Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
What's FMCA?
FMCA is Family Motor Coach Association, hq'd in Cincinnati, OH. I joined them this year because of their roadside assistance, if something happens to me and I need medical help their policy (included with the membership) will get me to either the nearest medical facility or fly me and my wife home and have someone bring my RV home also which was very important to me since I am 80 years old and anything could happen. Also their roadside service is only $69 a year which is about $100 less than GS. I am still a GS member since it is good to 2020 but no longer have any of their roadside insurance. I did use GS twice with one good and one so-so experience. If you call their road service you may need to know a second language.

FMCA used to be pretty snooty if you didn't have a motor coach but they realized their membership was declining because of old age people passing away and they needed the revenue so they decided to open it up to any type of RV. Most of their members agreed to that, although there are still a few that look down on towables but they just have to suck it up.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #22

I have towing with my state farm. Good sam roadside and aaa rv coverage. They are all inexpensive and have only used aaa once for gas when my generator fuel line got snagged on something and drained the tank.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #23

Stick with AAA, you are only adding $17, never had any problems with them.
jsaes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
My experience over the years is that the insurance company RSA's have not been very reliable and tend to make you wait for hours on end or only cover part of the service call.
I agree, and will go one step further to say ANY RSA will be very slow to respond, especially out west.

We have always had one RSA or another. Have called them several times but never used them due to response time estimates. For a flat, it's just easier and faster to do it myself. The only time I will call an RSA is if I need a tow.

So find the one with the best tow package for you and your trailer.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
FMCA is Family Motor Coach Association, hq'd in Cincinnati, OH. I joined them this year because of their roadside assistance, if something happens to me and I need medical help their policy (included with the membership) will get me to either the nearest medical facility or fly me and my wife home and have someone bring my RV home also which was very important to me since I am 80 years old and anything could happen. Also their roadside service is only $69 a year which is about $100 less than GS. I am still a GS member since it is good to 2020 but no longer have any of their roadside insurance. I did use GS twice with one good and one so-so experience. If you call their road service you may need to know a second language.

FMCA used to be pretty snooty if you didn't have a motor coach but they realized their membership was declining because of old age people passing away and they needed the revenue so they decided to open it up to any type of RV. Most of their members agreed to that, although there are still a few that look down on towables but they just have to suck it up.
Lots of good information here. Thank you!
Larry

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post

They also have a tire program with Michelin and Continental tire for purchasing tires at a discount. You can find a local chapter to join after you join the national unit. Our local chapter has a couple of people who have 5th wheels.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:29 PM   #27

As a long time motorcycle rider I belong to the American Motorcycle Association. I get free roadside assistance for up to 5 vehicles (yes, RVs included) since I renew automatically with a credit card. I've used it once with good results. Free is good.
oldjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:33 PM   #28
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I think we'll find that no matter who we have, liked and have never had problems with, that others have had problems with all of them.

None of them will be perfect 100% of the time.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #29

Ask about off-road assistance

If you boondock, or I guess even if you camp in non-blacktop campgrounds, ask them if they cover you when away from a paved road. I needed assistance with my truck out in the desert, 3 miles from a paved road, and GEICO roadside assistance, that I buy with my truck and trailer insurance, had no problem with that. On another occasion, I helped out a van dweller who was stuck in sand in the dispersed camping area on a wildlife refuge. Her plan - I forget if it was State Farm or Allstate - would not come and tow her out because she was over 15 feet from a paved road. Yes, 15 feet!

2018 Coachmen Viking 21RD
2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi 4x4
Full-timing since October 2017
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplantcjf View Post
Coach-net. Used them 4 times in first 2 years. Have had it for 5 years now.(new trailer with broken welds on axles wore out tires). They came out each time quickly. Never raised my price because I used it. So far I love Coach-net.
We have Coach Net that was included by Forest River when we purchased our motorhome. We broke down (bad water pump), and waited over 6 hours for the tow truck. Turns out, we were in Northern Oregon, and instead of sending a truck from a town 20 min away that was awash with tow trucks (we saw them as they towed us past them), they sent one from a town in Washington! And then, they wanted us to be towed to a town 90 miles away instead of to the dealership that was closest to where we were going which was also only 60 miles away. We insisted they take us where WE wanted to go, and the agent fought us on it! Could not believe it. We have AAA on our other cars and as soon as the year is up, will be adding RV to that and giving up the Coach Net.
Windsurf-mobile for us
LandKKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
What's FMCA?
Family MotorCoach Assoc. They just started taking Towed members
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:36 PM   #32
T&L

In British Columbia , Canada we have the sister company of AAA called BCAA. We have coverage that includes the RV. Over the last 15 years have had 2 breakdowns with our TV that required towing. Both times came within an hour and towed both the TV and our Travel Trailer. The first was a short tow to the repair shop for a blown radiator hose and the travel trailer to a campground..... The second one was in the Rocky mountains about 80km from Jasper, Alberta. Took the TV to a repair shop for a new alternator and the 31 ' Trailer to a campground. The second tow alone would have cost me over $500. if I did not have coverage. BCAA is affiliated with AAA and the coverage is good anywhere in North America. I would recommend that you look into the AAA coverage and make sure that it covers long distance towing.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #33

Lets see.......We have AAA, Coach-net, progressive, State Farm and Ford.We figure between all of them we'll get some help. DW and joked if something ever does happen we'll call all of them and see who gets there first.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #34

The USAA insurance on my truck also covers my 5th wheel. I have used it to tow the truck by itself once but never used it to tow both the truck and 5th wheel. When I spoke with them they told me if I break down towing the RV they will tow the RV to a park and the truck to a repair facility. I hope I never have to use it, but USAA has always treated me right with everything else. I don't currently feel the need to buy a separate RV policy from AAA or Good Sam to cover what USAA says they will cover.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #35
Coach

AAA gold plus RV. We've never used it personally for the RV, but many times on vehicles. They tow 100 miles under policy, will tow further but that gets expensive. While camping at the Outer Banks of NC, our new neighbor pulled in late one night. His truck was on a flatbed and his fifth wheel pulled by another truck behind them. Blew his turbo about 90 miles from the campground. They brought him the rest of the way. Backed his truck and camper right into his site for him. He said he wasn't about to miss any time at the beach over a busted truck and thanks to AAA he didn't. Good enough for me.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:10 PM   #36

We are happy full time campers travelling every year, for 9 years, from Ontario to the Sunny South, either Texas, Arizona or Florida and have had God Sam Roadside Assistance for the past 6 years and have used their services many times for keys left inside when our dog accidentally locked the doors, Mrs left keys in car while still running and locked, truck quit on the freeway in Alabama and they towed the RV to the closest campground and the truck to the GM dealer in the nearby town. Also have had at least 5 tire failures that have required their services including one that required a new tire be brought along to replace the spare after we blew two tires in three hours.( poorly made foreign tires )
NEVER have we had to wait, either in Canada or any of the US States that we were in, more than a couple of hours and the service was always as good or better than could be expected.
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:05 AM   #37

I live in Pennsylvania and was able to get AAA Plus to include my TT.
/s/ George Hay Kain, III - 2018 Forest River Wildwood 254RLXL; 2013 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4x4; ZEEPIN TPMS Solar Power Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System; Sherline LM 2000 - Trailer Tongue Weight Scale 2000 lb; Furrion 381556 FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System.
ghkain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:08 AM   #38

Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA). Go to FMCA.com, and check it out. Good luck!
RLHAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #39

Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHAMILTON View Post
If you belong to FMCA, recommend their roadside assistance. Only costs $69 per year, and their service is great.
Just addrd FMCA and cancelled AAA. Was cheaper and hopefuly better coverage
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:11 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I've had a couple different ones, but the only one I did have and still do is the Good Sam's Roadside Assistance program.

Used it once out in the middle of Nowheresville, Nebraska when I ran out of gas.

Paid for itself that day!

Here is a shot of that most memorable moment:
Damm nice looking HWY !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote