Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2021, 02:21 PM   #21

I agree with most others of under 30' for a TT. Now if you have a fifth wheel, I think 35' or less of total length is about perfect. We have had shorter and longer and our current fiver of 34.5' seems a great compromise of comfort and size no matter where we camp, which is usually at the end of a rutted, narrow, curvy, dirt road in the backwoods
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm6 View Post
Of course there are going to be many opinions on this, but just wanted to see what you think is the perfect balance where it is big enough to feel like you are not cramped and have room for storage, etc. but small enough where it is easier to maneuver and will fit in most campgrounds. I am talking about for a family of 4 so definitely something with bunks. I am thinking somewhere in the mid 20' range but was wondering at what point does it start to seem "big" where you are more limited where you can take it.
Please remember that living space will be less than total trailer length. WH have a Surveyor 247BHDS that provides about 25 feet interior and 29ft 6 in overall rear bumper to tongue, give or take. Enjoy yours.
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:45 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
Two feet longs per than the one you bought.
Say what?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:53 PM   #24
dm6

I guess my thinking now is that we hopefully won't be inside that much except to sleep. We have a popup now and really just go in it to sleep, wash hands, make lunch, etc. but of course stuff is all over the place since there is no room for anything. If it is raining, we will go in there too and lay down and read or play a game or something, but of course we are all just crammed into the dinette. Even if it rains though, sometimes I just sit underneath the awning. Maybe I am just hoping that it will stay that way where everyone wants to be outside. I suppose with a trailer though, it will open up possibilities of going camping earlier or later in the year when the weather is not as nice so we would be inside more then. So probably if there is only a dinette, it may not be enough since there is no other place to sit, right? Is it useful to have a couch as well (which is why the murphy bed idea sounds good)?
dm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
If you are OK on hybrid trailers (with canvas bed fold-out), the Rockwood Roo has LOTS of room in a smaller size.

X2

I agree!! the space you get in a Hybrid (Shamrock/Roo) is an excellent option for the TT size; for me it IS the perfect balance- Plus you get to feel like you're REALLY camping under the canvas (bunk ends)... I know there are some drawbacks like set up time, "soft walls", etc but considering, still MY preference.

CyclePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:01 PM   #26

I think most of us change how we camp as our life progresses, kids/grandkids grow. We started out backpacking, then cabin tents, then pickup shell, truck camper, pop-up, then bunkhouse fifth wheels, and now a comfy fiver for just the two of us.
So where are you at in your life?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:57 PM   #27

We have a 2014 Flagstaff 27 RLWS and use it about 120 nights a year, and couldn't be happier with the size, and the three slides that make it feel comfortable. It's been a good trailer for us.
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:08 PM   #28

Length

Like asking who is the prettiest girl. We had a 27' V-front, 31' total length. We found anything over 30', cut inside national park sites by 50%. Especially true if you plan to go to the older parks, EX Yellowstone or Utah. They are there, just more restrictive. If you can find a twin slide w/ dual air under 26', I feel that is a good compromise. Went to a 38' 5 th. wheel for more comfort, longer trips, and less moving around.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:17 PM   #29

21 ft hybrid that folds out to 24 ft with a deep slide for extra floor space works for the 2 of us. We spend most of our time outside anyway.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:19 PM   #30

Best TT Length?

Our first TT was a 27-foot Prowler, no slide out. It was easy to tow, but had a smallish double bed that wife and I quickly "outgrew". Had convertible dinette and fold down couch for daughters and/or guests.

Second TT was a 29-foot Komfort with a large main room/kitchen slide. Much better living space and layout with a queen size bed and double entry doors. We have had as many as 16 people all sitting down for dinner in that trailer.

Made easy access to bathroom with slide in. However, the longer the TT, the more cross-winds and trucks passing causes the TT to sway the towing vehicle. We both tired of that and moved up to a 35-ft. fifth wheel. Tows like magic, barely any effects from cross-winds and trucks passing. And.....it has a king-size bed for wife and me and numerous small dogs!!

Length and weight of any TT really depend on capabilities of your tow vehicle. Out Silverado 2500 Diesel is just about perfect.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm6 View Post
We have a popup now and really just go in it to sleep, wash hands, make lunch, etc. but of course stuff is all over the place since there is no room for anything.
I suppose with a trailer though, it will open up possibilities of going camping earlier or later in the year when the weather is not as nice so we would be inside more then.
If you have a pop up with plenty of sleeping room, you may be challenged to find that in a hardsided trailer.
A hardsided trailer might extend your camping season. You might want to look into a hybrid.
A hard sided trailer does have the advantage of having more storage space and the ability to keep stuff in the trailer between camping trips. There are some with a separate bunk room that gives parents and children more space.

There is no ideal length. I depends on the length of sites where you usually camp and if the layout of the rig meets your needs.. Over 30' can limit your options.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:56 PM   #32
ysidive

The perfect travele trailer simply does not exist....:roflbla ck:
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:09 PM   #33

85 feet might do it for awhile, of course that is only with 25 slide outs. My wife and I always joke that our trailer starts out at 34 feet when we first head out, but that it's only 12 feet long when we get home. It's obviously a "what works for you" kind of question. I've owned four rigs in 40 years, and our needs keep changing depending on what we're doing, and where we're going. Good luck in your quest. You're not alone.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:10 PM   #34

We progressed from a popup with 2 king beds and 2 elementary kids to a 21' hybrid with 2 late high school/early college kids (they still liked to camp) to a 26' Murphy bed with a U-dinette slide-out for the two of us. The dinette is our allowance for future grandkids sleeping inside while their parents sleep in a tent.

We don't think we'll ever go larger. The 26' trailer is at the limit of what our F150 can safely pull and we don't want a bigger truck. That's okay for us. If we change trailers, it might be to a walk-around bed, but not bigger than the current trailer.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:25 PM   #35
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'm with ppine, 25 foot with a Murphy bed. I have a 20' now with a Murphy bed, and it's great, but 5 more feet would still be nice to tow and backup, but have a little more space. I don't have slideouts either. They look nice but extra cost, extra weight, extra things to break. I have enough headaches without adding to them. BTW, the 20' trailer is just the 2 of us. If I was a family of 4, DEFINITELY a 25 footer.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:04 PM   #36

We often leave our Murphy bed down (but tidied up) during the day in our 19' Rockwood 2104s (which fits any campground) because we like the light coming in from that big window, and it's ready for a nap! With the slide out we still have plenty of floor space. Later in the day when it's time to use the couch we put it up. Bedtime, down it comes again. Maybe we're weird but this trailer is shorter than our previous trailer and it is perfect for us. No kids, no pets, and we don't live in it. It's a great place to be when we aren't out exploring. And we didn't have to buy a bigger truck!
Jerry Gaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #37

There are lots of older campgrounds in the West on USFS and National Parks that have never been updated. Thirty feet will not fit in a lot of those. 22-24 feet will fit almost anywhere.

There is no perfect RV sums it up, but 24 feet comes close.
Not everyone likes murphy beds for some reason. It is the only way to get a couch in a trailer under about 26 feet.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:09 AM   #38

Have you considered a toy hauler? There are lots of interesting configurations - and you don't have to use the garage for a toy! Mine didn't come with the bed that drops down from the ceiling, but did come with a fold up couch on each side of the garage. Some come with a generator, others are generator ready. They are a bit heavier but, take a look at the options, something might fit your needs.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:37 AM   #39
D W

The perfect RV is the one that YOU do your due diligence on before buying. No two people are the same, or have the same desires, needs and goals. Without your decision any recommendations will be purely subjective.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:03 PM   #40
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGal3 View Post
Have you considered a toy hauler? There are lots of interesting configurations - and you don't have to use the garage for a toy! Mine didn't come with the bed that drops down from the ceiling, but did come with a fold up couch on each side of the garage. Some come with a generator, others are generator ready. They are a bit heavier but, take a look at the options, something might fit your needs.

If we ever get another one, it will be one of these, in about 25'. I want to be able to haul a golf cart one day. As somebody else mentioned, that would probably be limit of what my F150 could haul.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer