Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #1

What would you do?

Just wondering what others would do if found in a similar situation (which Im sure we all have).

Currently camping in a scenic location, neighbors are 5-10 feet away. Location allows generators 7am-9pm. 5 feet behind me in a diesel pusher with their generator mounted in the front compartment fires up the generator at 7am and runs it until 10PM (1 hour past the allowed time) ALL DAY. Oh he also has a Honda 2000 generator hooked up as well running.

Is anyone else bothered of find it inconsiderate to run ones generator all day like this? Because you can run your generator should you?

Wondering what others have experienced..
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:48 AM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

Are there any other sites available?
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1651
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:49 AM   #3

When we were at the Albuquerque Balloon Festival, we had two trailers backed up to us who ran their very noisy generators all day until the quiet period at night. Of course they had small children and a baby that we could see that they were trying to keep cool (It was hot every day). So we tried to ignore it and spend time away from camp.
We don't run the generator in our rig unless absolutely necessary. Of course, we're former tent campers so even electricity is a luxury.
We try not to judge those who run generators non stop. They could be working from the rv, have someone with a medical condition that needs to keep cool, or just be glamping.
We have been known to pick up and move if our neighbors are too annoying.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #4

Like a Forest Service Police Officer told me last week, "there will always be THAT GUY".

A frendly reminder of what the rules are might work. If the guy's a jerk, contact whoever manages the campground.

People like that (if jerks) think rules are for other people snd as long as they get away with it will continue. When called on it by someone in authority they might think differently. However most bank on the fact that nobody will "turn them in".

FWIW, that is why there are Camp Hosts, Rangers, FS Police, etc. To deal with jerks.

To add, running the generator all day is common if a/c or battery charging is required. I'd be OK with A/C but you'd think someone with a big DP could afford batteries that charge faster than cheap golf cart batteries.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:56 AM   #5

Were not moving, no spots anyway. Temps are 70's not hot. Its just more of a question.
See what others thought or experienced. We RV alot and run into a lot of different situations. Never had anyone run a generator (2 of em) 14 hours a day.

Medical conditions did cross our minds, no kids it's more of a glamping situation running all their TVs, appliances and lights from what we can tell through the windows.

We seldom run our generator although we do have solar.

Thanks for the toughts
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #6
CGK
Camping with Labs

I guess the first thing that came to my mind while reading your post was why you would find a location attractive when it is that close to others. Condo camping was never my thing, but to each his - or her - own. We regularly stay in full-hookup private campgrounds, so the situation you described has never happened to us; but those folks certainly appear to be self-centered and rude if I am reading your posts correctly. You might suggest to whomever is in charge that the campground might want to reconsider the rules, since some will push those even beyond their intended limits. What you do after that is strictly your business, but if it was me I'd be on my way to the next stop. You could reasonably expect to find more space and better neighbors there, since the bar has been set so low in the current location. Good luck, and happy camping!
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo44 View Post
Just wondering what others would do if found in a similar situation (which Im sure we all have).

Currently camping in a scenic location, neighbors are 5-10 feet away. Location allows generators 7am-9pm. 5 feet behind me in a diesel pusher with their generator mounted in the front compartment fires up the generator at 7am and runs it until 10PM (1 hour past the allowed time) ALL DAY. Oh he also has a Honda 2000 generator hooked up as well running.

Is anyone else bothered of find it inconsiderate to run ones generator all day like this? Because you can run your generator should you?

Wondering what others have experienced..
Damn right I would be bothered by it and I would move. They are allowed to run their generators, except for the last hour. So you can't make them stop. You'd just be creating problems.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #8

Most campsites we go to in our area have restricted hours, usually two hours in the AM and two in the PM which is more than enough and in my opinion fair. Having said that any campsites that allow generators all day I try to avoid.

I very definitely would ask the camp host to talk to the 10 o'clock offender or knock on offenders door and politely ask them to conform to the rules.

I personally could not run a generator all day like some do just because I think of others and when I do run a generator I try to keep it to the minimum.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:26 PM   #9

Just thought of a situation we ran into at Death Valley. We had a tent camped beside us and a trailer pulled in beside the tent, the trailer guy sets his generator on the backside of his trailer and right in the face of the tent but still on his site. The family tenting would not ask the fellow to move his generator so I did, I know, non of my business but I was ticked and I did ask him politely. Trailer guy not impressed and it was plain his rude attitude was just waiting to escalate so I backed off. Wasn't more than ten minutes before he came out and moved his generator in front of his door.

Suppose the moral of the story is it doesn't hurt to ask, you might be surprised at the outcome and it can not get any worse in your situation.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:01 PM   #10
PhD, Common Sense

10pm, one hour after the deadline? meh.

I would comment to the wife how inconsiderate some folks are then have a beer. I would say something to the scofflaw only if the noise went late enough and loud enough to disturb Mrs. eye’s or my sleep. I would say something to the CG personnel only after having asked the neighbor to turn off the genny and he refused.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #11

If the RVs are packed in like sardines, you gotta put up with it. Inconsiderate people are the norm these days. Finding a different campground with some space is your best option.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #12

Convince the guy with the generator that one pound of sugar added to the fuel takes the place of the expensive oil that keeps it running......
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
Convince the guy with the generator that one pound of sugar added to the fuel takes the place of the expensive oil that keeps it running......

NO, even as a joke do not do this..... and Villagerjim please do not suggest such in open forums.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:18 PM   #14

We were camped at Gulf State park last fall and some folks came in a few spots away with a fairly small rig, small truck pulling it. Three nights in a row they had this obnoxious rap stuff "music" playing loud enough to hear two or three streets over. One night about 10:30 I went over to ask him to please tone it down a bit, that it was well into quiet time. I fully expected some sort of belligerent attitude but just wanted to speak my piece.
Low and behold, the guy apologized profusely, said he was sorry and that it wouldn't happen again. You just never know! Could have been their first camping trip for all I know. They were young.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:10 PM   #15

Generators are our nemesis - we have a Honda EU2000 and if we need to use it we do so as sparingly as possible and try to aim the exhaust away from other campers (sound is directional). Some of our "neighbor generator" experiences include - a pop in the next site with a cheap (spelled loud) generator running about 4 hours a day so someone can watch their soap operas, a big DP parked across from us with a portable generator drug behind the coach pointing at our campsite so the DP family can watch cartoons without the annoying sound of the genny and probably one of the best was a couple guys camping in a tent several sites away running a contractor style generator to keep their electric ice chest cold. Ahhhhh, the great outdoors!
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
10pm, one hour after the deadline? meh.

I would comment to the wife how inconsiderate some folks are then have a beer. I would say something to the scofflaw only if the noise went late enough and loud enough to disturb Mrs. eye’s or my sleep. I would say something to the CG personnel only after having asked the neighbor to turn off the genny and he refused.

X2 - Only thing I might do different would be have two beers....

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:37 PM   #17
Good Ole Dad

I would Determine what Really Bothers Me . Is it the All Day or after 10p/m. If it's the first (I am Probably being a Karen) If it's the Latter and I need to Sleep, I would have a Conversation with The Campers. I have found there More Friendly Campers than Bad ones.
Hensley Arrow.
2021 262RL StarCraft.
G.O.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:05 AM   #18

That guy need a visit from a high pressure battery salesman. Unless the AC is "necessary" all day that person has battery problems.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:23 AM   #19
RV There Yet?

the campground rules were clear in allowing for generators to be run all day. you knew this when making reservations. if this sort of thing bothers you then that is a YOU problem, not a THEM problem. they are following the rules (for the most part). if the hour after quiet hours bothers you then you can get involved, otherwise try to enjoy your time.

if this is a concern for you then you really should be looking at campgrounds that have electric hookups. this is very akin to the "I camp but hate campfire smoke and everyone should have propane fires or NO fires" discussion that was on here a while ago.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I tend to side with those saying that you knew generator hours were 7 AM to 9 PM. Sure the dude is running it an extra hour and while that is abusing the rules a bit, it certainly isn't excessive.

Now... I don't know whether you knew the next door neighbor's sites were going to be 5' away but if I did, I would have never camped there in the first place and if I didn't, I would have been moving to a different campground the minute I found out.

All day generators and 5' distance between campsites is a social disaster waiting to happen.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote