Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2020, 09:47 PM   #41
Senior Gold Member

My wife had had a few scary experiences driving her dads old motorhome so when we got married ( later in life) and bought our first truck and trailer, I had her take over the driving for short periods of time and on the straight aways. After a number of years her confidence is boosted and she now thinks we should spell each other off in 2 hour sessions which I appreciate. Last year we got a 32 motorhome and even though it’s shorter than our previous truck and trailer it is more effected by wind gusts so I had a heavy duty steering stabilizer installed and had the front end aligned and she is back to handling the motorhome very handily. She does about 30% of the driving and that helps a lot when your driving 10 hour days.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:05 PM   #42

Good idea, my wife and I are talking about it now. She’s good except the backing part. Thomas, I had a detached retina 3 years ago. All is good now but the two weeks of looking down and then no travel above 500’ elev for 2 months was a little rough.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:11 AM   #43

Ladies, learn to drive

Can’t believe the women who don’t/won’t drive. I drove the 36 foot pull behind and could parallel park it. I now drive the DP.
It is important to be self-sufficient. I can and do operate ever system. I know how to do all of the maintenance. Just not physically strong enough.
Accountingphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:05 AM   #44

After my DH had what we refer to as an "episode" on River Street in Savannah that cost us $800, I was forced to drive our truck and TT to our next destination. He managed to get it hooked up and I got us through rush hour construction traffic in Jacksonville and torrential rain while he slept the previous evening off. After 3 hours I had enough and pulled into a gas station and made him take over. My only previous experience was 20 minutes on regular roads with no traffic home from the dealership once.

We have are driving to the Keys this Christmas and just stopping in rest areas for breaks. I am sure I will need to drive some. I'm not scared to drive, it's the other people on the road that can't drive that scare me.
UGACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:14 AM   #45

I can drive the heck out of the rig forward, but I can't even back the car out of the driveway without my husband criticizing how I go into the grass. I do believe partners should be able to at least be able to drive forward.
vickyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #46

I’m the Wife. DH usually does most of the driving, but I have been the ‘relief’ driver since Day 1 with our TT. In 2018, while I had been driving, we had an accident (uneven lanes) that resulted in a rollover. People & pets were fine, but TT and tow vehicle were totaled. Replaced both immediately, and DH started doing ALL the driving. I interpreted that as he didn’t trust me anymore. When he realized he was exacerbating my own lack of confidence, he started getting in the passenger seat.
This past summer, DH experienced a nerve problem that affected his eyesight. He hasn’t been able to drive at all (towing or not) for almost 3 months. I’ve done all the driving and all the towing and all the backing. His vision is getting better, so on our current Texas-to-Florida trip, he drove an hour or so at a time on straight-aways.
I have a theory about backing into storage space or campsites, however. Until these last few months, I did the spotting/directing while he backed. Now roles are reversed. He is NOT a good spotter or direction-giver! I can follow directions, but he doesn’t envision how to get trailer where it needs to be as well as I’ve learned to do by sheer experience (he agrees). Getting into our current spot was a lengthy & embarrassing endeavor!
My point is this: it is not enough to be sure your travel partner can hitch and drive the rig; the primary backer also needs to learn the spotter role for backing!
Happy Driving; Happy Camping to us all!
flosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #47
waybeck2018

Over 16 years ago when we started RV life, we agreed that the DW would learn to drive whatever rig we had. We started with a 38ft fiver. I started her out slow on quiet roads and short interstate runs. On our third trip doing the Natchez Trace, Natchez, NOLA etc we were heading home with her driving on I-55. Just out of Hattiesburg a major storm came in with winds at least 50 MPH and driving rain. She asked what to do and I told her "keep driving and slow down". I put the flashers on. There was no way to get off the interstate safely since visibility was non-existent. Limbs as big as my lower arm were flying across the hood! (Now I know that some here will have snide comments saying I should have pulled over anyway. You were not there so keep your opinions to yourself)
After the storm passed we got off at the first opportunity to evaluate any damage. Had a dent or two on the F250 but nothing major. Later in a Class A, I am proud to say she could back uphill at an angle and park on a slice of loaf bread. Now that we have our third TT, she is not crazy about driving it but will to spell me on our long trips. We drive in two hour shifts. Sure makes the trip less tiring.

She is a gal to ride the river with. Scared of nothing except zip lines and sky diving. I can live with that!

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #48

Heck, my wife LOVES to driver our Class C.
I just go in the back, strap into the bench seat and cover my eyes. Especially on California 101.
Jan Gerstner. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:50 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Gerstner. View Post
Heck, my wife LOVES to driver our Class C.
I just go in the back, strap into the bench seat and cover my eyes. Especially on California 101.
I think you mean California Highway 1, not 101.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:20 PM   #50

Yeah, bikendan, THAT one! I was too terrified to look up to read the signs.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #51

Quote:
Yeah, bikendan, THAT one! I was too terrified to look up to read the signs.

I suggest you avoid the Moki Dugway then

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:27 PM   #52

Actually, the Moki Dugway and 101 would be perfect in my sports car! Just not a 14,000-lb top heavy box.
Old 10-13-2020, 05:32 PM   #53

Quote:
Actually, the Moki Dugway and 101 would be perfect in my sports car! Just not a 14,000-lb top heavy box.

It was "interesting" in a 25ft motor home with toad going up it

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #54

I'm sure my wife could drive to the nearest safe location if everything were hooked up and road ready....she would choose not to unless in an emergency situation. She is in the "I'll call your brother, or one of our boys to come get us mode".
Once, maybe fifteen years ago, she did have to tow our gooseneck horse trailer (large with a living quarters) with our F250 powerstroke. It was probably 35-40 miles back home and she did fine and turned the horses out into the pasture. Said she was a little scared and didn't want to ever do it again.
She has only driven our truck a few times since we bought it new...is certainly capable, just prefers not to.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:59 PM   #55

Hwy 1 southbound from Carmel can be a white knuckler particularly when traffic is heavy in both directions. That being said Hwy 101 in the LA and San Jose areas is a complete horror show. Attempt to change lanes in an RV at your peril.
tps28ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #56

It took 2 years but I finally got her to move it ahead and back up a few feet. She drove all the time when we had the pickup. But the HDT is a manual. I just want her to be able to get it to the next exit if something happens to me. Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1598577563667.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	241134
Old 10-13-2020, 07:55 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
It took 2 years but I finally got her to move it ahead and back up a few feet. She drove all the time when we had the pickup. But the HDT is a manual. I just want her to be able to get it to the next exit if something happens to me. Attachment 241134
Got enough torque there?!!
I drove 45 states over the road for 5 years after I got out of the Navy in '75, so I understand the comfort of sitting up high in an air ride seat and pull effortlessly. But why? What sort of fuel mileage you get with that rig? 7-8 mpg? What do you do for a daily driver when you are out on the road on a camping trip?
Nice outfit!

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:03 PM   #58

I average 9 mpg. Same as my suburban got with a small trailer. We use the truck to drive around in. Sometimes you have to park farther away and walk but the kids have lots of energy and I need the exercise.
I was a long haul trucker. I still drive local. I was already use to bobtailing to places I wanted to go.
I pull hills effortlessly and it stops alot better than a pickup truck. I have an on board generator and I can haul as much water as I want for boondocking and not have to worry about weight.

Tags
travel