Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2016, 05:10 PM   #1

What is this? See awning photo

Just noticed this on my last two trips. It's a wire that has emerged from the end of my three-year-old Carefree electric awning. It's on the end opposite from where the motor is. Awning is working fine, and so are the factory LED lights in the awning reel. And I actually think this is too big to be an electrical wire, anyway.

I thought it might be threaded through the fabric to hold it inside the reel, but the fabric is very tight against the reel for the entire length of it. Nothing seems to have pulled loose. I'm wondering if what I'm seeing was some extra length of retaining wire that was tucked in at the end and just came loose after three years.

What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_0001.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	110732  

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:59 PM   #2

Iwould bet on it being a fall out wire. I wouldn't worry too much about it.Tuck it back in and forget it.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
Site Team

It's the bead filler, not really a wire. It's a piece of PVC rod that goes through the sewn loop to hold the fabric in channel.

Check the other end to see if it's slipped over, but it was probably just extra length that was tucked under and has just came out. You can cut it off or tuck it back in if it hasn't slipped out.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:35 PM   #4

That is the spline that holds the awning in. Ours did that right out of the gate. Our dealer reset it and put set screws in both sides. To keep the spline in.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #5

That keeps your awning in that channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:08 PM   #6
TGR

Extend the awning all the way out and see that the fabric goes into and out of two of three tube slots. The fabric is held in place by round poly ropes, or splines. One of these splines is dangling free in the photo. You might be able to stuff this unsecured poly roap back into place.

As mentioned, some awnings use setscrews in the slots to keep the spline from moving but others use the metal covers to crimp the spline. It is important to keep the awning centered on the tube so it winds up straight. Check the other splines and see if they are properly secured then try and stuff this one back in place.

A setscrew might help hold the spline in place but I’ll bet simply putting the spline back in place will work fine.

Tags
awning