Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2019, 01:01 PM   #41

We purchased a 19 year old 5er 3 years ago and LOVE it!! The guy who owned it before us took very good care of it and added lots of accessories. We paid cash for it. We are loving our camping lifestyle debt free. There is something to be said for all the new cool luxuries on new rigs but we like to keep the camp in camping.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:44 PM   #42
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I guess I look at replacing the R/V like anything else in life...

As long as it still checks all the boxes as to what it takes to go R/Ving (or anything in life)
time/effort/money/satisfaction/enjoyment, then there is no reason to make a change.

Once enough of those boxes are no longer checked... time to move on.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=88
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #43

Well they say you should by the third one first. After six camping seasons I am pulling the trigger for number 3. when I bought the first, I could not figure out how to pay for the second, yet what I have always wanted was the third. so, now I am getting older, friend seem to be dying too often, and number two still is worth enough to make a good down payment on number 3, which I hope to hold onto until it loses 2/3 or more of its value. Number two is almost perfect now. I hope number 3 will be trouble free.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:44 PM   #44

When do you decide to replace your RV...

We had an older dog and the girls were also growing up bought out 1st tt new the dealer didn’t weigh the tongue of the used one we were going to buy. So we ended up new, 8 months later Hershey. Fell in love with a 5 th without a pickup truck. We found a gorgeous F250 king ranch diesel. Traded them both in for our Berkshire. Opposing slides 4, 2 sets bath and a half stack W/D. Of course a being from Omaha I knew exactly who and what Berkshire Hathaway is. Her name is Buffy
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:53 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
Interesting viewpoints.

I'm in the dward 51 camp. If what I own is paid for, and suits my needs I'm keeping it, until the repair costs don't make sense anymore.

Plus, I've always admired older vehicles, etc. that are in nice shape for their age.

New is nice, but payments are not.....

Then, again, DW and I are newbies that haven't ventured out much. But...she recently retired, and I'll be retiring in 288 more days. Can't wait! After that, we'll be hitting the road more. Then, we'll get to decide what we really need.

As of now, we love our little camper. Just what we need and not much more.

Rich

But Rich.....you've put so much hard work, money & sweat into refurbishing the one you have. It came out great & should give you many years of trouble free use for its' age.

Anyone who does not know about Rich's restoration can find it in his thread about his project (warning....heavy reading & lots of pics but, worth it).

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...vy-125403.html

Quote:
Do most folks that buy a new unit trade in, or sell (on their own), the old unit? I’m guessing trade in for simplicity’s sake...

Rich

In your case Rich, finding someone who appreciates the workmanship you put into your Wildwood & is willing to pay you for it would be the way to go. Sort of like selling an old classic car that's in great shape to someone who's looking for such a car. You might find someone like minded for the Wildwood. The dealer trade wouldn't be worth anything because of the age regardless of condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I guess I look at replacing the R/V like anything else in life...

As long as it still checks all the boxes as to what it takes to go R/Ving (or anything in life)
time/effort/money/satisfaction/enjoyment, then there is no reason to make a change.

Once enough of those boxes are no longer checked... time to move on.

X2. Once you find you need/require a few more modern "amenities" in the RV, and DW decides that the longer trips require more creature comforts then happy wife, happy life. Get the one she loves.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:10 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyLori View Post
We purchased a 19 year old 5er 3 years ago and LOVE it!! The guy who owned it before us took very good care of it and added lots of accessories. We paid cash for it. We are loving our camping lifestyle debt free. There is something to be said for all the new cool luxuries on new rigs but we like to keep the camp in camping.
We're in the same situation as you...20 y.o. camper, not many frills, but we love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
But Rich.....you've put so much hard work, money & sweat into refurbishing the one you have. It came out great & should give you many years of trouble free use for its' age.

Anyone who does not know about Rich's restoration can find it in his thread about his project (warning....heavy reading & lots of pics but, worth it).

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...vy-125403.html

In your case Rich, finding someone who appreciates the workmanship you put into your Wildwood & is willing to pay you for it would be the way to go. Sort of like selling an old classic car that's in great shape to someone who's looking for such a car. You might find someone like minded for the Wildwood. The dealer trade wouldn't be worth anything because of the age regardless of condition.

X2. Once you find you need/require a few more modern "amenities" in the RV, and DW decides that the longer trips require more creature comforts then happy wife, happy life. Get the one she loves.
I totally agree with all your points on trading in vs. selling outright. In most cases, selling it yourself will get the most money.

But...selling stuff is a hassle, for the most part. So, just like when it comes time for a new family vehicle, it's way more convenient to just trade it in. I'm guessing that in most cases of new RV/camper/TV purchases involve trade-in.

Yes, we love out little restomod camper, and will do as you suggested. Keep it until we decide to "live large"!......

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:53 AM   #47

For now, DW and I are content with the type of floor plan, we have. But we have always enjoyed looking at different other makes and models in the RV industry. Change is somewhat difficult for me and DW at times. So we don't plan on changing anytime soon.
So, the only reason for change would be upgrade.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:05 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
For us that would be a very hard decision. If we were happy and had no issues, there is something to be said for "paid for". I have never been one to chase the newest model of vehicle or anything else. Plus once you have spent time to deal with the inevitable issues on one unit, why start the process all over again on another one just for the sake of upgrading? Easier to maintain what you know (and cheaper too).

Of course if you are even considering an upgrade, then you apparently are not as happy with your current choice as it may at first seem?
X2
Old 10-30-2019, 07:55 AM   #49

Rich, your current camper will outlast any new camper you will buy. Any new camper will not have the workmanship that your wildwood has. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.
2011 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed
5.7L Hemi, 3:73 Rear
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:26 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
Rich, your current camper will outlast any new camper you will buy. Any new camper will not have the workmanship that your wildwood has. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Well...no new camper will ever be any more leakproof than ours! There are layers of protection at every seam.

Rich

Old 10-30-2019, 08:52 AM   #51

When to replace RV/TT

Some people do time tables by depreciation/value. Have a friend that says
start considering at 4 years, purchase after 6 years. Ours is a 2013 FR/RW Mini Lite 2306 Bunkhouse for the grands. Our last two were Fiberglass and no matter how good we maintained them they both suffered delamination issues on the front caps. Both had the same issues with the trim pieces too short on top and FRP Boogers failing at these junctions. We are considering having the roof sealed at Spray Energy when we purchase just like you would the bed of a new truck. Maybe this would make me keep the next one longer.
JMHO, Just saying.
Eran X. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:12 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eran X. Jones View Post
Some people do time tables by depreciation/value. Have a friend that says
start considering at 4 years, purchase after 6 years. Ours is a 2013 FR/RW Mini Lite 2306 Bunkhouse for the grands. Our last two were Fiberglass and no matter how good we maintained them they both suffered delamination issues on the front caps. Both had the same issues with the trim pieces too short on top and FRP Boogers failing at these junctions. We are considering having the roof sealed at Spray Energy when we purchase just like you would the bed of a new truck. Maybe this would make me keep the next one longer.
JMHO, Just saying.
I agree about the delam, if that happens it is time to make that someone else's problem, in my case most likely the dealer.

What we did do was when purchased out current 5er at 3 years old I went up onto the room and resealed every lap, every side, the front and back as well as Every roof penetration with roofing sealant. Thus far, 6 years later we have yet to experience any issues with our roof.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I agree about the delam, if that happens it is time to make that someone else's problem, in my case most likely the dealer.

What we did do was when purchased out current 5er at 3 years old I went up onto the room and resealed every lap, every side, the front and back as well as Every roof penetration with roofing sealant. Thus far, 6 years later we have yet to experience any issues with our roof.
Your efforts will be well worth it.

A lot of work, but that's what you have to do. At least now, you know that every seam has a quality, thorough, seal job. That takes a lot of guesswork out of "how well did the factory seal up my camper?"

Not many things more discouraging (camper-wise) than discovering water infiltration and not knowing where it's coming in from. A lot of damage could have occurred by then.

Rich

Old 10-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #54

Spray America Coatings for RV/TT Roofs

https://www.sprayamericacoatings.com

This is the link to what we are considering doing to our new travel trailer to hopefully prevent/stop the delamination issues we have had with our last two.
Eran X. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #55

Quote:
Do most folks that buy a new unit trade in, or sell (on their own), the old unit? I’m guessing trade in for simplicity’s sake...
Rich
Having owned nothing but pop-ups and A-frames, we have always sold on our own before buying the next. Dealers won't offer squat on a trade-in for these. OTOH, we sold our last A-frame for over 90% of what we paid for it new 4 years earlier - twice what dealers were offering.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:27 PM   #56

When the RV parks you like no longer allow you to visit because your unit is too old.
Wandering Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:48 PM   #57

Quote:
...even though you you have no complaints about your current RV?

It's one thing to upgrade because you've decided that your current RV lacks some of the features that you wish it had. I get that.

But, if you have an RV that you're happy with, when do you decide to trade it in for a new one? For what reason(s)?

Rich

In our case.........now.

Our beautiful, factory custom Puma Palomino was stolen a week after Labor Day.

Kinda half-hearted looking right now.....but for a class A gasser.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Oz View Post
In our case.........now.

Our beautiful, factory custom Puma Palomino was stolen a week after Labor Day.

Kinda half-hearted looking right now.....but for a class A gasser.

Yikes. Very sorry to hear that.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:33 PM   #59

14 years each for the last 2 RV's because I take care of them. My current RV is 10 years and I have no reason to expect it won't make another 4 years.
My history is a 1982, 1996, and 2010.
kim g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:42 PM   #60

It was an easy decision for us to trade in our 2018 model for a 2019 model. The salesman at the RV show said " If I can get you this for the same payments per month!"
kgriff5667 is offline   Reply With Quote