Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2021, 07:33 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
Dammit, Wolf, hush up! That's our secret.
We do the same Sunday to Thursday return home Friday thing. In the summer season we’ve found the state parks to be 50% full during the week (the more popular state parks with lakes or beaches are usually full all summer) but the private parks are pretty much 50% empty. But starting Thursday night through the weekend the private parks turn into golf cart race tracks. We enjoy meeting new people but the weekends just get to crazy for us.
“Don’t take life too seriously...Nobody gets out alive anyway”
rickemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:27 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberte52 View Post
Some covid RV buyers will soon realize how hard it is to get reservations in some areas of the country and find places to store their units if the HOA will not allow storage. I bet they will soon start selling their units which should help the rest of us "regular" RV campers!
THOR RV has a 14 BILLION DOLLAR BACKLOG. So-RV camping is changing for ever.
cknsls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:41 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cknsls View Post
THOR RV has a 14 BILLION DOLLAR BACKLOG. So-RV camping is changing for ever.
At an average price of $50,000 then the backlog would be 280,000 RVs. I’m not believing that, but it is an RV seller so no surprise there.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:54 PM   #44

state park CG

I agree with Nick. Have a friend who likes to pitch a camp in the middle of nowhere. Makes him happy. Me, I prefer the nicer things in a CG. Plus SP usually don't have sewer and my group cannot last 2 days without dumping so I'd either be moving every day or have to tow the dump trailers twice daily.
Mikolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:58 PM   #45

Spending 4 nights, Sunday to Thursday, at an Ohio State Park campground. Between Golden Buckeye card discount and using reward points we paid less than $15.

OH SORRY, that's $15,000. Just stay elsewhere... LOL!
HSage3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:36 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf26 View Post
It didn't take us long to figure out to book our stays from Sunday thru Thursday and leave Friday. During the week most State parks are pretty much empty. Being retired helps.
Sh! Keep the state parks a SECRET! LOL! But you are right, it helps being retired! Yay!

I have a theory (or maybe it's a hope?) that once the USA is back to some type of normalcy, those who bought RVs during Covid "to get away for an actual vacay" will find that they rather go back to cruising or flying off to Europe or elsewhere. And, there will be a flood of RVs on the market and the RV parks won't be quite as crowded. Well, I can hope, can't I?
Bev4banff53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:35 PM   #47

Probably still much cheaper than a resort hotel
richardbrucewinquestjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:55 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Maybe I actually missed the point but at what point is taking a motor home, 5th wheel or travel trailer actually "roughing it"? I'm in my 60's, done plenty of deployments to some of the worst places in the world, been stung by scorpions, etc....and would never call what I do now as "roughing it". People spend exorbitant amounts of money for a camper and want to travel to experience something different. I for one do not want to go to a place that is difficult to get into, might damage my camper, is constantly muddy because it's not maintained properly and smells of sewage. How is that enjoyable?
I'm not a big fan of large corporations gobbling up all the little guys but they are offering what the customer wants. Have you ever noticed the difference between a Motel 6 and a Hilton or Marriott hotel? And they attract different clientele. At some point you have to provide what the customer wants or you go out of business. And if you're operating on a shoe string budget it shows.
Just my opinion and its worth exactly what you paid for it.
I don’t think anyone is denying that campgrounds and corporate consolidators are responding to consumer demand. In fact , I think that IS the point. They aren’t investing millions out of stupidity. They do know their customer, but it’s not me.

That said, none of us favors run down campgrounds that smell like sewage. There’s plenty of wonderful non-resort CGs that don’t look or smell like that. We are mourning their disappearance from the scene.

That said...thanks for your service! 🇺🇸
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:51 PM   #49
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikolow View Post
I agree with Nick. Have a friend who likes to pitch a camp in the middle of nowhere. Makes him happy. Me, I prefer the nicer things in a CG. Plus SP usually don't have sewer and my group cannot last 2 days without dumping so I'd either be moving every day or have to tow the dump trailers twice daily.

RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:58 PM   #50
Open Space Wanted

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev4banff53 View Post
Sh! Keep the state parks a SECRET! LOL! But you are right, it helps being retired! Yay!

I have a theory (or maybe it's a hope?) that once the USA is back to some type of normalcy, those who bought RVs during Covid "to get away for an actual vacay" will find that they rather go back to cruising or flying off to Europe or elsewhere. And, there will be a flood of RVs on the market and the RV parks won't be quite as crowded. Well, I can hope, can't I?

I'm still flying to Europe. Didn't get a travel trailer to save money or not "travel" during the rona. We've taken vacations and traveled for business the whole time.

I'm transitioning from tent camping in the hopes of keeping their interest alive, even if I have to do it alone with the dog.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:03 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
They also did the same thing to another CG that has a lake that was open to the public for decades. Now the lake is only open to the people staying in the CG. I have yet to see more than 1 or 2 people in the lake whenever I drive by it. In years past it was full to capacity.
You must be talking about Sycamore RV Park. So, they turned it into a "resort", huh? Stayed there for 10-12 days 4/5 years ago. Was not impressed. The owners/managers, whatever they were, were not actually rude but very, very cold/distant.

If we see "resort" in a CG's title we don't even bother stopping - just keep going. There are so few CG's in the Chicago area and it is too bad this "resort" is now off the list. I can deal with cold/distant but not "resort".
yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:18 AM   #52
Cousins

Florida Panhandle Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Just stayed in campgrounds in Crawfordville, Fl and Milton Fl both on loose sand and sparse grass. Both were $70.00 a night. Stayed in the Milton one last year for $44.00. Both campgrounds were full of high end 5th wheels and motor homes.
To add to that, Hotels in the Florida Panhandle are outrageous. Sandestin Hilton is $1000 per night. Hampton Inns along I-10 are $250 per night. Ft Walton Beach Hilton Garden Inn is $715 per night. I’m paying only $133 per night in Hilton Orlando Disney Springs. The Panhandle is very expensive right now.
Eddie and Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:27 AM   #53
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongold View Post
You must be talking about Sycamore RV Park. So, they turned it into a "resort", huh? Stayed there for 10-12 days 4/5 years ago. Was not impressed. The owners/managers, whatever they were, were not actually rude but very, very cold/distant.

If we see "resort" in a CG's title we don't even bother stopping - just keep going. There are so few CG's in the Chicago area and it is too bad this "resort" is now off the list. I can deal with cold/distant but not "resort".
Calling yourself a 'resort' is very important, because it is the first step in charging the golden cash cow 'resort fee'! They all look with great jealousy the money raked in by hotels doing this. And the more people just pay it, the more people accept it and think it's the norm.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:35 AM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukongold View Post

Never heard of Sycamore RV park. I was actually referring to Lake Louise in Byron, IL.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Never heard of Sycamore RV park. I was actually referring to Lake Louise in Byron, IL.
Oh. My bad. That will be another one for my don't bother list.
You can mark off Sycamore. I'm sure you know where it is - - just a few miles northeast of DeKalb.
yukongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:46 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Maybe I actually missed the point but at what point is taking a motor home, 5th wheel or travel trailer actually "roughing it"? I'm in my 60's, done plenty of deployments to some of the worst places in the world, been stung by scorpions, etc....and would never call what I do now as "roughing it". People spend exorbitant amounts of money for a camper and want to travel to experience something different. I for one do not want to go to a place that is difficult to get into, might damage my camper, is constantly muddy because it's not maintained properly and smells of sewage. How is that enjoyable?
I'm not a big fan of large corporations gobbling up all the little guys but they are offering what the customer wants. Have you ever noticed the difference between a Motel 6 and a Hilton or Marriott hotel? And they attract different clientele. At some point you have to provide what the customer wants or you go out of business. And if you're operating on a shoe string budget it shows.
Just my opinion and its worth exactly what you paid for it.
I agree
masque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:58 AM   #57

Here’s my take coming from this as not a lifelong camper.

I have been around “camping” most of life. But to me that meant setting up a tent near a creek and sleeping on the ground. Lol. Then years ago I had some x in laws that owned a motor home and I used to hang out with them in campgrounds. It was cool.

Then many years later I took the plunge and bought me a camper. A large pull behind travel trailer to accommodate large family gatherings.

Where I live in southern KY, almost all campgrounds are state park or mom and pop owned facilities. Usually about $35 per night, with one decent playground for the kids and very few additional amenities. Count yourself extremely lucky if you get a sewer hookup. BUT they are usually clean and lots of fun to hang out in.

With that said we have also travelled some and gone to some of the higher end, more expensive paces loaded with amenities and activities. And they cost a lot more. We gladly pay the higher fees because when we are able to go to these paces my family really enjoys these kinds of trips as well.

So for us we enjoy both kinds of camping and I don’t think we will see the immediate demise of cheaper, less amenity type state park campgrounds anytime soon because you’re lucky to book a spot in there now.

There will always be people who prefer to pay less and stay in places like that because they either don’t want to additional amenities and luxuries or they cannot afford them.

And yes there is a gigantic difference staying at the Bellagio in Vegas than staying a super 8 hotel. But there is room and reason for both to be here and survive.
masque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:31 AM   #58
Trailer Park Supervisor

Wait.....the Super 8 doesn't have the fountains???
Old 06-16-2021, 08:02 AM   #59
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by masque View Post
And yes there is a gigantic difference staying at the Bellagio in Vegas than staying a super 8 hotel. But there is room and reason for both to be here and survive.
Not a bad analogy but I was thinking that what's happening with campgrounds is more like the big box stores vs. the smaller locally owned mom and pop shops.

Sure there are a few of the smaller places still around and there are people that prefer to spend their money in them vs. the big box stores but they are getting fewer and fewer as time goes on.

And even if the owners don't want to sell they start to get older and their kids/family just aren't interested in running the business, so they simply have no choice.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:12 AM   #60
Trailer Park Supervisor

Interestingly, when I travel down South, corporate owned restaurant chains seem to reign supreme, particularly in heavy tourist areas. Up here, mom and pop joints far outnumber chain restaurants. Maybe it's just my perception. I don't know how things evolved this way, but I'm very thankful for the mom and pop joints and their endless variety of cuisine. You can eat out every weekend of the year around here and never eat at the same place twice.