Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Question What's your story?

After reading a few, not so funny 1st trip threads, I thought it might be fun to start a thread where we could tell our funny 1st trip stories. My aunt who helped guide us in our RV search and is a 40 year RV veteran, couldn’t wait for us to get back and tell what happened on our 1st trip. She went on to tell us everyone does something funny on their 1st trip and only the insecure won’t talk about it. LOL

So in an effort to make my aunt proud…Here is my story:

It’s New Year’s Day and we are pulling the new 5er home from Tucson for the first time. We decide to stop in Casa Grande so Dione could get some lunch. I had had oral surgery the week before and was on a soft food diet. There was nothing on the menu I could eat so I drank about 2 pots of coffee. Like a 3 year old I neglected to use the restroom before departing.

So 45 minutes later we arrive at the storage yard to drop the trailer. I of course need to pee very very badly. There are no facilities on the lot and video cameras every 10 feet so going “behind a bush” was out of the question. Also I certainly didn’t want to end up on America’s Home Videos trying to explain “It was cold that day!”

So I attempt my 1st ever back in with a 5er. I was straight in but sadly a little too far to 1 side. So I pull out to re-align and back in … which I did … to the exact same spot. OK I am dangerously close to making a puddle in my seat so I am chastising myself to get it right this time. Low and behold … I did get it right on that 3rd try.

Now it’s time to unhitch. I lower the landing gear and all is looking good. I have a 4x4 dually, so my hitch is low in the bed, which requires me to step on the tire in order to reach the hitch pin. This is not an easy task when your bladder is about to explode. The pin won’t release. I am prancing around, trying to think, but unable to because of my need to pee. It dawns on me…I need to back the truck up a little to take the pressure off the pin. I back the truck up and as I start to walk back to the back of the truck I notice something…there’s a trailer back there. In the trailer is a bathroom that I just hauled 100 miles… DUH!!

My DW, bless her soul, proceeds to tell me “Oh I didn’t know we could use the bathroom if we weren’t hooked up to water or I would have mentioned it.”

There were more funny stories from our 1st trip but this one to me was the winner.

So now that I have proven I am not the brightest bulb on the string…

What’s your story?

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

And we're following you to Goshen?

I have a story but i'll have to type it out later......

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Graduate Member

LOL - great story. I'm sitting here thinking...sheesh - just hop on board! But I too recall having to "figure out" whether the toilet works "dry".

Ok - so our first time story is actually our second trip. Our trips are mostly driveway camping at grandma's - so this is the first one where we are actually having to use everything.

Night one we camp in grandma's driveway. It's cold enough we have to turn on the heater. It works!

Night two we move and camp in great-grandma's driveway. It is still our worst single night experience in a camper - which would really piss me off if it wasn't so funny.

It's our anniversary, so we're heading out for a rare date night, with both boys sleeping in grandma's house. We are showering and getting ready when I hear "the shower's broke".

(edit - this is our second trip, so also our second or third showers)

It's not draining, and there's 2 inches of standing water. And we have anniversary plans.

I plunge. I cuss. I draino. I plunge. I cuss. I drain the grey tank. I plunge. I drain the black tank. I cuss. I plunge. I say screw it and we leave the standing water to go on our date night.

We return several hours later - water is still there. We decide to try again in the morning.

Turn the furnace on (no space heaters yet) and go to bed.

Wake up middle of the night. Shivering. Turn temp up. Nothing. Switch furnace off and on - turns right on - go to sleep.

Wake up again - freezing. Flip off/on. Furnace kicks in for 5 min and shuts off. Takes me 3-4 more times of trying various solutions before I remember that I had shut off the LP gas just like the walk-thru said, but I had never reopened it for that night. So at 4am in the cold, I'm walking outside turning on my LP.

Next morning I hear from grandpa that they never turned off the LP in their TT.

About 20 minutes later my father-in-law discovers the pull handle for the SECOND grey tank - the shower.

It seems like there was a couple other moments of "I can't believe no-one told us about this", but I'll have to ask my better half if she remembers.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
And we're following you to Goshen?

Turbs
That could end up being another funny story huh??????

Old 01-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post

I plunge. I cuss. I draino. I plunge. I cuss. I drain the grey tank. I plunge. I drain the black tank. I cuss. I plunge. I say screw it and we leave the standing water to go on our date night.

About 20 minutes later my father-in-law discovers the pull handle for the SECOND grey tank - the shower.

It seems like there was a couple other moments of "I can't believe no-one told us about this", but I'll have to ask my better half if she remembers.
That was our "runner-up" story... I ended up with 20 gallons of dish water on my feet when I pulled the cap. No idea we had 2 gray tanks either.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnD View Post

That could end up being another funny story huh??????

You know............
Its been known that a funny story always seems to happen when im around ........

Like the time "2 years ago" we pushed a couch better than 3 miles down a gravel road with golf carts to our camp site.....
A dead cat was involved.
A sermon was attempted.
Alcohol was involved.
I witnessed a golf cart in the air so high I could read the vin number on the bottom frame.

All in the same 2 hours

Turbs
Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
You know............
Its been known that a funny story always seems to happen when im around ........

Like the time "2 years ago" we pushed a couch better than 3 miles down a gravel road with golf carts to our camp site.....
A dead cat was involved.
A sermon was attempted.
Alcohol was involved.
I witnessed a golf cart in the air so high I could read the vin number on the bottom frame.

All in the same 2 hours

Turbs
That is somewhat disturbing, if it was from anyone else I would be worried LMAO

Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

That is somewhat disturbing, if it was from anyone else I would be worried LMAO
Did I mention the dw wasn't around for most of it?
She keeps me grounded otherwise.
And your in luck I think she's coming along............ I think.

Turbs
Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Did I mention the dw wasn't around for most of it?
She keeps me grounded otherwise.
And your in luck I think she's coming along............ I think.

Turbs
No you didn't.

However you did include the one common denominator that always seems to accompany stories like yours ..... Alcohol was involved

Old 01-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
No you didn't.

However you did include the one common denominator that always seems to accompany stories like yours ..... Alcohol was involved
As the sign above my bar states ... "Alcohol, because no good story ever came from eating salad".
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
As the sign above my bar states ... "Alcohol, because no good story ever came from eating salad".
That's fantastic!!

I need to get that one and place it right next to my "Free Beer Tomorrow" sign.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
Now THAT is hilarious!! I'm going to have to borrow that one.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #13

Many years ago before we made the first trip in our pup I was so weight anal I actually brought out the bathroom scale and weighed everything DW wanted to put into the pup just to make sure we wouldn't go over. We were well within the limits and we laugh about it now.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #14

When we had our pop up I laid the cordless on the top and cranked the pop up and lost the drill for about. 15 minutes , till DW ask what I had done with it last ? And she could see a lil bit of the handles on top
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsfloyd View Post
When we had our pop up I laid the cordless on the top and cranked the pop up and lost the drill for about. 15 minutes , till DW ask what I had done with it last ? And she could see a lil bit of the handles on top
AWESOME!
been there done that!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #16

While this didn’t occur on our first trip, we were brand new to the world of fifth wheels and commercial campgrounds when the following event happened. I posted this story years ago on another forum and folks seemed to enjoy reading it so I’ll post it again on this forum.

My most embarrassing moment occurred in 2004 on a trip to Yellowstone NP. This was the first full camping season that we owned an RV and the new 2004 Wildcat was our pride and joy. This particular event happened at a commercial RV park in MO on the first night of our trip.

About 9:30 that evening the call of Mother Nature beckoned me. Back then I didn’t like doing number 2 in the trailer, preferring instead to use the campground’s “real” flush toilets. I just didn’t trust that plastic toilet with a flat bottom and a valve in the bottom that opened and closed.

The campground had very little nighttime lighting so the walk to the men’s room was in almost total darkness. As soon as I opened the door to the restroom the lights inside came on. Cool I thought, the lights are on a motion sensor. That seemed like a smart way for a campground to save on their electric bill.

I was the only one in the restroom and as I sat there on the throne doing my “business,” the lights suddenly went out. This restroom didn’t have any windows so there I sat in complete and total darkness. I literally couldn’t see my hand in front of my face. I began to wave my arms over my head in the hope that the motion sensor would turn the lights back on. Nope, I was still in the dark.

I reached forward and fumbled for the latch on the stall door and unlocked it. I then started swinging the door back and forth hoping the light would come back on. Unfortunately the door swung inward and apparently wasn’t being detected by the motion sensor. I was still sitting that little stall feeling like I was in the “black hole of Calcutta.”

I thought about throwing a roll of toilet paper up in the air but the paper was in one of those big round gray colored plastic enclosures where the toilet paper feeds out of the bottom. I could never figure out how they could get the toilet paper in those things so I knew I would never be able to get a roll out in total darkness.

I was getting a little aggravated sitting on the throne in the dark so I figured what the heck, I stood up, and with my pants around my ankles, I did a little two foot shuffle out of the stall. Facing the bathrooms entrance, I started waving my arms frantically in the air and in my frustration started yelling “COME ON, COME ON!” I had all my body parts shaking, jiggling, and waving every which way trying to get the lights back on.

At that exact moment in time, an old man suddenly opened the door and instantly the lights came on fully illuminating me in all my glory. I stopped my frantic movements immediately and let out shriek like a banshee. The old man only got one leg inside the door when he saw me and he let out a whoop that resembled a scream, a screech, and a yelp all in one. He was old but he was still plenty spry. As soon as his foot contacted the floor it was as if he had stepped on a coiled spring. He literally flew up and backwards out the door.

With the lights back on I quickly shuffled back into the stall and finished up my “business.” I was so embarrassed I actually ran back to the fifth wheel hoping that I wouldn’t see that old man again. I didn’t, thank goodness.

I’m have never used a campground restroom after that incident and I’d be willing to bet that the old man has never used a campground bathroom again either. I’m sure he still tells other RV’ers of the harrowing night he opened a restroom door and stumbled onto a half-naked pervert dancing in the dark in the bathroom.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Very good story oakman. !
It was worth sharing!

Turbs
Old 01-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I’m have never used a campground restroom after that incident and I’d be willing to bet that the old man has never used a campground bathroom again either. I’m sure he still tells other RV’ers of the harrowing night he opened a restroom door and stumbled onto a half-naked pervert dancing in the dark in the bathroom.
Oakman, you need to go on the Campground Comedy Circuit Tour with this story. I've listened to many stand-up comedians who weren't nearly as funny in their routines.

I can just picture that old man tearing out of the campground late that night, with his awning still out, steps down, and his water hose still attached.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Ok, my wife likes to tell this story. Years ago, her and I were camping alone, without kids, one weekend. My brother and his wife stopped by the campground and had a few cocktails. Well all the beer was gone and the only thing left to drink in the camper was strawberry daquiri mix and a bottle of Bacardi 151. We proceeded to kill the bottle and under the influence, we finally went to bed. After an hour of so the bed and ceiling started rotating in opposite directions and it wasn't looking good. I made my way to the bathroom, bouncing from wall to wall. Once in the bathroom, all that daquiri mix and 151, started to expel from my body with some force. Now everyone knows the old plastic bathroom stools were shallow, which seemed to just direct all the contents of which I was filling it with everywhere. Realizing this, I changed direction and pointed towards the tub. Much better. I somewhat composed myself and went back to bed. My wife gets up to use the bathroom, opens the door and screams thinking someone was just murdered. I haven't touched a daquiri since!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Lmfao! Good one ttrost!

I sat on the toilet once and pee'd in the tub......
In our cuzin Eddie camper!
That night I was full!

Turbs