Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2021, 01:42 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
This is the real regulation in IL for truck plates. "The law requires that all second division vehicles (trucks/trailers/buses) be registered, and the registered weight must cover the weight of the vehicle plus the load. This is found in 625 ILCS 5/3-401D. As stated above, there are many different kinds of registration available to owners of second division vehicles, however the most common found on trucks in Illinois are regular flat weight plates with a letter designation. The list of these plates are found in 625 ILCS 5/3-815."

I have been debating on getting a "C" plate when the Sectary of State for IL offices get back to normal and being open full time after the PANDIMIC is over.

I can never get the correct answer from the State if pulling a 5er for personnel use requires a higher truck licenses plate in IL on the truck. I was told by the Sectary of State Police that the driver licenses most corresponded to the GCWR of truck and trailer when towing. Thus if you have a truck which has a GWR of 10,000 LBS and a Trailer GWR over 16,001 LBS, than you will need a NON-CDL Class A to be legal in IL.
First thing to know, RV plated trailers are exempted from FMCSA/USDOT regulations. You pay IL registration fees based on the trailers weight, so it is not included in the tow vehicles registration.

Second, you MUST register the vehicle based on its GVWR to be legal in IL. This would be B class plates for anything 8000 and under, then it jumps to D class plates between 8,001 and 12,000 pounds for up to F350. 12,0001-16,000 are F plates, that is for F450 and up. C plates are available, but you have to visit the DMV and request them, a dealer cannot register them. They are for 8,001-10,000, so if you have an F250 or 2500 series with 10,000 restricted GVWR, you can apply for them and save $38. Not worth it if you ask me, if you decide to upgrade, you can't transfer them.

Third, and this is where IL and County Mounties get you every time, you MUST have them safety inspected. Anything over 8,000 pounds must be inspected. IL is cracking down on registrations and safety inspections. If you have B plates on a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup, and they spot it, you will be pulled over and you will be ticketed. If you get caught with B plates on a 1 ton AND you are hauling something heavy, well, to answer the OP's question, YES you will be fined for being over "registered" weight, and this DOES include an RV. Key note here is registered weight! You may be well under all ratings of the tow vehicle and trailer, but the fact the truck, empty, can easily weigh more than what the B plate is rated at, it's overweight just sitting there empty. Of course this only happens if the LEO is paying attention to the plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markt1993 View Post
I own a trucking company and at times have to drive semi’s myself to various parts of the country. I also have a camper. Once (in the semi) I was pulled in for a inspection, in think it was in IN. As I’m in the building a camper crosses the scale. So I asked the officer if they ever worry with RV’ers being over weight. He said the only time they stop RV’s is if it’s obviously over weight. His example was “if I see a Ford Ranger pulling a 35’ fifth wheel, he’s going to be pulled over”. He also said that he does note RV’s but only for safety stuff. He said if he’s passing a bumper pull camper he’ll glance to see if all tires are inflated, and a quick check at the hitch area. He says not for find reasons, but safety.
Here is the kicker though (from the same officer) he said the real issue is if you have a accident. So if your overweight and loose control and hurt/kill someone, and that person gets one of those traffic lawyers and he can prove you were over weight you’ll have issues.
Tractor time with Tim has a video series where a friend of his works for the Indiana SP, and is in the weight division. He won't go looking for overweight RV's, but he does do spot checks while driving and has pulled a few over for safety violations. Sounds like you may have encountered him, that's pretty much what the guy said on the video too.

While I would say 98% of us will never have a "weight" encounter, there are a few who do, and mainly because, well, they deserved it.

A lot of states use weigh in motion, and I know along the I-80 corridor in Nebraska, they do pull the large RV's in occasionally, probably because they may suspect the tow vehicle may be overloaded, it is hard at times to determine if it is a 2500 or 3500 when they are SRW, and the WIM scale reports a heavy axle. Had one in front of me get called in while I was allowed to pass. It was a massive Montana being pulled by a SRW GM. Just a guess at the reasoning, but I did see it happen, and there were no DOT tags on the truck either. If I saw DOT tags, wouldn't have even brought it up since they are supposed to weigh.

The final thought, Insurance. IF you are in a wreck, and a serious injury or worse happens, whether you are at fault or not, AND you are over weight, the consequences are not something I would want. Your liability isn't criminal, but civil, but if a Prosecutor wants to make a name of themselves, well, it "could" turn criminal (but most unlikely). Here's an example I came across from years ago from a news article, have not been able to track down where I found it, but it was out there.

A couple had converted their small SUV into one of those that has the hitch frame and was towing a small TT. You know the type I refer to, not meant to tow, but some guy adds a frame under it with a hitch and tells them it can tow a travel trailer safely. Well any way, they were coming down a hill and had the right of way, and someone pulled out in front of them and he broadsided the car, killing his wife. While he had the right of way, it was determined that since the vehicle was never meant to tow a travel trailer, it did not have the means to properly stop in time to avoid the crash. He was charged with negligent homicide for the death of his wife. Charges were later dropped by the DA as they should have never happened. What was the underlying note here was that they were using an improper tow vehicle that contributed to the death. It is a true case, I just don't remember where I read it.

Anyway, in cases like this, insurance will pay the court costs and defense if there is a civil case with injuries being over weight, but once it is said and done, if the court rules against you, expect to be dropped like a hot rock, and good luck finding insurance at a reasonable rate afterwards.

The reason you have a hard time finding anything about this, usually is because majority settle out of court, and since these are Civil trials, their records are not for public views.

One other thing to point out. Weight regulations are set in stone, BUT for Commercial vehicles. Weights which we as RV's will never see unless we have a special rig built using a Semi, and even then, would be hard to violate. The Bridge laws are what they go by. There is a set distance between axles that weight cannot exceed, there are set weights for single axle and double axles that cannot be exceeded, that are set in stone regardless of how much weight the vehicle is designed to carry, which for semi's is quite a bit more than the laws allow. We would never need to worry about them, and the fact that pickups in general have varying GVWR, no one would know exactly how much GVW your rig can carry without pulling you over to check. That does not happen. There is no book that the weight police have specifying every trucks GVWR, so being pulled over to the scales is not one of those things that happens to RV'ers, only those that are clearly overweight on an axle get pulled over.

Now here's the thing, SP/HP are trained and very observant when it comes to load on tires and can spot an overweight and some are so good they can tell you within 100 pounds how much over they are. Yes some really ARE that good. Back in the day, late 80's when I was driving, I had an overload that I was aware of, and sure as snot sticks to glass, I got nailed. He took one look at my rear tandoms and new it was over. Yeah, $350 fine, and had to remove a bunk of sticks to get legal.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #62

Regarding Bhrava post #61 above---

These high-cost state requirements for registering high-GVWR trucks are why an F250 is capable of carrying a lot more than its rated payload. The published payload ("legal" payload in some jurisdictions) is kept artificially low to save owners state tax money and avoid burdensome state regulations.

This is why it is totally safe, in some cases, to significantly exceed the rated payload of some trucks. This is a factor the unofficial "weight police" will not acknowledge.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #63

The weight police don't find you.... you find the weight police

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tt.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	247159  
swe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:00 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post

These high cost state requirements for registering high GVWR trucks are why an F250 is capable of carrying a lot more than its rated payload. The published payload ("legal" payload in some jurisdictions) is kept artificially low to save owners state tax money and avoid burdensome state regulations.

This is why it is totally safe, in some cases, to significantly exceed the rated payload of some trucks. This is a factor the unofficial "weight police" will not acknowledge.
Truth! You can special order an F250(or any 2500 series) with a reduced GVWR. All the manufacturer does is mark down the GVWR on the tag. Same components underneath, only the sticker changes.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:08 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post

These high-cost state requirements for registering high-GVWR trucks are why an F250 is capable of carrying a lot more than its rated payload. The published payload ("legal" payload in some jurisdictions) is kept artificially low to save owners state tax money and avoid burdensome state regulations.

Why some folks look for 'reasoning' to assign a capability above and beyond what the manufacturer assigns is a head scratcher for me...

I can go on any Chevy dealer's lot in the area and drive off with a 2500 series truck with a GVWR over 11,000lbs (reasonably confident that number is 11,600lbs tops) I can also get one at 10,000lbs. Two different classes of vehicles with the same truck.

Interesting to me that one manufacturer will limit all their 250 series trucks to under 10k and another will go much higher...it must be about the weight police or maybe what the vehicles are capable of...
Old 02-02-2021, 04:40 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
Why some folks look for 'reasoning' to assign a capability above and beyond what the manufacturer assigns is a head scratcher for me...

I can go on any Chevy dealer's lot in the area and drive off with a 2500 series truck with a GVWR over 11,000lbs (reasonably confident that number is 11,600lbs tops) I can also get one at 10,000lbs. Two different classes of vehicles with the same truck.

Interesting to me that one manufacturer will limit all their 250 series trucks to under 10k and another will go much higher...it must be about the weight police or maybe what the vehicles are capable of...
10,650 Gas Long bed, 11,350 Diesel, 4WD. Might as well get a 1 ton since you would be paying 1 ton plates. F250 is 10,000, with an option to reduce GVWR for registration purposes, to 9,000.

Most states use a flat weight fee based on GVWR, that's why. Also keep in mind that Ford has the F450 model, something the other two do not have, again for states that rate the registrations based on a tier system. Unless of course you don't mind paying the state $342 a year for plates, when you can do with $248 a year with a lighter truck.

Then again, why does Gm bother with the 2500 when the 3500 is only 900 pounds more GVWR? OH, thats right, the Fords weigh less and carry more payload due to the lighter aluminum body. I forgot about that. Nevermind then.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:02 PM   #67

I think a vehicle with a gvwr of 10001# is classified as dot driving when going interstate and in commerce. But if the gvwr is 10000# or less it is bot subject to dot regulations when in commerce.

When not in commerce this is not the case.
Randy-2198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:05 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
10,650 Gas Long bed, 11,350 Diesel, 4WD. Might as well get a 1 ton since you would be paying 1 ton plates. F250 is 10,000, with an option to reduce GVWR for registration purposes, to 9,000.

Most states use a flat weight fee based on GVWR, that's why. Also keep in mind that Ford has the F450 model, something the other two do not have, again for states that rate the registrations based on a tier system. Unless of course you don't mind paying the state $342 a year for plates, when you can do with $248 a year with a lighter truck.

Then again, why does Gm bother with the 2500 when the 3500 is only 900 pounds more GVWR? OH, thats right, the Fords weigh less and carry more payload due to the lighter aluminum body. I forgot about that. Nevermind then.
Wow! I Didn't mean to light up the fanboy switch...

The Chevy 2500's go over 11500lbs GVWR...look it up but not really my point.

What is it you folks have to gain when you come on here and talk about your truck being more capable than what the manufacturer says? Is this about a shortcoming because you really wanted a 350 series truck? A hope to influence some new guy that comes on here looking for answers?

There is nothing stopping Ford from going above 10k GVWR except Ford. Ford doesn't have an issue downgrading the sticker on models...why would they not offer the truck with its full capability and allow a downgrade on the 250?
Old 02-02-2021, 05:34 PM   #69

Quote:
C plates are available, but you have to visit the DMV and request them, a dealer cannot register them.
Illinois dealer registered me with C plates on a F350 in December.
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:18 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
Wow! I Didn't mean to light up the fanboy switch...

The Chevy 2500's go over 11500lbs GVWR...look it up but not really my point.

What is it you folks have to gain when you come on here and talk about your truck being more capable than what the manufacturer says? Is this about a shortcoming because you really wanted a 350 series truck? A hope to influence some new guy that comes on here looking for answers?

There is nothing stopping Ford from going above 10k GVWR except Ford. Ford doesn't have an issue downgrading the sticker on models...why would they not offer the truck with its full capability and allow a downgrade on the 250?
Some states CHARGE more for registration on a 3/4 ton IF the GVWR is over 10,000 pounds. FORD gives the option to derate GVWR so you don't have to spend more on registration fees, and some states allow up to 10,000 GVWR on non second class plates.

So what if the GM 3/4 ton has higher GVWR, the F250 still has more Payload at a lower GVWR, and that is what I pointed out at the end. No fanboy talk, just facts.

Quote:
I think a vehicle with a gvwr of 10001# is classified as dot driving when going interstate and in commerce. But if the gvwr is 10000# or less it is bot subject to dot regulations when in commerce.
Correct, anything over 10,001 is a class 3 Medium-Duty Truck. It falls under the Commercial class. Depending on state DMV, up to 10,000 is considered light duty AKA passenger rated. Above that, they fall under a different licensing class, which can also include the drivers license in some states.

This is important in particular to small businesses and how they operate. If they have light duty pickups, under 10,000 GVWR, they are exempt from federal motor carrier regulations, 1 pound more and they are bound to the same standards as Semi drivers in respect to maintenance logs, drivers log books, weigh stations, etc.

Hence another reason that Ford rates the 3/4 ton the way they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoulter View Post
Illinois dealer registered me with C plates on a F350 in December.
Might have changed since 2019 when I bought my F350, C wasn't available at that time via a dealer, only the DMV.

I noticed after posting you have an F350, you are aware that plate is only good for 10,000 pounds.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:36 PM   #71

Quote:
Some states CHARGE more for registration on a 3/4 ton IF the GVWR is over 10,000 pounds. FORD gives the option to derate GVWR so you don't have to spend more on registration fees, and some states allow up to 10,000 GVWR on non second class plates.

My state doesn't charge more, they are classed different but its 120 bucks up to 12000.

Ford doesn't have a 250 above 10k. Why not? Ford allows derating. They allow derating of the 250 below 10k. But they don't have a 250 rated above 10k. Considering the allowance of derating why not offer an F250 at its 'full' capability for those that can take advantage?

You are remarking to a statement I quoted of another user who was defending exceeding the payload rating of a vehicle. IMO talk of exceeding payloads sends the wrong message to folks with very little knowledge who come here seeking information. Its like saying a 250 series truck is the same as a 350 series truck minus a couple leaf springs...and that is simply not always the case.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:42 PM   #72

FORD gives the option to derate GVWR so you don't have to spend more on registration fees,

So Ford allows you to lie on your registration to save money??? How is that possible, and why can’t Chevy and Ram do the same.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:44 PM   #73

I think we’re getting off topic, more about weight police and getting pulled over.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:45 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
FORD gives the option to derate GVWR so you don't have to spend more on registration fees,

So Ford allows you to lie on your registration to save money??? How is that possible, and why can’t Chevy and Ram do the same.
I don't know about Ram but both Ford and Chevy will let you pick certain GVWR's for the exact same truck.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:01 PM   #75

So you can lower it to save money but exceed it to tow a heavier RV?
Who changes the door sticker if you want it lower ?
Old 02-02-2021, 07:30 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
So you can lower it to save money but exceed it to tow a heavier RV?
Who changes the door sticker if you want it lower ?
I don't know if some states can have a dealer change the loading sticker or not. I'd be willing to bet the state doesn't even mess with the sticker because they don't care as long as the vehicle is getting used for the tax that was payed for the registration.

I've seen on here about folks having a 350 series truck registered at 10k...so a truck can be considerably more capable than the registration...Getting caught using that truck above its registered weight but under its payload limits is certainly problematic because it involves the state not getting their money and they like their money.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:55 PM   #77

Good thread! How about the truck pulling a 5th that was designed to pull the weight but since the truck only pulls 5 times a year the very expensive weighted tags were not purchased instead opted for the least weight DMV would sell for the truck. Anyone hear of getting ticketed for that since it’s used very infrequently ?
gkochel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:02 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkochel View Post
Good thread! How about the truck pulling a 5th that was designed to pull the weight but since the truck only pulls 5 times a year the very expensive weighted tags were not purchased instead opted for the least weight DMV would sell for the truck. Anyone hear of getting ticketed for that since it’s used very infrequently ?
If it was stopped while pulling more than the registered weight it would be ticketed. But again IF stopped. It does not matter if it tows once or 100 times a year.

My truck is registered for 22000 lbs weight of truck and trailer for our state. Actual loaded weight (approx.)

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:36 PM   #79

Have never got a second look from any LEO's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20210202_19_28_46_Pro (2).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	247170  

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:46 PM   #80

Here's my weight police story. I have a Ram 3500 Cummins and was towing a 24 ft enclosed race car trailer on I-40 in NC. My truck tag is registered for 12000 lbs and I knew I was over but hey I've never been stopped before so why not? Besides its a huge price jump to go above a 12k tag in NC. Anyways the SHP stopped me and said he was training a new officer on roadside weighs. I knew then I was in for it as he was gonna likely go by the book. Lucky me. Needless to say I was 18000 lbs total so they wrote me a civil citation for 5500 lbs over (first 500 is free). There's no traffic ticket or insurance points for that type of violation. The fine ended up being about $200 if I remember correctly. I also wrote an entertaining letter to accompany my check that broke down how the state lost money on that stop based on 2 officers hourly wage, two Tahoe's running for 30 mins AC full blast, admin costs to process my ticket, etc. It was entertaining and everyone got a laugh out of it. Oh and while I was being weighed, an S-10 pickup pulling a little 5th wheel passed us just gettin it headed towards the mountains. Bumper draggin. Can't make that up. Short story - it's way cheaper to get an overweight ticket ever 2-3 years than it is to buy a legal weight tag. For me here in NC a12k tag vs 18k tag is nearly double the yearly fee.

Tags
weight