Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2021, 08:50 PM   #61

Know what?

Reminds me of Nirvana - definitely a Smells Like Teen Spirit thread. “Here we are now entertain us…acting stupid & contagious.” Campgrounds can’t keep up with tech unless it’s an upper echelon faculty & then it’ll be priced at a level that’ll offend all millennials & many others. Full timers, different deal, they need services of all kinds. Sadly many full timers are full time because they live on a meager budget. People confuse privileges with rights in this country. Having enough WiFi to stream Netflix etc isn’t an inalienable right. Solution? You can have anything you want, just be prepared to pay for it, otherwise money talks & bullsh— walks. Sorry.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:01 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhaller View Post
Just visited a KOA that had amazing wifi. Almost fell over. They had six repeaters throughout the park which was not that large. Capitol KOA outside of D.C. in Maryland.
Repeaters in a park are great -----------as long as the park is able to get a wifi service with enough bandwidth.

Keywords here------

Small Park

Huge nearby Metro Area.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:14 PM   #63

I think streaming or attempted streaming makes campground wifi even worse. In my experience it's not even stable enough to check my email. Between wife and I, we can download a dozen movies on Netflix. Movie entertainment is covered. 4 or 5G used sparingly on a limited plan when necessary. Not a problem for us but could be for those working away from home. Never found decent CG wifi and don't expect to. Monthly satelite would probably be my choice over unlimited 4/5G for reliability, but have no real need.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:26 PM   #64

WiFi

Generally the wifi stinks. Rifrafters Campground near the New River National Park in West, By God, Virginia has been the BEST. Have had to buy additional access to stream anything at most campgrounds....if we are staying for a week or more, we cave and do it. And camping rates keep increasing...
RPOD 180 and Ford XLT 150 5.0
Craig and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:31 PM   #65
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'll buy a fishing rod before I pay a campground for usable Wifi.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:33 PM   #66

And that, my friend, is the beauty of being an American.
RPOD 180 and Ford XLT 150 5.0
Craig and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:41 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I'll buy a fishing rod before I pay a campground for usable Wifi.
I've gone one better. I avoid "pay" campgrounds. The peace and quiet as well as scenery is hard to beat in the "boondocks"

Done right one doesn't have to compromise (much) on the creature comforts.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:06 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post
How about only streaming when the WiFi is advertised as being capable of streaming?

I've stayed at campsites like that, and it's great. Otherwise, I use my phone's hotspot or don't stream out of consideration for others.

I guess I'm just a dupe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post
How about only streaming when the WiFi is advertised as being capable of streaming?

I've stayed at campsites like that, and it's great. Otherwise, I use my phone's hotspot or don't stream out of consideration for others.

I guess I'm just a dupe.
NOT a dupe but sane and considerate.

The CG I am at and the previous one has free WIFI but if you need more it's $25 monthly. Where I snowbird it's free but if you want or need more you set it up with the cable company.

Not full time and do not stream anything. I use a hot spot for security!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:41 PM   #69

I'd like to know how folks 'hog' the 'wifi'? Seriously, has anyone actually 'tried' to stream anything? lol! I suspect it is like that for 'everyone' and even the folks that are trying to stream are having a hard time at it, if at all.

The last campground I was in had a paid service, $30 for a month guaranteed 20mb. Flawless. Although it did boot me a few times. If I am paying for it, I am 'absolutely' going to use it for what I paid for. And yes, I am going to complain if it sucks. If it's free, I know I am getting what I am paying for. (I work out of my trailer so yeah, I need reliable internet).

That said, I rarely pay for wifi because I try to stay in areas where my VZ cell service works. My current location is getting 100mb on cell hotspot. (State Park in SC) It's very fast. I use my hotspot. If I want to stream, I hook up my hdmi dongle to my iphone and stream it over cell data to my tv. Good system.

James
2012 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins
Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:17 AM   #70

Retro tech

I’m a big fan of Boondocking too. However I have migrated from backpacking to Glamping as well. On a rainy weekend in the deep woods with no Internet antenna tv or cell phone signal, boredom can be an issue. I bought a small DVD player at Walmart for $35 and hit up yard sales for $1 dvds. I have a great library of classics that are on my shelf “on demand” at any time. Then there is the real old school retro tech...... a book.
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:38 AM   #71

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I never get WiFi in the forest. I do get great cell phone data at just about all parks. People need to give up the streaming habit then most of the WiFi problems will stop.

I also can go 7 days including showering for two twice a day washing dishes one 90 Gallons. Have done it several times.Takes planning.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:59 AM   #72

Our solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelRider View Post
Why is campground WiFi so bad!? I no longer even consider WiFi as an amenity, because it's always useless. And I actually find it irritating when it is listed as an amenity.

Last weekend I was in Vermont and the WiFi would almost play Netflix, though not quite, and I commented this was the best WiFi we've ever had at a campground, and it was still terrible (and the campground was pretty empty this time of year). Even right next to a router with excellent signal, I never get anything usable. And this has been universal everywhere we've stayed, whether out in the sticks, or right in a town/city.
Our solution is to get an unlimited data plan then we got Hulu, Disney+, Amazon and we use our phone. We turn off the WIFI and go over the air. You plug your phone into the tv and you have all the channels you want or need. There have been times that the phone signal is low so we watch it over the phone. My grandkids introduced me to the value of having unlimited data plans. The phone becomes your computer.
snuelken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:26 AM   #73
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuelken View Post
Our solution is to get an unlimited data plan then we got Hulu, Disney+, Amazon and we use our phone. We turn off the WIFI and go over the air. You plug your phone into the tv and you have all the channels you want or need. There have been times that the phone signal is low so we watch it over the phone. My grandkids introduced me to the value of having unlimited data plans. The phone becomes your computer.
Unless you are in Vermont.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:48 AM   #74

All of this is nonsense, if you need those kind of amenities sell everything related to camping and stay at a hotel.
It's the Starbucks syndrome....not happy with just a cup of coffee, it's got to be personalized.😂
Thatdarncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:54 AM   #75
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatdarncat View Post
All of this is nonsense, if you need those kind of amenities sell everything related to camping and stay at a hotel.
It's the Starbucks syndrome....not happy with just a cup of coffee, it's got to be personalized.😂
There are two major groups of RV'ers. Those who use the RV as a 'baseamp' and actually camp, and those who want a change of scenery, but want to spend tons of money to drag their whole house around with them with all the comforts of home. I think those folks are starting to outnumber those who actually camp. Just look at those people in an RV park you rarely see outdoors, just the glow of their 90 inch TV from their windows.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:01 AM   #76
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
ESPECIALLY when you have numerous bandwidth hogs who want to stream Hi-Rez video thus monopolizing a LIMITED resource rather than pay for their own satellite TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Camper View Post
Well, it’s because so many people think it’s their personal Wifi network and spend all day streaming movies and such, taking all the bandwidth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
How our campgrounds going to figure out there WiFi needs when campers are steaming on 3-4 TVs at the same time and all 5 of there kids have cell phones streaming videos?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
it's bad because so many are using it . Designed for checking email not streaming videos .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU2 View Post
Can't handle all the streaming and kids on their phones and Ipads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desuhu View Post
Not to mention that people have kids who want to stream stuff and that slows it down for everyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by elob_tx View Post
The majority of the systems out there were only installed to allow for minimal email and web surfing and definitely not for streaming services.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egalt View Post
Secondly, it's probably slow because people SHOULD NOT BE USING IT TO STREAM their programs (See first section).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetyme View Post
I think streaming or attempted streaming makes campground wifi even worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
People need to give up the streaming habit then most of the WiFi problems will stop.

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread or not but I have a feeling the reason may have something to do with people streaming? Just a guess...

Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:08 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread or not but I have a feeling the reason may have something to do with people streaming? Just a guess...
Oh yeah...good point. Nobody's mentioned that yet.
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:30 AM   #78
Trailer Park Supervisor

We must hear from everyone. Even if their posts are all the same! It's part of the Forest River Forum game!
Old 11-23-2021, 09:35 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlippinUid View Post
Last week we camped this fall we had outstanding wi-fi, in Vermont. It's simply a matter of most campground owners cheaping out. Indeed most campgrounds wi-fi sucks, unless maybe you go to the office. As I often work, but only checking & responding to email once or twice a day any wi-fi is appreciated.
Which campground were you at in Vermont?
Old 11-23-2021, 09:38 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuelken View Post
I have Verizon. My 'unlimited' plan gets capped at 10 gb for hotspot, and regular use gets tethered. Is there a true unlimited plan? I'd be happy to pay for it.

Tags
campground, mpg, wifi