Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2021, 09:39 AM   #81
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,048
If a Campground wanted to give business class wireless, it would cost them 6 figures to do so. The equipment alone would be $100,000 between the controller and outdoor AP's. Then there is the construction involved to run the fiber to each tower.

The reason most campground wireless is weak is because the mesh the AP's if there are more than one. Each mesh is reduced by 50%. If you connect to the master AP, you get great speeds, connect to the meshed AP and you get half the speed.

Meshed AP's use half the bandwidth to connect to the master AP, so if its a GB link, then 500MB is used for the backbone, leaving 500 MB for the clients. Of course that is provided they have the latest AP's and more than likely are only 100 MB linked. That leave 50 MB, so get 10 clients on that AP (two RV can easily do this) and they get 5 MB each.

Unless the install was done by a wireless professional, which more than likely wasn't due to cost, then the AP wont have the proper QOS and limits put on it so it can be easily saturated.

IOW don't expect business class wifi from a campground unless the owner is either rich, or a retired wireless Professional with access to used hardware.
__________________
The BEAST 2012 F350 King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke
2020 Arctic Wolf 3660SUITE
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:40 AM   #82
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 74
Campground WIFI is NOT for streaming video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Campground WIFI at 'most' campgrounds isn't meant for streaming. Many don't have the infrastructure within to provide big bandwidth data. Many others simply cannot get a broadband service delivered to them (by the Internet Providers) to supply enough bandwidth for the entire campground to be streaming.

Then, you have folks who do try to stream and make it worse for everyone else.

Unless the campground has the capability and the ability to upgrade your WIFI connection suitable for streaming, please don't 'hog' all the bandwidth so others can't even check email.

Streaming can eat up 2-4GB of data an hour. That's a HUGE number when you start to add up over (insert number here) campers trying to stream! Even with a fiber connection to the campground, that much bandwidth is expensive. And, most don't have access to fiber.

If you want to stream, sign on with an internet provider via a mobile hotspot and provide your own internet.

What he said, but I would be less polite. The reason we RV is to be in remote locations, where there is no cabled internet service. So bandwidth is expensive. If you need video for entertainment (Why? Aren't we "camping"?), use your hot spot or get a satellite dish, so the rest of us can check emails and do our "road ahead" research.
geoff270ssf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:40 AM   #83
Senior Member
 
GravelRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatdarncat View Post
Wait wait, let me guess! Because it's a campground and not a trendy coffee shop?

Some folks probably would like to grab that camping spot of yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatdarncat View Post
All of this is nonsense, if you need those kind of amenities sell everything related to camping and stay at a hotel.
It's the Starbucks syndrome....not happy with just a cup of coffee, it's got to be personalized.😂
You realize tent campers laugh at your bravado when you're staying in an RV, right? Why is Wifi nonsense, but having the luxuries of a modern RV aren't? Where are you drawing the line?
__________________
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,048
Well if one is so addicted to their phones and Internet there is always https://www.starlink.com/

It is an addiction too, just as bad as alcohol and drugs.
__________________
The BEAST 2012 F350 King Ranch 6.7 Powerstroke
2020 Arctic Wolf 3660SUITE
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:53 AM   #85
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I never get WiFi in the forest. I do get great cell phone data at just about all parks. People need to give up the streaming habit then most of the WiFi problems will stop.

I also can go 7 days including showering for two twice a day washing dishes one 90 Gallons. Have done it several times.Takes planning.
Keep in mind nay WEB sights now have a lot more graphics and in some cases embedded video on the top pages. It may get a bit better if no one tries to stream, but it's still likely to be poor in large campgrounds that have limited bandwidth. The other thing to keep in mind is that the data rate over the WiFi link is dependent on signal strength. So several people connected at the fringe of the coverage reduces the effective bandwidth of the whole network.
__________________
Tow vehicle 2021 F-250
TT Apex 256BHS
Tabasco_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:12 AM   #86
Norwood Auto Italia
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Montana & TX
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
"And that's just my house."

And there's the rub....

Just about ANYBODY in a major metropolitan area (just about ALL on NJ qualifies) who can AFFORD what the providers want to charge, can "stream all they want.
Actually not so. The infrastructure providers will only invest in that cost if the market size is large enough to justify that investment. For example, in the DC area, the investment inside the Beltway is far larger than outside because the density is higher and the market (number of subscriptions) is larger. In Fairfax county, the home of the CIA (BTW) the options, costs and above all availability is far lower and far less capable. And has been this way since 1990 and the arrival of the browser.

Most CGs are not in major metro areas, and if they are, they are usually zoned to very low density areas. So the affordability is not always their issue. They just cannot get a supplier with enough band width for a hotel that is only open for 7 to 8 months of the year.

Lastly, bandwidth does not come without maintenance costs. Few CGs can afford to or even find IT tech capability to support the distribution of bandwidth even if they could obtain it. I have some manufacturing plants in such areas and we have to go to extraordinary lengths to be able to use SAAS that was pitched to us a as much more affordable than using our own servers. Its was, until the bandwidth supplier mysteriously went AWOL (Verizon) and the only solution was to bounce a microwave signal off an antenna 12 miles away. Major $$$ just to stay in business.

These so called cheap satellite solutions will arrive eventually but they too will suffer from affordability gaps and first users are going to be disapppointed for a long time.
__________________
2000 Sportsmobile E350 EB
2006 Renegade/Peterbilt K1854 and T1220
2021 Isata 5 28SS Explorer
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #87
Senior Member
 
PDFOR3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Harvey, LA
Posts: 557
I'm using Visible’s $40/month unlimited plan which includes mobile hotspot - truly unlimited, no data cap. Mobile hotspot speeds are capped at 5 Mbps and limited to one tethered device at a time. Video streams at a resolution of 480p, not bad for most things - basketball can get a little pixelated.

One month in and so far so good. I don't have to rely on campground wifi to stream video. BTW, Visible runs on Verizon's network.
__________________
Astros1
2021 Forest River Sunseeker 2400B MBS
PDFOR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:23 AM   #88
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Leander, TX
Posts: 17
I spent 3 months traveling this summer since working-from-home so my home moved from Texas to east coast to Wisconsin back to Texas. Wifi was good for email most places, did streaming at campgrounds near large cities which had Fibre, but small town or out of city campgrounds just can't get sufficient bandwidth. Spectrum which at home offers gigabit, offered 5mb in Northern Wisconsin for same price 🤔.
__________________
Happy Camping!
TexasGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:34 AM   #89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 213
Someone must set the standard for bad bandwidth. Else, how would you know how great your bandwidth is at home? JMHO
W5CRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:40 AM   #90
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
You realize tent campers laugh at your bravado when you're staying in an RV, right? Why is Wifi nonsense, but having the luxuries of a modern RV aren't? Where are you drawing the line?

Why occupy any camping spot if essentially you are not doing anything outdoors other than walking a dog? Why the need to burden campground owners to cater to such behavior? Likewise, if you like different places, hotels are all over the place and will have all your amenities to meet those fanciful requirements. Logically and financially it makes no sense to be buying up RV's Trucks, motor homes etc when you know good and well before hand that your personal "tastes" might not be satisfied.... You could easily invest 75k and each month draw the dividends for hotel costs for those random trips and still have the 75K too! And also have that precious wifi too.
What is whirling in that head when a person plunks down 75k and then gripes about wi-fi? Is it because that 75k with camping gear is depreciating faster than the 75k invested with wifi is appreciating?



Starbucks syndrome: me me me , I I I....its all about me.
__________________
2017 Palomino 25RBxle lite thingy
Yanked around by a 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 cummins thingy
Thatdarncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:02 PM   #91
Senior Member
 
GravelRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatdarncat View Post
Why occupy any camping spot if essentially you are not doing anything outdoors other than walking a dog? Why the need to burden campground owners to cater to such behavior? Likewise, if you like different places, hotels are all over the place and will have all your amenities to meet those fanciful requirements. Logically and financially it makes no sense to be buying up RV's Trucks, motor homes etc when you know good and well before hand that your personal "tastes" might not be satisfied.... You could easily invest 75k and each month draw the dividends for hotel costs for those random trips and still have the 75K too! And also have that precious wifi too.
What is whirling in that head when a person plunks down 75k and then gripes about wi-fi? Is it because that 75k with camping gear is depreciating faster than the 75k invested with wifi is appreciating?



Starbucks syndrome: me me me , I I I....its all about me.
Sorry that my camping experiences do not meet your expectations. I'll try harder next time to please you random internet person.





And just in case you may be in a receptive mood, consider that some of us work and require connectivity in order to take camping trips. We still hike, hang around the camp fire, and do other [likely] Thatdarncat-approved activities. However, without either Wi-Fi or cell signal, would be unable to take that camping trip.

I'm a physician, and I need to be able to connect to keep up on results, phone calls, etc. for my patients on some long weekends that I'm not in the office, but would otherwise forced to be at home. This way I'm able to still go camping, yet care for my patients. You know, I I I, me me me type stuff. And would I like to be able to stream sometimes? Yes. Yes, I would. Again, I'm terribly sorry that you have to hear this.

And my $16k trailer has taken us to 26 states and just under 100 days camping, most no hook-ups or boondocking, over the last year and a half we've owned it. We still manage to have fun in it without spending $75k.

Any other preconceived notions you have about random internet people you know nothing about?
__________________
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:09 PM   #92
Norwood Auto Italia
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Montana & TX
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatdarncat View Post
What is whirling in that head when a person plunks down 75k and then gripes about wi-fi? Is it because that 75k with camping gear is depreciating faster than the 75k invested with wifi is appreciating?



Starbucks syndrome: me me me , I I I....its all about me.
Your point is an interesting one that causes me much bemusement! For many (it seems) the RV is just another "home" and largely the intention is to do with, at, or in the RV the same as they do at home only at a different place at their option. So it needs to be built like a home and similarly equipped which if it were it would approach Prevost prices (as scaled for size) and the discussion might be different.

In fact its amusing how much energy is devoted to the TV, Streaming, Sitting experience in an RV indicating some peculiar (at least IMO) agendas.

It also seems that today at least, kids cannot be persuaded to "camp" if they are going to lose connectivity even for a day!
__________________
2000 Sportsmobile E350 EB
2006 Renegade/Peterbilt K1854 and T1220
2021 Isata 5 28SS Explorer
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:14 PM   #93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
Sorry that my camping experiences do not meet your expectations. I'll try harder next time to please you random internet person.





And just in case you may be in a receptive mood, consider that some of us work and require connectivity in order to take camping trips. We still hike, hang around the camp fire, and do other [likely] Thatdarncat-approved activities. However, without either Wi-Fi or cell signal, would be unable to take that camping trip.

I'm a physician, and I need to be able to connect to keep up on results, phone calls, etc. for my patients on some long weekends that I'm not in the office, but would otherwise forced to be at home. This way I'm able to still go camping, yet care for my patients. You know, I I I, me me me type stuff. And would I like to be able to stream sometimes? Yes. Yes, I would. Again, I'm terribly sorry that you have to hear this.

And my $16k trailer has taken us to 26 states and just under 100 days camping, most no hook-ups or boondocking, over the last year and a half we've owned it. We still manage to have fun in it without spending $75k.

Any other preconceived notions you have about random internet people you know nothing about?
I'm not sure I understand where you are on this. First you need to stay available to your patients/office. Campgrounds do not provide cell service. You say yourself you mostly dry camp or boondock. I do agree that some people need a wifi connection to work when camping. However, you don't seem to be one of those. JMHO

It has been my experience that those that need wifi for work find a way to fill that need without the service from a campground. This has been this way for years and I don't see it changing soon.
W5CRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:24 PM   #94
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 266
How many companies now offer their installation and setup information in video now?
Have a problem in your camper or vehicle. You may need to watch a video to resolve the issue.
Or you can find helpful third parties on YT.

Streaming is not just entertainment these days.
__________________
Tow vehicle 2021 F-250
TT Apex 256BHS
Tabasco_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:25 PM   #95
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
Sorry that my camping experiences do not meet your expectations. I'll try harder next time to please you random internet person.





And just in case you may be in a receptive mood, consider that some of us work and require connectivity in order to take camping trips. We still hike, hang around the camp fire, and do other [likely] Thatdarncat-approved activities. However, without either Wi-Fi or cell signal, would be unable to take that camping trip.

I'm a physician, and I need to be able to connect to keep up on results, phone calls, etc. for my patients on some long weekends that I'm not in the office, but would otherwise forced to be at home. This way I'm able to still go camping, yet care for my patients. You know, I I I, me me me type stuff. And would I like to be able to stream sometimes? Yes. Yes, I would. Again, I'm terribly sorry that you have to hear this.

And my $16k trailer has taken us to 26 states and just under 100 days camping, most no hook-ups or boondocking, over the last year and a half we've owned it. We still manage to have fun in it without spending $75k.

Any other preconceived notions you have about random internet people you know nothing about?
Well doc I guess I do have preconceived notions about internet people who I know nothing about but since you have explained your need for internet so eloquently, then it should not be any burden for you at all to have any expectations of a campground owner trying to satisfy your wi-fi needs, if email is that important than maybe you should not be slinking off in the first place, however if you do feel you deserve to slink off and have your wi-fi needs met and since your proudly proclaimed that your a very important doctor, then you can easily afford the best Hughes net has to offer and a generator, solar array/battery bank to meet those needs and not burden anyone with your expectations. Likewise, a man with such intellectual prowess as yourself could have easily figured that one out right doc?
__________________
2017 Palomino 25RBxle lite thingy
Yanked around by a 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 cummins thingy
Thatdarncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:42 PM   #96
Norwood Auto Italia
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Montana & TX
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatdarncat View Post
then it should not be any burden for you at all to have any expectations of a campground owner trying to satisfy your wi-fi needs, if email is that important than maybe you should not be slinking off in the first place, however if you do feel you deserve to slink off and have your wi-fi needs met and since your proudly proclaimed that your a very important doctor, then you can easily afford the best Hughes net has to offer and a generator, solar array/battery bank to meet those needs and not burden anyone with your expectations.
And this indeed is the point - if the RV is work base, method of extracting some work/life balance or has to perform to meet any "professional" agenda, then there are indeed ways to get the connectivity that facilitates this. Whether its Hughes, Iridium, Inmarsat or any/mix of the cell systems, it can be done and no one else should have to carry the burden to provide that least of all the owners of the CGs. That they provide WiFi (or advertise that ) is, I believe, a hold over from the pre-streaming days where it was not a major burden/cost to provide burst/packet sized band width for emails or messaging backed up as it was then by cell phone communication. But the technology and the cost of maintain that technology now needs significant IT support. Support that few CG owners even know how to define or specify even if they could afford it. Many hotel chains have now figured out how to do it affordably by providing free email band width and offering streaming with a considerable upcharge outsourced through a contracted 3rd party.

And along comes 5G which is going to change the landscape eventually for everyone and make the affordability of CG 5G internet even more problematic for those not professionally engaged.
__________________
2000 Sportsmobile E350 EB
2006 Renegade/Peterbilt K1854 and T1220
2021 Isata 5 28SS Explorer
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:17 PM   #97
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 15,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CRE View Post
I'm not sure I understand where you are on this. First you need to stay available to your patients/office. Campgrounds do not provide cell service. You say yourself you mostly dry camp or boondock. I do agree that some people need a wifi connection to work when camping. However, you don't seem to be one of those. JMHO

It has been my experience that those that need wifi for work find a way to fill that need without the service from a campground. This has been this way for years and I don't see it changing soon.
Correct.

I'm lucky enough I can do my job from anywhere I have an internet connection.
I do not depend on the campground I'm staying at to provide that even if they do advertise WIFI available and I especially would not if someone's life/health depended on me being able to connect and help them in their time of need.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel•Goodyear Endurance Tires•2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4•Factory Puck•B&W Companion•TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater•Sinemate 3500w Gen.
F&AM Lodge 358 Somerset, PA - JAFFA Shrine - Altoona, PA

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=19
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:26 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 760
I think it's awesome that we have been able to hijack yet another thread in order to be snobs about how what WE do is "camping", and what OTHERS do, is not.

This provides us yet another opportunity to crow about how much better/smarter WE are, vs everyone else.

Please carry on!
__________________
-Qwkynuf

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:30 PM   #99
Senior Member
 
GravelRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CRE View Post
I'm not sure I understand where you are on this. First you need to stay available to your patients/office. Campgrounds do not provide cell service. You say yourself you mostly dry camp or boondock. I do agree that some people need a wifi connection to work when camping. However, you don't seem to be one of those. JMHO

It has been my experience that those that need wifi for work find a way to fill that need without the service from a campground. This has been this way for years and I don't see it changing soon.
I was just asking why campground Wi-fi is generally so poor, and a lot of good discussion took place, much of which I had not considered at the time I started this thread.

If I need to be available for work, I always ensure I have cell service. Doing anything less would be irresponsible.
__________________
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:39 PM   #100
Senior Member
 
GravelRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatdarncat View Post
Well doc I guess I do have preconceived notions about internet people who I know nothing about but since you have explained your need for internet so eloquently, then it should not be any burden for you at all to have any expectations of a campground owner trying to satisfy your wi-fi needs, if email is that important than maybe you should not be slinking off in the first place, however if you do feel you deserve to slink off and have your wi-fi needs met and since your proudly proclaimed that your a very important doctor, then you can easily afford the best Hughes net has to offer and a generator, solar array/battery bank to meet those needs and not burden anyone with your expectations. Likewise, a man with such intellectual prowess as yourself could have easily figured that one out right doc?
I'm not going to engage in personal insults over the internet. There's just no point. Have a happy and calming Thanksgiving.
__________________
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
campground, mpg, wifi

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.