Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 08:29 AM   #21
Wrench Turnin Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I actually keep a sacrifice plastic male fitting in my "hookups" bag and "fix it" for them. Safer, I think, than trying to use the fresh water tank for flush water.
I have a separate hose for flushing that I carry with me, just remove the cut hose, flush, and go

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Old 11-12-2017, 09:00 AM   #22

We're on our 4th camper, 2 class C and 2 TT. Have used the GEO method since day one. When not camping we keep about 5 gl. in the black tank. We don't have any problems related to water, waste, plumbing etc.... Second in command has a very efficient system for the dump process, I doubt we've ever taken more then several minutes to "do our business" clear the dump station for others. Sadly there are always those SPECIAL people who don't get it, Bless their hearts .....
Old 11-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
What is the GEO method?

I really don't worry about the water coming out as I can't see it with the hose connected. I will take a peak into the toilet where I can see the bottom of the tank. If there is nothing floating past while the flushers are running I am good to go. I am really just trying to take care of a sludge pile under the toilet rather than having a clean tank. There is probably enough water left in the tank when I'm done to keep anything left in there from causing any issues.
The GEO Method is here (also numerous threads here at FRF);
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

I have changed it a bit using liquid Calgon & laundry detergent for a load of laundry vs. powered & 2 cups. I skip the bleach as well.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #24
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
I have a separate hose for flushing that I carry with me, just remove the cut hose, flush, and go
At provincial parks here in Ontario, the other end of the park’s flusher hose is about 12’ in the air so that’s not an option. Herk7769’s solution is the only one that’ll work. They leave a plain end on the hose so you can’t flush and hold up a line but if you leave on a weekday other than a holiday Monday there usually aren’t any line ups.

For me, if there is more than one person behind me I wouldn’t try flushing but if its just one I’d like to take 2-3 minutes to flush (if I can connect my flush hose to the park’s hose). I can setup and remove my flush hose while the tanks are draining - connect while the black tank is draining, and disconnect while the grey tank is draining - so that doesn’t cause any delays.

It should never take much more than about 10 minutes to dump including flush time. Once you’ve dumped a few times you should have an efficient system established.

I always book a full hook up site for the last outing of the year so I have lots of time to flush before putting the TT in storage for the winter.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

Old 11-12-2017, 09:35 AM   #25
Wrench Turnin Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
At provincial parks here in Ontario, the other end of the park’s flusher hose is about 12’ in the air so that’s not an option. Herk7769’s solution is the only one that’ll work. They leave a plain end on the hose so you can’t flush and hold up a line but if you leave on a weekday other than a holiday Monday there usually aren’t any line ups.

For me, if there is more than one person behind me I wouldn’t try flushing but if its just one I’d like to take 2-3 minutes to flush (if I can connect my flush hose to the park’s hose). I can setup and remove my flush hose while the tanks are draining - connect while the black tank is draining, and disconnect while the grey tank is draining - so that doesn’t cause any delays.

It should never take much more than about 10 minutes to dump including flush time. Once you’ve dumped a few times you should have an efficient system established.

I always book a full hook up site for the last outing of the year so I have lots of time to flush before putting the TT in storage for the winter.
All good points. I'll have to keep this so in mind, this is my first RV with all the "business" in about 15 years. I didn't know any of this with that first one... Just hooked up and left the valves open

Old 11-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #26

In regards to "Cut off hoses and 12' in the air connections" we just use a dedicated "Water Thief/Water Bandit" slip over and secured with a auto hose clamp! Nothing really Special! Youroo!!
Old 11-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #27

When I don't have full hookups I'm probably 'that guy.'

I work as quickly as possible, but flush at the CG island. I'll even close the valve, partially fill the tank, and dump again. A couple of times, if no one is waiting. Then I partially fill so I have some water sloshing around in there while going down the road.

We go straight from the storage lot to the campground, and back. I can't do a thorough flush at my house or at the storage lot. Has to be done at the campground.

Tug: 2010 2wd Nissan Armada Titanium with tow package.
Specs: Max Trailer Weight 9,100, Tongue Load: 910, GCWR: 15,100, GVWR: 7,150, Payload: 1,592
Old 11-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #28

The black tank rinse on my Sunseeker is useless. All it does is run fresh water in the tank. It doesn’t spray around or do anything to rinse the sensors .I get way better results from filling the toilet bowl to the top and then dumping it all at once into the tank.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:00 AM   #29
Wrench Turnin Fool

The last time we camped (second time in our new unit) we had 50 amp electric and no water or sewer(PA state park). I filled the fresh water tank before we left for the weekend, so we had water. After hooking up to go home, I inquired about the dump station... "It's closed for the season" WHAT?????
The campground host Todd me to just don't at one of the full hookup sites. It took more than 20 minutes.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #30

If you don`t flush your black tank every time you dump it you will eventually have a build up in the top and bottom of your tank. I use a clear elbow and after my tank is empty I flush it and more of the most resent stuff will come out. After about 10 minute the water is clear, but the tank is not really clean. If there is no line then I will mix some dawn, happy camper, and automatic dish washing liquid and pour it down the toilet (with the dump closed) I then turn on the flusher again for about a minute then open the dump valve again and out come more goo and soapy water this cleans the top of the tank. I am not trying to make it drinking water clean but who want a build up in their black tank. I have camped a great many years and full timing now we have tried almost all of the holding tank chemicals on the market, the best I have found is HAPPY CAMPER and, I use it in all three of my tank and when they say no smell they mean it. I also use calgon in my holding tanks. My black tank capacity is 50 gallons and it will hold 50 gallons not 40 or 45 gallons.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #31
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Why does it take RV'ers 20 minutes to dump when other people are behind them? Today, some full-timers had to have crystal clear water running out. Why? It just going to be dirty again tonight when they use the bathroom? In my opinion, these "black water flushers" are just a marketing gimmick but now newbies have to pull out their hose and feel the need to run 10-20 gallons of fresh water to pristinely clean out their tank that will just be refilled with more black gook. In 20 years of camping with a motor home, I have never had the need to do more than just " dump and go". Happy they don't feel the need to wash and wax their rig also.............I have a Subseeker rig. Mods can move wherever this is applicable.
You're getting into an area that I have been studying for a long time. I could give you my honest opinion of why, but it would just set off a firestorm on this thread.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 11-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Why does it take RV'ers 20 minutes to dump when other people are behind them? Today, some full-timers had to have crystal clear water running out. Why? It just going to be dirty again tonight when they use the bathroom? In my opinion, these "black water flushers" are just a marketing gimmick but now newbies have to pull out their hose and feel the need to run 10-20 gallons of fresh water to pristinely clean out their tank that will just be refilled with more black gook. In 20 years of camping with a motor home, I have never had the need to do more than just " dump and go". Happy they don't feel the need to wash and wax their rig also.............I have a Subseeker rig. Mods can move wherever this is applicable.
I would think that anyone who is in front of you would Notice your "Subseeker Rig" although not as Large as a "Mine Sweeper" they do draw a Lot of attention in most Campgrounds! Youroo!!
Old 11-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #33

With more liquid in the black tank solids will get pushed out faster. If I'm leaving a site without the sewer drain, and heading for the CG dump station, I pump the water remaining in the fresh tank into the black tank via the flush connection. Built a short hose connection that hooks between the outside shower outlet and the flush connection. Just before pulling out from the campsite I turn both hot/cold shower valves open. That process puts a lot of water into the black tank and at the same time it empties the FW tank (don't like traveling with water in there).

With all that liquid in the black tank stuff really rushes out when the "fullway termination valve" is opened. If nobody is behind me then after the initial dump I close the valve and put 20-30 gallons in the tank and flush again. Very rare to see solids coming out (I use the clear adapter at the tank exit point). If someone is waiting, I fill a bucket with five gallons of water, mix GEO stuff in there and dump it into the toilet. That only takes about 2-3 extra minutes. If that bothers the person waiting behind me then that's their problem, not mine.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #34

I agree, no one wants to spend more time than they have to at the dump station, but it is what it is, within the realm of RVing. Some are just more anal than others. We all have our little quirks. And, if being newbies, have to be given more consideration, at first!

We usually spend 10 minutes, sometimes less, dumping. Which I think is ample enough time, for anyone, especially with 2 people helping. But we are always pre-prepared before reaching the dump station.

When it comes to long lines and everyone leaving at the same time........well, we all know how that story ends!

Life is too short to rush through.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Old 11-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #35
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
That is nice of you. Not sure why some of them have hoses cut off. I guess the hose is really just for washing down the drain area after you dump. I've seem some that are only about 3 foot long and don't come close to even reaching the ground.
My guess is the brass end gets run over regularly and it is easier to just lop it off than be forever fixing it.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:43 AM   #36
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
With more liquid in the black tank solids will get pushed out faster. If I'm leaving a site without the sewer drain, and heading for the CG dump station, I pump the water remaining in the fresh tank into the black tank via the flush connection. Built a short hose connection that hooks between the outside shower outlet and the flush connection. Just before pulling out from the campsite I turn both hot/cold shower valves open. That process puts a lot of water into the black tank and at the same time it empties the FW tank (don't like traveling with water in there).

With all that liquid in the black tank stuff really rushes out when the "fullway termination valve" is opened. If nobody is behind me then after the initial dump I close the valve and put 20-30 gallons in the tank and flush again. Very rare to see solids coming out (I use the clear adapter at the tank exit point). If someone is waiting, I fill a bucket with five gallons of water, mix GEO stuff in there and dump it into the toilet. That only takes about 2-3 extra minutes. If that bothers the person waiting behind me then that's their problem, not mine.
I see you put a one way check valve in the hose. Perfect.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #37
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
The GEO Method is here (also numerous threads here at FRF);
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

I have changed it a bit using liquid Calgon & laundry detergent for a load of laundry vs. powered & 2 cups. I skip the bleach as well.
Yep; a laundry load of water softener and detergent with 3-5 gallons of water has worked great for years.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
My guess is the brass end gets run over regularly and it is easier to just lop it off than be forever fixing it.
My WAG is Most water supply at the Dump Station reads "Non Potable Water" so they are trying to Help people to NOT use it for "Fresh Water use"! I have always thought it would be simpler to sign it "Danger!! Not for Drinking"! Most people unless they were in the Military don't know what "Potable Water"is! Youroo!!
Old 11-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
If you don't like it, you should have gotten to the dump station earlier I guess.
What time should I go? Maybe the "quick dumpers" should go before 9:00 and the "squeak clean" ones go after 9:00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
You're getting into an area that I have been studying for a long time. I could give you my honest opinion of why, but it would just set off a firestorm on this thread.
Don't be scared. That's what a forum does is get everyone
s opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I would think that anyone who is in front of you would Notice your "Subseeker Rig" although not as Large as a "Mine Sweeper" they do draw a Lot of attention in most Campgrounds! Youroo!!
Funny stuff....Subseeker. haha
Old 11-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #40

Full hookup campground next time around.

Last summer at a state park we enjoy, saw a line at the dump station ten deep. Thought, that was a poor way to spend a morning.
Closed Thread