Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
I'm a dry camper most of the time. Of all the above post, will any of these work just on battery power? 12 volt not 110 volt.

How large is your battery bank? You can get a inverter to power it. I like to dry camp too, I have a 3000 watt inverter and it will be hooked up to at least 4 6 volt batteries plus I have 2 Honda's 2000i generators. DW says I can stay wherever I like as long as she can watch Direct tv

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:32 AM   #42

any or all will work for a time with a 110 V inverter hooked to your battery bank...

The Dish or DirecTV receiver will always require 110V AC. Probably the biggest power hog would be the monitor. I'm guessing that would take more power then the receiver and dish combined.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
I'm a dry camper most of the time. Of all the above post, will any of these work just on battery power? 12 volt not 110 volt.
I dry camper most all the time. Years ago, before I bought a Honda generator, I used an inverter to watch TV for a few hours during a weekend camping trip. I'd take two fully charged spare deep cycle batteries, a TV (an old tube type 20" Emerson) and an inverter. I would usually watch local stations but sometimes took the Directv box along. The inverter would run both and I never had a problem except for the batteries (using one at a time) running out of power after about maybe 2 hours (around 3 to 4 hours total use for both batteries) which I expected. Here's the inverter I used:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter1a.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	85852  
https://www.glenphotos.com
WatkinsGlenCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #44

I'll have to check out what kind of power a LED TV takes but if I had to guess it would not take as much power as a tube type

Old 09-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #45
ENE

I'm going to order another Directv DVR for my RV. So all I need is the portable Tripod and antenna. I rather have one that is shelf aligning but don't know what brand and how much they cost. If they are too expensive I will just setup the aim to the satellite with my signal finder. Does anyone know a portable unit that includes the dish and tripod (not for onto of RV).?
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:48 PM   #46
ENE

I just read about a new new TV that is rated with the lowest wattage on the market place.
Probably expensive.
But you have to consider not only the TV but the other devices like dvr, satellite receiver etc.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:46 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlbalentine View Post
I'm going to order another Directv DVR for my RV. So all I need is the portable Tripod and antenna. I rather have one that is shelf aligning but don't know what brand and how much they cost. If they are too expensive I will just setup the aim to the satellite with my signal finder. Does anyone know a portable unit that includes the dish and tripod (not for onto of RV).?

I brought mine from sat.pro, I don't use a satellite meter, I use me and DW iPhone. We put the phones on speaker and I'm outside and I just listen for the beeps. I don't use a compass, just listen for the tones. I have a tripod that I made a mod on

Old 09-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #48

This is a picture of what I did to a tripod for a easy fix to make tripod levelClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1442174158.706460.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	88536Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1442174211.200064.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	88537Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1442174272.461762.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	88538Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1442174326.655815.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	88539

Old 09-13-2015, 05:37 PM   #49
ENE

Nice job.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #50

Satellite TV for RV - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV - RV television - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod

>>HD Tripod<<
complete setup... works great at 1/2 the price of self-aligning dish and nothing to fix because it has nothing hidden inside to break, and can be setup to take advantage of canopy openings away from your parking spot if necessary to "see" the sat...

I am 10 min from start to watching TV after learning the sequence needed to get correct sat alignment the first time (the included directions are very precise... I was less then precise the first time because I failed to follow the directions... DUH!)

DirecTV does not do local channels... ie.. they do not follow you around the country as once outside of your local channel area you no longer get your local channels on the antenna

make sure your DVR/Rec model is compatible with your dish/LNB combo... TV4RV.com folks are very helpful

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 09-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #51
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
No matter what type of antenna used, tree's are the problem. Use what-ever is easiest for you to store and set-up
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #52

Spock123

I have seen this setup pics from you before and I now see better detail on the tripod leg slides... very nice setup... I expect you did the fabrication on the legs yourself? I had a similar tripod which I could NOT figure out how to easily level the legs...

There could be a market for a cheap easy-leveling tripod like this.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 09-14-2015, 05:38 AM   #53

The hardest part with the Direct antenna is getting the mount level. While you are setting up the antenna you can turn on the Direct receiver and after the mount is level, then put your zip code in and it tells you the elevation and azimuth, the elevation is set on side of antenna and has marks for that and the azimuth is just which direction the antenna is pointing too. Then when you rotate the dish slowly you just listen for the signal with two phones or open a window or door. I was kinda of scared the first time I set up the antenna, I thought I would mess something up, I made setting the antenna up harder than it was. If I'm afraid a honest person might walk off with the antenna then I tie a long thin steel cable to everything and lock it to one the legs on camper

Old 09-18-2015, 12:55 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlbalentine View Post
Check out SolidSignal's web site. They have complete antenna packages and individual components. We purchased the 5LNB package wihich included tripod, mast, mount, dish, 5LNB antenna, SWM power supply, 2-way splitter, short and long cables, and a (never used) flat through-the-window cable.

DirecTV also has a service called DNS (Distant Network Service) that provides the standard broadcast networks anywhere in the US. Unfortunately, to get this, you need a separate account for the RV because licensing agreements don't allow them to provide this service to your home. An alternative is to contact DTV every time you set up the portable dish and let them know your "current" address and zip code. They'll change your service address and you'll get the local broadcast stations which could be 500mi away. In the SW corner of NM, near the Mexican border, the "local" stations are from Albuquerque!

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #55

Subscribed

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #56
ENE

I found a local vendor that sales the complete package, antenna, tripod, cables, connectors, satellite finder meter etc. for $100. Now I just need the direct receiver HD25-100. I found several people that sale them for around $100-$150. I have to make sure I find one that is legal and not a sold lease box scam.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:29 PM   #57

If you use the Wineguard carry out it is hard to get the H24 you need. Have been trying for a month to get one from Direct tv. They want you to use the H25 which does not work with the dome. So don't spend a lot of money till you know you can get what you need. we ended up buying the regular dish to work with H25. If they get an H24 will go back to the dome.
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:20 PM   #58

Just to clarify. The link that you posted mentioned all you need is your TV and receiver. Do you use your home receiver and just transport it to your RV? I've been looking for a solution for when we buy our first Motor home in a few weeks.
toddlafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:41 PM   #59

You can not take a Genie if Direct but we just take one out of another room. We finally got an H-24 so can use our Dome again. If you have a regular dish can use an H-25. We like the dome cause it finds the satellite by itself.
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:07 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback Iowan View Post
You can not take a Genie if Direct but we just take one out of another room. We finally got an H-24 so can use our Dome again. If you have a regular dish can use an H-25. We like the dome cause it finds the satellite by itself.

We take the Genie from the house and use a dish, it takes longer to set up the antenna than it takes to get a signal. It is a easy operation, I made it hard but after the first time from then on a piece of cake

Tags
antenna