Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #1

Wheel bearings

I just received the new Trailer Life magazine today and there is an article in it about getting ready for spring. It says you should repack your wheel bearings each year even if the trailer was only used a few times the previous year. How many of you actually do re pack them every year, and if so, I'm interessted in doing it myself. Does anyone have a step by step guide to do it?
Thanks,
Erik
eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #2

guilty
i have only one time taken mine apart
i do grease em before each trip for good measure. i lift the wheels off the ground and turn em and listen for bad signs and adjust the breaks if needed, check for wobble, etc.

IMO i think the every year breaking them down is asking for unneeded maintenance, my rig is very well maintained other than tearing apart wheel bearings and seals.
i have towed heavy boats and trailers all over this great land for many years and never removed em to repack, i always used the nipple and forced out the old grease. only tore em apart if the seals failed, and this was surprisingly very few times for the boat trailer which got dunked in saltwater ALOT

I am sure i will catch some flack,

my engineering back ground prevents me from "inspecting, taking something apart" something until it breaks. the odds of putting it back together wrong and loosing a wheel are pretty good, unless you do it all yourself and have the skills. I trust zero mechanics unless i watch, sorry but most technicians aren't paid enough to CARE, or they get in a hurry...

the AL-KO axle site states to remove and inspect em every year so i would if i were you, ( the lawyer answer)
Old 02-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
I can only saw that I had to have my front axle replaced due to bearing failure. The dealership did a warranty repair thinking it was AL-KO that over tighten the hub nut. I got my trailer in April of 08. It failed Sept 08. It appeared that the back seal went bad.

I would do it or have the dealership do it as part of season get ready. I would at least check the back seals for leakage and placement while doing what Robert said to do.

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #4

Here you go, Erik.

Click on Bryan and Dave's Greasy Adventure .

Trailer Maintenance

Camper trailer wheel brg. service

DIY

Video on how to repack wheel bearings

This video is a bit clearer

Instect your brakes too
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings