Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2024, 09:48 AM   #1

What is this tool? [SOLVED]

We purchased a 2019 FR Grey Wolf 23mk a few weeks ago. I'm hoping someone can tell me what this tool is. We don't know if it came from the the dealer when it was new or if it is just something the previous owner added.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240402_115955490.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	553.3 KB
ID:	298281  
Patton79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:51 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. That tool is used with the bars on a Weight Distributing Hitch (WDH). It came with hitch kit, not the trailer.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:02 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Welcome to the forum. That tool is used with the bars on a Weight Distributing Hitch (WDH). It came with hitch kit, not the trailer.
X2, it's a spring bar lift tool for a weight distribution hitch.

https://www.blueoxtowbars.com/blueox-bxw4043.html

History Mystery #107: Why are marshmallow circus peanuts orange in color, but banana in taste?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 10:03 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

Oh yeah, I have one of those! It sits in garage, never used. The power jack provides all the lift I need to get WDH bars on and off.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 10:22 AM   #5

Thank you for the info and rapid responses.
Patton79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 11:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Oh yeah, I have one of those! It sits in garage, never used. The power jack provides all the lift I need to get WDH bars on and off.
until one day you are camped in a spot that is not so level.
then you'll have to hookup and drag the trailer to a different location to finish putting on the WDH bars

Sometimes I can get mine close and use the bottom of my foot to get them seated... only if I remember to not to wear flip flops

----------------------------------------------
On a different NOTE
don't place that bar on the truck bumper
and all those nice shiny new pins and clips too

found my bar still sitting on the bumper when I went to the store
but the pins were scattered about 100 yards from where I disconnected the trailer.

OOOPS
Old 04-02-2024, 01:10 PM   #7

I painted mine the brightest florescent color that I could find in the spray paint aisle
Tlmgcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 01:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
until one day you are camped in a spot that is not so level.
then you'll have to hookup and drag the trailer to a different location to finish putting on the WDH bars

Sometimes I can get mine close and use the bottom of my foot to get them seated... only if I remember to not to wear flip flops

----------------------------------------------
On a different NOTE
don't place that bar on the truck bumper
and all those nice shiny new pins and clips too

found my bar still sitting on the bumper when I went to the store
but the pins were scattered about 100 yards from where I disconnected the trailer.

OOOPS
It seems to me if you can hook up then you can lift the tongue with the electric jack motor high enough to slide in the WDH bars? Maybe Iíve never camped in that unlevel of a site.

If the site was unlevel I leveled the trailer before unhooking.

Iím like NJKris.. never used mine once I learned how to lift the back of truck with electric power jack..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
It seems to me if you can hook up then you can lift the tongue with the electric jack motor high enough to slide in the WDH bars? Maybe Iíve never camped in that unlevel of a site.

Iím like NJKris.. never used mine once I learned how to lift the back of truck with electric power jack..
Sometimes the site dips at an angle right where the jack is, sometimes it rains and there is settling, and sometimes you can get it off but not high enough to get it back on. I've had all 3 happen over the years.

If you use x-chocks and ever applied them while on soft ground and then it rains...those can be fun too lol.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Tpc} View Post
Sometimes the site dips at an angle right where the jack is, sometimes it rains and there is settling, and sometimes you can get it off but not high enough to get it back on. I've had all 3 happen over the years.

If you use x-chocks and ever applied them while on soft ground and then it rains...those can be fun too lol.

I can happen for sure as you have had it happen on multiple occasions. I always put a wide base under my jack foot (4x4). Never had a settling but I guess I was lucky.

Only had the tongue pull for about 3 years and pulled from Florida to PEI in Canada and in between without a need for it. I still carried it but never had to use it once I learned how to lift the back of the truck with the jack motor.

Old 04-02-2024, 04:22 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post

Yep. My 4pt Equal-i-zer WDH came with that tool and I never had to use it since I had an electric tongue jack.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 07:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Yep. My 4pt Equal-i-zer WDH came with that tool and I never had to use it since I had an electric tongue jack.
X4!! If I have to move the truck and trailer a bit to get the bars on with the tongue jack no big deal. Much easier than struggling with the tool.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton79 View Post
We purchased a 2019 FR Grey Wolf 23mk a few weeks ago. I'm hoping someone can tell me what this tool is. We don't know if it came from the the dealer when it was new or if it is just something the previous owner added.
Not sure if you have an electric jack or not but many have alluded to using it to make getting the WDH bars on easily. Just in case you do t know what we are talking about here is the procedure..

1. Connect your travel trailer to your ball on the tow vehicle and close the latch to secure it to your tow vehicle

2. Start raising the tongue of your trailer. It will start lifting the back of your tow vehicle

3. Raise the tow vehicle enough that the bars can be slid and locked into place.

4. Lower the tongue and retract the jack leg to the towing position.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:18 AM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

I've had some unlevel sites in past 5 years (one actually) that was interesting using the jack, can't remember if it was nearly all the way retracted, or I had to jack it up to max extension, but still no problem. I can't imagine that would be a problem anywhere in Florida! When wife retires and we venture West, that will be a new animal to me and I'll try to remember to bring the tool. Or just take the darn bars off before backing into an unlevel spot!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 09:35 AM   #15

Quote:
I've had some unlevel sites in past 5 years (one actually) that was interesting using the jack, can't remember if it was nearly all the way retracted, or I had to jack it up to max extension, but still no problem. I can't imagine that would be a problem anywhere in Florida! When wife retires and we venture West, that will be a new animal to me and I'll try to remember to bring the tool. Or just take the darn bars off before backing into an unlevel spot!
X2!!! they are usually first off/last on anyways.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlmgcamp View Post
I painted mine the brightest florescent color that I could find in the spray paint aisle
This, lol. I wrapped some bright orange duct tape on mine when we used to need one of those. Most of the time I didnt even need it, but occasionally. And the orange duct tape made it very easy to see if it was sitting out somewhere it wasnt supposed to be.

Old 04-08-2024, 07:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

Same here, with the equalizer you only need to raise the jack a few inches after coupling the ball. I have the tool and never had to use it.

It would make a great weapon though.
gw1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 08:20 PM   #18

Quote:
be careful using the jack - outs lots of strain on the drop frame and the welds that attach the drop frame to the trailer frame. Mine broke twice! - the first time i had the welds redone and added about 6 more inches of weld - the 2nd time the welds held and the actual metal split and the top of the I beam broke.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4357.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	388.2 KB
ID:	298507  
ikoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 08:35 PM   #19

Just curious. Agree with using electric tongue instead of tool - but, in a pinch - know how to use tool to mount bars - but can it be used somehow to remove bars that still have pressure?
Normutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 08:38 AM   #20

Hiya, that is the jack to pry apart the equalizer hitch bars from the hitch itself. I got those myself last Nov when i went up to Shipshewana for my new Geo Pro (which I love). I have not had to use it yet, as the bars come off very easily.
Have fun and be safe out there.
Brad W.
Sierra Vista, AZ
2024 Geo prof 19FD.
bradwelton is offline   Reply With Quote