Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2017, 07:30 AM   #1

Which golf cart type is better gas VS electric?

Hello everyone,

We are going to be purchasing a golf cart to take with us on our camping trips across the country. Trying to decide which type of motor to go with gas or electric. Wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom to share. Have you heard of campgrounds NOT allowing gas powered carts? Thanks for any help you can give.

Redheaded blue tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:39 AM   #2

It's going to depend on the park. I've been in several different parks and have found some don't allow them at all, some will only allow electric and others don't care. I prefer electric it's quiet and smoother to me.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:41 AM   #3

I have had a 2007 Club Car Precedent for 6 years now. It is powered by four 12V batteries. My batteries are 5 years old now and still hold a good charge but run times are not as long as when new. New batteries are $260 x 4 but last 5+ years with proper maintenance. They are designed to run for 18 hole golf round. (10 miles'ish) before charge.
This is the biggest issue with Gas Vs Battery. Gas always has full power.
I prefer battery carts.
They are quiet, clean power without the exhaust fumes or the gas cans.
I have heard some parks do not allow gas carts but ours allow both.

If I had the choice again, I would still buy an electric cart but the batteries would be 6 x 8V = 48V. The 8V last longer (years) and have longer run times.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabbwr View Post
It's going to depend on the park. I've been in several different parks and have found some don't allow them at all, some will only allow electric and others don't care. I prefer electric it's quiet and smoother to me.
X2 plus electric requires a lot less maintenance.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
X2 plus electric requires a lot less maintenance.

How much less?

I see Electric's as just as much. Cleaning battery terminals regularly, adding water, daily charging, etc,

Gas you fill with gas, check oil, and change it about once a year. Maybe a spark plug every year or two.

I agree that electric is quieter (I even have an "electric" car ). I don't see it as less maintenance, just DIFFERENT maintenance.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:28 AM   #6

Which golf cart type is better gas VS electric?

Neither actually requires more maintenance. I have had both. The electric will not allow as great of operational distance and will need to be charged almost constantly to be ready for your use, usually 20 miles at best depending on the load. My gas cart only requires an oil change every 100-150 hours. It holds enough gasoline to easily go 120 miles. Best part, it will go 26 mph if needed and the exhaust noise is only a bit more noticeable as the electric motor whine.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:53 PM   #7
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
How much less?

I see Electric's as just as much. Cleaning battery terminals regularly, adding water, daily charging, etc,

Gas you fill with gas, check oil, and change it about once a year. Maybe a spark plug every year or two.

I agree that electric is quieter (I even have an "electric" car ). I don't see it as less maintenance, just DIFFERENT maintenance.
You forgot that gas also requires filters and belts. Along with Carburetor and emission service.
Gas carts are now banned in some areas(California leads the way) and more to come; so that becomes an additional problem.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #8
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Unless you are already transporting gasoline for another purpose, I'd go electric just so I didn't have to haul stinky, dangerous gas cans in my truck. And, at the campsite, the cart's "fuel" is already paid for.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #9

I don't like carrying spare gas with me. Even with additives the gas will still get stale if you aren't careful. I've had both and electric is all I'll ever buy again.
twiggw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #10
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I was where you're at 5 years ago. I have experience with both, gas ones I worked on at a previous employment and electric which I currently own. The biggest issues I saw is the gas ones can give you grief if the gas goes bad which occurs often unless you add a preventative enzyme or run AV Gas. Then the inconvenience of needing to buy and store gas for it. Also excessive use with dirty aircleaners or not changing the motor oil they lose compression and will be hard starting.

Based on your info of touring the country and NOT knowing where you'll be next and if they allow gas or not, I'd definitely go electric. Most of the places we stay at do NOT allow gas golf cars.
When I bought my 2, I got them used that were just turned over from a golf course. I have 2005 Yamaha G22's 48v (6x8v batts). One I have lifted and added the rear seat while the other is stock. I've only replaced batteries once. The batteries I replaced were over 7 years old. I can easily run around for 3 days without a charge but always plug in at night and let the auto charger bring it back up to snuff. For maintenance I check water level every 4 months or so depending on frequent of charge. Terminals have never needed cleaning since the new batts 3 years ago. If I remember right, when I GPS'ed it, we got it upto 20mph. That is with 3 people and the car is lifted 6" with larger wheel and tires, and a flip back rear seat.
It's a life saver for my wife, especially when we go to Fort Wilderness. It's also great around the yard gardening and what not.
Best luck in your choice.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheaded blue tick View Post
Hello everyone,

We are going to be purchasing a golf cart to take with us on our camping trips across the country. Trying to decide which type of motor to go with gas or electric. Wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom to share. Have you heard of campgrounds NOT allowing gas powered carts? Thanks for any help you can give.
According to a friend of mine who is a mechanic at a golf course that repairs everything including the golf carts, claims that the gas carts have less maintenance problems and the nice thing, you don't have to plug them in and just get in, step on the pedal and go. Add gas once in awhile.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #12

If you were to run out of fuel which one would you rather be driving?
Steppenout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppenout View Post
If you were to run out of fuel which one would you rather be driving?
Both have gauges, how would you run out of "fuel" in either running around a campground?
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #14

Our campground has a policy of no gas golf carts. So to be safe go electric. I live on bracish (salt/fresh) water and built a Club Car Presadent aluminum frame not steel easy to work on just fill the battery's with distilled water once a month.
poofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #15

We have been to Lots of RV parks that say "NO Golf Carts/Side by Sides",we have been to RV Parks that say "NO Gas Carts/Side by Sides,we have NEVER been to a RV Park that says "No Electric Carts"! We have had Gas and Elect Carts,I hands Down prefer "GAS"! We bought ours NEW so I know the History! Youroo!!
Old 08-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #16

If I were you, I would buy a 48 volt golf cart. Stay away from a 36 volt as most do not climb hills very well. Make sure you test drive the cart to see if it climbs hills the way you want it to. I recently purchased a 48 volt EZGO RXV cart after test driving a few. I found out that not all 48 volt carts are created equal. Good luck!
Yowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
You forgot that gas also requires filters and belts. Along with Carburetor and emission service.
Gas carts are now banned in some areas(California leads the way) and more to come; so that becomes an additional problem.

No belt in 4 years, no filter just a cleaning, and I don't live in California, thank god, so no emission service because there is no emission device to service. I've been both ways and gas is it,
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:03 AM   #18

Cars, trucks, boats and airplanes have fuel gauges. How does anybody run out of fuel in those?
Steppenout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #19

That is a tough decision, gas or electric. As much as I like the gas carts, I probably would go with a nice electric cart with long range and a great consumer rating.

No matter what you buy, you're going to encounter some rules regarding carts and 3/4-wheeled scooters. The wife and I use two electric 3-wheeled scooters. Oregon state parks do not allow the use of them unless one has a handicap placard and card.

Last year, one Thousand Trails park wouldn't allow my grandkids to use the scooters to get back and forth to the club house, the other one did. One only goes 4.5 mph, the other 20 mph and the kids know better to drive them faster than the posted speed limit in the parks.

2016 Forest River Heritage Glen 276RLIS
2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2500HD Duramax
Pasco, Washington
41ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:52 PM   #20
Broken Toe

You might as well ask, Whats better, a Pickup or a Corvette?

It's gonna come down to how you use them. Occasional use in a GC running around, electric won't be an issue. All-day, every-day and you might want to consider gas.

Me personally, I'd do electric. I think for camping use, you will have more times you wish you'd bought electric instead of gas than you would wish you bought gas over electric.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, gas