Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #61

I have decided to buy a new one when my current one is paid off in 2098.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:46 PM   #62

My preference is to have windows on the campsite side of the camper. 95% have the windows on the road, or utilities side (I don't want to see that). I also like comfortable recliners and my wife likes a king bed. We just picked up a Lacrosse 3311RK that fit the bill and let our Surveyor go.
rounder355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:02 PM   #63

When the inheritance check hits the bank. No, seriously, that was the reason.
Paulat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:30 PM   #64

When the situation changes

Have been using ours for regular camping and lots of travel ball. Since our daughter will be attending college and still play ball, I think our situation will call for a TT change (size/layout).
Love our Windjammer, but maybe one a little smaller with an “entertainment” type layout might suite us better.
MSPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:47 PM   #65

When do you decide to replace your RV

We bought our first RV in 2005 strictly for camping, and sold it last year when we decided to up grade. Our children are all married now and my husband travels most of the year for work. We decided that it was time to get a RV that was rated for full time living and had all the amenities that our home had since he would live in it about 11 months a year. Besides he gets a per diem for hotels and food, why not put it to good use paying for our RV. It is much nicer than visiting him at a hotel.
So, that being said, I say as others have said, do what works for you.
GAgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:51 PM   #66
Jayhawker

Time to upgrade

When my MRD check comes.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:13 AM   #67

When to upgrade?

We bought into a campground in 2004 with a 1985 Citation trailer. Got plenty of years use but the heater didn't work(used space heaters) had several roof leaks but was able to fix all but 1 in the bathroom. Replaced the tub since it cracked. Then the carpenter ants found their way in and we finally decided it was time in 2016 to replace it. Bought a used 2012 FR Surveyor. Had a leak in that also too, AC and Fridge needed replacement since we bought the warranty(charged us over $200.00 for freight). Now were are happy. We mainly loved the stall shower(over a tub and curtain) We now have central heat, Auto lighting hot water heater and are happy!
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:12 AM   #68

Well after over 50 years of owning and enjoying RV's, 1 popup, 2 Class C MH, 3 travel trailers, we sold our Rockwood and truck last week and are not planning to replace them at this point.

The decision was a combination of being 75 years old with a trailer that has seen 13 seasons of use for us. It is time for a change!

It has been a great run and the 2007 front kitchen Rockwood has been a great unit. I especially enjoyed doing the many mods to the trailer and always considered it a kit that was 80% complete when we bought it.

John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:45 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Man View Post
When the RV parks you like no longer allow you to visit because your unit is too old.

Is this rejection because of the age or condition of the camper? There are a lot of nice, restored vintage campers out there...and a lot of unmaintained "newer" ones that are shabby looking.
Judgement call by park owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Oz View Post
In our case.........now.

Our beautiful, factory custom Puma Palomino was stolen a week after Labor Day.

Kinda half-hearted looking right now.....but for a class A gasser.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Lowlife scumballs. I hope they eventually get caught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgriff5667 View Post
It was an easy decision for us to trade in our 2018 model for a 2019 model. The salesman at the RV show said " If I can get you this for the same payments per month!"
Just a longer payment plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I have decided to buy a new one when my current one is paid off in 2098.

Better take good care of it!....and yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightpumpkin View Post
Well after over 50 years of owning and enjoying RV's, 1 popup, 2 Class C MH, 3 travel trailers, we sold our Rockwood and truck last week and are not planning to replace them at this point.

The decision was a combination of being 75 years old with a trailer that has seen 13 seasons of use for us. It is time for a change!

It has been a great run and the 2007 front kitchen Rockwood has been a great unit. I especially enjoyed doing the many mods to the trailer and always considered it a kit that was 80% complete when we bought it.

John U

So...are you done? Or looking at a different class? Either way, I'll bet that you could tell some stories! Great camping career...

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:06 AM   #70
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
Is this rejection because of the age or condition of the camper? There are a lot of nice, restored vintage campers out there...and a lot of unmaintained "newer" ones that are shabby looking.
Judgement call by park owners?
Most of the places that have this rule, go by Age of the RV. Some places will make exceptions, if the older RV is in great condition.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:22 AM   #71

I believe the reasons change as you age.

We went from a 2 bunk TT to a Bunk Room because of the now 5 grand kids.

Loving every min.

As all said before, you go with what works for you at the time. Life is to short so enjoy it now because one day you will wake up and wonder where the time went.

pojp58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:13 AM   #72
Chris and Cecil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
Waiting on windows at both ends of a TT (or 5th wheel) that is 25 foot or so... Lance has two but a bit beyond our budget for now. Sure hope FR comes out with one....
Not sure if you require functional windows at both ends but our 25 foot microlite has a large non functioning front window in the kitchen and a large emergency escape window in the back in the bedroom. We love the tt.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #73

This is what I have experienced in wanting to purchase a new RV and I say New because the first RV (TT)I bought several years ago was 2 years old and had a leaky roof that I was unaware off. I personally would not buy used unless I knew the person who owned it and new he would be honest with me. The second RV I owned I was a 5th wheel 36' Cougar and I really liked it but after 2 years and going to an RV show we bought a new Crusader 5th wheel. I really like the Crusader but there have been several issues with it that I have repaired myself as none of the repairs were major.
one issue is cost, the trade in for your 2 year old RV depreciates so much that its easy to loose thousands of dollars on your RV and 2nd is that it usually takes a good year or 2 just to get all the bus and minor or sometimes major repairs fixed. It seems tht every RV no matter if it cost $50,000 or $500,000 has problems of some sort and I blame most of these problems on training. I don't think the industry does a good enough job in training the worker to do the job they are assigned to do. For example my radio did not work and I had to remove the fireplace to remove the radio and found that whoever installed the radio did not unwind the wire for the antenna therefor it was not able to get a reception, the track under the shower door did not have any sealant to keep it from leaking water onto the floor, the black tank flush valve was not installed properly,and the ground wire for the water heater was screwed into a piece of plastic on the side of the water heater and the water heater would only work on propane.
Manufactures please TRAIN YOUR WORKERS!!
Boatbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:10 AM   #74

Anyone mind telling me what "DW" means. I know its the wife but you ain't getting a new RV by calling her the Damn wife!!
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:19 AM   #75

I think it means Darling Wife
Boatbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #76

To upgrade or not

We like many, started out tent camping with the kids until they moved on. DW and I wanted to take a trip to the Black Hills and was wanting to rent an RV to make the trip. Ended up buying a used pop up the dealer took in on trade from the RV show. Paid $1K for it. Took it home, cleaned it up, and used it for 5 years. Gave it back to the RV dealer. We discussed buying a 5th wheel or buy a cabin. Ended up building a cabin. Bad choice, lost money and sold it after 7 years. Bought our first 5th wheel, a used 2009 Cougar 245RKS. A small unit that my F150 ecoboost could tow. We called it our "learner" 5th wheel because we didn't want to spend a ton of money on something we weren't sure we would like. Intended on keeping it 5 years. 3 years in we upgraded to a 2014 Sabre 33CKTS. It checked all the boxes. I have upgraded pin box, tires, brakes, suspension, hitch, all to make it solid and safe. Upgraded the TV to 2019 F350 diesel. Have been looking at newer units because of features that I would like. But I can upgrade what I have for a lot less than than buying another unit. The current one is paid for. Wanting better flooring, fixtures, etc. We plan on retiring next year and will spend a lot more time in the unit. If the cost of repairs gets too much, I'll buy another, but not new. Something several years old. That way I skip the depreciation and if there were issues with the unit, hopefully they would have been sorted out before I buy it. To upgrade is a personal choice based on what you want and your needs. To each his own.

Check out my Blog "A Grande Tour" about our travels and other writings! agrandetour.com
dougschne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:58 AM   #77
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
...even though you you have no complaints about your current RV?

It's one thing to upgrade because you've decided that your current RV lacks some of the features that you wish it had. I get that.

But, if you have an RV that you're happy with, when do you decide to trade it in for a new one? For what reason(s)?

Rich
Well, that's a simple question, and here's the simple answer.... when the DW says it's time to change and the finances work out! [emoji1787][emoji28][emoji1787][emoji28]

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:14 AM   #78
Insert witty title here

When this happened:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...od-190766.html

Then this happened:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ow-196699.html

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #79
jkoenig24

If you have a DP or TRUE Super-C (NOT a F450/550 wannabe) after ten years, you're likely to have ~ 100k miles on it which means, it's just "broken in". I've met several DP owners who, after searching for a new upgrade, were NOT impressed by $300k ~ $500k coaches they saw and, decided to use a customizer to get EXACTLY what they DID want. These "upgrades" often cost between $100k ~ $150K; SUBSTANTIALLY LESS than buying a new coach that did NOT impress them. I'm currently in Elkhart, IN getting MAJOR upgrades to my 2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB that I bought new in 2014. I bought my DX3 because it had the BEST floor plan I'd seen in four+ years of searching. Having owned it for ~ 5.5 years now, I STILL have NOT seen a better floor plan (with both slides closed, the coach is 98% usable and, NOTHING IMPORTANT moves or is blocked). That's a rarity in RVs (Dynamax has since "improved" the floorpan and, these important details have changed). Since my DX3 is built on a TRUE Class 7 HDT Freightliner cab chassis, being put into RV service means it got an "early retirement". I'm closing in on 60k miles so, I can expect MANY more years of service from this platform. I sold my "stick & brick" last year; my DX3, at 39'3" has plenty of room, power and, a once a year annual service at a Freightliner or Cummins shop runs between $500~$850 (my rig wants service at 12 months OR, 15k miles. For me, its' always been the 12 months). As long as your "old RV" has been well cared for, upgrading it IS a viable alternative to spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on what is a huge question mark.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #80
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Pedrick View Post
Anyone mind telling me what "DW" means. I know its the wife but you ain't getting a new RV by calling her the Damn wife!!
Also Dear Wife.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote