Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2021, 07:26 PM   #41

I have pulled TT's, 7000# boats, driven Class C motorhome while towing a trailer that weighed almost as much as the Rv (that is why we changed to the class A), driven Class A, towing similar trailer and now we are on our second fiver and have never been checked for weight.

C&J
CraigJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:27 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
I've seen in different threads and forums, comments about how the weight police could ticket you if you are overloaded on your payload. My curiosity is getting the better of me and I have to ask a couple of questions.

My questions are
1) Have you ever been pulled over or had to enter a weigh station to go across scales to determine if you are overweight with an RV? Yes or No
2) If so what kind of TV/Motorhome where you driving and pulling what (Toad, TT or 5th)
3) What was the result of your having to do so?

To be fair, back around Oct 2014, driving my Avalanche pulling my TT on I-80 east of Lincoln, NE there was an electronic sign on the side of the road about a mile or so before the entrance to the weigh station. As I was passing it, it illuminated saying PICKUP w/Trailer must enter. So I did so, but I was routed immediately to the non-scale side which was the pass through lane with no stopping at the station. My DW looked up and was confused as to why I was going through the weigh station. Told her was instructed to do so. Only thing that resulted was driving through the pass through lane.

I have traveled past that weigh station several times before this encounter with the same setup and several times since with my new 2500 HD and 5th wheel since, but have never been asked to enter other than this one time. I think they thought maybe I was commercial hauling trailers.

So, if you don't mind, have you ever had to weigh while traveling in your RV, what were you driving/towing and what was the result?

This is only to be taken lightly (no bashing), just how many of us have had a LEO stop us and weigh our RV's?

Take care and be safe.

We got the same message in Florida and pulled into the weigh station. The DOT on duty said it is meant only for pickups that are pulling a trailer commercial trailer. They were very friendly. I was guessing I was the only one not in the know because other travel travels were driving right past the station.
Accountingphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #43
Yukon_Bill

Over weight

Quote:
I've seen in different threads and forums, comments about how the weight police could ticket you if you are overloaded on your payload. My curiosity is getting the better of me and I have to ask a couple of questions.

My questions are
1) Have you ever been pulled over or had to enter a weigh station to go across scales to determine if you are overweight with an RV? Yes or No
2) If so what kind of TV/Motorhome where you driving and pulling what (Toad, TT or 5th)

To be fair, back around Oct 2014, driving my Avalanche pulling my TT on I-80 east of Lincoln, NE there was an electronic sign on the side of the road about a mile or so before the entrance to the weigh station. As I was passing it, it illuminated saying PICKUP w/Trailer must enter. So I did so, but I was routed immediately to the non-scale side which was the pass through lane with no stopping at the station. My DW looked up and was confused as to why I was going through the weigh station. Told her was instructed to do so. Only thing that resulted was driving through the pass through lane.

I have traveled past that weigh station several times before this encounter with the same setup and several times since with my new 2500 HD and 5th wheel since, but have never been asked to enter other than this one time. I think they thought maybe I was commercial hauling trailers.

So, if you don't mind, have you ever had to weigh while traveling in your RV, what were you driving/towing and what was the result?

This is only to be taken lightly (no bashing), just how many of us have had a LEO stop us and weigh our RV's?

Take care and be safe.
I just have to put a pennyís worth in. First, LEOís for the most part are enforcing the Laws that elected officials enacted, donít always agree. However, when a LEO pulls someone over its normally for some violation or suspected. Theyíre looking out fro your safety and all others that happen to be on that particular route. Iíve seen trailers being towed where my first comments were, what an idiot. Trailers overweight and vehicle too small for the job. We owe it to our families and loved ones to keep them safe at all timesó includes when traveling. Last year I was towing my 5th wheel FR TH and felt it was a strain. I had my rig, TV Ram 2500, two bikes, and all fluids topped off. What I learned was I was about 800 lbs overweight on rear axle. Also, learned if you are overweight and involved in an accident Insurance companies can refuse to pay, also cause for a ticket. Itís better to know your rigs and stay under the max limits. Safer more responsible Happy Campers. Ask, yourself, Self how many wrecks and broken down trailers have you seen over the years?
Yukonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:50 PM   #44

IMO not legal advice not responsible for spike strips or tires shot out.
1.State DOT in Arkansas that would be the Arkansas Highway police not to be confused with the Arkansas State police (even though the Highway Police has the same powers) primary mission is safety and weight of Commercial Vehicles. Second they can and will stop any speeders (excessive usally), unsafe vehicles to include RV'S of any kind, impaired drivers (DWI etc).
2. If the Arkansas State Police observe a possible unsafe overweight they can stop you and call the Highway Police which have the scales and tape measure.
3. A RV can be considered Commercial if it has all the advertising decals covering it. Check it with DOT and your insurance.
4. Disclaimer this is my opinion and not legal advice.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:50 PM   #45

I have seen the DOT in Indiana pull over an RV. Guy was pulling some kind of TT with a Chevy Blazer. Made him take it to a truck stop and wait for a larger truck to tow the TT. This is the same DOT area that also pulls over trucks pulling gooseneck trailers to make sure they are not plated over CDL requirements.
KB9VBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:52 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark W. Griswold View Post
Is there anyone on here that is familiar with the insurance industry?

Something worth mentioning, is that if you are in an accident. Once an accident occurs, I would not be surprised if an insurance company would investigate the vehicles and their weights.
If overweight, this could result in a liability claim or a denial of payment.

For this reason, I would never risk being overweight. Not worth losing everything I own.
This is too an urban legend. I have never heard of an insurance company denying a claim based on overweight. Very hard to nearly impossible to prove on their part.

Maybe there should be a thread on this. Any private RVs ever been denied in an insurance claim .

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:53 PM   #47

Pulled over and weighed in Wyoming. Tanks also dipped looking for red fuel. I have a 100gal transfer tank in my bed they seemed more interested in what was in that than anything. Still ran me across portable scales though. My truck (2019 Chev 3500) is registered for 12k gross though so I had no cares.
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:03 PM   #48

Quote:

My questions are

Take care and be safe.
USDOT regs specifically state vehicles in commerce. Meaning for the regs to apply to a RV you would have to be making money with your RV. There are state regulations that apply to axle weight, etc. So as long as you're in an RV and not in commerce, and not exceeding a state weight regulation, your fine.
CB1753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:17 PM   #49
World Wide Wanderer

I have never been stopped in my RV or towing an RV. I usually weigh my rig prior to heading out, I use the scales at the local county dump about 2 miles down the road. I have been messing with RVs for over 40 years. Company trucks are a whole different story, I have been pulled over in them several times, my company has a problem following FMSCA and DOT regs in several states.

In NC it is my understanding that you have to have enough weight on the plate to cover the truck and the trailer, exceptions being MH and passenger vehicles. Pickups have to have "weighted" plates. The basic plate is only good up to 5,999# YMMV

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #50

I donít believe the insurance denying. They can remove you from their insurance after the accident.

Have they not insured someone who is texting on the phone and there is a serious accident?

Have they not insured a drunk driver?

You could come up with a zillion reasons to deny a claim with that logic.

No they make life miserable for 7 years after. But they pay the claim.

And the other thing is that being overweight in an accident is probably not the primary reason for any accident. Iíd bet 95% of the time.

I have an absolutely great example of payload rating Ford versus Ram and I believe the folks who say not to worry about payload but stay under your tire axle ratings are giving the best thought. But each one has to figure it out for yourself.

Iíve had a Class A CDL since 1988. It was called a chauffeurís license at one time. Iím more worried in a legal proceeding that they would hold me to a higher standard because I hold a Class A than a driver w a normal operators license.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:50 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark W. Griswold View Post
Is there anyone on here that is familiar with the insurance industry?

Something worth mentioning, is that if you are in an accident. Once an accident occurs, I would not be surprised if an insurance company would investigate the vehicles and their weights.
If overweight, this could result in a liability claim or a denial of payment.

For this reason, I would never risk being overweight. Not worth losing everything I own.
Another urban legend. Why on earth would insurance companies take the time to figure out weights to deny coverage when the police do all the legwork when you crash while drunk and yet the insurance pays out for the damage caused by a CONVICTED DUI driver.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:58 PM   #52

Iím in N.C. And itís my understanding you license your truck for weight you tow excluding RVís. I have a boat 4500 lb and a cargo trailer 7000 lb (gvwr) so I have it registered for the 7000 lb trailer. My fiver is 18,000 lb gvwr when I got my plate the clerk told me I didnít need the rv weight included. Also I believe in Maryland ALL vehicles over 10,000 lb must enter scales Iím sure most RVís are over that.
poofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:06 PM   #53

So hereís my example. A friend of mine has a 2019 Ford 3500 long bed crew cab XLT truck and he is towing a fifth wheel. He has 3400 lb payload. Might be 12,400 on GVWR.

I have a 2020 Ram 3500 long bed crew cab Longhorn truck with a 4156 lb payload. 12,300 lb GVWR.

So hereís the deal, his Ford tlires are rated for 3415 lbs each, the Ram is 3640 lbs. So on the rear, thatís 450 lbs difference.

He has the big Ford fuel tank, for ease of calculation letís say 52 gallons. My Ram is 32 gallons, ridiculous Ram would even put this on a 3500 truck. So 20 gallons at 7 lbs per gallon, letís say another 150 lbs (including the extra tank weight).

So now you are total 600 lbs and that brings the two trucks to within 156 lbs. Not hard to imagine we could come up with another 156 lbs difference between the two trucks

So on the surface, one would say, me included, but that Ram - look at that payload difference! And I bet Ram sells a lot of trucks for that reason.

When really the trucks are probably very equal in tow capacity and the tire ratings are the big deal. Those axles are rated at what 11,500 lbs?

Point is that payload is not written in concrete like some say. I recently came on a Ford (same truck as the two above) with the artificial 10,000 lb GVWR, because of state regs. I think that was Maryland or Pennsylvania.

So whatís the prudent RVer to do? Stay within your tire ratings. Keep your rig in great condition, drive safely.

It backs up the anecdotal evidence that some say the LEO will look at tire ratings, if you are ever pulled over. That rating is the one main look at the capacity of the truck.

Now donít get crazy w me and say you can put e rated tires on a F150 and tow a 16000 lb fiver and be legal. Maybe itís been done. Heck people will do anything. The above isnít addressing the ridiculous.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:13 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio_john View Post
Never! Have never heard of nor seen anyone either! Other than the ďprosĒ on here warning youíll get ticketed, get life in jail, and are just plain unsafe to not only yourself but everyone on the the road if youíre 5lbs over! Oh, and you have to have a 10 ton truck to pull that pop up because the trailer can never weigh more than the truck, (thatís just unsafe) plus youíll be hauling 10 kids, 4 dogs, 6 friends, gas grill, 14 bikes, 3 cords of wood, 4 canopies, 100 gal of water, 2 generators,..oh, and another kitchen sink..just in case!! all the while doing 70-75 mph! Then blame the blow out on the China bomb tires!! LMAO!! Gotta love the weight police on here! The real police just wave and wish that they were going camping!
I just caught this one. What da hayel man? You left out granny and grand pa .

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:59 PM   #55

Quote:

My questions are

Take care and be safe.
All this talk about weight fees. I hope as h*ll my governor doesn't have somebody reading up on how to tax more.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:05 PM   #56

like everyone else so far, never seen anything other than what are obviously commercial trailers and box trucks pulled over by the DOT trucks.

i've put over 5k miles on my current vehicle and the current and previous pop-ups (every where from ME to seneca NY with home in CT)
i use my Crosstrek to tow the campers i've had and never got stopped and actually got more than a few eyebrows raised on how well it pulls them even on unfavorable terrain (snow, mud, overland)

never been stopped for anything other than DUI checkpoints while towing with it.

and for reference if there was ever a combo that "looks" like it isn't going to work a Crosstrek and either a 22 ft 2218SL camplite or a 26+ft rockwood 232esp would probably be it considering the trailers are longer, wider and taller than the vehicle itself.

as for the actual weights though, the vehicle comes in at about 4k lbs (added front and rear hitches and tube steel cargo rack the whole length of the roof) and the campers have rung in at ~3200lbs for the camplite and just shy of 4k lbs on the 232esp with a 700lbs 650 v-twin atv and gas tanks on the front cargo area.
Mechcondrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:58 AM   #57

Happened to me once

We had the same thing happen to us on one of our trips. I donít know why our rig got the signal to pull in. My guess is that it read our EZ-Pass transponder.?.

As we were approaching the scales we got the indicator to pull in and get weighed. I didnít pull in because I knew from this forum that itís only for commercial vehicles (except for border crossings, etc.), and the commercial drivers can get mad if you cause them to have to wait in line longer.

I donít worry because I weigh our rig at the local CAT scale and always have a scale ticket handy. The only time I was worried about being overweight was in NY we were following friends on our way to Seneca. They donít have a dedicated RV GPS and were using their cell phone GPS because they knew a shortcut. We found ourselves on a long stretch of road with a weight limit of only somewhere around 10,000 lb. (canít remember the exact number) so both our rigs were over the weight limit for that stretch of road.
Swaggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:29 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
This is too an urban legend. I have never heard of an insurance company denying a claim based on overweight. Very hard to nearly impossible to prove on their part.

Maybe there should be a thread on this. Any private RVs ever been denied in an insurance claim .

Exactly. The VAST majority of accidents are actually ďnegligentsĒ where a law was very clearly broken. Speeding, DUI, failure to stop, following too close, distracted driving and so on. All illegal, but insurance pays. And has anyone known of someone being sued for causing an accident? I know a lot of people that have been involved in accidents- sometimes at fault and other times not. Have never heard of anyone suing or being sued. Well, outside of one person that was involved in a wreck caused by a semi driver and my understanding is that the insurance company actually paid that, not the driver or trucking company.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:12 AM   #59

Insurance Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

Correct. Pretty much the primary purpose of vehicle liability insurance is to cover bad behavior by the insured, ranging from drunk/reckless driving to driving an unsafe (overloaded) vehicle. An insurer's failure to pay such damages would defeat the purpose for requiring insurance. As to collision coverage (for the insured's property), an insurer could put in exceptions, but I've never seen or heard of that for unsafe vehicles or overloading.

For bad insurer behavior perspective, note that until March 23, 2010, health care insurers in the US routinely canceled your policy if you got sick and often refused to pay anything by voiding policies for specious technicalities, sometimes after premium payments for many years.

Twenty states and the previous administration sued and asked the US Supreme Court to strike down the law that prohibits canceling your policy for sickness or voiding policies to refuse paying claims. The same law prohibits denial of coverage for pre-existing conditions or price-gouging for same.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:27 AM   #60

I've been pulling travel trailers and 5th wheels for over 50 years and never been pulled over in any state or Canada. I did get a message at a weigh in motion on I-40 once, but ignored it and no one bothered me.
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight