Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2021, 06:48 AM   #61
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
For those naysayers that state never buy an RV GPS IMHO are on borrowed time before they run into a bad situation, are very lucky or never go very far from home....snip......
We've been to the 4 corners of the USA. Bass Harbor Maine, Anacortes WA, San Diego CA, Key West FL plus a whole bunch in between.
See my signature map!
All without an RV gps. Just a mix of paper maps and google and the GPS in my trucks.

We did wind up on a gravel road once while crossing the White mountains but hey- it's all part of the adventure!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:34 AM   #62
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Yesterday my Garmin GPS told me to turn left into a sidewalk market.

In Hawaii I was looking for a waterfall. GPS brought me to end of a private drive with a big cardboard sign that said Google maps brought you here. This is NOT the waterfall!

Some GPS units will have some clearance and weight restriction limits available. But I don't think in your situation a different GPS would have given different directions.
That's why we rely on maps. Yes! paper maps.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:00 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Not even in 4WD with the transfer case in low range? I wish I could try it with my 2019 Silverado. I'm always up for a challenge.
I have no clue. I'm only stating what the guy who lives on the hill said to me. He said he's been living there for over 20 years. He said that 1/2 ton pick ups towing large trailers get stuck. With all of the options available for trucks I am sure there is the right configuration that will allow you to do it. I don't plan on being the one to try. lol
TTnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:01 AM   #64

Got myself in a few jams also. I purchased RVTripWizard at the suggestions of someone from this group. It plans RV friendly routes tailored to your RV. in the past month helped me avoid low under passes and dirt roads.
caflorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:07 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTnewbie View Post
In this situation, even if I had a 1/2 ton pick up I would not have made it up that hill.
Now this location is on my bucket list.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:54 PM   #66

I use a Garmin 785 lmt for my RV and for driving motor coaches. I have multiple vehicle profiles stored in it to help with avoidance routing. An added bonus is that I downloaded Garmin's free Basecamp program and use it for route planning on my computer, then I upload the route to the Garmin. Also, I never use a cell-phone based navigation program unless it's CoPilot or Sygic that lets me load the map database into the phone so that I'm not dependent upon a cellular connection that's not always available.

When I'm doing my trip planning, I always use Google Earth or Google Maps Satellite View to check out my destination.
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:00 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by whjco View Post
I use a Garmin 785 lmt for my RV and for driving motor coaches. I have multiple vehicle profiles stored in it to help with avoidance routing. An added bonus is that I downloaded Garmin's free Basecamp program and use it for route planning on my computer, then I upload the route to the Garmin. Also, I never use a cell-phone based navigation program unless it's CoPilot or Sygic that lets me load the map database into the phone so that I'm not dependent upon a cellular connection that's not always available.

When I'm doing my trip planning, I always use Google Earth or Google Maps Satellite View to check out my destination.
That is so ironic. I just posted a separate thread about the Garmin 780 RV GPS. I did not want to post my question on here and now I see that you posted about the Garmin 785. Do you recommend it?
Old 06-11-2021, 08:34 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTnewbie View Post
That is so ironic. I just posted a separate thread about the Garmin 780 RV GPS. I did not want to post my question on here and now I see that you posted about the Garmin 785. Do you recommend it?
I recommend it but the 780 RV model might do all that you need. I have the Garmin 785 because I drive charter buses and needed the extra features for commercial vehicle operation. It's nice because it also has a built-in dashcam.
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:54 AM   #69
Trailer Park Supervisor

Wow, you got a lot of responses! I only read first 2 pages. One thing I've quickly learned, because it seems like there are a LOT of campgrounds in the Pocono Mountain area with similar approach issues: Always check campground website for directions. They often warn you NOT to follow GPS, because of unsuitable roads for RVs being suggested. They often will direct you some other way from most major road approaches.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:13 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Wow, you got a lot of responses! I only read first 2 pages. One thing I've quickly learned, because it seems like there are a LOT of campgrounds in the Pocono Mountain area with similar approach issues: Always check campground website for directions. They often warn you NOT to follow GPS, because of unsuitable roads for RVs being suggested. They often will direct you some other way from most major road approaches.
I am definitely doing that from now on. I previously asked about North South Lake Campground in the Catskill Mountains and someone on here told me to contact them because I know that there are 2 very steep hills on the way to the site. I called and they gave me an alternate route that does not have steep inclines. It's about 20 minutes out of the way but I would rather that then have to struggle up a steep mountain.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:14 PM   #71

I don't own a GPS gizmo and not sure I ever will.

I have had far to many people say they followed the GPS directions and it led them astray. That would be with a vehicles 'built in GPS' and with those individual after market units.

I will rely on my Rand McNally map - it has NEVER EVER taken me the wrong way in the some 50 years I've been driving.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:32 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
I don't own a GPS gizmo and not sure I ever will.

I have had far to many people say they followed the GPS directions and it led them astray. That would be with a vehicles 'built in GPS' and with those individual after market units.

I will rely on my Rand McNally map - it has NEVER EVER taken me the wrong way in the some 50 years I've been driving.
I'm not being critical on what your saying i agree, to an extent. Nothing is perfect but how do you tell bridge height, weight limits and other restrictions based on whatever your driving. Now granted for many years, I too, used maps to get everyplace between here and Florida but I wasn't driving a 25 plus ton 13.6ft high Class A. Ironically I still use maps to review my routes have them for most of the USA. If there's a secret I'd be interested. Thxs
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:42 PM   #73

Do NOT repeat, Do Not get a Rand McNaly overdryve. You will hate it! For a map company, they sure don't update their maps often enough. The one I have had me going going down non existent roads, on the map. The road was there because my Ford F-150 map WAS up to date. The RM was wanting me to go around roundabouts that didn't exit.

The wort part is the mount. It is huge, and unstable. Going down the interstate it shook so much I thought it would fall off and was for the most part illegible. I just wish Garmin had a way of swapping to RV maps in the Kenwood head units. It has the latest maps, but for autos only.

When you DO get an RV GPS, make sure to set all the settings, especially grades, and it will weed out routes that include them.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:48 PM   #74

When traveling from the Adirondacks to Bar Harbor, Google Maps put me on a state road in Vermont ( that I found out later is town managed and closed during the winter because it’s impassable ), while going up this single lane stone/ dirt road my truck and trailer was sliding backwards while the wheels were spinning forward. Lucky I was able to stop sliding and engaged 4wd and limped out. VT58 I think it was.

I just purchased a “truck” gps and heading out this week to a CG in western PA , which of course the name of the road isn’t recognized on the GPS and google maps has it under a different name… so this should be fun.
Joe_bikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:56 PM   #75
Beanbag

I was going to a Prevost shop in Tennessee using a standard Garmin GPS. I was maybe a mile from the shop when it showed me to take a right. I take a right and thought “man this is a narrow road”. After maybe three blocks there’s a little curve and a RR bridge saying 11’8”. I could’t help wonder how well my 13’ bus would fit through the 11.8 opening?

Now of course there are cars everywhere and I can’t go anywhere but back to a cross street maybe 50 yards back. So I stopped a guy in the other lane and had him walk back to the guy behind me. And between the three of us and finely three cops, two Eskimo’s and a Kangaroo I got back on the main drag. You see, I couldn’t turn at the cross streets because they were too narrow. So I had to back all the way out to the Street I turned off of. The entire operation took well over an hour and some folks were not happy.

In th Prevost shop I met an owner who said “Get CoPilot for RV”! And haven’t looked back since. The Prevost manager said this happens 4 to 5 times a year.

You’ve heard it said a number of times and it’s true. When in trouble stop “JUST STOP” and it will all get figured out. Be embarrassed later and I was but handle the situation now!
Wingwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:07 PM   #76

3/4 Ton will make your trips more enjoyable

Had travel Trailer and always overloaded it and, always pushed my gas 1/2 ton pickup to the limit. Sold the 1/2 ton as soon as I realized though the manufacturer said I could tow 9,800 pounds, they didn't mention anywhere that going up steep grades with that weight would be almost impossible and DANGEROUS! You've all seen the commercials of trucks towing these heavy loads and think- I can tow that also and guess what, we all try and take the chance. For me, I decided never, ever to pull my 34' toy hauler (7,450lbs dry) or any other trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup, so I now pull everything with a 3/4 ton F250 4x4 Super Duty Diesel. Mud, Sand, Steep Grades, Snow, Streams, you name it, this F250 can get me out of a jam. The problem is that, we want the big travel trailers but don't have the truck to pull it. Unless we could weigh our rigs on a scale after its loaded (before every trip) with gear, water, fuel fire wood etc, I bet you most trailers out there are over the weight limit, in my opinion.

"A man's gotta know his limitations"...
BrokenArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:09 PM   #77

Was he a licensed electrician? The NEMA 14-50 plug shown requires a 50 amp circuit in the panel and correct wire size. The face of the receptacle tells the user what voltage and current they can expect. I use my NEMA 14-50 for both my RV and EV. This is not code.
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:40 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Yesterday my Garmin GPS told me to turn left into a sidewalk market.

In Hawaii I was looking for a waterfall. GPS brought me to end of a private drive with a big cardboard sign that said Google maps brought you here. This is NOT the waterfall!

Some GPS units will have some clearance and weight restriction limits available. But I don't think in your situation a different GPS would have given different directions.
how about wanting you to take a ferry across the Ohio River?
debbie_rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:00 PM   #79

Google maps

Google maps tried to take me down a dirt road to go around a dam, and over a footbridge! Fortunately, there was a turning circle, big enough for a van. Good thing I didn't have a class C then.
nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:30 PM   #80
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkmann View Post
Was he a licensed electrician? The NEMA 14-50 plug shown requires a 50 amp circuit in the panel and correct wire size. The face of the receptacle tells the user what voltage and current they can expect. I use my NEMA 14-50 for both my RV and EV. This is not code.
Since you didn't quote who you're responding to, I looked through every post in this thread and not a one has anything to with what you're saying.[emoji848]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote