Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #1

What's worse....knowing or not knowing??

Okay, Supreme Commander says I'm impossible to buy for at Christmas. Never knows what to get me. This year she said I should just go out and buy whatever (within reason....spoilsport) I wanted.
Anyway I finally did it, got a couple of things. An Amazon Dot (just for fun) and a Dash Cam that I can use in both the car and the motorhome.

She failed to tell me until I brought them home that she now has to wrap them and put them under the tree. Arghhhh, I know what I got, I know I'm anxious to use them and now I just get it sit and stare at the packages. I am now sure I'd rather not know.

Soooo, how do others feel? Want to know what's in the packages or rather wait until the opening day???

Everyone is good at something... I happen to be a good bad example.
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
Coach

I like surprises. Sad that only my daughter seems to get that. Even the smallest gift means a lot when it's a surprise as well as something you can use.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
Site Team

My family always wants me to give them a list of things to choose from or at least go out to a few stores to point out some things.

My problem is that my list is usually so short, it's not difficult to guess what I'm getting. Usually a few DVDs or games. Maybe a book or 2. I think I may have pointed a few shirts out to one of my kids.

Although we did get few blu ray movies on black friday that we'll wrap up as family gifts, but mostly it's for my wife and me.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon View Post
Okay, Supreme Commander says I'm impossible to buy for at Christmas. Never knows what to get me. This year she said I should just go out and buy whatever (within reason....spoilsport) I wanted.

Anyway I finally did it, got a couple of things. An Amazon Dot (just for fun) and a Dash Cam that I can use in both the car and the motorhome.

She failed to tell me until I brought them home that she now has to wrap them and put them under the tree. Arghhhh, I know what I got, I know I'm anxious to use them and now I just get it sit and stare at the packages. I am now sure I'd rather not know.

Soooo, how do others feel? Want to know what's in the packages or rather wait until the opening day???

I am laughing. You are blessed to have a loving wife. Enjoy the relationship (with all of its idiosyncrasies).
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
Site Team

Drop Hints.
Share Amazon wish list

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:50 PM   #6

I do not want to know. Knowing will drive me crazy if it is something I really want. Several years ago, my DW did the same as OP wife and told me to get what I wanted and she would wrap it up and put it under the tree. I ordered a set of nice speakers for my truck. At the time, my wife worked days and I worked nights. The package came early one day and I decided to install the new speakers and put the factory ones in the box and close it back up, she would be none the wiser. This was a great plan until my then 4-year old daughter told DW "daddy put the new speakers in his truck". Busted! So now DW and DD will get me something and put it under the tree.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Drop Hints.
Share Amazon wish list
This^^^^ always keep one going when looking at new things.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:27 PM   #8

Bought my wife a Lincoln welder for her birthday.
For Christmas she is getting a table saw.
Mslaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:22 AM   #9

I'm usually with my wife to show her what to buy me for Christmas. However at my age, by the time Christmas rolls around I don't remember what we bought so it's always a surprise anyway. Win win situation.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:14 AM   #10
Wait till next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Drop Hints.
Share Amazon wish list
Reminds me when we were kids circling stuff in Sears Christmas catalog
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:48 AM   #11

DW and i have the perfect solution for this.

we don't do Christmas
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:50 AM   #12
tjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrobert View Post
I do not want to know. Knowing will drive me crazy if it is something I really want. Several years ago, my DW did the same as OP wife and told me to get what I wanted and she would wrap it up and put it under the tree. I ordered a set of nice speakers for my truck. At the time, my wife worked days and I worked nights. The package came early one day and I decided to install the new speakers and put the factory ones in the box and close it back up, she would be none the wiser. This was a great plan until my then 4-year old daughter told DW "daddy put the new speakers in his truck". Busted! So now DW and DD will get me something and put it under the tree.

Lol now thats funny. From the mouth of babes..

Cheers
tjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:18 AM   #13

Last Christmas we asked Santa for a cabin with some acres with it. Well, it took him a little while, but in September....HE DELIVERED !! We head down whenever the weekends allow and we're planning this weekend down there....if I can DIG IT OUT of 10" of snow. Haven't had time to get a good tractor yet to move snow. Maybe I'll ask Santa for one of those.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #14

For the most part my wife and I buy stuff throughout the year when we see something that we want. We make a list of those things and give special thanks for the ability to afford to live the way we want at Christmas time. We worked hard for what we have and we are making the most of it. Why wait until Christmas to enjoy the items.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:58 AM   #15
Site Team

Our whole family is impossible to buy for. But I think I have the BIL covered. I'm getting him an anvil!

The DW will tell me a few things she wants and I'll usually get most of them along with something she hasn't asked for.

As for me, I don't mind knowing. I'd rather get something I picked out or even bought than to come up with socks or underwear! Besides I know exactly what tools or accessories I need and the brand or model I use. Now I certainly don't mind getting a small something that I don't know about.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #16
Arvee Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I'm usually with my wife to show her what to buy me for Christmas. However at my age, by the time Christmas rolls around I don't remember what we bought so it's always a surprise anyway. Win win situation.
My problem is that after hiding the gifts from the DW, I forget where they are hidden!
Old 11-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #17

We do not buy for each other anymore. After being married for 50 years and being in our late 60's there is mot much we need anymore. She is always trying to declutter our home of stuff. If we need something we just buy it now and enjoy from the time we purchase that item. An how many screw driver sets, ectara do I need.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:06 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
And how many screw driver sets, etc. do I need.
You can never, I repeat, NEVER have too many screwdrivers!
Old 11-28-2018, 12:20 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
You can never, I repeat, NEVER have too many screwdrivers!
I disagree. I have a drawer full of screwdrivers and inevitably, whichever kind I need (phillips or flathead) I always manage to pull out 5 or 6 of the opposite kind first.

Then I always ask myself, why do I have so many screwdrivers?!?
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Bought my wife a Lincoln welder for her birthday.
For Christmas she is getting a table saw.
that is the best idea yet!

I like the new ad on TV where the guy surprises the wife with a new SUV and he gets the new Pickup truck, and she runs over to the pickup and says she LUVS it!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote