titled .
But when i inquired about them i understand why they still have them .....
they still want way to much money for them .
when I traded my 2006 flagstaff tt I reiceved 9,500.00 for it .
they still wanted 16,000.00 for the 2006 model they had .
I was told he buys surplus or unsold campers all the time
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #4

I have some experience with motorcycles and boats - not RVs per say, but I suspect it's the same.

Manufacturers will force unsold, previous year's models - and often unpopular models - to dealers when they order popular models. For example, Mr Dealer, if you want 5 Roo 23SS, you need to take 1 of these Model XYZ.

Manufacturers will then incentives dealers on these unsold units with additional discounts, coop advertising funds to help move them and so on. They will also often help with the financing - called floor plan - and often pick up the tab on all interest charges. They will keep doing that until it's sold, often providing very, very deep discounts to some very unpopular models.

Eventually they will be sold.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared
I have some experience with motorcycles and boats - not RVs per say, but I suspect it's the same.

Manufacturers will force unsold, previous year's models - and often unpopular models - to dealers when they order popular models. For example, Mr Dealer, if you want 5 Roo 23SS, you need to take 1 of these Model XYZ.

Manufacturers will then incentives dealers on these unsold units with additional discounts, coop advertising funds to help move them and so on. They will also often help with the financing - called floor plan - and often pick up the tab on all interest charges. They will keep doing that until it's sold, often providing very, very deep discounts to some very unpopular models.

Eventually they will be sold.
Same type of tactics are used by auto manufacturers, just ask any Chrysler dealer about all the PT Cruisers they got stuck with just so they could get a few of the good selling cars or trucks.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote