Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2021, 05:02 PM   #101

To answer the OP my simple answer is no. I doubt anyone has been pulled for a weight check unless they looked like it need to be done or they asked for it doing something else to attract the attention.

Were lucky to be in this country and to do any of this. Ford, Chevy, Ram whatever truck, a little over, or a little under weight. Shucks I got a pick up truck and it safely tows my camper. I don't look over weight and it all goes down the road just fine and safe. I maintain all of my equipment as best you can. I'm only 210 lbs. under weight pulling what I have and if I ever did go over 200 lbs. or so I won't care. That Police man has never even looked my way cause I don't drive to fast and I don't drive to slow. I don't change a lot of lanes. I highly doubt in any state I go through they will do more than glance at me and it will be out of envy cause they want to do what I'm doing. GOING CAMPING.

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:08 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
This is the real regulation in IL for truck plates. "The law requires that all second division vehicles (trucks/trailers/buses) be registered, and the registered weight must cover the weight of the vehicle plus the load. This is found in 625 ILCS 5/3-401D. As stated above, there are many different kinds of registration available to owners of second division vehicles, however the most common found on trucks in Illinois are regular flat weight plates with a letter designation. The list of these plates are found in 625 ILCS 5/3-815."

I have been debating on getting a "C" plate when the Sectary of State for IL offices get back to normal and being open full time after the PANDIMIC is over.

I can never get the correct answer from the State if pulling a 5er for personnel use requires a higher truck licenses plate in IL on the truck. I was told by the Sectary of State Police that the driver licenses most corresponded to the GCWR of truck and trailer when towing. Thus if you have a truck which has a GWR of 10,000 LBS and a Trailer GWR over 16,001 LBS, than you will need a NON-CDL Class A to be legal in IL.
Regarding Drivers License I was told the same 26,000 lb. GROSS COMBINED Rule. I KNEW MY CDL- B was good for any weight but limited to 10K trailer. Surprised how hard it was to get a clear read on the law but SEVERAL STATE OFFICES LATTER same answer 26K was good BUT over that a NON-CDL-A would be required. My two gross weights are 400lbs. Below 26K so I'm good. Glad I decided against the Dually Truck or I would need to upgrade.

The license plate thing is New to me so I hope Illinois is NOT like James Storm described needing truck licensed for combined gross weight. Something I'll have to check for my own peace of mind.

PAST- 2012 Coachman Leprechaun 319DSF w/TOAD -2011 Chevrolet Equinox 4-cyl. AWD, 2008 Springdale 266RL, 2002 Outback 25FB
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:12 PM   #103

I've been "hearing" of weight police/CHP out near Glamis dunes pulling over 40'+ toy haulers being towed by SRW trucks, but never anyone has said, "i got pulled over", etc. it's always hear say.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:42 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcclocklin View Post
Hello from very cold Edmonton!...Just wondering what you mean about people getting measured for length?. I tow a 40 ft cedar creek with my Chev 3500 HD. If there is a maximum length what would it be?. Thanks
That may depend on the individual state. I believe WA state is a limit of 65 feet overall TV+TT.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
I've been "hearing" of weight police/CHP out near Glamis dunes pulling over 40'+ toy haulers being towed by SRW trucks, but never anyone has said, "i got pulled over", etc. it's always hear say.
Based on what I've seen in that part of CA, those toy haulers may well have pulled over due to speed. Whenever I pass through that part I can be cruising along at 60 and pickups pulling toy haulers blow by doing 10-15 mph more.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:59 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambeaver4 View Post
Here's my weight police story. I have a Ram 3500 Cummins and was towing a 24 ft enclosed race car trailer on I-40 in NC. My truck tag is registered for 12000 lbs and I knew I was over but hey I've never been stopped before so why not? Besides its a huge price jump to go above a 12k tag in NC. Anyways the SHP stopped me and said he was training a new officer on roadside weighs. I knew then I was in for it as he was gonna likely go by the book. Lucky me. Needless to say I was 18000 lbs total so they wrote me a civil citation for 5500 lbs over (first 500 is free). There's no traffic ticket or insurance points for that type of violation. The fine ended up being about $200 if I remember correctly. I also wrote an entertaining letter to accompany my check that broke down how the state lost money on that stop based on 2 officers hourly wage, two Tahoe's running for 30 mins AC full blast, admin costs to process my ticket, etc. It was entertaining and everyone got a laugh out of it. Oh and while I was being weighed, an S-10 pickup pulling a little 5th wheel passed us just gettin it headed towards the mountains. Bumper draggin. Can't make that up. Short story - it's way cheaper to get an overweight ticket ever 2-3 years than it is to buy a legal weight tag. For me here in NC a12k tag vs 18k tag is nearly double the yearly fee.
That logic doesn't work everywhere, here in PA they would have "parked you until your had a properly registered truck coming to get the trailer.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:02 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post
I think that the possibility of being preemptively pulled over for a weight violation is a red herring.

My concern would be being involved in a crash with another party while overweight, and having a savvy attorney take me to the cleaners (not to mention that towing overweight is just a bad idea for a lot of reasons).

No way in hell I'm towing overweight...the stakes are just too high.
All it takes is getting pulled over for speeding!
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:01 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by koller1509 View Post
That logic doesn't work everywhere, here in PA they would have "parked you until your had a properly registered truck coming to get the trailer.

This.

6k lbs over registered weight is $587.50 fine.

18k lbs plates costs $24.50 more a year than 1-k lbs plates.

I have to run 18k plates on my f150 as Iím around 13k lbs depending on what Iím taking with me.

The flip side is I get pulled over every now and then for no rear plate.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:07 AM   #109

I'd call this one

Years camping 50+,
Days camping in 2021, 120 and counting.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:02 AM   #110
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Chaos View Post
I'd call this one

Agreed. 100+ posts and I have yet to see anyone actually answer "yes" to the question posed in the title.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:18 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Agreed. 100+ posts and I have yet to see anyone actually answer "yes" to the question posed in the title.
Post 47...
BigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:53 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Grumpy7159 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight