Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2018, 08:11 AM   #1

Wheel Temps

Looking for some guidance.
What is considered too hot for TT wheels with electric drum brakes while towing?
We are traveling cross country towing our 19fbs Geopro. After 1300 miles, all seems o.k.. Several times while stopping for fuel I'll feel the TT wheel drums. I'm able to keep my skin in contact with them without getting burned, but they do feel hot.
I'm also noticing some grey dust collecting on the rims which I assume is brake dust.
We're traveling between 300-350 miles daily at mostly 65 nph
Does this all seem normal?
We're single axle 15" on a torsionflex axle with electric brakes. There its a decal on the axle that says self adjusting brakes
lamokadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:17 AM   #2

stop at a nearby Harbor Freight and get a digital laser thermometer...

use it to "shoot" the different parts of the wheel to get an accurate temp reading and compare wheel temps side to side... should be nearly identical but sunny side even hotter by 10-15 degrees

remember, you JUST used your brakes to STOP so they are a little hotter then running temp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	laser.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	175968  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:21 AM   #3

+1 for the digital thermometer. It also allows you to check the bearing and brake drum temperatures. It will indicate an overly tight bearing or a dragging brake before there is any other indication.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #4

Wheel Temps

Actually picked one of the laser ones at tractor supply for like $10 in the on sale bin.

Inexpensive for the peace of mind.

Not sure on the “norms”
Old 06-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #5

Regardless of using my hands or a gauge, at what temp do we suspect a dragging brake or other problem?
Old 06-15-2018, 04:27 PM   #6

I don't think anyone KNOWS the danger temp...
a lot depends on outside ambient temps, sun on the wheel, amount of braking done recently

what most do is to compare temps left wheel to right wheel
looking for a temp that is hotter then the last time you took it...

this has worked for me long before there were $10 temp probes...

after a few hundred miles and several temps taken, you will see a constancy pattern

one wheel much hotter always then the other... then maybe you have a problem to look into

if it is smoking then it is too hot...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamokadave View Post
Regardless of using my hands or a gauge, at what temp do we suspect a dragging brake or other problem?
if you can't touch it it's too hot somethings wrong
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
if you can't touch it it's too hot somethings wrong
I can tell you that after a hard stop you won't be able to touch it and that's completely normal.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #9

That's practical info. Thanks. Mine both feel similar, dust build up abt the same
Old 06-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I can tell you that after a hard stop you won't be able to touch it and that's completely normal.

under normal conditions you can touch the drums and they'll be quite cool . if you just had a hard stop as you say then you should have the since to know you just locked em up and the drums will be hotter doh ! sorry but that was a dumb comment you posted
Old 06-15-2018, 07:53 PM   #11

Quote:
under normal conditions you can touch the drums and they'll be quite cool . if you just had a hard stop as you say then you should have the since to know you just locked em up and the drums will be hotter doh ! sorry but that was a dumb comment you posted
Locked up? Hopefully your drums aren't locking up. If they are, you have bigger issues.

You stated they should never feel hot to the touch. I just responded to THAT statement. Sorry but my crystal ball isn't working to read your mind.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
stop at a nearby Harbor Freight and get a digital laser thermometer...

use it to "shoot" the different parts of the wheel to get an accurate temp reading and compare wheel temps side to side... should be nearly identical but sunny side even hotter by 10-15 degrees

remember, you JUST used your brakes to STOP so they are a little hotter then running temp
They just put it on a Super Coupon - $14.99 through 6/17

Harbor Freight Tools <-Click me

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HF-TempLaser.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	176057  

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Locked up? Hopefully your drums aren't locking up. If they are, you have bigger issues.

You stated they should never feel hot to the touch. I just responded to THAT statement. Sorry but my crystal ball isn't working to read your mind.

You stated they should never feel hot to the touch.
I never said anything like that so maybe you should take your time to read whats posted before you form a answer. i said if there too hot to touch somethings wrong . now if people don't have enough common since to know that after coming down a 8 mile 6% grade the drums will be hot , then no forum will help them . under normal highway conditions and coming to a normal stop to get fuel they should not be so hot you can't touch them only warm to very warm . I'm sure you have enough common since to know this
Old 06-15-2018, 09:41 PM   #14

Quote:
i said if there too hot to touch somethings wrong .
Yep...I responded to this statement.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:37 PM   #15

In the past I'd touch a lug nut. If I could hold my finger on it I was happy. Then I started using a non-contact thermometer and could get an instant digital reading. I always stop about 50 miles into a trip for the first bearing/tire check. And I stop about 50 miles later for another check. If both times the readings are under 100° I don't plan any more regular stops, but do check them at any rest area or gas stop.

If the readings are between 100 and 200°F I'll check every hundred miles or so. Temps can easily get this high during hot summer months in traffic with a lot of braking or during downhill compression braking with surge brakes. If your hubs don't ever get hot, your brakes aren't working. I've seen 300° on a drum brake that ran thousands of miles without attention after it was 'unadjusted'.

When any check shows a hub temp over 250F it's time to be concerned (like in the dragging 300° brake above) but if you've done a yearly bearing re-pack, it's usually a dragging brake.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Yep...I responded to this statement.

well maybe you don't
Old 06-16-2018, 09:55 PM   #17

Best thing to do is to measure them all. If one is much hotter than the other, you know that particular one may have an issue.

Tags
wheel