Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2021, 12:04 AM   #21
jkoenig24

Several reasons. The BEST internet connectivity is where there are LARGE populations (cities, universities etc). These places RARELY have campgrounds nearby. The center part of the "lower 48" have LOTS of campgrounds but relatively small and scattered population centers. Politics / NIMBYism and economic concerns also play a part. With the explosion of internet capable devices, the demand simply outpaces the bandwidth available, ESPECIALLY when you have numerous bandwidth hogs who want to stream Hi-Rez video thus monopolizing a LIMITED resource rather than pay for their own satellite TV (personally, I set video resolution at the lowest setting possible which SIGNIFICANTLY reduces the amount of data I use). From what I've heard from several campground owners, cable providers are NOT interested in wiring up campgrounds. Said providers will run a cable to the main office and NO further. As mentioned above by a campground owner; he stated the problems he'd encounter if he started digging up his property. I've stayed in several campgrounds where basic WiFi was included in the nightly rate BUT if you needed additional bandwidth for video streaming, you had to pay extra. Technology has long existed that allows campground owners to monitor AND LIMIT exactly how much data any (and every) guest can use. Go over your limit and, you'll be cut off (and may need to visit the office to get it reset). I PAY for two "cellular hotspots (Verizon & T-Mobile) as well as multiple phones (4G & 5G) on multiple carriers allegedly with "unlimited" data (more marketing ploy than fact). I find I can easily use 400GB (or more) of data / month. It's MY responsibility to arrange and PAY FOR the data I want / need just as it's YOUR responsibility to pay your own way. Fortunately, you (and all the other RVers) have multiple choices available (something that was NOT true even a decade ago). Cellular data has been getting better but still has a way to go.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 05:49 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
In my opinion, I shouldn't have to be made to feel bad for using a service that is advertised and paid for. If they advertise it as slow internet only suitable for web browsing/checking email, and advise against streaming, than fine. I certainly won't be the one hogging the bandwidth. But, if it isn't, it's 2021, streaming is the norm, not the exception.
I have never been to a campground that advertised that you could do streaming. Almost every campground says please do not try to stream videos as that will clog up the wifi for people just trying to do email and basic web browsing.

I've tried watching youtube videos and on occasion that has worked intermittently, usually at low resolution of 240p. Sometimes it has worked fairly well at 5 am. Most places have been so jammed up that I haven't been able to do basic web browsing. Most likely that was caused by people trying to do streaming. About 90 percent of the time I resort to my cell phone and jetpack(Verizon).

Streaming is not the norm in most campgrounds. Infrastructure to allow that cost money. Campground prices would need to be higher. Perhaps with the increased number of campers and the new norm of inflation more campgrounds will be able to add that. Expect higher campground rates, much higher in 2022.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Campground WIFI at 'most' campgrounds isn't meant for streaming. Many don't have the infrastructure within to provide big bandwidth data. Many others simply cannot get a broadband service delivered to them (by the Internet Providers) to supply enough bandwidth for the entire campground to be streaming.

Then, you have folks who do try to stream and make it worse for everyone else.

Unless the campground has the capability and the ability to upgrade your WIFI connection suitable for streaming, please don't 'hog' all the bandwidth so others can't even check email.

Streaming can eat up 2-4GB of data an hour. That's a HUGE number when you start to add up over (insert number here) campers trying to stream! Even with a fiber connection to the campground, that much bandwidth is expensive. And, most don't have access to fiber.

If you want to stream, sign on with an internet provider via a mobile hotspot and provide your own internet.
Amen to that statement. Been coming to same CG in FL for over 10 years, over 300 sites, always full at this time of year. We even have Fiber Optics they upgraded a few years ago - but still - we now have kids here being home schooled and people working out of their campers. And then there's the Streaming I am currently getting up at 5:30 am so I can do some important emailing - at that time in the morning I usually get a good hour jump on decent email - the rest of the day - forget about it!!!
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:30 AM   #24

Quote:
LOL. If you believe "campgrounds" are for "camping," an RV shouldn't even be in the discussion. In my tent camping days, I could definitely get behind this sentiment (and rarely camped in campgrounds; usually out in the woods). However, I tow around a small house with television, lights, heater, air conditioner, sink, oven, microwave, fridge, shower, toilet, couch, beds, etc. And I've got a very small basic travel trailer. Discussing whether WiFi is important when "camping" in an RV seems a silly distinction.
Well put.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:34 AM   #25

Campground wifi is like everyone in your home town using the same line to connect. Closes person to the modem gets the worm. For the average camper best to just use your cell to go online.
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:43 AM   #26

I’m at a campground, connect to their Wifi in order to check my email only to find a very poor connection, WHY? Well, it’s because so many people think it’s their personal Wifi network and spend all day streaming movies and such, taking all the bandwidth. It’s another example of people not thinking about others.
Rant over
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:52 AM   #27

One of the issues is that the campground owners/operators don't have the knowledge to determine what they need. Or how to run a more complex system to deliver tiered services once they do get upgraded. Hiring help to upgrade a system is expensive. Many simply use a consumer grade service and a couple home wireless routers.

BTW, a mesh network would be ideal for many campground systems. No need to trench cable.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:14 AM   #28

A little bit off topic, but I used to work for a Cable TV company in a small town. We had a motel next door to our office, and a sign appeared in front of the motel one day, "Free HBO". Hey.....they aren't paying for HBO (I guess that is what they meant by free)! So I trapped out the HBO channel on their line. The next day "Free HBO" was gone from their sign.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:24 AM   #29

How our campgrounds going to figure out there WiFi needs when campers are steaming on 3-4 TVs at the same time and all 5 of there kids have cell phones streaming videos?
It’s safer to buy a hot spot and create your own WiFi at your site.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:34 AM   #30

My experience so far has been the campgrounds with the fastest wifi have usually been an extra high speed paid service. But since I have been traveling long before Planes had movies you could select at your seat. Or Wifi. I download a few while I am at home and take them with me on my tablet. Here is a good site that explains how for some services. https://recklessroaming.com/netflix-camping-off-grid/ Hope this helps.
Byoung4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byoung4now View Post
My experience so far has been the campgrounds with the fastest wifi have usually been an extra high speed paid service. But since I have been traveling long before Planes had movies you could select at your seat. Or Wifi. I download a few while I am at home and take them with me on my tablet. Here is a good site that explains how for some services. https://recklessroaming.com/netflix-camping-off-grid/ Hope this helps.
I also bring some DVD's I've found at garage sales and swap meets. Last DVD's cost me $0.50 each and unlike streaming, when I play them there's no buffering or lost signal.

I also watch a movie at night when boondocking far away from TV signals, if I want.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:33 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
A little bit off topic, but I used to work for a Cable TV company in a small town. We had a motel next door to our office, and a sign appeared in front of the motel one day, "Free HBO". Hey.....they aren't paying for HBO (I guess that is what they meant by free)! So I trapped out the HBO channel on their line. The next day "Free HBO" was gone from their sign.
Maybe I'm dense, but I have no idea what this means. Were they stealing HBO, was that the takeaway?
Old 11-19-2021, 09:42 AM   #33

Quote:
Why is campground WiFi so bad!? I no longer even consider WiFi as an amenity, because it's always useless. And I actually find it irritating when it is listed as an amenity.

Last weekend I was in Vermont and the WiFi would almost play Netflix, though not quite, and I commented this was the best WiFi we've ever had at a campground, and it was still terrible (and the campground was pretty empty this time of year). Even right next to a router with excellent signal, I never get anything usable. And this has been universal everywhere we've stayed, whether out in the sticks, or right in a town/city.
it's bad because so many are using it . Designed for checking email not streaming videos . the costs to up grade so all could stream would be very costly, isn't going to happen . people who want to stream need their own WiFi
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:44 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
I have never been to a campground that advertised that you could do streaming....
We stayed at a KOA in SW Missouri (I think it was in Springfield, but it could have been in Joplin) that noted that their WiFi was robust enough for streaming, and it was. Plus they delivered pizza right to your site.

