Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #1

What is it?

People call their units (F/W,Trailers,A-B-C Motor homes) Coachs. What determines when to call the unit a Coach?? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I call mine a coach when everything is working perfectly!
I have numerous other names for it when I'm having a problem.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Now a "Top Member"

From the American Heritage Dictionary:

coach (kōch)
Share: coachcoach
n.
a. A bus, especially one designed for long-distance passenger service.
b. A railroad passenger car.
c. A closed automobile, usually with two doors.
d. A large, closed, four-wheeled carriage with an elevated exterior seat for the driver; a stagecoach.

Okay, that probably didn't help you much. My guess is, there is no rule. Wanna call yours a coach? Bam...it's a coach!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #4

But there is more confusion...

I always thought a camper was what you put on the back of a pickup truck. Seems like some folks call any RV a "camper". So just what is that thing you stick on a pickup then? It's not really called an RV is it? ('Cuz your are still driving your truck?)

And when is it a TV or a TV? When someone says they have a new TV, I automatically think television set.

If someone told me that they got a new coach, I'd be thinking they look a little old to be playing sports. What's wrong with just standardizing on calling it a motorhome, or MH for short?

You would think that a "coachbuilder" is a company that builds motorhomes. Not the case at all. A coachbuilder is a actually a company that specializes in building bodies for cars. Huh.

Not sure who is responsible for this mess....
Old 07-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #5

The way I've always thought it worked was: An RV (recreational vehicle) covered everything from a motorhome, 5th wheel, TT, popup... Generic term for any vehicle you use for recreation. Motorhome or Coach, has an engine. Camper, pulled, towed, or carried by something with an engine or coach...

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I call mine a coach when everything is working perfectly!
I have numerous other names for it when I'm having a problem.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sself1219 View Post
The way I've always thought it worked was: An RV (recreational vehicle) covered everything from a motorhome, 5th wheel, TT, popup... Generic term for any vehicle you use for recreation. Motorhome or Coach, has an engine. Camper, pulled, towed, or carried by something with an engine or coach...
I was taught that if you drove it, it was a coach, it you pulled it it was a trailer, if it went in the truck it was a camper, if it hooked in the bed of the truck it was a 5th wheel......

But the difference between a TV and a TV is harder to tell .......TV tow vehicle, tv television.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Who is responsible for this mess? We are. The generation that invented texting on a cell phone. We've lost touch with our neighbors, our families are scattered all over the country, and we don't have time to talk on the phone to anybody in person, but we can text all day long, making short sentences, with nothing spelled correctly, and taking all the shortcuts we can just so we have more time to send more jibberish down the airwaves. (sorry, just had to rant a little.) and don't text me, have it blocked on my phone. If you have time to send a text, you have time to dial my number and at least leave a voice mail.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #9

I agree that the term Coach generally refers to a motorhome (particular size?), and not usually a trailer.

"Caravan" is used, especially outside of North America, for class B + C units.

Other RV naming peculiarity: In order of increasing size: Class B, C, A. How'd that happen? (But I'm guessing it has something to do with A+B being built completely within a standard vehicle frame, then Class C is basically a truck chassis with a unit attached on to it.)
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #10

Everybody in our family calls our Sunseeker Class c motorhome a camper.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
camping

don't know about when to call it a coach, however.... I do know when to call it a "dog house"

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Who is responsible for this mess? We are. The generation that invented texting on a cell phone. We've lost touch with our neighbors, our families are scattered all over the country, and we don't have time to talk on the phone to anybody in person, but we can text all day long, making short sentences, with nothing spelled correctly, and taking all the shortcuts we can just so we have more time to send more jibberish down the airwaves. (sorry, just had to rant a little.) and don't text me, have it blocked on my phone. If you have time to send a text, you have time to dial my number and at least leave a voice mail.
Can't remember where I saw it (poster, television show, movie), but it was something to the effect of "and don't you even think about making my texting device ring" I thought it fit today's kids perfectly.
cdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #13
Site Team

For sure we do tend to generalize things. Some of it is harmless while some is confusing.
I got to agree that it's easier to know someone is referring to the television set when I read "TV set" vs just "tv".

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #14
Alleged curmudgeon

Well, here's what I think...

I am no taxonomist, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I will give it a shot...

I do not know a Class A from a Class B from a Class C, but I have been walking around for years thinking they are species of the genus interchangeably known as "Coaches" or "Motorhomes."

My travel trailer is neither a coach nor a motorhome, but is instead a species of the genus known as "Towables," which I understand to include all things towed in which one might sleep (including other species such as 5th wheels, travel trailers, hybrids, popups).

There is another genus which includes species such as "Truck Campers" and for ease of reference here, species such as "Car Campers" (those cars with tents which pop out of or attach to the hatchback of an automobile, the names of which I do not know).

All of the foregoing (Coaches/Motorhomes, Towables, Truck Campers, Car Campers, and all other variants on the personal-vehicle-turned-camper) are members of the common family known as "Recreational Vehicles."

While those with coaches do not always claim their lesser cousins, just as Homo sapiens attempt to exclude Neanderthals (and dare I say I have always suspected there may be a reciprocal sentiment), I still say we are members of the same family nonetheless.

Maybe I am all wet, but that's my working classification of such things.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #15

Yeah, "Camper" is used a lot. Everything from a pop-up and truck camper to a class C is a "camper".
I never call a Class A a "Camper" though, I have to draw the line somewhere
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOC View Post
Yeah, "Camper" is used a lot. Everything from a pop-up and truck camper to a class C is a "camper".
I never call a Class A a "Camper" though, I have to draw the line somewhere
I would call a Class A a 'P'amper!
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #17

I call my FW RV the Earth Station and I sometime carry my "Coach" purse ....... it is funny but I have people that message me asking about the ES!!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #18
Now a "Top Member"

I go camping at a campground, therefore I have a camper that I trailer to the campground. And I am a camper. I just happen to have a 5th wheel towable pulled by a TV. That has a TV in it. I am in a class of my own!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote