Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2018, 06:43 PM   #21

I love towing and camping - I'm gonna camp in my trailer.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #22

Last year the DW and I took a month long trip of 4895 miles. Our 14 Chevy Duramax,Allison towing our old 10.5K 5er averaged 14.8 mpg. This was from SW Mo to KC up through NB to Custer SD. Passed through WY to N CO (Loveland) to S Co back across KS to KC then home to St. Louis. 22 days of camping with numerous side trips and sleeping in our own bed. This works for us. Do what works for you. Enjoy yourselves.
Chascin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:06 AM   #23

We have a family wedding over Memorial Day weekend this year on Long Island, NY. No way am I towing the 5th wheel through NYC. Not at all happy about the $300/night hotel, but it is family so we go.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I'll also add- what year 1500 and engine? 6mpg is like 1975 454 type mileage!! I know with pretty much every TV I've had, if I slowed from 65 to 60mph, I could get an additional 2+ mpg while towing. Maybe slow down a little to conserve fuel and pay for the salmon fishing trip that way?
2013 with the 4.3

Tows it just fine, not worried about the power, but the gas mileage does suck when I'm pulling.

I got a screaming deal on it, but the next one will definitely be a V8.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladivar View Post
I can back up the numbers from Brother Les with my setup. I have a 2017 Ram 2500 CTD and pull a 10k loaded TT. Without the trailer in normal use (mix town/highway) I am averaging 19 - 21 MPG, with the TT hooked up that drops to 16 -18 MPG (mostly highway). I tow at a regular 60 - 65 MPH and the diesel makes it easy.

I would love to go on a ride along with one of you guys claiming these numbers. IF I placed your truck on cruise at 65 with that weight TT in tow and got 16-18 mpg, I'd question EVERY SINGLE THING IN MY LIFE I "KNOW" TO BE TRUE!!! You do realize you are claiming an ~ 15% fuel efficiency loss when doubling your weight and increasing your wind resistance by who knows how much, right?
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
We have a family wedding over Memorial Day weekend this year on Long Island, NY. No way am I towing the 5th wheel through NYC. Not at all happy about the $300/night hotel, but it is family so we go.
I believe it is interstate all the way to Long Island.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:00 AM   #27

Dinner for 4 at the restaurant, nothing too fancy, sets you back $150, dinner at the rv maybe $50 plus it gets everyone involved.

When I use public washrooms I never know what to expect.

My bed does not have bedbugs and I don't want to introduce them from somewhere else.

In the rv the AC/furnace don't bother me at night and the temperature is the way I like it.

Even if I don't take the trailer with me, it still costs me too get to places.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Find a nice used Diesel F-250 or similar size of a different Make Diesel, what ever you like.
Average around 14-18mpg, for me pulling, 18-23 not pulling. pulling is sweet and easy. Yes, the upfront cost is a little more, but the long run is worth it.
(((((( From dustman_stx What speed do you tow at? If 65, you're getting significantly better mileage than ANY diesel owner I've know and trusted to tell the truth about mileage. I had a 1997 F250 7.3L PSD, 2WD, manual, 3.55 gears- about the most efficient form of that truck available- and it would get around 22 pure highway mileage at 65-70 speed limits. Towing a 6-8K TT, you were looking at mid 11's under normal conditions. Most other 7.3L owners I've known would get around 2-4 less highway mileage and similar towing mileage depending upon configuration. The 1 ton dually 4x4 with 4.10 gears my parents had would get significantly less hwy mileage and slightly lower towing mileage, however. ))))))))))

From Brother Les: I took my Diesel out of 'stock', after the first few months that I owned it. Put a Chip in it with 'tow' and High Performance modes and opened up the air intake. Because I did this...I had shelled my transmission around 95,000 from running it hard..... 5,000$ later . now have a custom built transmission from:

E4OD | 4R100 | 5R110 Ford Diesel Powerstroke Transmissions The transmission has a custom shift plate to match my Super Chip. This changes the timing of the shifts and RPMs. Put a 6.0 trans cooler (on a 7.3) in front of the radiator to help keep the temps lower.

Now, I have a 35 foot long Hemisphere, I have been 'pulling' stuff for over 40years... in the past I have had 'no thought problems' of going 75-80mph down the road... but that speed kills everything... equipment, mileage... and what ever else that is in the way when going 'off' road'...oooppps .

I now drive as if I have an egg under the pedal (when pulling)(unless I want to 'smoke'r up'.. ) and keep the crusing driving speed at 60-65 mph.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #29
Broken Toe

For me its simple. I do not equate "traveling" to "camping". When I wanna camp, I take the camper. When I am traveling, I'll just stay in hotels. I do not just take the camper along simply for a place to sleep. I go camping to get all the things that come with camping. Campfires, S'mores, sitting out with friends, morning walks with the dog, etc.

Camping of course takes some sacrifice. It's gonna take longer, cost more in fuel and probably be a bit more maddening hauling a camper around behind you than just driving, but that's a price I'm willing to pay when I want to actually go camping. Besides, most major hotel chains frown at setting up campfires in their parking lots.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #30

Quote:
What speed do you tow at? If 65, you're getting significantly better mileage than ANY diesel owner I've know and trusted to tell the truth about mileage. I had a 1997 F250 7.3L PSD, 2WD, manual, 3.55 gears- about the most efficient form of that truck available- and it would get around 22 pure highway mileage at 65-70 speed limits. Towing a 6-8K TT, you were looking at mid 11's under normal conditions. Most other 7.3L owners I've known would get around 2-4 less highway mileage and similar towing mileage depending upon configuration. The 1 ton dually 4x4 with 4.10 gears my parents had would get significantly less hwy mileage and slightly lower towing mileage, however.
I get very similar mileage to what Brother Les is quoting, both towing and not towing. Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins. I tow around 65 mph.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
DRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:17 AM   #31

Quote:
(((((( From dustman_stx What speed do you tow at? If 65, you're getting significantly better mileage than ANY diesel owner I've know and trusted to tell the truth about mileage. I had a 1997 F250 7.3L PSD, 2WD, manual, 3.55 gears- about the most efficient form of that truck available- and it would get around 22 pure highway mileage at 65-70 speed limits. Towing a 6-8K TT, you were looking at mid 11's under normal conditions. Most other 7.3L owners I've known would get around 2-4 less highway mileage and similar towing mileage depending upon configuration. The 1 ton dually 4x4 with 4.10 gears my parents had would get significantly less hwy mileage and slightly lower towing mileage, however. ))))))))))

From Brother Les: I took my Diesel out of 'stock', after the first few months that I owned it. Put a Chip in it with 'tow' and High Performance modes and opened up the air intake. Because I did this...I had shelled my transmission around 95,000 from running it hard..... 5,000$ later . now have a custom built transmission from:

E4OD | 4R100 | 5R110 Ford Diesel Powerstroke Transmissions The transmission has a custom shift plate to match my Super Chip. This changes the timing of the shifts and RPMs. Put a 6.0 trans cooler (on a 7.3) in front of the radiator to help keep the temps lower.

Now, I have a 35 foot long Hemisphere, I have been 'pulling' stuff for over 40years... in the past I have had 'no thought problems' of going 75-80mph down the road... but that speed kills everything... equipment, mileage... and what ever else that is in the way when going 'off' road'...oooppps .

I now drive as if I have an egg under the pedal (when pulling)(unless I want to 'smoke'r up'.. ) and keep the crusing driving speed at 60-65 mph.
Do you allow the truck to slow on inclines and then resume speed back down? Did you check mileage with a tail wind? If I "hypermiled" my old 7.3 and didn't break 60, I MIGHT be able to get into the low range of what you state, 14-15, when towing my TT. But I could do the same thing with my new 2018 EB and get probably in the 12's. That's not how most people drive, so I don't quote those numbers because it gives a false reading for what most would consider normal driving. I can also pull close to 30 mpg unloaded with that truck at 55, but, once again, not really an honest indicator for what others could expect, so I don't quote that as my mileage.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #32

All loaded on the road my total weight with truck, RV, all the goodies, 2 dogs and DW I'm scaled at 18,200#. Last summer we averaged 11.8 MPG on a 5800 mile trip with our 2014 Ram 2500 TCD. Same RV a few years ago we did good to average 8 MPG with a 5.7 gasser. 60 - 65 MPH max when towing
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #33

We also bought a rv for the ability of sleeping in our really nice bed every night. Same toilet, same clean floor, etc. The drinks are free. We have two lazy boys to sit in and watch the tube. And Phydeaux will protect us.

Our Ram HD diesel gets 12-15 mpg in short trips. Mom lets it sit and idle to heat up all winter. On the highway we get 21 mpg at 75-80. Pulling our #14,000 fifth wheel we get 12 mpg at 60-65.

The Ram diesel costs $10,000 more to purchase. However, it is a $10,000 add on when yous sell it. Thus costs nothing extra to speak of.

We can go anywhere the 18 wheelers go.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #34

Quote:
I would love to go on a ride along with one of you guys claiming these numbers. IF I placed your truck on cruise at 65 with that weight TT in tow and got 16-18 mpg, I'd question EVERY SINGLE THING IN MY LIFE I "KNOW" TO BE TRUE!!! You do realize you are claiming an ~ 15% fuel efficiency loss when doubling your weight and increasing your wind resistance by who knows how much, right?
I do not use the Cruise control.... I am able to keep my RPMs at 1800 in overdrive at 62mph on the straight flat roads. I more/less drive by the Tach.... if going up an incline and the "four barrel" kicks in (what's a four barrel, dad???lol)and sends the tach to 3,000... I back it off and go up the incline at a slower mph. . (yes, I can increase my speed easily to 70-80mph going up sharp inclines at 3,00rpms, while pull my trailer..., but I do not do that any more). Do I care if people are passing me??? Well, they pass me at 62mph... they can also pass me at 58mph.... Slow and steady wins the race of safety and fuel mileage....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:03 AM   #35

Quote:
I do not use the Cruise control.... I am able to keep my RPMs at 1800 in overdrive at 62mph on the straight flat roads. I more/less drive by the Tach.... if going up an incline and the "four barrel" kicks in (what's a four barrel, dad???lol)and sends the tach to 3,000... I back it off and go up the incline at a slower mph. . (yes, I can increase my speed easily to 70-80mph going up sharp inclines at 3,00rpms, while pull my trailer..., but I do not do that any more). Do I care if people are passing me??? Well, they pass me at 62mph... they can also pass me at 58mph.... Slow and steady wins the race of safety and fuel mileage....

Exactly! And this makes sense. I can see how you could get the mileage you quote driving the way you report. And, YES, I know what a four barrel is! Even though I was born in 1980. I rebuilt a 72 F100 with a hopped up 390 I also built(Well, I did the majority of the build- didn't have the tools to assemble the bottom end or the heads, but did everything else). Was a LOT of fun opening up the old 4 barrel. Never checked mileage on that one, lol!
Old 05-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #36

I think you need to factor in the cost of the 2000 mile trip. Obviously that won't be done in a couple of days, so you need to determine how much to eat out, how many and how much for motel stays and if you are driving, there will still be a cost for gas even though you won't use as much.
Mrt2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #37

We have never been able to equate the dollars and cents. Regardless of how manny MPG one gets the simple cost of the TT, TV, plates insurance, campground fees on and on averaged out to the amount of nights spent in it is not cheaper unless you are blessed to be able to spend a lot of days camping! Or are extremely frugal I suppose... for us we love to camp plain and simple $500 more to be in our own beds with our family around the fire I personally wouldn’t even question. That’s just us and how we are but we all have our own preferences and that’s another thing that makes it great - the ability to choose what we want to do and how we want to do it. Pack up and head somewhere else if we want too... I wonder what’s over the next hill mentality. It’s just the way we are and I’m thankful the good Lord let’s us do it!
Either way just enjoy your adventure!
Oops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #38

If you're worried about bedbugs, and you certainly should be, the Ohio State bedding inspector was talking to us one day at the dealership. She said to leave your luggage outside the room/cabin. One person go in and pull the sheets back to expose the mattress. Look for dark staining, especially around the stitching. Check for "trails" around pictures and light fixtures and switches. If you see any sign of them don't stay and don't take another room in the same complex. We stay in motels/hotels VERY infrequently and much prefer the comfort of our C. What's the point in having it if you don't use it?
Captain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #39

For us it isn’t really about the cost but the fact that our tv has 300,000 miles on it. After we get the engine and trans rebuilt we will go farther
Old 05-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
If you're worried about bedbugs, and you certainly should be, the Ohio State bedding inspector was talking to us one day at the dealership. She said to leave your luggage outside the room/cabin. One person go in and pull the sheets back to expose the mattress. Look for dark staining, especially around the stitching. Check for "trails" around pictures and light fixtures and switches. If you see any sign of them don't stay and don't take another room in the same complex. We stay in motels/hotels VERY infrequently and much prefer the comfort of our C. What's the point in having it if you don't use it?

I did all of this. Even researched bed bug sightings (there are websites for this) before booking. We saw no signs of bedbugs other than the one we actually saw. My guess is that an adjacent room had them and this one found it's way over or someone that was carrying them had just recently been in our room and left this one behind. So- you can't always see a LOT of sign unless there is an actual infestation.

Tags
camper