Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #21

I'd probably do nothing. On one hand, the guy/girl may just be a total jerk and drive like that often. On the other hand, we rarely know the whole story. Could the person be rushing to a family emergency? Any number of reasons can put an ordinarily responsible driver drive in a mad rush. I know I did rushing to the hospital when I found out my son was gravely injured.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
That should have read "HERK'S" deal, not "Hero's".

And yes, Delco Bobby, I ran into a Sovereign Citizen or two in my 35+ years. And a couple Moorish citizens..... Always interesting people. More ignorant about the law than being able to use loopholes, like the DUI people hanging their paperwork out the window. But, in Maryland, you HAVE to display your driver's license upon demand by a UNIFORMED police officer. Registration upon demand by any police officer.

Now to the video. In Maryland, anyone can go to our MVA (DMV in some states) and with a tag number fill out the paperwork, pay the required fee and get the owner's name, address, make of vehicle, etc. The information received also gives a basic physical description of the owner(s). If this matches, and the person with the video can positively ID, or knows the driver, then the citizen can go to the District Court Commissioner's Office and file charges. Or, give the video to the local PD/ Sheriff's Office/State Police and, depending on where it happened (how busy the LE agency may be), maybe the local LE agency will do the investigation. I don't know about now, but a couple years ago, if it were handed to my shift, we would have run with it. I would have seen to that. If I read correctly, this person had run the light twice. Perfect opportunity to show the people who paid our wages that we do work for them. And also a great way to build rapport and trust in your community. Who knows, maybe in the future some timely tips could come in about other crimes.

Okay, I'll sit down for awhile.
I am friendly with a PG County officer he seems to have many interactions with Sovereigns, etc. Frustrating and at times humerous.

That's good info on the MD MVA. I don't think that is available in PA where this thread started.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #23
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I am friendly with a PG County officer he seems to have many interactions with Sovereigns, etc. Frustrating and at times humerous.

That's good info on the MD MVA. I don't think that is available in PA where this thread started.
D.C. area? I imagine there are a lot of Sovereigns. The ones we dealt with were usually passing through - or visiting at one of the 2 colleges in the area.

IIRC, a person can opt-out of the "let anyone see my stuff" at the MVA. It just isn't very public. Same holds for your driver's license - anyone can get a copy of that if they have the right info. Protect your Soundex and your DoB.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
He went straight through on the red at high speed.
Maybe he had to go potty or he was in a hurry to get home and have a whistle pop...

I see that stuff all the time here in Michigan, I'm immune to it so long as it don't involve me. Now if it did, that would be an entirely different story as I have zero patience with idiots.

Herk, I know you are close to my age so just forget about it. Life goes on.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:20 PM   #25

Yup, right on the border with DC.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:40 PM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Maybe he had to go potty or he was in a hurry to get home and have a whistle pop...

I see that stuff all the time here in Michigan, I'm immune to it so long as it don't involve me. Now if it did, that would be an entirely different story as I have zero patience with idiots.

Herk, I know you are close to my age so just forget about it. Life goes on.
I would, but I know if I saw in the future that a fatal wreck involved that car and I did nothing, I would feel complicit. Just me though ...

I just wish the battery in my dashcam was working when I yanked the power cord the first time to capture that car running a light like that at a different intersection 2 weeks ago. It was supposed to close the file and shut down after power was removed to save the last video recorded.

With a bad battery it scrambled that file. Lesson learned; I let it run till I got home and waited and then shut it down and pulled the chip. New battery on order (China unfortunately).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:14 AM   #27
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
I would, but I know if I saw in the future that a fatal wreck involved that car and I did nothing, I would feel complicit. Just me though ...

I just wish the battery in my dashcam was working when I yanked the power cord the first time to capture that car running a light like that at a different intersection 2 weeks ago. It was supposed to close the file and shut down after power was removed to save the last video recorded.

With a bad battery it scrambled that file. Lesson learned; I let it run till I got home and waited and then shut it down and pulled the chip. New battery on order (China unfortunately).
I hear you. I've always felt that if I didn't do something to rectify a situation, it would lead to more of the same behavior and possibly others would copy it. And there's also how I would feel if others were hurt, or killed, because of the bad behavior. Maybe that's why I spent so much time in that profession.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #28

Cam

What kind of dash cam do you have? 73s Jim
n0ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #29

Quote:
I hear you. I've always felt that if I didn't do something to rectify a situation, it would lead to more of the same behavior and possibly others would copy it. And there's also how I would feel if others were hurt, or killed, because of the bad behavior. Maybe that's why I spent so much time in that profession.
X2

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #30

Quote:
That should have read "HERK'S" deal, not "Hero's".

And yes, Delco Bobby, I ran into a Sovereign Citizen or two in my 35+ years. And a couple Moorish citizens..... Always interesting people. More ignorant about the law than being able to use loopholes, like the DUI people hanging their paperwork out the window. But, in Maryland, you HAVE to display your driver's license upon demand by a UNIFORMED police officer. Registration upon demand by any police officer.

Now to the video. In Maryland, anyone can go to our MVA (DMV in some states) and with a tag number fill out the paperwork, pay the required fee and get the owner's name, address, make of vehicle, etc. The information received also gives a basic physical description of the owner(s). If this matches, and the person with the video can positively ID, or knows the driver, then the citizen can go to the District Court Commissioner's Office and file charges. Or, give the video to the local PD/ Sheriff's Office/State Police and, depending on where it happened (how busy the LE agency may be), maybe the local LE agency will do the investigation. I don't know about now, but a couple years ago, if it were handed to my shift, we would have run with it. I would have seen to that. If I read correctly, this person had run the light twice. Perfect opportunity to show the people who paid our wages that we do work for them. And also a great way to build rapport and trust in your community. Who knows, maybe in the future some timely tips could come in about other crimes.

Okay, I'll sit down for awhile.
The issue here is that this guy is producing / displaying (within the clear plastic bag) his DL, Insurance, and Registration as required by state law. He's just being anti Law Enforcement, and looking for his 10 minutes of internet fame !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #31

Quote:
So I have a dashcam and caught this bad actor acting badly.

Would you send it to the cops or just pray he (or she) only kills him (or her) self?
In Philadelphia, much like Northern NJ and NYC - Anything goes.

I had a guy cut me off this weekend merging from the left lane to the exit ramp that he HAD to get to. Missed clipping the front of my truck by about 2 inches. I was cruising at about 67 MPH with the camper on the back so slamming the breaks was not an option. Changed my underwear at the next rest stop.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:53 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantyszka View Post

I had a guy cut me off this weekend merging from the left lane to the exit ramp that he HAD to get to. Missed clipping the front of my truck by about 2 inches. I was cruising at about 67 MPH with the camper on the back so slamming the breaks was not an option. Changed my underwear at the next rest stop.
Perhaps same fool who had to squeeze between me and the guardrail exiting PA Turnpike at I476 last Sunday. Then got in long line at the cash toll while I sailed through the EZ Pass express lane.

I worked in West Philly most of my life. There was a period when red lights meant nothing. These guys would sail. through without looking or slowing. Had to be on purpose. Eventually the law of natural selection culled the herd.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantyszka View Post

If I got concerned about that kind of road idiot, I would have to had stock in Fruit of the Loom....

You see I drove over the road fpr 40 years hauling a reefer and then a flat bed and always with long nose conventional tractors. Countless times, idiots in cars cut in front of me and disappeared from view because looking over the hood, I could not see anything closer than 10 feet in front of me.... Western Star extended hood conventionals has long flat hoods....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Perhaps same fool who had to squeeze between me and the guardrail exiting PA Turnpike at I476 last Sunday. Then got in long line at the cash toll while I sailed through the EZ Pass express lane.

I worked in West Philly most of my life. There was a period when red lights meant nothing. These guys would sail. through without looking or slowing. Had to be on purpose. Eventually the law of natural selection culled the herd.
I don't know what it is, but for those of us who actually pay attention and try to be really careful it is very scary. I like to think I am a good driver, I have a clean record - never caused an accident - never been pulled over for speeding. When I have the TT on the truck I ratchet up the awareness and safety because that much more is on the line. I can't believe some of the things I see people do on a daily basis. No respect for the safety of others, even less respect for their own safety. All in the name of getting there 2 minutes faster? Nah....not for me.
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #35
Who Dares, Wins

In PA a citation may be filed on "information received" it is done all the time with road rage stuff. You would need to be present for the hearing. Now if you could give a general description of the driver they can maybe be tracked and identified and cited. Or I can cite the owner of the vehicle for "permitting violation of the tittle" because they allowed their car to be driven by someone who is breaking the law (think red light cameras and toll violations). The state police can file in any jurisdiction. Otherwise it will need to be filed by the presiding authority over the area. If it didn't happen in your town, your local PD can not and will not be able to do anything about it.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #36

We have a community within St. Louis that requires watching for the second car running the red light PLUS one more.

I have feelings for those that may suffer from these people and have no desire to let those offenders to continue that way. I will skip a meal to give my statement to the authorities and never feel bad about it...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:41 PM   #37

We witnessed a bad driver today in an old lady type car...thought it's an old blue hair. Caught up and passed...wrong. It was a punk girl monkeying with her cell phone. She was all over the road. I think cell phones are more dangerous than an intoxicated person...not drunk, but intoxicated.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #38

What would I do?
I know what I'd like to do but it is not suitable for print.
There are a lot of "special" people on the roads these days. And based on their mentally unbalanced display of driving skills, I can only assume they rode the "special" short bus to school. At least driving school.
Face it. This new generation of punks on the road (millennials) do not even have the cognitive to skills to drive a car. At first I was set back a bit by these "self driving" cars. But at least they (the computers) are smart enough to stop at red lights (most of the time). If the little snowflake wants to sit in the back and play Candy Crusher then at least he is not trying to do that AND drive at the same time.
Bottom line. It's tough to see red lights with all those participation trophies on the dashboard.
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #39
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
We witnessed a bad driver today in an old lady type car...thought it's an old blue hair. Caught up and passed...wrong. It was a punk girl monkeying with her cell phone. She was all over the road. I think cell phones are more dangerous than an intoxicated person...not drunk, but intoxicated.
We have a joke... Anyone not over the age of 70 driving a Buick should be PC (probable cause) or Reasonable suspicion in its self to pull them over. 90% of the time they are suspended... Wanted.. Have drugs or are all of the above.. But that is just my finding over 13 years of this.. LOL Would that be profiling?

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Down View Post
What would I do?
I know what I'd like to do but it is not suitable for print.
There are a lot of "special" people on the roads these days. And based on their mentally unbalanced display of driving skills, I can only assume they rode the "special" short bus to school. At least driving school.
Face it. This new generation of punks on the road (millennials) do not even have the cognitive to skills to drive a car. At first I was set back a bit by these "self driving" cars. But at least they (the computers) are smart enough to stop at red lights (most of the time). If the little snowflake wants to sit in the back and play Candy Crusher then at least he is not trying to do that AND drive at the same time.
Bottom line. It's tough to see red lights with all those participation trophies on the dashboard.
RMc
I think this may be because many places do not teach driver training in school anymore. They use learner permit system so kids are taught to drive by parents who are already terrible drivers.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote