Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2019, 09:27 AM   #1

What the %^&% is that stench?

So a month ago I installed this and the good news is I did not fall through roof nor does the roof leak.

However...there is the horrible stench of a dead animal only in the trailer and only when there is crap in the black water tank.

I installed it and and we went a long weekend trip. After a day or so it really started to smell inside the trailer in the bathroom.

At first I thought an animal made a hole in the black cover underneath and crawled up there and died. But you only smell it from the inside. So when we left I emptied the tank and eventual the smell went away.

We left for another trip and again after a day or so the smell came back. While on the trip I bought one of these but that did not help as smell was still there

Could I have bent a pipe while on the roof. Toilet is your basic Dometic with the foot peddle flush.

UPDATE:

TT 2018 Forest River Salem Ultra Lite
Also I did not touch the pipes, could I pushed the pipe down just being on the roof?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_20190801_071227.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	211323  
tyler811 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:43 AM   #2
llr

I suspect you may have pushed the vent pipe down, if the bottom is below the top of the liquid it can't vent.

It seems many times they are not secured properly of even too low from the factory.

It probably won't be hard to lift, the hard part is not going too far and pulling it out
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
Site Team

Check your black tank vent. It's possible that it's plugged up. Looks like this:

Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #4
Site Team

It might help to know which RV you have.

I don't think the installation of the cover has anything to do with the odor you're getting.

Have you checked the AAV's (Air Admittance Valve) under the sinks?
Do you have standard traps or Hepvo traps?
Old 08-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #5

Smell like #1 or #2? Have you done sniff test under the sink? Do you have a black tank flush?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Smell like #1 or #2? Have you done sniff test under the sink? Do you have a black tank flush?
Update original post with picture of roof TT.

Sniff test not under BR sink and no BT flush, thats why I bought the sewer pipe and flush out. Which I might add before we broke camp there was only clear water coming out.

And the valves, I will have to look but I do not remember seeing those under the sink.

Definitely number 2
tyler811 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:24 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler811 View Post

Sniff test not under BR sink and no BT flush, thats why I bought the sewer pipe and flush out
FWIW, that tank flush thing that you bought isn't going to do much. The water it's spraying likely isn't getting into your black tank at all. At best it might be getting partway up the discharge pipe.

You'd probably be better getting a sprayer that you can stick down your toilet into the tank and/or filling your tank multiple times and then draining it.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #8
Site Team

Here's a good video comparing different products.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

The only thing I can think to add is... if you now leave your roof vent open (since you installed a cover) maybe the odor from the vent pipe (on the roof and in close proximity to the vent) is being sucked into the R/V through the now open vent. Simply the installation of the roof vent cover really shouldn't have changed anything.

I also agree those drain port connection flushers really don't flush anything other than the hose. Not much makes it way into the tank. It simply all runs out the hose before ever getting to the tank as there is no way to block off what runs down the hose.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:

Sniff test not under BR sink and no BT flush, thats why I bought the sewer pipe and flush out. Which I might add before we broke camp there was only clear water coming out.

And the valves, I will have to look but I do not remember seeing those under the sink.

Definitely number 2
I’m sorry, I looked at your flush set up and thought you had the Flush King. I used to use the Flush King when I did not have a BT flush.. with the Flush King you can shut The drain so it backfills the black tank so you can flush it that way... https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-Degr...e%2C186&sr=1-2

Old 08-01-2019, 12:43 PM   #11

Odor may have always been there and the addition of the vent cap...as one posted, is now drawing that odor into the TT. Toss out the clear plastic thing as all it does is gives you the ability to watch the clean water run down the drain hose and does nothing for the inside of your tank.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:33 PM   #12

stench

Quote:
So a month ago I installed this and the good news is I did not fall through roof nor does the roof leak.

However...there is the horrible stench of a dead animal only in the trailer and only when there is crap in the black water tank.

I installed it and and we went a long weekend trip. After a day or so it really started to smell inside the trailer in the bathroom.

At first I thought an animal made a hole in the black cover underneath and crawled up there and died. But you only smell it from the inside. So when we left I emptied the tank and eventual the smell went away.

We left for another trip and again after a day or so the smell came back. While on the trip I bought one of these but that did not help as smell was still there

Could I have bent a pipe while on the roof. Toilet is your basic Dometic with the foot peddle flush.

UPDATE:

TT 2018 Forest River Salem Ultra Lite
Also I did not touch the pipes, could I pushed the pipe down just being on the roof?
I have to agree with Bama Rambler , The same thing happened to me and it was the AAV valve.
Look under the sink and there will be a verticle pipe coming up off the drain.
It will look like a cap for a pipe. It unscrews and you can go to lowes or home depot and pick one up for less then $10.

It would be a cheap test.
Tony4eight1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #13
CGK
Camping with Labs

Lots of good advice, as is the norm on this forum. I'd have thought it was the AAV, as others have suggested; but it seems too coincidental that this occurred just after you installed the MaxxAir. If the black tank vent is too close to the MaxxAir, or if the breeze is such that it is blowing from the black tank toward the MaxxAir, that could be the issue....guess I'm agreeing with TheWolfpaq82 and 5picker, as usual. Also agree with those who feel the hand-held wand through the toilet opening might work better for your black water tank wash-out. But you may still want to keep the clear elbow (be sure to plug the hose connection) so you can see the results of your handiwork!
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Lots of good advice, as is the norm on this forum. I'd have thought it was the AAV, as others have suggested; but it seems too coincidental that this occurred just after you installed the MaxxAir. If the black tank vent is too close to the MaxxAir, or if the breeze is such that it is blowing from the black tank toward the MaxxAir, that could be the issue....guess I'm agreeing with TheWolfpaq82 and 5picker, as usual. Also agree with those who feel the hand-held wand through the toilet opening might work better for your black water tank wash-out. But you may still want to keep the clear elbow (be sure to plug the hose connection) so you can see the results of your handiwork!

Model 300 toilet?
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
Model 300 toilet?
OP said it smelled definitely like #2 not #1. That was my original thought..

Old 08-01-2019, 04:22 PM   #16

vent cover

Could you have put the new vent cover on 180 degrees from the old one? If so, could cause it to suck in odor from toilet vent. Probable not, but I have done some silly things over the years.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:27 PM   #17

If you have a Domnetic 300, call Domnetic Sanitation with your toilet model number and serial number. Several of these toilets were assembled wrong and Domnetic is replacing the affected toilets. They are also offering upgrades if they will fit your unit. The serial number is on the right side of the toilet above the foot peddle.
HMC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post

Try leaving this vent closed for a while and see if the stench is reduced or goes away.

If it does, then air flow on the roof has changed enough to bring the "fumes" back in the vent.

Perhaps installation of one of these on the tank vent(s) would solve the problem:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40597-B...18728745&psc=1

These work much like a "Dutch Cap" on a fireplace chimney where breezes can sometimes blow smoke back down the chimney.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #19

Did you have the stink before or after you put that thing on vent pipe ?
Kwralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:24 PM   #20

I looked and I do not have the vents in my piping. Here are pictures of under the tub and where it connects to the sink and from there it is straight drop in the grey water tank. I checked again and the smell is coming from the inside. I have closed the vent to see if it is the toilet and not the vent pulling it in from the black water tank. The picture is the kitchen sink run.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190802_173722264.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	211414Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190802_173550258.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	211415Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190802_174130268.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	211416