Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #21

Why would dealer refuse test drive contingency?

I would never put money on anything I could not test drive to be sure I wanted it. When I bought mine (different dealer), I test drove three different ones. Based on that and other things, I did not buy the one I came in to buy. Can't drive it, can't buy it. When they pressure me, I walk.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #22

when shopping for are Burkshire tried to buy from local dealer close to home
long story short all said and done came down to 2 dealers MSH and crazey days FLA these two 10 K cheaper then everyone every ware also had unit and floor plan we wanted same thing they wanted some up front money .
in a way its a good thing don:t fly all the way there and find that someone
put deposit on that unit so we did deal .this was 013 had a few problems
nothing big fixed a few myself others i paid out of pocket
of the 10K saved i spent around 3K dont know if you are a gambling man
but it worked out for me

also saved 7 percent on the 10K sales tax

would i do it again for sure
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #23

Posters here who state liability issue blah blah, sorry (not), I don’t buy that.

We’ve bought more than one “high end” sports car, worth much more than these RV’s, and have always been able to take a test drive.

FWIW, in my non-retired life, in the transportation business I was in, I’ve lost count of how many tractors I test drove. (Rant off )

To the original poster, no test drive, NO SALE, nada, zip, zilch, zero!
Old 07-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #24

Repairs?

At some point you will need repair or service. Who is going to do it? The dealer 2000 miles away? There may be a dealer nearer to you but they are not obligated to provide service if you did not buy from them and will put your needs behind those of customers who did buy from them. Many stories of people waiting months for service.
grafic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:00 PM   #25
ARLO

I would definitely walk.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:38 PM   #26

Speaking from a sales side this is how I take it. As the dealer you want me to remove from my inventory “ what you are calling the only one like it in the states new or used. “ Then since you are coming from a great distance want the unit ready to roll. When you sign papers. I already let a 3rd party inspect it and wasn’t good enough for you. You need to put some skin in the game. Your included clause gives you a get out of jail free card. It doesn’t mean you can’t test drive it. I bet if you showed up tomorrow they would let you drive. However since you didn’t sign paperwork it won’t be ready. It will need cleaning, PI and other items done. I doubt they bump you to the front of the line cuz you are from out of town. Now how long is that going to take. Besides seems you trust the 3rd party inspection didn’t they drive it.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #27

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Several responses asking who will repair it, if needed, since the selling dealer is 2,000 miles away.

I have seen many, many posts on this forum and others telling how difficult it is to get repairs. There always seems to be long wait times for repairs, poor communication, shoddy repairs, manufacturer did not send parts, factory said they were not ordered by the dealer, wrong parts, damaged parts and I could go on and on about dealers. Non selling dealers often refuse to do repairs on units they did not sell and that is the reason Forest River and most manufacturers encourage buyers to buy locally. They are in the business of selling and not repairs. If you buy a unit anywhere and you have an issue soon after purchase you will almost always have a wait time for repairs. No unit is perfect and one often has to settle for units that are not exactly like they want. Consider the cost of bringing people down to do a local shake down of the unit. If you find issues I can almost guarantee that you that you will not be at the top of the list for repairs. Consider the sales tax and other fees. Sales taxes are based upon your home state.

I was naive when purchasing my first unit. Dealer talked me into a protection package. I asked how long it would take to have done and we would return to sign papers when completed. He told me I would have to bring it back for the protection package and it would take a week. When I asked why, they said "we have to get sold units ready for delivery." I walked.

As with all major purchases do not get an emotional attachment to it and it sounds, to me, that that is what you have done. $3,000 for a dealer prep is insane. It should be included as part of a deal at no cost.

I would send an email to the manufacturer explaining your situation and asking about using a local RV repair person for repairs. Email because you would have something in writing.

Good luck.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #28

Becasue they are not honest.
When I sell I horse, I give people 30 days to bring him back if not satisfied.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
Besides seems you trust the 3rd party inspection didn’t they drive it.
According to OP first post, they REFUSED to let the inspector drive it.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #30

I'm with the dealer on this one. The dealer allowed the inspector to inspect a NEW unit with a warranty. Sounds like the OP is nervous about a long distance transaction and/or can't make up his mind and keeps coming up with more demands. At some point the dealer has to draw a line in the sand. Putting contingencies in contracts is a warning sign for me, if I'm a seller. It doesn't surprise me they are asking for $3k up front.
We've bought most of our RVs long distance. But in this day and age you can take live video tours and handle all negotiations long distance very easily. We get there, do the final walk through, and sign the final contract. Of course we expect to put up earnest $$$ for them to hold it for us. Usually a percentage of that is refundable or transferable to another unit if we cancel the deal, depending on the reason. If we don't feel comfortable with a deal, we walk away, but we don't try to beat up the dealer in the process. In most states, you have three days to cancel a contract, so check that out.
For all those worried about not buying local and then not getting service, you are worried about nothing. We never see a dealer again after buying a unit. We use independent service only shops all over the country, even for warranty. We get much better and faster service from independents than we have ever gotten from any dealer.

Returning to a dealer you bought from does not guarantee any special priority for service.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #31

I have bought a number of RVs in my time. Don't ever recall test driving one.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #32

Not a motorhome guy, but the wife watches some channel that shows a lot of RV shows.....where a family is looking to buy one. In every one of those that involve a MH, the family test drives all the ones they are looking at. I can't imagine buying a vehicle that has a motor without driving it first. I'm not only looking for defects, I'm also looking to see how well I 'fit' into it, how it feels when driving. MH's do two things, and both should be tested.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:09 AM   #33

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Not sure a "3 day" cooling off period would apply. They usually are in effect if you make a contract with a salesman in your home. May apply if you are dealing from a distance but it would not apply if you are on their lot trying to negotiate a deal.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #34

I didn't read your whole story, so forgive me if my comments sound a little ignorant. . .

A dealer doesn't want to play by "your rules" and you blame them? Why not just find a place you're more comfortable doing business with? Why are you so stuck on using this dealer?
DNA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #35
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA Dan View Post
I didn't read your whole story, so forgive me if my comments sound a little ignorant. . .

A dealer doesn't want to play by "your rules" and you blame them? Why not just find a place you're more comfortable doing business with? Why are you so stuck on using this dealer?
Because the dealer has the ONLY unit the OP wants in the US. There's only one unit and this particular seller has it.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #36
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Not a motorhome guy, but the wife watches some channel that shows a lot of RV shows.....where a family is looking to buy one. In every one of those that involve a MH, the family test drives all the ones they are looking at. I can't imagine buying a vehicle that has a motor without driving it first. I'm not only looking for defects, I'm also looking to see how well I 'fit' into it, how it feels when driving. MH's do two things, and both should be tested.
I have read this whole thread and agree... I wouldn't but anything this expensive/ with a motor without a test drive.
I drove my motor home before I bought it. If I wouldn't have felt comfortable driving it, there wouldn't have been a sale.
OP.... You either need to walk because of no test drive or drop it. You have received too many opinions to still be indecisive. Do one or the other, but get off the pot!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:00 AM   #37
Site Team

There are some good arguments for both sides here but stepping back and taking an unbiased look at this helps understand what is going on.

Your actions ( continuous interaction with the dealer) is sending the message you really want this unit and will most likely agree and purchase it.

I am certain the dealer knows he has no competition and has the only one in the country ( unless he is totally incompetent).
Dealer may feel he has tried to meet your demands and has drawn a line.
You may be giving the dealer the impression you are having second thoughts and looking for a reason to walk or negotiate a lower price.
Based on other new owners experience you most likely will have some warranty issues. Are you prepared for the hassle of getting warranty issues resolved in a timely manner by a non-selling dealer.
Test drives are primarily designed to ferret out chassis/motor/drive train issues. These are most likely handled by the chassis manufacturer and not the dealer.

There is also the possibility that another buyer may come along and grab this while you are deciding what to do.

The purchase of big ticket items like vehicles is changing. Today people are buying and selling vehicles site unseen on the internet. Going to be tough for us older folks to get used to.

If you are set on this one of a kind unit, you may want to move on it and handle any issues that arise.

Again not defending either side, but rather pointing out some facts.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #38

Never heard of a dealer not letting serious and qualified prospective buyers test drive a rig whether new or used. I'd be walking before my wife clubbed them!

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:45 AM   #39

So...show up and drive the thing or walk away. I am sure that they would let you drive it and then do the prep after you signed the papers.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
So...show up and drive the thing or walk away. I am sure that they would let you drive it and then do the prep after you signed the papers.
My thoughts exactly. Better hope the dealer doesn't read this thread, or the price might just double on you. My take is the dealer knows what he has, (a very limited circulation special RV). If I were in his position, I would have a "take it or leave it" attitude as well. Why risk having a customer put miles on the vehicle then walk, making it less attractive for the next buyer? You have to remember, these things are investments for most dealers. If OP was smart, he'd stop being so "committed" to something he hasn't even bought. Even if I was 1000000% sold on something, I'd still walk away if I didn't like the terms of the deal.
DNA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, fuse