I just visited the Springfield KOA's web page, and it now says they have an EV charging station! That is one campground that has moved into the 21st century.
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:55 AM   #35
Trailer Park Supervisor

Going to an RV park is like going back in time in a space capsule full of idiots, lol. I'm actually surprised they know what WiFi even is. In a way, it's good, because it keeps me off damn computer, and where I'm supposed to be: Sitting by my propane camp fire absorbing alcohol and fresh air.

Even hotels can't get WiFi right, unless you are at one where you pay for it, which I would not do.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:36 AM   #36

Good discussion. Thanks for the comments everyone.

For the record, I've actually never streamed at a campground. I've tried a few times unsuccessfully. We use a tablet with micro-HDMI cable to watch on our TV, and download movies/shows ahead of time, since we usually camp where this is no WiFi and little to no cell signal. And if there is cell signal, we use our hotspot. It's just frustrating to see it advertised, but never work. I've never seen any of the places we've stayed specifically state not to stream. I really wish they would if they know their system can't handle it.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:12 AM   #37

Tiered system already here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Again, the amount of bandwidth needed to supply streaming data for the entire campground is HUGE so I agree, many campgrounds will go to a tiered structure... IF and that's a big IF... they are even able to get more bandwidth coming in. Many campgrounds are located in geographical areas where additional bandwidth simply isn't available.

With a tiered structure, if YOU want more you can get it but Joe Smith, who doesn't own an internet capable device, doesn't have to help foot the huge bill.
The campground where the Cherokee 38P is sited already has such a structure. Internet in that area is only available from the cable provider. They provide a couple of their maximum size pipes to the operator for data, and lowest-tier cable TV to every transient and permanent site. The site operator has multiple Wi-Fi access points and they are often overloaded. Cell phones and tablets are banned in most public areas, but people don't turn them off. Smartphones continue to upload photos and download feeds and updates while sitting unused.

Most of the permanent sites have subscribed to an upgraded tier directly from the cable provider. It provides a few more TV channels, full 1080i service, gobs of data bandwidth, and two VoIP lines we've never used. It's not cheap. I wouldn't have subscribed; DW subscribed from her budget.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:00 PM   #38

We camp at a seasonal campground with stationary sites. During the week the WIFI is great but when the weekend approaches, it becomes a nightmare. Can't handle all the streaming and kids on their phones and Ipads. Campground blames the WIFI company while the campers get the mess. We pay for this and its included in our fees but many are not happy!
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:05 PM   #39
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Good discussion. Thanks for the comments everyone.

For the record, I've actually never streamed at a campground. I've tried a few times unsuccessfully. We use a tablet with micro-HDMI cable to watch on our TV, and download movies/shows ahead of time, since we usually camp where this is no WiFi and little to no cell signal. And if there is cell signal, we use our hotspot. It's just frustrating to see it advertised, but never work. I've never seen any of the places we've stayed specifically state not to stream. I really wish they would if they know their system can't handle it.
There's lot of things that can get painted with that brush though. Places list amenities but then you find... washers and dryers that don't work, heated pool that's never heated, propane/firewood for sale but they are out, game rooms with one broken down foosball table, fully stocked camp stores with nothing but outdated milk and hotdogs, etc.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:16 PM   #40

I found the comments about Campground WiFi not being meant for streaming interesting. I have no opinion on the validity of that. Butttt

I watch a few (maybe more than a few) YouTube RV "experts". There have been quite a few instances of these "experts" that were not able to upload their content due to lack of appropriate WiFi facilities. They drove to town to use other WiFi sources. And talked about that on their show. I guess the "influencers" don't care about negatively affecting your WiFi capability.

Eventually the more successful get some form of WiFi of their own.

U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, mpg, wifi