Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #41
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
For my last trip of the year/final clean out I always use the black tank flush as well as rinsing until the water comes out crystal clear. I hope you don't get stuck behind me at the dump station because you will get aggravated.

Yeah I’m all about this, especially year end prior to winterization. Now with line of campers behind me in line no way, I’m outta of there expediently on my way home. Poop ya later! [emoji90]

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
Old 11-12-2017, 01:02 PM   #42

Okay, after reading thru all of these replies I am surprised that the majority of comments are to do your complete black tank flush maintenance at the dump while others are waiting. Be considerate: Dump the black, dump the gray, have 1 gallon of water and cup of detergent ready and pour it in toilet and go. This will take care of the bio breakdown on the way home. Do your thorough flush at home. If you don’t have the ability to do so your still good to go for your next trip out. Just make sure if you must be that guy to try and think of others. There’s always “that guy” who packs up and wakes everyone to leave at 6. If you must or already are that guy that is inconsiderate, buddy up with the early bird and do your clean sweep together. You flush mine I’ll flush yours type of thing. Bahabaha!

Old 11-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarks View Post
. Be considerate: Dump the black, dump the gray, have 1 gallon of water and cup of detergent ready and pour it in toilet and go. This will take care of the bio breakdown on the way home. Do your thorough flush at home. If you don’t have the ability to do so your still good to go for your next trip out.

Best idea so far. Thanks, benchmarks.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #44
Site Team

Many campgrounds with dump stations are on septic systems or holding tanks. Filling and dumping several times especially on on a busy weekend results in increased pump out costs for the park. This is then reflected in higher campsite costs for next season.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 11-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #45
Wrench Turnin Fool

Ok, how do you "dump at home"?
Into the storm sewer like in Christmas vacation??
SH$&_#S FULL!

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Old 11-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #46
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
If there is a line, I will "dump and go"; but always do a thorough cleaning the next time I am in a full hookup.

I will, however, use the turboflush if there is not a line.

Changing the clogged black tank is probably one more expensive repairs on an RV because not many repair shops are equipped (or motivated) to do so.
X-2 Herk.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

We usually get FHU and we use the Geo method but when at a dump station here is what we do. When waiting (ie next in line) we start to get our stuff ready. Pull up when our turn. Both of us get out so we have 2 people to decrease time. While DH dumps if necessary I switch the dump station hose to our black tank flush hose. When done dumping the black tank DH opens grey and uses that time to fill black tank. When grey 1 is empty. He turns off flush and dumps. Unless it is really bad he is done with the black tank at that point. He then has to disconnect the sewer hose and reconnect it to grey tank 2. While he is doing this I pour geo stuff in and he runs a couple gallons in to black tank from the hose. I come out lock the door and begin helping put stuff away (again 2 sets if hands to decrease time). We are in and out pretty quickly because we try not to waste any time and hold others up.

I have been stuck behind newbies with a 3 foot stinky slinky and had to wait 10 min while they kept repositioning the tt until they were close enough to dump. Then they did the whole dump process with the slinky stretched tight and a foot on the end. Not good.

I am always patient in line. DD has her Itouch and DH and I just sit back and relax. I figure it is just part of the camping experience. It is also that much longer until I have to return to reality at home.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #48
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
My WAG is Most water supply at the Dump Station reads "Non Potable Water" so they are trying to Help people to NOT use it for "Fresh Water use"! I have always thought it would be simpler to sign it "Danger!! Not for Drinking"! Most people unless they were in the Military don't know what "Potable Water"is! [emoji106] Youroo!!
I just read through all of the posts since it was questioned, and you're the first to get it right.
In NJ State Parks I've seen them use a small diameter hose on a spring loaded stand that has a few feet of hose with a curved brass wand on the end to deter people from using it to fill fresh tanks. It's also posted and usually has a potable water spigot near by for filling your fresh tank away from the dump station.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #49
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
SH$&_#S FULL!
I have city sewer. Conveniently I have a "cleanout" sewer cap near the driveway. Unscrew my clean out cap, screw in the Rhino adapter and hook up the hose. Pull valves flush and repeat all I want.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #50

Use a probiotic in your black water tank

I never completely flush my black water tank because I use tecktankrx probiotic instead of chemical waste water additives. In fact, the manufacturer advises not to completely empty the black water in order to keep the mother culture viable. Having used the probiotic for some time now, I have no oder issues. In fact, when not using the MH and in storage, I keep the tank at least a third full. I moved away from chemical based products when more and more RV parks started banning formaldehyde in the sewer systems.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #51

Quote:
SH$&_#S FULL!

I hook up my garden hose to my black tank flush inlet. I hook up my sewer hose to my black water flush pipe. I then orient the hose to my flower garden and turn on my spigot and the wand does the rest. After I am satisfied with the the flush I turn off the spigot. Allow to drain and walla....cleaned and I fertilized the garden maximizing my time. bahabaha!

Old 11-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #52

Dumping and Flush

Being Newbies, my wife and I rented a Class A a few weeks ago to accompany friends on our first RV trip. Not really being well versed in all the RV Etiquette, I dumped the black and gray water tanks and then used the Black Water Tank rinse connection while still in the Full Hookup RV park. I figured we would not be using the toilet on the way home with rest room facilities at gas stations and highway rest stops. Not having to dump the tanks again before turning in the rented motorhome made me comfortable.

Enjoying all the expert information on this net although we don't an RV as yet. LGC
Old 11-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #53

We try to make sure we schedule our camping in a full hook up campground every 6 months or so to do a thorough cleaning of tanks.

Otherwise at dump station we have topped off the black tank at our site so the drive to the dump station moves things around a bit, dump the black tank & then dump a 5 gal bucket once or twice of non potable water down the toilet to break up any bricks left behind before switching to grey tank. While DH finishes grey tank in go the chemicals & 3 gal of water to sit in black tank until next trip out. Pretty quick process overall.

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Old 11-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
If you don't like it, you should have gotten to the dump station earlier I guess.
X2
2020 is a BUST!
Old 11-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyCox View Post
Being Newbies, my wife and I rented a Class A a few weeks ago to accompany friends on our first RV trip. Not really being well versed in all the RV Etiquette, I dumped the black and gray water tanks and then used the Black Water Tank rinse connection while still in the Full Hookup RV park. I figured we would not be using the toilet on the way home with rest room facilities at gas stations and highway rest stops. Not having to dump the tanks again before turning in the rented motorhome made me comfortable.

Enjoying all the expert information on this net although we don't an RV as yet. LGC
I'm good with that. Just make certain you use a different hose. Someone can say what they want about it but no harm no foul in my world. I always treat the water spigot as a hazardous zone anyway due to the unknown usage by others. Again just use a separate hose for such.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #56

Quote:
SH$&_#S FULL!

Absolutely loved that movie. About as dysfunctional as a family can get, they were.

We have a "clean out" on our property to the city sewer, so we can utilize that if we don't want to wait at the dump station, when the line is extremely long.

Does come in handy.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Old 11-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #57

We use a full hook up site to fully flush out the black water tank, if we use a dump station its a dump and go when there is a line, should be common courtesy.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #58

If you get a good routine...I worked on it this summer with the black flush. I can be out of the dump station in 10 minutes or less. Saw a husband/wife team this summer. Talk about a well oiled machine. I'd swear that they dumped, flushed the black, loaded everything up and were out in 5 minutes.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
My WAG is Most water supply at the Dump Station reads "Non Potable Water" so they are trying to Help people to NOT use it for "Fresh Water use"! I have always thought it would be simpler to sign it "Danger!! Not for Drinking"! Most people unless they were in the Military don't know what "Potable Water"is! [emoji106] Youroo!!
What is your WAG? Do I even want to know that term, this is a family forum...[emoji44]

Old 11-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
For my last trip of the year/final clean out I always use the black tank flush as well as rinsing until the water comes out crystal clear. I hope you don't get stuck behind me at the dump station because you will get aggravated.
I agree. If you get behind me on my last camping trip, you're gonna wait because I always clean flush on the last trip. No offense!
Closed Thread