Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #1

Why We Are a Part of Forest River Forums

There are great reasons to be on most forums and in today's world of communication multiplicities, I thought I would relate a recent event that states best why a year ago we joined FRF and remain on FRF.

...on Friday, January 6, 2017, David and I were pulling my "new to me" 2015 Rockwood 32' 5ver down I10 from Highlands Texas to Abbeville Louisiana. Outside were 33-degree temps, moderate rains and a 30mph headwind. For us Louisianians this is a recipe for disaster. There was reported ice and snow, yes snow, in central Louisiana and State Police were closing roads by the minute. We saw a few vehicles in the medium from accidents and there appeared to be many reasons for these 2 Louisiana boys to be concerned. Like 2 young kids, oblivious to our surroundings, David and I found ourselves just talking about our families, our grandkids, our work, our friendships and our common Faith in Christ.

I met David Cheatwood for the first time, in person, when he arrived at my home at 7:00am on a Friday morning. Though some may not think 7:00am is not early but when you live 2 1/2 hours away, in Natchitoches Louisiana, that shows real commitment. I was purchasing a Rockwood and David had offered to come with me. He said, "Tommy, if you would like I'd be glad to come with you as that would give you a second pair of eyes and since I own a Rockwood like this one i know what to look for." Well I was born but not yesterday so I said, "that would be awesome."

My wife and I started camping a year ago and sold our 2015 Puma in December of 2016 to purchase a larger one that would now fit our understood needs, wants and would accommodate our grandkids. If you have grandkids you understand. Additionally, I own a Titan 4-door truck that I've installed Roadmaster suspension components coupled with Firestone Airbags so I had specific needs. As I researched ALL about the Rockwood Signature Ultralite Series, one of my research places was on FRF. Over the past year FRF has given me great information so I was looking for those who could answer some questions about the Rockwood Model and about pulling with a Nissan or a Toyota. Sure enough there was David & Debbie Cheatwood. We had already PM'd, emailed and talked on the phone 3 times before I realized that David was an FRF Site Team Member. It is a good thing I like those moderators. hahahaha. David not only answered my questions but had insights about this Rockwood 8289WS that I never even considered. Well, after performing my camper-due-diligence and considering David's offer to come with me to Texas, we were set to go. We saw the speculated weather reports, though we both have experienced weatherman overkill, and we both had a desire to make it happen so we took off.

The trip to Highlands Texas was nice with a warm heater, a hot cup of coffee and great conversation. We arrived at the dealer location and in the midst of rain, wind and cold we examined ever inch of that camper. I was satisfied with what we saw so I finalized the paperwork. Now, we loaded up, hitched up and began the short trip home. We were an hour behind schedule but were looking good. As we entered the highway towards home we soon realized that the weather was going to be a factor from many angles. We stopped for fuel and to check out the camper for possible problems but all was good. We even stopped in Beaumont to eat at Pappadeaux's for some spinach dip, blackened catfish, crawfish étouffée and fried seafood. Again, checking the camper and off we went. We saw additional accidents so we slowed down a little, just for precaution, and made it back to my home at about 8:30pm. David and I parked this "much longer" 5th wheel, opened her up, turned on all the lights, put the slides out and grabbed my bundled up wife, in wind chill temps in the teens, to show her our NEW CAMPER! After Lisa and David met, he began to help me show her the features she would love the best and after letting her sit in the leather recliner with the tv and fireplace on, we began to say our goodbyes. After considering weather, road conditions and other factors David decided to drive home.

Now some may say, "how did you know this guy wasn't a serial killer?" Well for one David and Debbie are avid campers, but also their connection to FRF helped me to know that these campers, as well as campers in general, are some of the best people in the world. David surely did not disappoint.

In closing, I want to thank David & Debbie Cheatwood for caring for people and for people that are connected to Camping. As David said "you can get me to do just about anything for a bucket of fried chicken" but with all kidding aside, he drove to my home in less than perfect conditions, then traveled a state away just to help me make the best decision I could for me and my family. That is truly caring for people!! I might add that David and Debbie also reflect and represent the core values of FRF's and its desire to help people just like Lisa & me to love camping today and for many years to come.

Thank you for allowing me to share
Many Blessings to All
Tommy & Lisa Faulk
Abbeville, Louisiana

ps: David, whatever you do don't tell me my thread is in the wrong category.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2785.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	127754  
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Great story.
Thanks for sharing.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:52 AM   #3

This forum was invaluable as I researched the best RV for us. Ten days before Christmas I took a last minute road trip to Maryland from Louisiana to pick up my 2013 Rockwood 8289WS diamond package fifth wheel. It was the coldest day in December for Maryland in 10 years (a high of 23 degrees, winds 15 to 25 with gusts of 50 mph) not the best conditions for a Louisiana boy to pull a 5ver home for the first time.

After I got my camper I joined because of the willingness this forum's members have to share their knowledge and experience.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #4

Before I bought my Georgetown in 2012 I was lucky enough to stumble upon the forum. It was instrumental in saving me perhaps thousands of dollars with information on the problems FR and GT were experiencing at that time, such as the bad hydraulic lines on Lippert leveling jacks. Since, I have used the advice found on the forum from finding out the right LED replacement light bulbs, automatic stair replacement (more Lippert junk), securing my hot water tank so it doesn't fly out the trim panel, and a bunch of other things to either fix or watch out for.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfw View Post
This forum was invaluable as I researched the best RV for us. Ten days before Christmas I took a last minute road trip to Maryland from Louisiana to pick up my 2013 Rockwood 8289WS diamond package fifth wheel. It was the coldest day in December for Maryland in 10 years (a high of 23 degrees, winds 15 to 25 with gusts of 50 mph) not the best conditions for a Louisiana boy to pull a 5ver home for the first time.

After I got my camper I joined because of the willingness this forum's members have to share their knowledge and experience.
I thought going to Texas, in weather, was a stretch but MARYLAND.
Whew Whew
WHAT PART OF LOUISIANA ARE YOU FROM?
There truly is great knowledge & experience here. Thanks for sharing :-)
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:51 PM   #6
Site Team

I hope you and Lisa have many great trips in it. I'm still a little jealous of the 2 gray tanks. Lol.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #7

Thanks, and congratulations on your new camper. Safe travels!
RLHAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #8

What a great story. I have had a lot of help from this site just by reading the posts and responses. I hope to run into a site member when we start traveling.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #9

Great story you'll love your 8289WS we do and pull it with a 2013 Tundra with absolutely no problems
Old 01-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #10
Site Team

Congratulations, David C.!
This is a great story about a fellow team member.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #11

Great read,
and as a member with another brand 5er (SOB).
all the information is basically the same on each camper just different stickers.
plus it's great to read reports like this one.
randy
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:58 PM   #12

Excellent example of love and compassion for helping others out! Great story, so very glad you shared and posted.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:02 PM   #13

Great story!
Old 01-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #14

Why We Are A Part of Forest River Forum

My husband and I had a wonderful experience with an encounter of a forum member in the classified section....after having a class c for two years it really wasn't working for us so we went and purchased a travel trailer. We put our toad up for sale and a wonderful couple from Virginia contact us. After many phone calls and photos back and forth a decision was made to purchase the toad. The gentlemen offered to send a deposit as it would be two weeks until they could pick up the toad. As far as we were concerned his word was good enough.

Couple arrived in two weeks as promised, set up their class c in our driveway, hooked them into electric. They guys took off in the toad to go to the bank and go to the BMV. We women sat at home and had a glass of wine. I had dinner ready when the guys got back and then we spent a nice evening chatting with them.

The next morning we showed them how to hook up the Blue OX SMI towing and braking system and then they were on their way.

We have met wonderful people at the Goshen Rally, people on the forum who have helped answer our questions and people who we have met on our travels who belong to FROG. When we went to purchase a travel trailer we definitely wanted to stay with Forest River. We purchased a Puma Palomino Travel Trailer and are anxious for spring to arrive so we can head out.

Thank you to all who post on the forum for your valuable insight and lessons learned from been there and done that.

I need to change our picture of the class c to the travel trailer, but I just dread trying to do it on here.... it tries my patience.

Happy camping.
2018 297 RSK Primetime Crusader
The Mustard Seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:53 PM   #15

In my post I forgot to complement the OP on a "great" story not only of fellow Forest River RV'ers, but strangers, other than by online written words, coming together in a mutual love of the lifestyle. Cudo's also to Mustard Seed with a similar story, Thank You, there are friends to be found on this forum or somewhere down the road we travel.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:06 PM   #16
I go RV'ing not Camping

That is a great story. Thanks so much for sharing!
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #17

While you wouldn't think so after listening to the news these days, there are still lots of good people in this world. Restores your faith in humanity.

Hats off to all the good people on this (and other) RV sites!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfaulksr View Post
There are great reasons to be on most forums and in today's world of communication multiplicities, I thought I would relate a recent event that states best why a year ago we joined FRF and remain on FRF.

...on Friday, January 6, 2017, David and I were pulling my "new to me" 2015 Rockwood 32' 5ver down I10 from Highlands Texas to Abbeville Louisiana. Outside were 33-degree temps, moderate rains and a 30mph headwind. For us Louisianians this is a recipe for disaster. There was reported ice and snow, yes snow, in central Louisiana and State Police were closing roads by the minute. We saw a few vehicles in the medium from accidents and there appeared to be many reasons for these 2 Louisiana boys to be concerned. Like 2 young kids, oblivious to our surroundings, David and I found ourselves just talking about our families, our grandkids, our work, our friendships and our common Faith in Christ.

I met David Cheatwood for the first time, in person, when he arrived at my home at 7:00am on a Friday morning. Though some may not think 7:00am is not early but when you live 2 1/2 hours away, in Natchitoches Louisiana, that shows real commitment. I was purchasing a Rockwood and David had offered to come with me. He said, "Tommy, if you would like I'd be glad to come with you as that would give you a second pair of eyes and since I own a Rockwood like this one i know what to look for." Well I was born but not yesterday so I said, "that would be awesome."

My wife and I started camping a year ago and sold our 2015 Puma in December of 2016 to purchase a larger one that would now fit our understood needs, wants and would accommodate our grandkids. If you have grandkids you understand. Additionally, I own a Titan 4-door truck that I've installed Roadmaster suspension components coupled with Firestone Airbags so I had specific needs. As I researched ALL about the Rockwood Signature Ultralite Series, one of my research places was on FRF. Over the past year FRF has given me great information so I was looking for those who could answer some questions about the Rockwood Model and about pulling with a Nissan or a Toyota. Sure enough there was David & Debbie Cheatwood. We had already PM'd, emailed and talked on the phone 3 times before I realized that David was an FRF Site Team Member. It is a good thing I like those moderators. hahahaha. David not only answered my questions but had insights about this Rockwood 8289WS that I never even considered. Well, after performing my camper-due-diligence and considering David's offer to come with me to Texas, we were set to go. We saw the speculated weather reports, though we both have experienced weatherman overkill, and we both had a desire to make it happen so we took off.

The trip to Highlands Texas was nice with a warm heater, a hot cup of coffee and great conversation. We arrived at the dealer location and in the midst of rain, wind and cold we examined ever inch of that camper. I was satisfied with what we saw so I finalized the paperwork. Now, we loaded up, hitched up and began the short trip home. We were an hour behind schedule but were looking good. As we entered the highway towards home we soon realized that the weather was going to be a factor from many angles. We stopped for fuel and to check out the camper for possible problems but all was good. We even stopped in Beaumont to eat at Pappadeaux's for some spinach dip, blackened catfish, crawfish étouffée and fried seafood. Again, checking the camper and off we went. We saw additional accidents so we slowed down a little, just for precaution, and made it back to my home at about 8:30pm. David and I parked this "much longer" 5th wheel, opened her up, turned on all the lights, put the slides out and grabbed my bundled up wife, in wind chill temps in the teens, to show her our NEW CAMPER! After Lisa and David met, he began to help me show her the features she would love the best and after letting her sit in the leather recliner with the tv and fireplace on, we began to say our goodbyes. After considering weather, road conditions and other factors David decided to drive home.

Now some may say, "how did you know this guy wasn't a serial killer?" Well for one David and Debbie are avid campers, but also their connection to FRF helped me to know that these campers, as well as campers in general, are some of the best people in the world. David surely did not disappoint.

In closing, I want to thank David & Debbie Cheatwood for caring for people and for people that are connected to Camping. As David said "you can get me to do just about anything for a bucket of fried chicken" but with all kidding aside, he drove to my home in less than perfect conditions, then traveled a state away just to help me make the best decision I could for me and my family. That is truly caring for people!! I might add that David and Debbie also reflect and represent the core values of FRF's and its desire to help people just like Lisa & me to love camping today and for many years to come.

Thank you for allowing me to share
Many Blessings to All
Tommy & Lisa Faulk
Abbeville, Louisiana

ps: David, whatever you do don't tell me my thread is in the wrong category.
This sound like a S Louisiana story to me. My wife and I ran a B&B in Lafayette for 13 years. WE had visitors from all over teh planet. To a person they commented on how friendly,welcoming and overtly helpful the people in this part of the world are.

Im NOT surprised a bit, and even more proud to live in S Louisiana!
Old 01-10-2017, 06:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
While you wouldn't think so after listening to the news these days, there are still lots of good people in this world. Restores your faith in humanity.

Hats off to all the good people on this (and other) RV sites!
x2
Old 01-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #20
Site Team

Wow! It does this old heart good to read the op's (as well as the rest) excellent story. I also believe that campers are a very friendly, reliable bunch as a whole.

Tags
forest river