Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2021, 11:23 AM   #101
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I remember one time driving in Chicago before GPS was really popular so we had to use a regular paper map.

The problem was that we were on Wacker Dr. There is an UPPER and a LOWER Wacker drive. They are literally on top of each other. The paper map was almost useless as you can't really differentiate between the 2 on the map.

I think we drove around in circles for about 15 minutes trying to figure out how to get back to the interstate from the hotel we we stayed in. We did manage to pass the hotel 3 or 4 times though...
Did that in DC trying to find a kayak launch location for about 50 minutes because each wrong turn put me on a road across the river. I drove back and forth until I was furious and then some.

Turns out it was just like you described - a road above a road and the GPS just spazzed out.

I freaking hate driving in DC.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:49 AM   #102

TTnewbie,
I am familiar with that hill for sure!! I pulled a 41ft TT 9000 LBS with a Ram 1500 up that and just barely made it, then upgraded to a RAM 2500 and pulled that same trailer up that hill and did a little better. I now have a 42ft 14K LBS Fifth wheel which I will be taking the next road to get to camp taylor when we go back. LOL. Any questions feel free to ask, I am local in north Jersey!
cuttymcgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:51 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil 179 View Post
Suggestion. Get Google Earth and check out your destination from satellite. I used that a lot when doing fish surveys in unfamiliar areas. (Have seen reports of a few winter deaths, and near deaths, here in Oregon by folks following Google and other apps without question.)

I've been using Google Earth, PRO now, since it came out and another one before that. I never go to a new park without checking the park, area etc. Once you get used to it you'll love it. Not to be used as a GPS but to prepare ahead of time.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:06 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttymcgavin View Post
TTnewbie,
I am familiar with that hill for sure!! I pulled a 41ft TT 9000 LBS with a Ram 1500 up that and just barely made it, then upgraded to a RAM 2500 and pulled that same trailer up that hill and did a little better. I now have a 42ft 14K LBS Fifth wheel which I will be taking the next road to get to camp taylor when we go back. LOL. Any questions feel free to ask, I am local in north Jersey!
My only question is, after barely making it up with your 1500, why would you try it again regardless of the fact you upgraded your truck? The alternate route outlined on the website 6 times is much easier and not out of the way.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:20 PM   #105
Trailer Park Supervisor

His favorite childhood book was The Little Engine That Could
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 1.16.28 PM.png
Views:	21
Size:	295.9 KB
ID:	257080  
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:04 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil 179 View Post
Suggestion. Get Google Earth and check out your destination from satellite. I used that a lot when doing fish surveys in unfamiliar areas. (Have seen reports of a few winter deaths, and near deaths, here in Oregon by folks following Google and other apps without question.)
FINALLY! Someone mentions a real tool: Google Earth. I've used this since it became available and it works. You can actually see what the road looks like (wide paved, narrow paved, gravel, 300 year old stagecoach trail across a goat pasture) AND use Street View to do a virtual drive thru/drive past to evaluate the road generally. Remember this: the GPS is loaded with digitized road traces layered onto maps from the National Mapping Service of the US Geological Survey. In a general sense, they are reasonable but not with respect to road conditions. The people digitizing these road captured everything from older maps, some of which are 30 - 50 years old!! Never, ever, never use these for exact route planning. Get paper maps and VERIFY your route. I have worked with maps for decades and am always amazed when people (especially us "more mature" folks) blindly follow where that stupid GPS takes them. The GPS doesn't have a brain, but you do. If you go astray, it ain't the GPS's fault; it's your fault. To quote Henry Kissinger: Trust but verify! I cannot tell you how many people I've had to help because they blindly followed the soothing voice of the GPS.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:15 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post
FINALLY! Someone mentions a real tool: Google Earth. I've used this since it became available and it works. You can actually see what road looks like AND use Street View to do a virtual drive thru/drive past to evaluate the road generally. Remember this: the GPS is loaded with digitized road traces layered onto maps from the National Mapping Service of the US Geological Survey. In a general sense, they are reasonable but not with respect to road conditions. The people digitizing these road captured everything from older maps, some of which are 30 - 50 years old!! Never, ever, never use these for exact route planning. Get paper maps and VERIFY your route. I have worked with maps for decades and am always amazed when people (especially us "more mature" folks) blindly follow where that stupid GPS takes them. The GPS doesn't have a brain, but you do. If you go astray, it ain't the GPS's fault; it's your fault. To quote Henry Kissinger: Trust but verify! I cannot tell you how many people I've had to help because they blindly follow the soothing voice of the GPS. 🙄

Your welcome!! I didn't spell it all out. It will show the elevation where ever you put you courser. Also it you click on History you can go back to like 30 years ago or whatever it is. I also have lots of marks on it over the years so I don't have to search. One way to find campgrounds is to type in RV Parks near where ever you want to stay. Most all come right up but not all are really CG's. Like the GPS you need to think. I'm 83 and had one of the first handhelds Garmin made. A great tool but no brain!!! Enjoy!!
Old 06-15-2021, 04:34 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrockthecasbah View Post
I was curious too, and checked out his route. The first route that you show is what the OP took: Mount Pleasant road from Rt 94. I looked along this road on google street view, and it's paved, but looks pretty steep with a couple of sections at maybe 15%? Doesn't seem like elevation gain that Rv Trip Wizard shows is correct.
I calculated a 15%-to-20% grade. That's a serious hill.

Also +5 to using Google's Street View where available (in conjunction with satellite view).
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:59 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER17453361 View Post
Your welcome!! I didn't spell it all out. It will show the elevation where ever you put you courser. Also it you click on History you can go back to like 30 years ago or whatever it is. I also have lots of marks on it over the years so I don't have to search. One way to find campgrounds is to type in RV Parks near where ever you want to stay. Most all come right up but not all are really CG's. Like the GPS you need to think. I'm 83 and had one of the first handhelds Garmin made. A great tool but no brain!!! Enjoy!!

As long as I'm in here a couple more things I learned back in the 50's and early 60's. Not sure the first one is true today with automatic transmissions, but it was then. When your pulling a trailer always shift like it's a stick shift so you don't overheat your transmission. You may not need a transmission cooler if your careful. 2nd tip. With a bumper pull, and find yourself spinning the tires on a steep gravel hill, stop and take the tension off your torsion bars putting more weight on the rear axle and you should be able to climb right up in 1st gear. 3rd tip for snow hopefully without a trailer. If your stuck and only one wheel is spinning, slight pressure with the parking brake will stop that wheel, and force the other one to pull you out. A hand brake is a whole lot easier then a foot brake.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:11 PM   #110
KnP

I use Google Maps and a Garmin for back up. Each time I go somewhere I use the Google street view to recon ahead.

Keep in mind, the shortest route is not always the fastest or safest route.

My wife took me one time on our 43ft 5th wheel to some backwards curvy ass country road that only permited my rig to go by. I told her before, avoid such roads... but as usual, "Google Maps told me so".
Old 06-15-2021, 08:20 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER17453361 View Post
I check the RV park layouts before reserving a space. There have been a few that we've said no to because they were too crowded.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:32 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnP View Post
I use Google Maps and a Garmin for back up. Each time I go somewhere I use the Google street view to recon ahead.

Keep in mind, the shortest route is not always the fastest or safest route.

My wife took me one time on our 43ft 5th wheel to some backwards curvy ass country road that only permited my rig to go by. I told her before, avoid such roads... but as usual, "Google Maps told me so".
That's a good time to check Google Earth to see what the road is actually like. Turn 3D Buildings on and the terrain takes a 3D aspect so you can better evaluate "curvy ass roads".
Old 06-16-2021, 06:03 AM   #113

We have an FR3 30ds and wanted to stop at a winery in Alabama. When we arrived, we found that the winery sat at the top of a hill, the driveway running straight up. We called the winery and we're advised not to drive up. We used Google, and photos of the winery didn't show the setting where it was located.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:57 AM   #114

Just to add to the several dozen responses here!

These instructions are on the website of the campground we're spending a week in later this month:
Quote:
DO NOT FOLLOW GPS / GOOGLE MAP DIRECTIONS!!!

Please follow the directions provided. If you have any questions please call us.
(Direct quote, no emphasis added. )

In this case it's not a steep grade or mountain top, the camp is along a creek and the "road bridge" closest to the camp lacks the capacity and width for trailers.

Oh yeah all my GPS (I have 4) and iPhones and Google Maps specify the shortest route is across THAT bridge.

A prudent navigator does not depend on a single source.

Been using GPS (and LORAN-C) for decades mainly at sea or the Great Lakes. Early affordable models only gave positioning in numbers, the chart plotters came later. Since everyone has a cell phone everyone now has a chart plotter albeit with a microscopic screen. There's only a couple of GPS chips, the rest of the system is the chart data and is what we're paying for.

Running redundant GPS receivers I've noted the route logic will sometimes pick a route that's faster by a single minute regardless of road suitability. If my GPS (any of them) tries to send me up a dirt road -- when I know I should not be on one -- I don't take it. One attempt up a dry creek bed that had apparently been a road decades ago was the attention getter.

I typically run an aerial reconnaissance if we're headed anywhere off the state highways. Google Earth is invaluable for this.

-- Chuck
Old 06-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #115

Here's hoping they get carplay working, LONG overdue and still vaporware.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:46 AM   #116

Waze will actually route around/avoid dirt roads. Does anyone know if Google maps does that yet? It would have been nice if trip wizard could figure out how to transfer their maps to Google maps.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:11 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekarr321 View Post
I use a free truckers app called Hammer. So far it has not done me wrong. You enter your vehicle dimensions and weight. It calculates route and you zoom in to choose the truck entrance.
In order to use the Hammer app, it is requiring me to register and give CDL information. I don't have a CDL, but want to use the app for towing a TT.
Is a CDL really need to use the app?
Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:25 PM   #118

4x4 Low

If the OPs Yukon is 4x4, try 4x4 low. Not only will it double your pulling power but it will unload the engine and transmission so it won't have to work so hard and therefore will not overheat.
440scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:35 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440scout View Post
If the OPs Yukon is 4x4, try 4x4 low. Not only will it double your pulling power but it will unload the engine and transmission so it won't have to work so hard and therefore will not overheat.

Dragging a TT up a steep slope even in 4WD low is really not a good option. I agree though that once he got himself into the situation that 4WD should have been selected.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:38 PM   #120

a low bridge almost got me once, not literally but I would have gone 50 miles out of my way if my DW didn't see the warning sign as I was changing hwys. Had to take the long way around. I remember it being by Deming (either N.M. or Utah, don't remember). only reason I remember Deming is that was my late business partner's last name
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote