Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #1

What I learned in Myrtle Beach

Some of you may have heard or read about a quick severe weather event that passed through Two of the Myrtle Beach Campgrounds on Fri.
Three TT flipped over and all were totaled.
(Fortunately no one hurt)
All these units had the awning out.
It's windy at the beach and even with a hold down kit I never leave my unit unattended with the awning out
The units that flipped were facing the Microburst and the awning acted like a parachute
Interesting to note that about a dozen awning were ripped off their units also and countless Walmart shade tents
I use my hold down kit everywhere else but at the Beach I put the awning in and out as needed and never leave the unit with it out even just to go 100 yards to the beach.
One couple lost the awning and had a flooded bedroom by the time they ran back to the RV
Moral of the story is watch the forcast
I was at home and delayed my arrival because I new there was a significant weather event coming that day and the flipped units are two rows over from my site.
While you are there?
Prepare when the T storms start firing up by battening down the hatches

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:13 AM   #2

Good information. We always pull our awning in during windy weather.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:39 AM   #3

We were just at Pirateland the weekend before last. We left our awning out the whole time on our Motor home. If you have an awning with a wind sensor do you need to worry about closing it or anchoring it down?
fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #4

My wife hates it, but I always put the awning in and out as we need it. I almost never leave it out while I am away from the RV. Personally, except for needing it for shade I don't really care about the awning. But I have found others really like it and it seems to add to the ambiance of camp for them, with my wife being one of them.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #5

My DW always ask are you going to put the awning out. I only do if we are going to use it.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:32 AM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santabobswife View Post
Good information. We always pull our awning in during windy weather.
X 2 when ever we leave the awning gets put up. And I do have the hold down ploes. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #7

We are heading to an area very close to Waterton National Park, in southern Alberta, in June. We've been there before. Heavy duty winds can come up at any time. My awning only goes out if I'm using the bbq and it's safe to do so. Last time we were there, awning was in and the 3 slides also. The heavy 5er two over from us was knocked off the pieces of timber under the front jacks. I've seen a guy's awning flipped over the top of his TT and back again. When he arrived I asked him to look around to see how many people had there awnings out. There were none but he didn't take my warning seriously. I can say this . It's not fun laying in your bed expecting to be lying on your side when the heavy wind gusts hit you.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:27 AM   #8

wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
We are heading to an area very close to Waterton National Park, in southern Alberta, in June. We've been there before. Heavy duty winds can come up at any time. My awning only goes out if I'm using the bbq and it's safe to do so. Last time we were there, awning was in and the 3 slides also. The heavy 5er two over from us was knocked off the pieces of timber under the front jacks. I've seen a guy's awning flipped over the top of his TT and back again. When he arrived I asked him to look around to see how many people had there awnings out. There were none but he didn't take my warning seriously. I can say this . It's not fun laying in your bed expecting to be lying on your side when the heavy wind gusts hit you.
Had a 36' diesel pusher, 29000 lbs. We would leave awning out unless we had warning of bad weather. Woke up at 2:00 am with M/H rocking, bad rain storm, high winds. Nothing like being out in a cold rain in your underwear putting an awning up at 2 am! Last time sleeping with awning out.

pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #9

DW says 'we ain't campin' unless the awning's out!' She protests whenever I bring it in at night, but I can sleep knowing it won't get damaged. Our last TT had an arm buckle the first time we used it,,,,,, on a foggy day with no wind. I'm gun shy.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #10

We have had more than one occasion when had to pull in all 3 slide due to high winds. Our awning is similar to a yo-yo, in out in out. Way to expensive to replace. I have left it out overnight when the weather is calm and the weather report shows no wind. But I am always ready to push the button if there is unexpected wind.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdutch View Post
Some of you may have heard or read about a quick severe weather event that passed through Two of the Myrtle Beach Campgrounds on Fri.
Three TT flipped over and all were totaled.
(Fortunately no one hurt)
All these units had the awning out.
It's windy at the beach and even with a hold down kit I never leave my unit unattended with the awning out
The units that flipped were facing the Microburst and the awning acted like a parachute
Interesting to note that about a dozen awning were ripped off their units also and countless Walmart shade tents
I use my hold down kit everywhere else but at the Beach I put the awning in and out as needed and never leave the unit with it out even just to go 100 yards to the beach.
One couple lost the awning and had a flooded bedroom by the time they ran back to the RV
Moral of the story is watch the forcast
I was at home and delayed my arrival because I new there was a significant weather event coming that day and the flipped units are two rows over from my site.
While you are there?

Which campgrounds ???????

We rarely put our awning in at Myrtle Beach unless the weather is unstable but we do tie the awning down. Have seen numerous awnings on camper roofs at the beach.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #12

Lakewood and Pirateland
bplantcjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #13

We hardly ever put the awning out, it wouldn't bother me if the camper didn't come with one

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #14

Pop-up storms

A couple of years ago we were camping at the KOA over in Flatwoods, WV. We were just sitting down to supper when dark clouds rolled in and the wind starting picking up. REALLY fast, real hard. I rushed in the rain to pull my awning in just as the first really hard gusts hit, successfully, and looked further out in the campground to see an awning flip over the roof of a trailer then back again. There was another one closer to me with the owner struggling to pull it in and another camper and I rushed over and helped him get his stowed. His dinner on the grill was a loss as the wind tipped it over...

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasnipe View Post
A couple of years ago we were camping at the KOA over in Flatwoods, WV. We were just sitting down to supper when dark clouds rolled in and the wind starting picking up. REALLY fast, real hard. I rushed in the rain to pull my awning in just as the first really hard gusts hit, successfully, and looked further out in the campground to see an awning flip over the roof of a trailer then back again. There was another one closer to me with the owner struggling to pull it in and another camper and I rushed over and helped him get his stowed. His dinner on the grill was a loss as the wind tipped it over...
This is just one reason I have several weather/radar apps on my phone. My work revolves around the weather, so it's just natural for me to constantly watch wherever I go.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:08 PM   #16

I backpack regularly so watching the weather is just something I do. We had our first heavy thunderstorm/front blow through Ocean City this past weekend. I knew a front was coming through but it wasn't until others were "buttoning up" that I took a hard look at the radar (WeatherBug). I put EVERYTHING away and was very glad I did. 30mph+ winds and heavy rain. That trailer was bouncing and moving like crazy and everything not tied down was in the channel 40 feet away! I am one who watches the awning closely. I have a Sunsetter at home and eventhough it is sturdy I bring it in and put it out regularly.

Marty
Old 05-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdutch View Post
While you are there?
Was anyone actually in their RV when they flipped? That would have been a wild ride!
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplantcjf View Post
Lakewood and Pirateland
Thanks our camper is at Ocean Lakes in storage at the moment.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:08 PM   #19

We have seen our share of those storms at Myrtle Beach and have seen awnings ripped off. Ours stays in while we are in town or away from the trailer.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #20
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Weather says storm is coming. You decide to stay and ride it out.

Now thinking about weight distribution, is it better to have your opposing slides 5er with all slides out in order to spread the footprint OR is it better to bring all the slides in to concentrate the weight? What if your slides have slide toppers? Bring them in or not?
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote