Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2018, 09:03 AM   #1
Aging Junior Member

When do you put out your sewer hose?

It seems most campgrounds are set up so that your sewer hose connection is on you neighbor's front porch. With this in mind, I put out my sewer hose when I'm ready to dump and then put it away, not wanting to leave the unsightly and sometimes smelly thing out on my neighbor's porch. Batta bing. Works for me. However, I notice that a lot of folks put out their sewer hoses when they first set up and leave 'em out for as long as they are camping. When do you put out your sewer hose?
Jeff95814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #2

It Depends!
If we are stay over night then we may not put out the sewer hose at all. If we are staying for more than two days the sewer hose is out as soon as I set up. I then will leave the shower gray tank valve open so, the tank will not fill-up. I will close this one day before we leave and than use this along with the kitchen gray tank to flush the sewer hose when the black tank is emptied.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
It Depends!
If we are stay over night then we may not put out the sewer hose at all. If we are staying for more than two days the sewer hose is out as soon as I set up. I then will leave the shower gray tank valve open so, the tank will not fill-up. I will close this one day before we leave and than use this along with the kitchen gray tank to flush the sewer hose when the black tank is emptied.
x2
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #4
Chief tinkerer

We use an adapter and put out a standard garden hose for gray water into a tight fitting adapter to the campsite. If we need to dump black (full or leaving), out comes the slinky.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #5

It depends if we get there at night then the next day otherwise when we get there, and yes sometimes when we first dump then it stays out. many variables

The campground that we go to has tight spaces and really have have never smelled the neighbors sewer hose even in 98 degree temps.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff95814 View Post
It seems most campgrounds are set up so that your sewer hose connection is on you neighbor's front porch. With this in mind, I put out my sewer hose when I'm ready to dump and then put it away, not wanting to leave the unsightly and sometimes smelly thing out on my neighbor's porch. Batta bing. Works for me. However, I notice that a lot of folks put out their sewer hoses when they first set up and leave 'em out for as long as they are camping. When do you put out your sewer hose?
As you visit more C/G you will see some "Real Doozy Locations" for Sewer! Outside Glacier NP there is a High Rated?? C/G where the Neighbors sewer hose was at our Steps,if we moved , the Slide would hit a tree! We can go for a Week before needing to "Hook Up the Hose"! If just for overnite we do not Dump every time! Youroo!!
Old 07-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #7

We put it out when we are ready to dump.

We may leave it hooked up but the valves closed if we are staying long enough to require another dump before we leave. We're former tent campers so we tend to use the campground showers and our water use is minimal.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:50 PM   #8

We hook it up right away and leave it out. Usually dump a couple of times during 10-day or 2-week stay. Always try to avoid black tank operations when neighbors are out there....just as a courtesy.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #9
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
It Depends!
Not a good idea to leave gray tanks open, either.

I know...I know...lots of people have been doing it for years with "No Problems!"

Of course, it is not their septic system that is getting screwed up long after they leave, so how would they even know there were "No Problems!"?

Anywayz...

Please watch the whole video (about 5 minutes long)...not just the first 30 seconds, which is someone who actually knows about this kind of stuff...

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #10
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

By the by...

I typically won't get my sewer hose out until I need to dump, unless I know I'm going to be there for a week, then I'll just put it out when I feel like it before I need to dump.

I just replaced all 40-feet of my sewer hoses...

Started to notice little pin hole leaks.

Bought the Rhino hose...so far pretty awesome!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #11

I will now keep my gray tank closed after watching that. Good information. Thanks
jbrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #12

Quote:
It Depends!
Same here.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrobson View Post
I will now keep my gray tank closed after watching that. Good information. Thanks
That's funny. After watching his videos on several subjects, I decided most of his reasoning just doesn't hold enough water.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:06 PM   #14

I generally stay 3 weeks at a time so I just hook everything at once. I'm to old and worn out to mess around all the time.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:26 PM   #15

I hook it up when we are ready to dump and its usually right before we leave. I usually fill black tank with RV park water and conserve my on board water. Usually we don't stay anywhere more then 3-4 nights. I really don't like leaving it hooked up, so in our case dump and done.
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #16

I put out my hose when I set up....However I NEVER,NEVER dump my black tank during meal times or if my neighbour is sitting out at their patio/picnic table.......Usually dump in evenings...J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #17

I keep my gray tank closed to so I have plenty of water to rinse out my black hose when I dump.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #18

We have one of those Waste Master drain pipes. The way it's designed, its doesn't work well leaving the valve open. But going out there and dumping the tanks periodically when they're full, its the easiest set-up I know of.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #19

I don't like that big sewer hose...mine has yet to be deployed.
One More Time Around: Wolf Pup - Sewage
And I only rig/dump when nearing full and put it away after I dump.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
I put out my hose when I set up....However I NEVER,NEVER dump my black tank during meal times or if my neighbour is sitting out at their patio/picnic table.......Usually dump in evenings...J
X2 only I usually dump early morning as someone is usually sitting out all evening until late..........

if I don't like the neighbor I dump while they are out................ and only the black tank....... Just Kidding........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote