Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2018, 07:32 AM   #41

All the roads in California stink. Concrete by far is the worse due to the porpoise affect. Drive on I-5 and it just burns you out and so happy to get to our destination. That is the main reason I swapped out my 5er King Pin with one of them that has the rubber to take up some of the jerking around.
rock-rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:16 AM   #42
Back On The Go

Quite honestly I can't recall if they are concrete or asphalt but here are 2 really, really bad ones, not interstate but 2-lane which we normally prefer. Highway 69 running north/south in Oklahoma between Durant and I-44 will shake the fillings out of your teeth. Hwy. 190 running east/west across Louisiana parallel but north of I-10 appears to have never been worked on. Also awful.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:18 AM   #43
Back On The Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
I295 around Richmond VA. Not the concrete parts themselves although not great and are gradually being surfaced over with asphalt but most of the bridge transitions are killers. You hit them at speed and are liable to bottom out on your suspension. I don't why they can't grade them evenly. And it's not settling before someone goes there. They're like that as soon as they finish resurfacing too.
Man, I'm with you on the bridge transitions - EVERYWHERE. After all these years why can't construction techniques be available to smooth these out?

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #44

Here is a very simple, cost saving, fix for most rough roads, just slow down! What’s the big hurry? If you have to hurry to your destination, maybe you should have stayed closer to home, or plan a longer stay? Just my opinion.
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #45

I-65 south of Louisville, Ky for about 30 or 40 miles. You will re-distribute everything in your camper whether you want to or not. About the worst I've been on.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:36 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdenman View Post
Here is a very simple, cost saving, fix for most rough roads, just slow down! What’s the big hurry? If you have to hurry to your destination, maybe you should have stayed closer to home, or plan a longer stay? Just my opinion.
I agree, and I do. I never drive over 60 on the interstates, and slow down to 50 or so on the really bad concrete sections. But I feel like I'm creating a traffic hazard at 50 and many people get mad enough to flip me off! Always afraid someone will do worse than that!
Old 09-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperry View Post
I agree, and I do. I never drive over 60 on the interstates, and slow down to 50 or so on the really bad concrete sections. But I feel like I'm creating a traffic hazard at 50 and many people get mad enough to flip me off! Always afraid someone will do worse than that!
I could care less how many pass me in the left lane. That's what it's for. If I'm driving along at "freeway speed" which is in most states anywhere from their posted minimum to posted maximum speed, anyone passing me and flipping me off just gets a friendly wave back.

On two lane highways I'm not too proud to use the pull-outs and let vehicles behind me pass.

As for slowing down on BAD roads being the solution, I can say from experience that hitting a huge pothole created by a broken out chunk of concrete is just as nasty at 50 mph as it is at 60-70. A tip for avoiding them as much as possible is to look for the dark oily patch that always appears immediately beyond a bump in the road. They come from all the oil and dirt that's shaken from the bottom of vehicles that hit the bump. I find it to be enough of an early warning to either slow or move to avoid.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I could care less how many pass me in the left lane. That's what it's for. If I'm driving along at "freeway speed" which is in most states anywhere from their posted minimum to posted maximum speed, anyone passing me and flipping me off just gets a friendly wave back.

On two lane highways I'm not too proud to use the pull-outs and let vehicles behind me pass.

As for slowing down on BAD roads being the solution, I can say from experience that hitting a huge pothole created by a broken out chunk of concrete is just as nasty at 50 mph as it is at 60-70. A tip for avoiding them as much as possible is to look for the dark oily patch that always appears immediately beyond a bump in the road. They come from all the oil and dirt that's shaken from the bottom of vehicles that hit the bump. I find it to be enough of an early warning to either slow or move to avoid.

Don't even get in the left lanes of a three or more lane freeway/highway pulling a trailer in CA you can and will be ticketed. I received a lane violation ticket when I moved to the far left lane of a three lane freeway to pass slower traffic while pulling a trailer

There is no reason anyone towing a trailer should be in the left lanes of a multi lane freeway for once I agree with something CA does should be that way in all
States....This includes big rigs, landscape trailers anything. I thought it was ok to just use the lane to pass I was wrong to the tune of over $200 and the cost of online traffic school to keep the points off my record.

21655b You must tow in the designated lane, usually the right hand lane, except for passing. When passing you must use the lane directly on the left of the designated lane.
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #49

Mississippi ... the residents should be embarrassed to have visitors in their state. I've driven on some bad concrete highways but they have absolutely the worst ones hands down. Those folks should make their representatives in Washington explain to them why they can't get funding for highway improvements given all of the highway construction zones around the US. If they can't get a good answer make their representatives drive Hwy 49 up to to I-20 until they get one.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #50

Hwy 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Mississippi ... the residents should be embarrassed to have visitors in their state. I've driven on some bad concrete highways but they have absolutely the worst ones hands down. Those folks should make their representatives in Washington explain to them why they can't get funding for highway improvements given all of the highway construction zones around the US. If they can't get a good answer make their representatives drive Hwy 49 up to to I-20 until they get one.
As an alternative to Hwy 49, we take Hwy 45 out of Mobile, up to Tupelo, taking I-22 using bypasses around Memphis to the east and hit I-55 north to St. Louis. Hwy 45 is 4 lanes, no heavy traffic and scenic with fairly good services along the way.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #51

I think it would be easier to list the "good" stretches of concrete highways!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:02 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetime View Post
Give me asphalt please...

Just returned on a 2000 mile 14 day trip and drove on some of the roughest concrete interstate roads.

I39 north of Bloomington, IL was shake n bake n rock n roll n bounce...It is a good thing we have a stable WDH with no sway, or we'd been all over the road.

I was holding on hoping the TT wouldn't break loose from the hitch, and we were keeping it between 60-65 MPH.

With the rough ride, and the road noise, we couldn't hear the radio or speak to one another.

The John Kilpatrich Turnpike around Oklahoma City is another rough ride, like crossing waves in a boat.

It was so nice to get on a smooth quiet asphalt highway.

Perhaps Garmin can set a preference for asphalt only?
IL roads are awful! I would rather tow on a winding, hilly Missouri road than the straight, flat, illinois pot hole laden road. We take old Highway 50 from St. Louis to Carlyle, IL through small towns and stoplights instead of"new" 50 which has 20 miles of "test" roads that are clearly failing the test.

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 254DSX
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 6.2L
BeckyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:28 PM   #53

US 259 north and south thru all of Broken Bow, OK. And the asphalt is not the greatest either. Kinda reminds me of northwest LA.
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:40 PM   #54

What State...over all I’d say the US highways in Oklahoma. Locally, around Chicago & Shreveport.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:37 PM   #55

Can't understand why the expansion joints on concrete highways cannot be even rather than an inch difference in height. That being said try I-10 across Louisiana; or better yet don't try it.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #56
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
We are US State Highway travelers,see more, slower pace, and by far Smoother Roads! The "Roughest section of Concrete in the USA is the Campground entrance to the Amana Colonies"! This had to be part of a "abandoned Test Track for Suspension " there could Not be any other reason! Youroo! !
X 2 But using I 80 to get there was even worse. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:52 PM   #57
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
I-65 south of Louisville, Ky for about 30 or 40 miles. You will re-distribute everything in your camper whether you want to or not. About the worst I've been on.

You think that is bad try I 80 in Iowa and you will get a new education to what rough is. Been on 65 south of Louisville and no comparison. Later
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #58

Many people do not know that road building engineers in Louisiana routinely mix permanant bumps into the cement as a way of saving on the amount of sand, gravel and cement required to complete the job. They also have dirt contractors not to compact certain areas so as to create dips in the roadway. I49 is relatively new north of Shreveport. Drive it and you will see what I mean. All of this is so we have something to talk about.
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #59

Amen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshaynes View Post
Many people do not know that road building engineers in Louisiana routinely mix permanant bumps into the cement as a way of saving on the amount of sand, gravel and cement required to complete the job. They also have dirt contractors not to compact certain areas so as to create dips in the roadway. I49 is relatively new north of Shreveport. Drive it and you will see what I mean. All of this is so we have something to talk about.
I was reading thru all the posts to see if anybody mentioned I-49 N to the Ark line. HORRIBLE!!! And it’s a brand new highway!!! I think they built the dips in on purpose. lol.
All the comments about I-20 are spot on. There’s a big bump on the East bound side in Bossier right at the Benton Rd exit that will jar your teeth out in my 4500 work truck.
Rbare31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:47 AM   #60

I am glad this is not about "Runways " because the Airports "Suck"! Youroo! !