Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2018, 12:20 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwilliams808 View Post
I-10 westbound from the Atchafalaya Basin to the I-49 bridge in Louisiana, have to slow to 45 to keep things from falling apart.
X2
Robbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:06 PM   #82

Explain to me anyone who can why in California our roads suck and we just got hit with and ADDITIONAL 11 cents per gallon tax to fix them. Wait, never mind I remember now. It is because we are using the ORIGINAL gas tax to build a High speed train from San Francisco to Bakersfield. Like anyone wants to go to Bakersfield. Nimrod politico's at their best.
DASchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:12 PM   #83
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASchell View Post
Explain to me anyone who can why in California our roads suck and we just got hit with and ADDITIONAL 11 cents per gallon tax to fix them. Wait, never mind I remember now. It is because we are using the ORIGINAL gas tax to build a High speed train from San Francisco to Bakersfield. Like anyone wants to go to Bakersfield. Nimrod politico's at their best.
Main reason why we left California, when we retired.
As a native Californian, I could no longer stand what my once great state has become.[emoji24]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:44 PM   #84

I think the moderators should start a spread sheet on pot holes, yes our highway system is falling apart. Once they get all these put down, send them to Dominos for repair. You can't depend on the State or our wonderful gov. To do it anymore. Just pay your gas tax and let them use it for the idiots short comings. When was the last time you heard of money given to schools from the Lottery?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:51 PM   #85

California Highways need more money??? Humm..Maybe the illegal immigrant birth explosion needs some more State funding too, for them to be delivering more healthy new voting citizens? It is such a shame that the beautiful State of Cali is now at the bottom of the U.S. list for financial solvency.

Caltrans NEVER has enough money, it seems.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASchell View Post
California is an interesting State. Everyone complains about their politicians but no one wants to admit that they voted for any of them.

Reality is that everyone focuses on the "Big Cheese" at election time, Governor, and the "mice" all sneak in under the radar to muck things up in the Legislature. Same for the federal government. Congress for years has had lower approval ratings than even our current President yet nothing changes election after election.

Who was it who said "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"?

Another quote I like, "we are a nation founded by genius but run by idiots".
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #87

Very good, I do like the quotes, I lived and raised my family in the bay area, I left because of taxes and nothing ever being done, on a fixed income it's almost impossible. But even through the cost of living being lower in Virginia, it still the same, nothing including the highways ever get repaired. It's just a pure shame, I think every State has the same problems. I live in Southern VA. But all our tax dollar is spent up North above Richmond, and still as noted on this thread, the roads and approaches to over passes will rattle your bones , teeth or give you a blow out.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #88

Oh..BTW..Colorado's Denver population has increased by 80% since the recreational pot laws got passed and the new booming State economy..Influx has made home prices skyrocket....As well as increasing the numbers of homeless (and stoned) street people.

Sooooo, lessee..Almost twice as many cars, twice as much fuel tax paid and much higher sales tax revenues, but three times the unfilled potholes?? And they can't raise the dime to match 90% Federal matching funds to add up to a construction buck....Sad.

Must be the "New Math" where they can't fix the existing roads due to short funding for infrastructure financing..It will be interesting to see how the voters go to approve a Winter Olympics bid..

Sadly, tain't the same as it used to be here..
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:08 PM   #89

What bugs us the most are bridge transitions. You can be on smooth road and then hit the bumps either side of the bridge. Do the engineers and or inspectors just forget about the smoothness of bridges?
Bob Westdorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:58 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
Oh..BTW..Colorado's Denver population has increased by 80% since the recreational pot laws got passed and the new booming State economy..Influx has made home prices skyrocket....As well as increasing the numbers of homeless (and stoned) street people.

Sooooo, lessee..Almost twice as many cars, twice as much fuel tax paid and much higher sales tax revenues, but three times the unfilled potholes?? And they can't raise the dime to match 90% Federal matching funds to add up to a construction buck....Sad.

Must be the "New Math" where they can't fix the existing roads due to short funding for infrastructure financing..It will be interesting to see how the voters go to approve a Winter Olympics bid..

Sadly, tain't the same as it used to be here..
Yes on the "more cars" in the Denver area. Unfortunately most of the new vehicles get better fuel mileage than vehicles did when the idea of a gas tax for roads started. More cars, less revenue per car.

I expect an eventual change to a pay by mile method. Something as simple as having to provide odometer readings when renewing vehicle license then getting a bill.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:37 AM   #91

I-465 Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmcdonald View Post
Just finished 2800 miles from Colorado to Ohio and back. Had cabinet damage on the bad roads, especially bridge transitions. We traveled I70 all the way. East bound Co, KS, were the best. Illinois, Missouri were okay, all of Indiana was a wash board peppered with potholes. West bound Colorado was another bad experience. I don't remember Ohio because going out I was desensitized and leaving we were just happy to be out of the rain.
I-465 from Allisonville road and I-74 is a rippling nightmare and to know that they took up all of the asphalt to put in concrete a few years back is really sad. Your car will absorb the rippling if you have decent shocks, but hauling a TT forget about it.
Rockwood2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:17 PM   #92

Bad Concrete Roads

I found I-43 eastbound from I-90 in Wisconsin to be quite bumpy. Had to get off at US Rte 14 to avoid damage.
SunScoutGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:49 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephndudb View Post
I-69 near Lansing, MI. We got that oscillation cycle so bad I was worried we'd have serious damage. Very violent. Must be related to axle spacing because our friends behind us in a slightly different truck/fifth wheel didn't experience it as bad as we did. Also wonder if our heavy-springed 3500 transmits the bounce more than their 250.
Yup we live in Kalamazoo and that stretch of 69 is awful! We should get our law makers to ride with us in our Tow vehicles! If MI is a tourism state, we should improve the towers' experience. 94 is getting better but around Jackson it's bad.

We've traveled out of state the last several years in part due the MI roads.
Bob Westdorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #94
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Westdorp View Post
What bugs us the most are bridge transitions. You can be on smooth road and then hit the bumps either side of the bridge. Do the engineers and or inspectors just forget about the smoothness of bridges?
This seems to be something we all agree on. I often lift off the accelerator and hold on tight expecting a rough ride.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:17 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
What State...over all I’d say the US highways in Oklahoma. Locally, around Chicago & Shreveport.
I drove across the Oklahoma panhandle last year (traveling from Dumas to Denver.) 40 miles of "What were they thinking?"

I'd add Jackson MS to your local list. I'm convinced there's no one in Jackson who knows how to build a road, and if there is, they work out of town.

Gottawonder
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote