Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy300 View Post
I've left the Genisis 3 on when I was using it for surround sound on the television.
Good luck!
The Genisis 3 is never completely off. The Genesis has a remote control. The Genesis 3 has receiver that is always ON waiting for the Remote Control to send a signal to turn on the Genesis. The Genesis 3 also has a clock, and that clock is always drawing a bit of power even if the display is off. The Genesis 3 has a memory for retained radio stations. The memory takes a bit of power.

The same would be true for any other remote controlled accessory in the camper - a remote controlled Fantastic Fan for instance. Or a charging station with a USB outlet. Ours has a blue light that is always on.

I forgot to turn off the main 12v power switch the other day. While my battery was low, I measured a .3A draw on the battery from the ghost power users.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:39 PM   #22

The easy solution is this $5 cut off switch from walmart on the negative battery terminal.

Any FULLY charged 12V battery will last for MONTHS with this switch turned off since passive discharge is 10% per month in moderate climates...less in cold...more (15%) in places like FL & AZ. I would suggest 90 days is about as long as you want to go without a recharge to be safe. I further suggest that NO charging during this time is BETTER for battery life than trickle charging. A deep discharge and full bulk and absorbtion charge is better protection against sulfation than a continuous maintenance charge.

If you want more than a fix...and want to KNOW what your parasitic items are...then get a clamp ammeter (AC/DC) and put it on the red battery wire to read the amp draw with "everything turned off" start throwing breakers and pulling and replacing fuses to identify what is causing your amp draws. Then attend to them as you see fit or just turn the walmart switch off when you leave the coach unattended.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:28 PM   #23
Another adventure awaits!

TV Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
Check that your Tv booster is off, that will kill it in a day or two.
Also, make sure your fridge is actually off.
When you open it, if the light comes on, it is not off and it will kill it in a few days also.
Don't ask me how I know of the above things. LOL
Hello ... Read your response and was wondering, what is a TV booster and where would you find it? Have a 2014 sabre 33ckts.

Thanks
HESN22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:38 PM   #24

He is talking about the antenna power booster for the TV. It is normally turned on/off on the wall plate where you plug in your coax TV cable. Most of those plates have a little red light to indicate they are on or off.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:11 PM   #25

On our old trailer it was the Co2 detector, try unplugging one fuse at a time when the drain stops happening you've found the fuse that controls it. Only problem with this you might have more than one thing causing the drain.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #26

Use cut off switch next to battery to prevent drain

My Rockwood 8280ws fifth wheel has a battery disconnect switch located at back of battery case. My battery would always drain down within a couple of days until I started disconnecting the switch between trips.
RKanehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #27

Many devices today have two power circuits in them. One is shut off when the device is turned off while the other remains on all the time. The second power circuit is used to maintain device memory such as pushbutton selectable radio channels. AC TVs do this for "instant on" functionality, a problem commonly called vampire power consumption.

My Georgetown has a house battery disconnect that doesn't really disconnect everything. Power is still available at the hydraulic leveler control system, the motorized step controller, the powered front shade controller, radio, and possible some other device four years of ownership haven't yet discovered. The shade and radio draw from the engine battery and the others from the house battery. If I wanted to use a mechanical disconnect, I think I'd need to install two of them because there's wiring to the RV from both of the house batteries. Fortunately, the normal draw from all of these devices isn't enough to drain the batteries during a month of storage - my "exercise the generator" interval.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #28
Another adventure awaits!

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
He is talking about the antenna power booster for the TV. It is normally turned on/off on the wall plate where you plug in your coax TV cable. Most of those plates have a little red light to indicate they are on or off.
Will look for that ... Was trying to find where it was located last wknd ... No info in manual ... Thank you
HESN22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HESN22 View Post
Will look for that ... Was trying to find where it was located last wknd ... No info in manual ... Thank you
Generally in the form of a small black push button on the antenna plug plate.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:21 PM   #30

As a note, my trailer has been unplugged for 7 days. Went out to hook it up today, plenty of power for the landing legs and ran both slides out and back in and no strain at all.
Battery IS new.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #31

Disconnect the battery with your favorite method. Works for you every time. Good luck
trackmanbfa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery